• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD June 2012 Results [Up1: Microsoft/Nintendo Hardware, Lego Batman 2, Lollipop]

Blizzard

Banned
Yes. Pokemon Conquest was actually the #2 individual SKU for June. Well over 100K sold.
Awesome! If they make a sequel and improve certain aspects it could be outstanding. It would be nice to have the sequel still on the DS so I don't need to buy new hardware too, personally. :p

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-07-12-game-sales-down-29-percent-in-us-during-june

industry overall was down 29 percent

Frazier also noted that Nintendo's been doing very well with its 3DS, even better than the DS at the same point in its cycle.

"The 3DS is still up nearly 25% over where the NDS was in a similar point in time after release to market, and has topped portable hardware unit sales for the last 11 months. I am excited by the content that is coming to market later this year, and to watch what impact that will have on hardware sales," she said.

cool beans

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
From Nintendo PR

For the month, two of the top five and nine of the top 25 best-selling software SKUs play on Nintendo platforms.

So, Pokèmon and...Mario Kart 7?

Elios83

Ahh, I understand now. Yeah, Sony won't tell us PS3 sales because they're terrible. But if Microsoft tells us 360 sales and market share, we can approximate PS3 sales. That's what I'm waiting for.

They're not terrible, PS3 has been the second best selling platform in the US for months, Sony just doesn't like to disclose their sales numbers (if they're nothing huge to brag about).

Mpl90

10.) The Amazing Spider-Man (360, PS3, 3DS, NDS, Wii) Activision Blizzard

Looks like the 3DS demo worked after all.

As said in the other thread, since Lego: Batman 2 3DS did worse than Wii and DS versions, it seems 3DS is full of Marvel fans and lacks of DC ones, lol.

SO, CAPCOM, YOU KNOW WHAT TO DO! MUAHAHAHAHAAHAH!!!

Ahh, I understand now. Yeah, Sony won't tell us PS3 sales because they're terrible. But if Microsoft tells us 360 sales and market share, we can approximate PS3 sales. That's what I'm waiting for.

I don't really consider PS3 sales that terrible.

Anyway Nintendo telling us they sold such a shitty amount of Wiis seems to indicate they dont give a fuck anymore. Hope they keep releasing all their numbers.

There've been a few months I recall that Nintendo didn't disclose anything - presumably because everything was pretty bad in those months.

This month they can trumpet NDS sales being surprisingly robust, and a Y/Y increase in 3DS, even though the Wii is thoroughly dead.

For Sony, there's no point bragging about being second in home consoles and doing terribly in handhelds.

My bad, just looked at Aprils and it was a similar gap.

April's was technically a bigger per week gap. 15K/week, 4 week month.

----

Also Spider-bomba?

1st thought: Vita did 100K, good job

2nd thought: Oh, that's Vita and PSP

3rd thought: Well, PSP numbers were probably close to zero anyway, so good job Vita!

As said in the other thread, since Lego: Batman 2 3DS did worse than Wii and DS versions, it seems 3DS is full of Marvel fans and lacks of DC ones, lol.

SO, CAPCOM, YOU KNOW WHAT TO DO! MUAHAHAHAHAAHAH!!!

NDS version of Lego Batman 2 hurt 3DS Sales. It was $10 cheaper

Nintendo's only hope to really explode in the USA and Europe is to price 3DS around $100 eventually.

uh no

the hope is a 2d mario, a remodel, and consistent exclusive localized software.

If the gba and ds did worse than the 3ds is doing now. I dont really see the need to hit the panic button

Satchel

Banned
Wow Vita being lumped with PSP? Has this always happened?

I mean I knew Vita would bomb, but not so quickly.

I really hope Sony takes all the lessons (hopefully) learned and applies them to the PS4.

Nintendo's only hope to really explode in the USA and Europe is to price 3DS around $100 eventually.

Did the DS actually get any pricecut? I remember I bought it for €150 in 2005 and last year it was still €150, granted there have been many iterations.

Elios83

Edit: nvm

(150k+155k)/0.75= 406k
406k - 305k= 101k

Wow Vita being lumped with PSP? Has this always happened?

I mean I knew Vita would bomb, but not so quickly.

I really hope Sony takes all the lessons (hopefully) learned and applies them to the PS4.

It's combined because we don't have a better guess, not because NPD is releasing the numbers combined, gosh :D
Still Sony needs a price cut+big games for Vita ASAP.

boyshine

I don’t understand how the DS and 3DS numbers can be that close. 3DS is flying off the shelves (best selling console, beating PS3) here, with DSi (and Vita) completely dead.

matmanx1

I can't decide if those Lollipop Chainsaw numbers are good or bad. They are better than pretty much anything else that Grasshopper has ever done but I have to wonder how much money WB threw into advertising for it and if they made that money back. One thing is certain, however. I really liked the game and hope a sequel is made!

I'm wonder where Gravity Rush fell on this list. It was the "big" Vita release for the month and one of the most anticipated titles out of the first half of the year.

Pokemon's number is surprising in a good way. I'm sure Koei Tecmo is happy about it.

Mpl90

NDS version of Lego Batman 2 hurt 3DS Sales. It was $10 cheaper

Well, if there were die hard DC fans on 3DS, they would've bought it, but it seems they aren't there, GAHAHAHAAH!!!

Now, seriously, I'm curious to see when there won't be Lego DS games anymore. Having them just on 3DS and not 3DS + DS would help the transition too. Probably, next year it'll be the time.

Kazerei

Banned
They're not terrible, PS3 has been the second best selling platform in the US for months, Sony just doesn't like to disclose their sales numbers (if they're nothing huge to brag about).

PS3 has been second best selling and still terrible. It just means Wii is even worse.

I don't really consider PS3 sales that terrible.

Anyway Nintendo telling us they sold such a shitty amount of Wiis seems to indicate they dont give a fuck anymore. Hope they keep releasing all their numbers.

Maybe I'm just a pessimist, but IMO the whole industry is doing terribly. Xbox 360 hardware is doing okay. Software and all other hardware ... bleh.

Ridley327

I can't decide if those Lollipop Chainsaw numbers are good or bad. They are better than pretty much anything else that Grasshopper has ever done but I have to wonder how much money WB threw into advertising for it and if they made that money back. One thing is certain, however. I really liked the game and hope a sequel is made!

I'm wonder where Gravity Rush fell on this list. It was the "big" Vita release for the month and one of the most anticipated titles out of the first half of the year.

Pokemon's number is surprising in a good way. I'm sure Koei Tecmo is happy about it.

I doubt the game broke the bank for WB, even with the slightly aggressive ad campaign and the Hollywood voice talent that they stacked it with. If for nothing else, Suda sure knows how to work a budget.

jman2050

I wonder how many DSes are still out there. I imagine it's still cannabalizing 3DS sales to an extent, but I can't see Nintendo being unhappy with what is essentially free money for them at this point.

Vita might as well not even exist right now in sales terms.

They still haven't released the biggest thing on a Nintendo handheld yet.
but iPhones, man

the DS Lite was selling like crazy at a $130 pricepoint so there's no reason to expect a pricedrop to $100 for the 3DS any time soon; as long as the software is there, the hardware sales should come

Top Bottom