• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD June 2011 Sales Results [Update5: Most HW in, Infamous 2]

LestradeTGQ

Neo Member
BurntPork said:
Then they're idiots and horrible businessmen.

Not trolling; just stating that Nintendo has been very successful in business for 122 years, which would prove this assertion a little off the mark.

BurntPork

Banned
Truth101 said:
Ugh... Could you troll more obviously

Nitnendo might be a bit dense at times, but they have an incredible sense for business and profit.
They used to. Then they got hit with the same stupid bug that hit Sony in 2006. Consoles selling over 120 million is obviously a bad thing, since it makes execs think they can sell on name alone. I hope nothing like that ever happens again. There should be a rule that a console must be put out of production upon its 100 millionth shipment.

AniHawk

BurntPork said:
They used to. Then they got hit with the same stupid bug that hit Sony in 2006. Consoles selling over 120 million is obviously a bad thing, since it makes execs think they can sell on name alone. I hope nothing like that ever happens again. There should be a rule that a console must be put out of production upon its 100 millionth shipment.

looks like that rule will start going into effect with the wii.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
samus4ever said:
I'm surprised at the PSP. It's been selling out at amazon a lot. I was looking to pick up a 3000 but every time I check it's sold out!
Wasn't that Hanna Montana PSP selling at Target for $30 or something? It was a clearance special.

Still, crazy bump there.

chubigans said:
Wasn't that Hanna Montana PSP selling at Target for $30 or something? It was a clearance special.

Still, crazy bump there.

Really? That's the one I was looking for the whole time! Sweet nibblets.

On a serious note target was selling it on amazon but they wanted an insane shipping price. I saw amazon got them in stock but by the time I got home it was already out.

M-PG71C

I can assure anyone who thinks they can run a business after taking classes, let alone a degree, has no fucking clue how it really goes down.

I've learned more about being an adminstrator after getting into that position and being the one who who actually spends hours planning meticulously every move and action and coordinating with people who are clearly brighter than I am.

There is so much that goes into a decision, teams of people who are very bright and would make decisions that have clear implications on their career. It's not a pissing contest.

Anyway, I'm surprised DNF did that well, I guess we can expect more of him eh?

BurntPork

Banned
TheNatural said:
::Golf claps::

Get back with us with your expertise when you reach three.
Well, I think we can all agree that 3DS will continue to sell horribly until the price is cut to $199.99 or lower, right? (Granted, it's flopping in Europe despite acceptable pricing by retailers, so it really is possible that people just don't want it and Nintendo should have stuck with DS for another year or two.)

Jin34

Wait Shadows of the Damned is the Suda/Mikami game? That came out last month?!? I thought that was next year or something seeing as I hadn't heard shit about it since its reveal.

Danny 117

Very impressive showing from MS! I just hope they don't get carried away and turn their focus completely to the casuals and kinect. Halo and Gears aren't enough!

Ravage

inFamous2 did good :)

Not sure how a sequel will work out after inF2's ending but i'm pretty sure Sucker Punch isn't ready to let go of the franchise just yet.

BurntPork

Banned
Kazerei said:
What's with all the doom and gloom over the 3DS? It's doing fine.
PSP is going to surpass it next month. (In fact, I think what happened is that DS owners ready to upgrade got tired of waiting for 3DS to get games and a price drop, so the jumped ship to PSP.) That's not good at all, unless we assume that PSN store was the reason for the bump.

Ravage said:
inFamous2 did good :)

Not sure how a sequel will work out after inF2's ending but i'm pretty sure Sucker Punch isn't ready to let go of the franchise just yet.

I'd prefer that it be held off and worked on as a PS4 launch title. I'd really like to see them work on something other than one franchise for the entire generation. They have been one of the most consistent developers of the last decade, having never released a game with a sub 80% review average.

let's see what new world they can create.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
WickedLaharl said:
woah forgot all about RF:A. i'm glad it did so poorly although i do hope the series isn't killed off entirely.
Now they're gonna can Volition and cancel their upcoming Descent game.

unomas

Banned
It's just a combination of everything for Microsoft, they took their lumps with the first Xbox and did something spectacular with the 360. There are so many factors to it's success I don't even know if I can list them all.

1) 3rd party support along with stuff like Halo and Gears

2) The interface of the console (clearly the most appealing and user friendly)

3) Xbox Live ( people go where there friends are)

4) Xbox apps (ESPN huge! Netflix, Hulu Plus, Last FM, Zune marketplace)

5) Best controller, number one in FPS games

6) Xbox Live Arcade (Limbo, Castle Crashers, Braid etc. etc. and many more)

7) Kinect (It's now made it a family friendly console to go alongwith those FPS games)

8) Xbox Diamond??? If they can bring live TV to the mix they will own the living room. Live is what Google + could be, a damn near one stop shop for all your entertainment needs through your tv. Google + could be that for your internet experience. None of the other consoles come reasonably close, and MS was smart to separate themselves in this way.

I actually just sold my Kinect yesterday, but if some good games come out for it that I want to play I'll definitely buy one off of Amazon with the right titles available.

At this point I use my 360 more for things like Netflix and ESPN than actual gaming, but I'll be in full gaming mode again when Gears comes out. Props to MS for doing the right things and they're now in full control of this gen, hopefully they don't screw it up by trying to dick over their customers.

Road

PRjts.png

I'll leave the more elaborate graphics for jvm on his column. =P

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Haven't read through the thread but did anyone mention the quote from Pachter's twitter that the 360 figures include systems given away with a promotion?

TheNatural

My Member!
BurntPork said:
Well, I think we can all agree that 3DS will continue to sell horribly until the price is cut to $199.99 or lower, right? (Granted, it's flopping in Europe despite acceptable pricing by retailers, so it really is possible that people just don't want it and Nintendo should have stuck with DS for another year or two.)

Except you don't get the part that not everything is about sales. It's about profit. When analysis was done on the components of the 3DS it was like around $100 or so cost. You think they're going to slash up to possibly 40% of their profit per unit on these things for a knee jerk short term sales boost during a slow timeframe of the year, along with burning early adopters, and before we've even seen how it fares with huge releases during the holidays? No, its ridiculously stupid.

Yeah if they sold it at $200 it might have been a bigger hit but it may not have made up for much of their profit per unit. And also the long term cost of having less room to work with in the future with price cuts as well, like what's going on with the Wii. It can't fall much further in price, it's bottomed out, the decline "budget" phase of it's lifespan isn't kicking in greatly because it wasn't that expensive to begin with. There's no point in cutting it now, it's already established at $250, may as well ride it out until at least you know how it performs during the holiday with the big games come out.

There's a reason that Nintendo is the only game company in the black over their entire lifespan (Sony has basically eroded their entire PSX/PS2 era profit with the PS3), and in the black year in year out. I'm not saying it was a wise move to launch at $250, but what is done is done, business wise their best move is ride it out and save those price drops at strategically important times.

People keep saying "omg they have to do something before Vita!" Why? Sony is the one with the retarded ass business plan once again, taking a heavy hit on unestablished hardware once again, just like they did with the PS3. They're the one who just took a heavy loss in their latest financial results. Nintendo's only problem is living up to the ridiculously massive expectations of the Wii and DS, along with problem with the yen vs. dollar exchange rate with how bad the dollar has gotten and what they've invested in - but that's a different discussion.

Sorry, but there's a little more that goes into pricing decisions than some message board armchair quarterbacks thinking they know what needs to be done reading some charts. Not saying they're not learning a valuable lesson, but what's done is done, they have to ride it out at this point and that's their best move.

unomas said:
At this point I use my 360 more for things like Netflix and ESPN than actual gaming, but I'll be in full gaming mode again when Gears comes out. Props to MS for doing the right things and they're now in full control of this gen, hopefully they don't screw it up by trying to dick over their customers.
They would never consider such a thing.

unomas said:
If you're not feeling that pinch in the ass right now than you have nothing to worry about.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
BurntPork said:
PSP is going to surpass it next month. (In fact, I think what happened is that DS owners ready to upgrade got tired of waiting for 3DS to get games and a price drop, so the jumped ship to PSP.) That's not good at all, unless we assume that PSN store was the reason for the bump.
U huh?

unomas

Banned
BruiserBear said:
They would never consider such a thing.

Haha, that's my main concern, they did the right things to get into this position, they took care of the core for years, and now they've finally ventured into casual/family land, but don't forget who got you to the top, and don't try to milk us for every penny we have. Also, don't launch with a $599 console ala Sony and be arrogant about it.

BurntPork

Banned
TheNatural said:
Except you don't get the part that not everything is about sales. It's about profit. When analysis was done on the components of the 3DS it was like around $100 or so cost. You think they're going to slash up to possibly 40% of their profit per unit on these things for a knee jerk short term sales boost during a slow timeframe of the year, along with burning early adopters, and before we've even seen how it fares with huge releases during the holidays? No, its ridiculously stupid.

Yeah if they sold it at $200 it might have been a bigger hit but it may not have made up for much of their profit per unit. And also the long term cost of having less room to work with in the future with price cuts as well, like what's going on with the Wii. It can't fall much further in price, it's bottomed out, the decline "budget" phase of it's lifespan isn't kicking in greatly because it wasn't that expensive to begin with. There's no point in cutting it now, it's already established at $250, may as well ride it out until at least you know how it performs during the holiday with the big games come out.

There's a reason that Nintendo is the only game company in the black over their entire lifespan (Sony has basically eroded their entire PSX/PS2 era profit with the PS3), and in the black year in year out. I'm not saying it was a wise move to launch at $250, but what is done is done, business wise their best move is ride it out and save those price drops at strategically important times.

People keep saying "omg they have to do something before Vita!" Why? Sony is the one with the retarded ass business plan once again, taking a heavy hit on unestablished hardware once again, just like they did with the PS3. They're the one who just took a heavy loss in their latest financial results. Nintendo's only problem is living up to the ridiculously massive expectations of the Wii and DS, along with problem with the yen vs. dollar exchange rate with how bad the dollar has gotten and what they've invested in - but that's a different discussion.

Sorry, but there's a little more that goes into pricing decisions than some message board armchair quarterbacks thinking they know what needs to be done reading some charts. Not saying they're not learning a valuable lesson, but what's done is done, they have to ride it out at this point and that's their best move.
Sony's basically breaking even with Vita. Every software sale will be pure profit. And if Nintendo has launched at $200 with a big game, it would easily be selling twice as fast as it is now, if not 3x. Nintendo screwed themselves in every way possible.

soooo... FEAR 3 also came out on June 21 along with Shadows of the Damned. I guess it bombed as well. Sucks for Red Faction Armageddon, hope they don't kill the franchise.

unomas

Banned
pharmboy044 said:
If you're not feeling that pinch in the ass right now than you have nothing to worry about.

Fortunately I'm not, between the games, ESPN, Last FM, Netflix etc. etc. the 360 has allowed me to cut my cable and double as a games machine as well. I don't think $5 a month is too much to ask for what you get, and Xbox Diamond sounds like it's on the way as well, and if it's priced right MS TV is right around the corner. Cool times to be a gamer and entertainment enthusiast.

Top Bottom