• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD June 2011 Sales Results [Update5: Most HW in, Infamous 2]

TheNatural

My Member!
BurntPork said:
Sony's basically breaking even with Vita. Every software sale will be pure profit. And if Nintendo has launched at $200 with a big game, it would easily be selling twice as fast as it is now, if not 3x. Nintendo screwed themselves in every way possible.

Breaking even? Right.

"Sony’s PlayStation Vita is making headlines worldwide due to the system’s visual prowess and impressive lineup of launch titles. Cramming so much horsepower into this little package was certainly a costly investment for Sony, but the company shocked the world when they revealed that the Vita will retail for $249.99 (Wifi only)/$299.99(3G/Wifi AT&T Service Contract Required) for North America. This cheap price will come at a cost for Sony, however.

In an interview with Reuters Japan, Sony’s Kaz Hirai stated that Sony aims to make a profit on the PlayStation Vita in three years. Sony often sells their hardware at a lost, so this isn’t anything new for the company as they sold the PlayStation at a lost despite the $600 price tag. Out of the three home-console manufacturers, Nintendo is usually the only company to make a profit on hardware right away due to their conservative nature of building their hardware."

And software sales aren't "full profit" dude - you have to recoup the cost of development. $200 may even be too much for a handheld at this point in time as well, with the timeframe and how many games aren't out. It also puts you at a disadvantage 4-5 years down the line when you could use a price drop and you have no room to work with. Ideally, Nintendo should have had this ready in November of last year, with a major game like Mario Kart, and at a $200 price tag. It would have cleaned up with people looking for something to buy that Microsoft did cash in on. Anything else is irrelevant, and it makes no sense to drop to $200 now. Sales aren't everything.

BurntPork said:
Sony will break even with Vita when it goes on sale.

Happy?
That was a really dickish move.

So years of R&D are free? developing devkits and middleware doesn't cost anything either? They might not be losing money on the assembly of the hardware, but Sony is certainly in the red on the Vita, and will be for awhile.

Surprised Mercenaries fared as poorly as it did. I was expecting something in the 50-75K range, but I can't say it deserved to do much better considering the quantity of content and the save issue.

I'm sure Revelations will fare better, but I'm not wildly optimistic about it - I'm just not convinced there's that much of an audience for M-rated core content on a dedicated handheld at this point.

BurntPork said:
Sony's basically breaking even with Vita. Every software sale will be pure profit. And if Nintendo has launched at $200 with a big game, it would easily be selling twice as fast as it is now, if not 3x. Nintendo screwed themselves in every way possible.
Are you pretending to know what you are talking about or do you actually believe you know what you are talking about?

Software isn't free, it costs money to develop it. How on earth could every software sale be pure profit?

Father_Brain said:
Surprised Mercenaries fared as poorly as it did. I was expecting something in the 50-75K range, but I can't say it deserved to do much better considering the quantity of content and the save issue.

I'm sure Revelations will fare better, but I'm not wildly optimistic about it - I'm just not convinced there's that much of an audience for M-rated core content on a dedicated handheld at this point.

I just don't think anyone looked at that game and thought it was worth $40. It had nothing to do with it being a horror title as much as it did being a transparent cash grab by Capcom.

BurntPork

Banned
outunderthestars said:
So years of R&D are free? developing devkits and middleware doesn't cost anything either? They might not be losing money on the assembly of the hardware, but Sony is certainly in the red on the Vita, and will be for awhile.
Wouldn't the same go for 3DS?

Hiltz

Wow, Microsoft must have a big smile on its face with those Xbox 360 hardware sales.

Interesting how the Wii managed to basically sell as much as the PS3 despite the lack of decent software. It may be losing a lot of steam but it is still chugging along.

I feel sorry for Suda 51. Grasshopper Manufacture's games are constantly getting burned. Ubisoft did it twice with the No More Heroes titles and now EA with Shadows of the Damned.

onipex

worldrevolution said:
Haven't read through the thread but did anyone mention the quote from Pachter's twitter that the 360 figures include systems given away with a promotion?

I hope we get a break down of the numbers. My guess is about 320k sold and the rest of the number coming from the give away promotion.

BurntPork said:
Wouldn't the same go for 3DS?

Did ever say that the 3DS was profitable from day one? I'm pretty sure I wouldn't that dumb.

onipex said:
I hope we get a break down of the numbers. My guess is about 320k sold and the rest of the number coming from the give away promotion.

I don't think there is a way to parse out those numbers.

_Xenon_ said:
I don't understand the 360 sales anymore. I haven't bought a 360 game except SSF4 AE for 2 months, yet its sales number goes sky high? What do average people actually play these days?

Game don't expire. New 360 owners could be playing Red Dead, Call of Duty, etc.

_Xenon_

Banned
I don't understand the 360 sales anymore. I haven't bought a 360 game except SSF4 AE for 2 months, yet its sales number goes sky high? What do average people actually play these days?

BurntPork

Banned
pseudocaesar said:
You're hands down, the worst junior I have ever seen. Ever.
No, I've seen worse.

Actually, I agreed with you guys and argued that point until someone on this very forum pointed out that Kaz's statement was mistranslated. I'm very confused right now, as a result. Am I just always wrong or something?

Anyway, obligatory:

sw50sw8sw578.gif

FunkyPajamas said:
Xbox 360 and Modern Warfare numbers are just further proof that people don't care about HD.
Can you imagine this fucking holiday season...holy cow.

I came in earlier today and saw this thread was up, and I was like, "Huh, wonder what's happened this past month." Saw LA Noire again, and Duke, and the numbers were pretty reasonable, and I thought, "Yeah, that all looks right."

Then I saw the 360 number. Holy moley. My eyes widened and my mouth gaped.

Hiltz

_Xenon_ said:

People are probably just buying Kinect bundles.... but have nothing new to play on it.

Kuroyume

Banned
_Xenon_ said:

Old games don't just disappear into thin air after a few months.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Surprise on the 360 numbers. Their best year ever at 6 years into the gen.

On software.
I overestimated Duke, I was figuring half million+ a few months back. I think it turning out to be a dud killed sales after the first week. Had all the hype going into it though.
LA Noire is performing like how most Rockstar games do.
Infamous 2 is right where I said it be.

Sad to see SOTD perform so poorly. I've been waiting to give it a try.

Hiltz

It's disgusting to see that apparently shitty Duke Nukem title sell so well. I guess HD gamers will buy any shooter title.

Father_Brain said:

Isn't Uncharted rated M? I think that will do pretty well for Vita if it lands in the launch window.

_Xenon_ said:

MS PR said:
During the month of June, four of the top ten console game titles were for Xbox 360 including: “L.A. Noire,” “Duke Nukem Forever,” “NBA 2K11” and “Call of Duty: Black Ops.” (Source: NPD Group, June 2011)

Kuroyume said:
Old games don't just disappear into thin air after a few months.

Indeed, new customers don't necessarily need new software. 360's library is enormous at this point.

And everyone just seems to care about CoD anyway.

_Xenon_

Banned
Glad to see MK9 is still hanging there. Longer legs than MVC3 confirmed? I think Capcom better take some notes about how to update game and keep the community active.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Hiltz said:
It's disgusting to see that apparently shitty Duke Nukem title sell so well. I guess HD gamers will buy any shooter title.
It had a lot of hype going into it.

Nostalgia for starters. Years of waiting and joking about it, the game was finally getting out the door. 16 years of hype. On top of T2 and Gearbox really pouring the money into it.

Edit: Just notice Mortal Kombat too. 3 months in top 10 now, right?

Great numbers from 360, MS have definitely positioned themselves wisely between the casual and hardcore markets.

Also, very pleased to see inFamous 2 up there on the top 10. Easiest time sink I've had all summer besides OoT on 3DS. Oh, and of course extremely pleased to see OoT up there too.

Can't complain about this NPD, and though I like Shadows of the Damned (have Legion Hunter run-through on pause as I type this), I can understand why it's not up there.

Syphon Filter said:
Dam Microsoft got far this gen.

Really they have. Just look at the launch video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcT2swHHEUI

The 360, in my mind, is the first living, evolving console. To Microsoft's credit, they have constantly adding new features, refinements, and services to the device. They've also consistently refreshed the hardware in impressive ways.

The only fault I have is their movement away from a strong first part developer roster and an increasing reliance upon third parties.

That said, they really do deserve the success they now have.

_Xenon_ said:
Glad to see MK9 is still hanging there. Longer legs than MVC3 confirmed? I think Capcom better take some notes about how to update game and keep the community active.

Capcom don't need to takes notes on anything after all the money the made off SF4.

Good number for PS3.
Great number for XBOX 360 even with the give away.
Wii lost more sales seem normal now.

3DS not doing great but Nintendo has allot room to play around with .

Hiltz

shintoki said:
It had a lot of hype going into it.

Nostalgia for starters. Years of waiting and joking about it, the game was finally getting out the door. 16 years of hype. On top of T2 and Gearbox really pouring the money into it.

Edit: Just notice Mortal Kombat too. 3 months in top 10 now, right?

I guess it still does have a lot of nostalgia and marketing behind it cause that seems to be the only good things going for it ! It's got a metacritic score of 49 (71 reviews).

Hiltz said:
I guess it still does have a lot of nostalgia and marketing behind it cause that seems to be the only good things going for it ! It's got a metacritic score of 49 (71 reviews).

really? that low? I remembered Giant Bomb loved it!

LQX

outunderthestars said:
Really they have. Just look at the launch video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcT2swHHEUI

The 360, in my mind, is the first living, evolving console. To Microsoft's credit, they have constantly adding new features, refinements, and services to the device. They've also consistently refreshed the hardware in impressive ways.

The only fault I have is their movement away from a strong first part developer roster and an increasing reliance upon third parties.

That said, they really do deserve the success they now have.
Yep, it's kind of astonishing the way they built the 360 to literally evolve from the user interface to even the hardware addons and features. They even one upped PS3 with adding HDMI, 3D and 1080P support. And no one thought they would release hardware revision that would out class the PS3, not even Sony saw that coming. First on the scene and the only damn thing the 360 has not been able to do is play blu-rays.

Gravijah

soldat7 said:
This is astounding. What was Nintendo thinking releasing another handheld? I guess the combined totals are nice. Or something.

They had to do it at somepoint. I guess they wanted to try to get through the harsh times before Sony released their competitor.

pharmboy044 said:
If you're not feeling that pinch in the ass right now than you have nothing to worry about.

Not at all. I'm enjoying a smooth, easy to pick up and use experience, consistently. I'm also liking the constant additions and interface progressions throughout the generation. I wish the other services that I pay a lot more delivered nearly as well....

LQX said:
Yep, it's kind of astonishing the way they built the 360 to literally evolve from the user interface to even the hardware addons and features. They even one upped PS3 with adding HDMI, 3D and 1080P support. And no one thought they would release hardware revision that would out class the PS3, not even Sony saw that coming. First on the scene and the only damn thing the 360 has not been able to do is play blu-rays.

Well said.

a Master Ninja said:
Oh man, that was so long ago.

It goes to show how far MS has come this generation. I truly appreciate the time and money they have spent constantly improving the experience.

ShockingAlberto said:
I think it was a terrible game and the fact that it made the top ten speaks extremely poorly of how suggestible the mass market is.
Yeah maybe or maybe it shows that the mass market doesn't give a shit about review scores. As they shouldn't.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
charsace said:
So the current NPD rules will keep someone from posting 2k11 YTD numbers? fuck:(

A Human Becoming said:
YTD

DS 2,048,732
360 2,423,214
PS3 1,691,948
Wii 1,744,870
3DS 832,000

LTD

DS 49,353,483
360 27,818,373
PS3 17,153,921
Wii 35,894,494
3DS 832,000

If creamsugar's PSP number is legit and I can somehow (*hint hint jvm*) get an estimate on PSP sales for last month, I'll re-post with it included.

EDIT:

jvm, what was the weekly sales numbers for PSP in May? Looks like 17k. If you can't tell me the exact number, mind giving me some sort of percentage going around the projected 120k sold this month or 24k weekly.

EDIT 2: DS numbers have been fixed.

T-0800

TheNatural said:
Breaking even? Right.

"Sony’s PlayStation Vita is making headlines worldwide due to the system’s visual prowess and impressive lineup of launch titles. Cramming so much horsepower into this little package was certainly a costly investment for Sony, but the company shocked the world when they revealed that the Vita will retail for $249.99 (Wifi only)/$299.99(3G/Wifi AT&T Service Contract Required) for North America. This cheap price will come at a cost for Sony, however.

In an interview with Reuters Japan, Sony’s Kaz Hirai stated that Sony aims to make a profit on the PlayStation Vita in three years. Sony often sells their hardware at a lost, so this isn’t anything new for the company as they sold the PlayStation at a lost despite the $600 price tag. Out of the three home-console manufacturers, Nintendo is usually the only company to make a profit on hardware right away due to their conservative nature of building their hardware."

And software sales aren't "full profit" dude - you have to recoup the cost of development. $200 may even be too much for a handheld at this point in time as well, with the timeframe and how many games aren't out. It also puts you at a disadvantage 4-5 years down the line when you could use a price drop and you have no room to work with. Ideally, Nintendo should have had this ready in November of last year, with a major game like Mario Kart, and at a $200 price tag. It would have cleaned up with people looking for something to buy that Microsoft did cash in on. Anything else is irrelevant, and it makes no sense to drop to $200 now. Sales aren't everything.

The article you quote was incorrect. I belive there was a topic about it or maybe it's in the 'official' Vita thread.

Top Bottom