• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD June 2011 Sales Results [Update5: Most HW in, Infamous 2]

Scum

Nirolak said:
I don't think they really can.

I mean, it's not like they let NoA greenlight and make their owns games to serve the region.
Pfft. So NCL are just as bad. All hail, NoE! At least we're getting something worthwhile soon. :lol

Speevy said:
It's nice to see them making a quality series that does well, but you just know this farmed out Sly 4 is going to be of a lesser caliber than Sucker Punch could do themselves.
Yeah, this is the other thing.

I really, really wish Sucker Punch was doing Sly 4. I mean, maybe Sanzaru can put out a competent product, but what they've shown so far isn't encouraging. I would rather have waited until Sucker Punch finished the inFamous series and got to Sly 4 themselves (even if it meant missing the generation) than what we've gotten so far.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
jvm said:
Because there are unspoken rules, I regret to say. Rates and relative changes are generally speaking acceptable proxies for explicit figures.

Gotcha. Thanks for the tip anyway.

Jokeropia said:
386 / 5 = 77.2 (weekly rate in June). 77.2 / 1.56 = 49.5k. May was a 4 week NPD month, so ~198k for DS in May.

And thanks to you for doing the math!

So here we go:

YTD

DS 2,048,732
360 2,423,214
PS3 1,691,948
Wii 1,744,870
3DS 832,000

LTD

DS 49,353,483
360 27,818,373
PS3 17,153,921
Wii 35,894,494
3DS 832,000

If creamsugar's PSP number is legit and I can somehow (*hint hint jvm*) get an estimate on PSP sales for last month, I'll re-post with it included.

EDIT: DS numbers have been fixed.

Truth101

Banned
Deadbeat said:
I wonder how long nintendo will keep the DS going. Anyone have an idea compared to the GBA?

I think Nintendo is going to let the DS die out on it's own accord like the PS2. There really isn't a reason to kill it off, not unless the 3DS sales get drastically worse.

a Master Ninja said:
I assume you are kidding, but if not: NMH2 bombed.

NMH2 didn't bomb it performed accordingly to its budget (hence a sequel to the sequel).

The reason why it didn't do as good as the first one as because it was sent to die.

EDIT - The game sold more in one week than Shadow of the Damned (which is like 2 days longer).

Takao said:
Personally, I saw NMH's success as a starving audience willing to champion anything due to software droughts. I don't think the game's very good, nor do I think it would've been as successful if it wasn't when it was.

As much as Suda fans will deny it this is true. No More Heroes succeeded for similar reasons to why Tales of Symphonia succeeded. It targeted a specific market starved for a specific type of content.

a Master Ninja said:
There was a brief window there where M-Rated games like RE4, NMH, and HotD2&3 sold well. By the end of the Wii's second year the audience for those games abandoned the platform.

The Wii really could have been the next Playstation 2 is it got series backing from third party publishers prior 2009.

creamsugar said:
wp motion <30k
CoE <35k
SotD: <25k (360>ps3)
ssf4ae: <20k (ps3>360)
alice < 120k (360>ps3)

Sucks for SotD. And CoE?

Yo Gotti

Banned
Less than 25K for SotD? That's unbelievable.

The marketing was little to none, but damn.

Hopefully it has legs from word of mouth.

AniHawk

Deadbeat said:
I wonder how long nintendo will keep the DS going. Anyone have an idea compared to the GBA?

nintendo ended the gba something like three years after ds launched. the ds also launched only 3.5 years after the gba launched though, so...

hard to say. i mean, they did release a game boy advance revision in 2005 for some reason.

Truth101 said:
I think Nintendo is going to let the DS die out on it's own accord like the PS2. There really isn't a reason to kill it off, not unless the 3DS sales get drastically worse.

It's profitable and almost all of their major first party games still sell at full MSRP. I'm sure it will remain a profitable product for at least two more years...

Truth101

Banned
outunderthestars said:
It's profitable and almost all of their major first party games still sell at full MSRP. I'm sure it will remain a profitable product for at least two more years...

Oh, I completely agree.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Wario64 said:
Any idea on what the budget was for Shadows of the Damned?
I'd assume they didn't 'waste' much on marketing.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Too many people still playing LA Noire?

With the good reviews and positive word of mouth (damn, the game is good!) hopefully SoTD has a nice long burn.

Mercilessly depressing month for fans of otherwise incredible japanese-made games. If Catherine bombs next month I'm going to start readying the noose.

Elginer said:
This. I'm interested to see if this was a super bomba. Shame as I'm enjoying it. Oh and WTF EA?! Shadows of the Damned was sent to die. :(

How could it have been "given life" exactly? I mean, I guess I just don't understand the appeal.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Deadbeat said:
I still feel that Nintendo should let the DS have one more holiday and then quietly let hardware dry up in the first quarter of 2012. Simultaneously drop the 3DS price to $200, maybe lower, depending on how Christmas goes.

Montresor

Less than 25k for Shadows of the Damned. What the hell. =/ Why didn't EA market this game? This is the kind of awesome action game that tons of people would love. I don't see how the millions of RE4 fans out there wouldn't just lap this game up.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Do people really think marketing would have saved Shadows of the Damned?

Kazerei

Banned
AniHawk said:
nintendo ended the gba something like three years after ds launched. the ds also launched only 3.5 years after the gba launched though, so...

hard to say. i mean, they did release a game boy advance revision in 2005 for some reason.

Hey, I love my GameBoy Micro! Even though I don't know why Nintendo released it, I'm really glad they did. It's undeniably the best designed portable videogame console ever. <3

meltingparappa said:
Mercilessly depressing month for fans of otherwise incredible japanese-made games. If Catherine bombs next month I'm going to start readying the noose.

you're gonna wanna go ahead and get some rope.

Dance In My Blood said:

Marketing and PR is more than ads. It's getting the game out in the enthusiast press early, getting people talking about the game, generating the seeds of interest.

I've owned every game system since the 2600 and today was the first time I ever heard of this game. That is a complete and total failure of pr and marketing.

Kusagari

Dance In My Blood said:

Half of GAF came into the official thread not even knowing it was out. When hardcore gamers don't even know the game came out, something is wrong.

duk

Banned
A Human Becoming said:
Gotcha. Thanks for the tip anyway.

And thanks to you for doing the math!

So here we go:

YTD

DS 1,850,732
360 2,423,214
PS3 1,691,948
Wii 1,744,870
3DS 832,000

LTD

DS 49,155,483
360 27,818,373
PS3 17,153,921
Wii 35,894,494
3DS 832,000

If creamsugar's PSP number is legit and I can somehow (*hint hint jvm*) get an estimate on PSP sales for last month, I'll re-post with it included.

awesome thanks for this

360 dat machine!

Microsoft:

Lloydcasuallove.gif

BurntPork

Banned
jvm said:
I still feel that Nintendo should let the DS have one more holiday and then quietly let hardware dry up in the first quarter of 2012. Simultaneously drop the 3DS price to $200, maybe lower, depending on how Christmas goes.
If they had any sense, they'd have a conference in early October where they

give a full Wii U rundown, with online explained, a launch quarter given, and a price
cut the price of the DSi to $130
cut the price of the DSi XL to $150
cut the price of the 3DS to $180
give launch dates for Zelda SS, SM3DS, MK3DS, and KI:U
announce new games for 3DS and Wii U

I should run Nintendo. 3DS would have sold 3 million by now if I were in-charge.

Duxxy3

Truth101 said:

What's confusing to me is that when nintendo puts out a big title it sells well and month to month the DS sales are strong to very strong. Come christmas time as long as nintendo is still making them i think they're gonna be behind the 360 in sales.

So why did they push so hard to get the 3DS out?

Darkgran

Those 360 numbers cant be right.

There was just a thread a couple of weeks ago and everyone was saying they had switched from the 360 to PS3.

NateDrake

BurntPork said:
If they had any sense, they'd have a conference in early October where they

give a full Wii U rundown, with online explained, a launch quarter given, and a price
cut the price of the DSi to $130
cut the price of the DSi XL to $150
cut the price of the 3DS to $180
give launch dates for Zelda SS, SM3DS, MK3DS, and KI:U
announce new games for 3DS and Wii U

I should run Nintendo. 3DS would have sold 3 million by now if I were in-charge.
You would have pulled the plug on launch day. Amazingly Nintendo could do some of those things but a 3DS price drop of $70 won't be one of them.

BurntPork

Banned
Duxxy3 said:
What's confusing to me is that when nintendo puts out a big title it sells well and month to month the DS sales are strong to very strong. Come christmas time as long as nintendo is still making them i think they're gonna be behind the 360 in sales.

So why did they push so hard to get the 3DS out?
Their developers probably got bored.

NateDrake said:
You would have pulled the plug on launch day. Amazingly Nintendo could do some of those things but a 3DS price drop of $70 won't be one of them.
Then they're idiots and horrible businessmen.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
outunderthestars said:
Marketing and PR is more than ads. It's getting the game out in the enthusiast press early, getting people talking about the game, generating the seeds of interest.

I've owned every game system since the 2600 and today was the first time I ever heard of this game. That is a complete and total failure of pr and marketing.
It's been out there. I've heard about it on podcasts and news sites, but it didn't really catch so the fickle gaming press was done with it and the conversations quickly ended. It's easy to blame the PR when a game doesn't sell well, but there are other games thrown into a similar situation that fare much better. EA also put out Alice this month with almost no fanfare to speak of, but that seemed to do fairly well.

Truth101

Banned
BurntPork said:
Their developers probably got bored.

Then they're idiots and horrible businessmen.

Ugh... Could you troll more obviously

Nitnendo might be a bit dense at times, but they have an incredible sense for business and profit.

TheNatural

My Member!
Nirolak said:
I don't think they really can.

I mean, it's not like they let NoA greenlight and make their owns games to serve the region.

I always wondered how NCL vs. NoA worked. Like people have been outcrying for these games to be released in America, so who's decision is that that they're not? NCL's or NoA's? Because NoA is the one getting the blame.

And if it is their decision, exactly which games do they have decision making on? For example, are there games that the homebase Nintendo NCL tell all their regions they have to release, like all the big Zelda, Mario games, etc? And then there's a group of lesser titles they choose that they think will sell more?

I don't really get how this all works. It's not like NoA could tell NCL that they aren't going to release Skyward Sword. Not that that would ever happen, but I'm wondering at which point what comes to different region changes from NCL's burden to NoA or NoE.

Camilos

Banned
Darkgran said:
Those 360 numbers cant be right.

There was just a thread a couple of weeks ago and everyone was saying they had switched from the 360 to PS3.
Perhaps NPD is purposely ignoring all transactions made by gaffers?!?!

Top Bottom