• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD June 2011 Sales Results [Update5: Most HW in, Infamous 2]

Takao

Banned
Kastrioti said:
Haha its hilarious to see Nintendo now using "the family of systems" with the 3DS, after we saw Sony do it for so many years to cover up lagging PS3 sales.

The tides, they are turning.

Nintendo did the exact same thing early on with the DS, by adding it to the GBA's sales and calling it their "handheld family".

Owzers

Shadows of the Damned bombed too hard, it bombed so hard they didn't bother dropping the price whereas Alice was on sale everywhere for $35-$40, Shadows only had one Kmart deal so far for a $15 off coupon and now it's back to $60 everywhere. I was willing to buy the game for $40 but Amazon never dropped it, now i have it coming from Gamefly and will buy it later on if it's great.

And i'm glad Resident Evil Mercenaries didn't sell well.

Kastrioti said:
Haha its hilarious to see Nintendo now using "the family of systems" with the 3DS, after we saw Sony do it for so many years to cover up lagging PS3 sales.

The tides, they are turning.
Uh... the DS "family of systems" doesn't include 3DS in that PR. It's for DSL/DSi/XL. Nintendo's not Sony level yet. ;)

a Master Ninja said:
I assume you are kidding, but if not: NMH2 bombed.
wii development budget is automatically considerably lower for the sake of its not being HD and not bothering with two different systems, so bombing on Wii isn't that painful. and I believe it didn't bomb this hard. and NMH1 sold a lot (for a suda game)

Replicant said:
Maybe I'm wrong but I think it doubles the lifetime sale of the first one. So I guess, yes?
That's not right. In the first two months (Or 40 days, basically when it charted), Infamous did 369k. In its first month it did 178k (in 10 days on sale).

By comparison, Infamous 2 has done 369k in 25 days on sale, to about 8.9m more PS3s.

Edit - I have no idea why my numbers were screwed up. Should be right now.

Jokeropia

Kastrioti said:
Again, Nintendo are not doing that. "DS Family" does not include 3DS. It's even spelled out in the OP ffs.

lunchwithyuzo said:
I doubt COE will be anywhere close to being called one of the best-selling Kinect titles. XBLA's conditioned the audience to expect this sort of game as a $15 download or reject it outright.

And with good reason. The current $30 price is a lot closer to what the market would realistically handle.

As unfair as some people may think it is, if games like CoE, Rise of Nightmares (yeah, this game is still coming out in September, lol), and Steel Batallion/Project Draco don't set the world on fire, the hardcore support (what little there is) is going to dry up quick. CoE can also be played on a pad, so you can't even blame its lack of sales on the Kinect userbase, just general 360 apathy.

Takao said:
Nintendo did the exact same thing early on with the DS, by adding it to the GBA's sales and calling it their "handheld family".
Except it's not the exact same thing, since "DS family" doesn't include 3DS.

Has PlayStation family conditioned people or something?

Jtyettis said:
Doesn't need to change. Mine ain't changing either and yes MS will drop the price this year 100%.

I never suggested you should change yours. I don't know Balmer like you so I'm not 100% sure, but I also think MS will drop the price this year, they just don't need to, especially not a U$100 price drop, as a matter of fact I think a U$99 SKU would lose them money on the hardware.

Takao said:
Personally, I saw NMH's success as a starving audience willing to champion anything due to software droughts. I don't think the game's very good, nor do I think it would've been as successful if it wasn't when it was.
There was a brief window there where M-Rated games like RE4, NMH, and HotD2&3 sold well. By the end of the Wii's second year the audience for those games abandoned the platform.

I think Gamestop had Child of Eden for $30 only a week after release. I'm pretty sure the price was not the issue. I just don't think there is a large enough audience for that type of game.

Sho_Nuff82 said:
And with good reason. The current $30 price is a lot closer to what the market would realistically handle.

As unfair as some people may think it is, if games like CoE, Rise of Nightmares (yeah, this game is still coming out in September, lol), and Steel Batallion/Project Draco don't set the world on fire, the hardcore support (what little there is) is going to dry up quick. CoE can also be played on a pad, so you can't even blame its lack of sales on the Kinect userbase, just general 360 apathy.
None of these games are going to sell. And I doubt their devs really expected them to, Microsoft was just out with the hats and they decided to jump in.

There used to be a market for this sort of stuff at full price on Wii and the handhelds, but even that's dried up now. Japan's fucked. :(

Sho_Nuff82 said:

after seeing Kinect this e3, I completely lost faith in it being a viable solution for any serious game (because of lag and imprecise controls), and I was and am a real believer in its overall performance, but because how good it does what wii casual does.

a Master Ninja said:
There was a brief window there where M-Rated games like RE4, NMH, and HotD2&3 sold well. By the end of the Wii's second year the audience for those games abandoned the platform.
It's all NOA's fault. Should've released Disasta!

a Master Ninja said:

did No More Heroes sell well?

pharmboy044 said:
Yeah, you're right. People don't want hardcore games for Kinect. This pretty much proves it.

I don't think it does prove that - Child of Eden is a pretty niche game and isn't even a Kinect exclusive title (like Rez, you can play it with a regular controller). I think this type of game is just a hard sell for most gamers.

GarthVaderUK said:
I don't think it does prove that - Child of Eden is a pretty niche game and isn't even a Kinect exclusive title (like Rez, you can play it with a regular controller). I think this type of game is just a hard sell for most gamers.

I think the market for quirkier, "more Japanese" games has dwindled. Look at the top ten. The onyl Japanese game is a port of a n64 game....

Takao said:
Personally, I saw NMH's success as a starving audience willing to champion anything due to software droughts. I don't think the game's very good, nor do I think it would've been as successful if it wasn't when it was.
It's style as substance. You get that usually with Suda, he's a lot like Kojima.

I agree it was a good combination of timing and audience though. Same thing happened with Chromehounds and Dead Rising on 360 or (in Japan) WKC on PS3. Or going back further, Symphonia on Gamecube.

Takao

Banned
creamsugar said:
wp motion <30k
CoE <35k
SotD: <25k (360>ps3)
ssf4ae: <20k (ps3>360)
alice < 120k (360>ps3)

That's pretty low for Wii Play Motion. Did Nintendo not advertise it at all?

Takao said:
That's pretty low for Wii Play Motion. Did Nintendo not advertise it at all?

I thought people only bought it for the controller. Not alot of Wii's being sold right now so not alot of people needing that second controller.

Peterthumpa

At least Alice sold well despite the general reviews saying it sucked (which isn't true).
Here's hoping for a sequel also from Spicy Horse, game looks amazing (best looking 3D Vision game, period) and plays really well on the PC.

creamsugar said:
wp motion <30k
CoE <35k
SotD: <25k (360>ps3)
ssf4ae: <20k (ps3>360)
alice < 120k (360>ps3)
lol@wii software sales. how did it manage to become that fucked up?

I thought people only bought it for the controller.Not alot of Wii's being sold right now so not alot of people needing that second controller.
wii selling at 300K, hardware wise; software wise the only game in top 10 was just dance. (although seperate SKU it would probably be higher)

The problem with SotD is it just came off as largely uninteresting (despite not being) so word of mouth didn't really spread, and it got zero advertising (from what I've seen, or not seen).

C-Jo

It's hard to get a good picture of how well SSF4AE did without download numbers. The disc release essentially acts as a replacement for the existing SSF4 box, and I can't imagine many people are just getting into SF4 now.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
ShockingAlberto said:
Hmm. Willing to bet Sony is going to ask Sucker Punch to make an inFamous 3.
I read the plot summary online after reading Yahtzee's column on it, and I really don't see how they could make a 3.

Top Bottom