• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD June 2011 Sales Results [Update5: Most HW in, Infamous 2]

The M.O.B

If Alice is anywhere near 100K given the non-advertising by EA and a meager budget(They even had to hire freelancers to get the job done), Spicy Horse deserves to be given another chance at an HD game instead of being relegated to making iOS games forever.

Also I take credit for 10K of those sales thanks to me being relentlessness in recommending that game to everyone.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Been dying to buy Alice and Shadows of the Damned since they launched, but not for $120+. Alice is still $60 at Best Buy, but people claim it's now $40 elsewhere?

As good as Shadows likely is, I'm just not content with the full price tag given how fast drops occur. I am pretty much done with buying $60 games outside of the few major fall releases. Just been screwed too many times on near immediate price drops.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Scum said:
NoA must be in for some grilling from NCL pretty soon... :O
I don't think they really can.

I mean, it's not like they let NoA greenlight and make their owns games to serve the region.

Brandon F said:
Been dying to buy Alice and Shadows of the Damned since they launched, but not for $120+. Alice is still $60 at Best Buy, but people claim it's now $40 elsewhere?

As good as Shadows likely is, I'm just not content with the full price tag given how fast drops occur. I am pretty much done with buying $60 games outside of the few major fall releases. Just been screwed too many times on near immediate price drops.
Best Buy does have the buy two, get one free deal this week.

I think beside NoA being ass, 3rd party publishers are stupid as well, if they continued supporting Wii with their software, games like Alice would have a chance of selling on it at least as good as HD consoles. I believe they could have made Epic doing something for UE to run in Wii with much less features.

I don't think they really can.

I mean, it's not like they let NoA greenlight and make their owns games to serve the region.
and it's not as if in Japan they have done much better.

Majine

Banned
This months surprise has to be the absence of Wii Play Motion. The sequel to the best selling console game of all time didn't even chart in Top10? Remarkable.

C-Jo

Majine said:
This month's surprise has to be the absence of Wii Play Motion. The sequal to the best selling games of all time didn't even chart in Top10? Remarkable.
People full up on extra controllers?

Kusagari

Brandon F said:

Alice has been $40 at multiple places for weeks, off and on, including Gamestop and Amazon.

I am interested in how much Shadows shipped to begin with. I feel like it didn't exactly ship a lot of copies to begin with.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
jvm said:
No, I think I'm still pretty spot-on with the figures I've published.

If I take 34% of the LTD 3DS figure I have in my data, I come up with a figure within 3K of the 280K that has been published by NPD through Eurogamer. It is very common for NPD to round a publicly released sales figure to nearest even multiple of 10K or 5K, so I see everything as consistent.

Edit: Also, looking at 34% of my figure, I get almost precisely the 283K that Nintendo released. That's it. If you're going by the daily rate I published last month, take into account rounding, because you can't simply multiply out...

Okay, thanks for clearing that up. Btw did you ever get DS numbers for last month?

BurntPork

Banned
Takao said:
PSP as in PlayStation Portable? Holy fucking crap.

I will be amazed if 3DS falls below PSP next month.
Sadly, that's a guarantee. 3DS and PSP are competing for the same market, and PSP is half the 3DS's price. 3DS will sell about 50k in August. I checked my crystal ball.

Majine said:
This months surprise has to be the absence of Wii Play Motion. The sequel to the best selling console game of all time didn't even chart in Top10? Remarkable.

Them casual folks have long forgotten about the Wii unless it has dance in the title.

Speevy

Banned
Majine said:
This months surprise has to be the absence of Wii Play Motion. The sequel to the best selling games of all time didn't even chart in Top10? Remarkable.

Thank you for buying a peripheral that we've barely supported at all, I hope you enjoy another minigame collection.

The M.O.B

Why wasn't SOTD, a UE3 game, not on PC???

Not saying that would have given it a boost in sales but what excuse do they have to not put it on PC as well?

I understand Grasshopper is a smallish Japanese dev but why did EA not put together a PC port team to get it out?

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
creamsugar said:
PSP ~120k
REtM < 30K

wow @ psp numbers, nearly matching 3ds with Zelda release, I can't beleive that, I hope Vita can cut it @ $250, I feel it has a better value proposition than the 3DS but I'm still worried.

creamsugar said:
wp motion <30k

Jesus

SotD: <25k (360>ps3)

Mary

ssf4ae: <20k (ps3>360)

and Joseph. Are we becoming like Japan in our complete aversion to Eastern games? The only Japanese game in the top 10 is the sequel to a 13 yo GOTY.

alice < 120k (360>ps3)

This is surprising. Completely new IP for 360/PS3 gamers, and it outsold Shadows almost 5:1.

Well, at least it's better than Resident Evil Mercenaries.
two more Japanese bombas

Edit: I'd totally forgotten that Wii Play was the best selling game in the US of all time before Black Ops. And its sequel is <30k. Just an amazing fall from grace for the Wii.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
jvm said:
Looks like the weekly rate was up 56% in June. ;)

Why can't you just give exact numbers. *pouts*

Does creamsugar have a history of giving NPD numbers? Don't recall seeing them post NPD numbers in the past.

LuchaShaq

Banned
The_Technomancer said:
I read the plot summary online after reading Yahtzee's column on it, and I really don't see how they could make a 3.

The infamous story isn't well written enough for most to care if they retcon certain decisions or just make you play as a different superhero with electric powers that are basically guns.

Dai101

Banned
Majine said:

Did a Super METROID 2 came out last month and i didn't notice? FUCK ......

Speevy

Banned
BladeoftheImmortal said:
And I can't fucking wait.

It's nice to see them making a quality series that does well, but you just know this farmed out Sly 4 is going to be of a lesser caliber than Sucker Punch could do themselves.

jvm

Gamasutra.
A Human Becoming said:
Why can't you just give exact numbers. *pouts*
Because there are unspoken rules, I regret to say. Rates and relative changes are generally speaking acceptable proxies for explicit figures.

Huff

Banned
Speevy said:
It's nice to see them making a quality series that does well, but you just know this farmed out Sly 4 is going to be of a lesser caliber than Sucker Punch could do themselves.

Possibly, but Sly 4 is apparently shaping up great from all that I've read.

Live Free or Die said:
people still worry about this stuff? weird.

Worry? People are still interested in the industry, if that's what you mean. GAF is still a much better place to discuss game sales than most of the internet.

Massa said:
I'm willing to bet they're already making it.
I dunno. inFamous 2 really gave off the feel they wanted to do something else; maybe because they wanted to change the character and the fans did not let them, maybe because they didn't want to change the character and Sony wanted them to, maybe because of the rumors of focus tests where they had to make the choices more clear and less gray, maybe because Insomniac is branching out in to multiplatform development and inFamous is wholly owned by Sony.

But I think they made inFamous 2 with the assumption that the series would not continue unless Sony drove a truck of money to their office. I think the truck of money is incoming or already there.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
507K. Uh, that is fucking amazing. I've been an Xbox supporter since day 1 but damn. Time to go work out on my Kinect with EA Sports Active 2, lol. That damn Kinect has done it.

Top Bottom