• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD June 2012 Results [Up1: Microsoft/Nintendo Hardware, Lego Batman 2, Lollipop]

Lolipop Chainsaw becoming a series confirmed.

Also, Iwata should have really just slapped these lazy bastards at Gamefreak for once. Can't wait for Pokemon BW2 pushing the original DS above 3DS soon...

Why are you talking about 2005?
The GBA sold much better than the 3DS in its first year.

not according to the big N

Not necessarily.

Keep in mind that the DS had already had 2 holiday seasons worth of sales by this point. Plus, the new 2D Mario comes out next month. I think it'll be fine.

If, for some reason, that fails--they've still got their ace in the hole in Pokemon.

gamefreak takes its time

@turkish

but that didnt include the launch months...........so it was way over it sold more or less 20 mil that first year

Elios83

Not necessarily.

Keep in mind that the DS had already had 2 holiday seasons worth of sales by this point. Plus, the new 2D Mario comes out next month. I think it'll be fine.

If, for some reason, that fails--they've still got their ace in the hole in Pokemon.

Don't forget that we're getting to the point where DS rised to heaven and started to do record numbers.....and we're talking about 400k+ in non holiday months...........that seems an utopy for 3DS at this point.

This shows you know very little about Vita. The price of the memory cards likely has played no large role in the platform's sales, and Sony actually did go and meet with developers, both internally, and externally to build the platform.

What about publishers?

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Vita being outsold by the DS?

Ouch... I'm not a Vita optimist, but I wonder if anybody can think of anyway it can rebound here in the States.

The DS average sell price with the final price cuts must be almost 3 times lower than the Vita (and the 3DS is essentially $100 less) average sell price (not even counting a memory card). I really don't get why that'd be surprising.

Frillen

Now the question is what happens to the Vita between now and October when the next big titles hit (September if you count Ragnarok Odyssey.)

No one knows about Ragnarok Odyssey except the very hardcore RPG fans/Vita fans, who already owns a Vita.

jman2050

Don't forget that we're getting to the point where DS rised to heaven and started to do record numbers.....and we're talking about 400k+ in non holiday months...........that seems an utopy for 3DS at this point.

Guess we'll see what XL and NSMB does.

that was like 2+ years later........

give the 3ds a break, so what if it does gba numbers eventually

good is good.

I hate this idea you have to do better than the best selling system to be successful......

( not yelling)

lefantome

You make a sad face at that, but I'll make a happy one.

I'm glad these numbers are pitiful and I hope they all have a shitty holiday season this year.

This generation should have ended at least a year ago.

and they should have dropped those console prices earlier, this is not happened yet. In 2005 ps2 was at 149€
I would expect at least a normal 360 with hdd at 179€ and the chep one at 149€

Then there is the crisis, obviously the market is declining.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

Probably so, especially now that it's competing in a world filled with smartphones and tablets. I don't think we'll ever see handheld numbers that high again. I'd still wait until after this holiday and after a Pokemon game comes out for it to make that statement, though.

There is a LOT of good software out there for it right now and coming on the horizon as well. It'll be fine.

Listening to people on GAF if you're not destroying the competition you're failing, apparently, which just isn't true in business.

The next release that could do anything for Vita is Assassin's Creed Liberations which Ubisoft is smartly releasing the exact same day millions will be buying Assassin's Creed 3 instead. And assuming Black Ops Declassified fails to hit this year (extremely possible with the complete lack of media) Vita could be looking at Liberations as the only title that can push systems. Vita situation in japan is pretty bad, but the western front is just miserable to see.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Colonel Mustard said:
You guys are brutal.

Not the adjective I'd choose given the short amount of time the platform's been on the market. Impatient is closer to the mark imho.

B.O.O.M

No one knows about Ragnarok Odyssey except the very hardcore RPG fans/Vita fans, who already owns a Vita.

Sales will be driven by announcements they make, not like 3ds have great titles every month either. It's up to sony to make announcements about the future titles etc on vita to make it more appealing buyers

Probably so, especially now that it's competing in a world filled with smartphones and tablets. I don't think we'll ever see handheld numbers that high again. I'd still wait until after this holiday and after a Pokemon game comes out for it to make that statement, though.

There is a LOT of good software out there for it right now and coming on the horizon as well. It'll be fine.

Listening to people on GAF if you're not destroying the competition you're failing, apparently, which just isn't true in business.

we might not see console numbers that high again, the way the industry is going

@boom

I want that game bad

iammeiam

What big titles? A swath of console-ports won't do anything for sales and stuff like RO is pretty niche.

AC3 Vita mostly; P4 is big relative to the Vita's library. 'Big' titles is admittedly being very charitable to the system, but it has to be a step up from the almost nothing coming between now and then in terms of retail.

Not the adjective I'd choose given the short amount of time the platform's been on the market. Impatient is closer to the mark imho.

This is a bad argument to make. Vita is the worst selling system in a long time and things show no sign of changing. Maybe if Vita had support that was announced that could do anything to remedy the situation the outlook would be different.

GimMick

Unsurprising top 10 with the exception of Pokémon Conquest. I thought it had very low shipments considering it sold out very quickly (I grabbed one of the last copies on Amazon in a rush !).

Hopefully good results mean we could see a 3DS sequel !

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
When GAF predicts success, failure, when GAF predicts failure, success.

DS, Wii, Kinect, 3DS, now Vita.

70% of the time, GAF is wrong.

The DS average sell price with the final price cuts must be almost 3 times lower than the Vita (and the 3DS is essentially $100 less) average sell price (not even counting a memory card). I really don't get why that'd be surprising.
Because tens of millions of people already have a DS? Because there should be lots more hype around a brand new handheld instead of a 7, 8 year old one?

Matt

So the question becomes, what can be done to save the Vita? I'm starting to wonder if the cost to Sony of a price cut might be more then they could ever hope to make back...

Well it's a common occurrence I see in GAF nowadays outside the vita thread. Saying the device has not enough good games or upcoming games is just absurd

No, saying the device doesn't have enough games to drag the system out of the sales hell it is in right now is quite accurate.

So the question becomes, what can be done to save the Vita? I'm starting to wonder if the cost to Sony of a price cut might be more then they could ever hope to make back...

Either you cut the price now and lose money to try and sell some more systems and keep interest alive, or you wait and let the system wither while you wait and pray something like Assassin's Creed spinoff and a Call of Duty spinoff save the system

1) It doesnt need saving

2) Any system could use a price cut, more exclusives, more visibility

you know the usuals

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Well it's a common occurrence I see in GAF nowadays outside the vita thread. Saying the device has not enough good games or upcoming games is just absurd

Well, from a sales perspective, which this thread is about, they are absolutely correct.

jcm

I’m not talking about US numbers obviously. I’m on the other side of the pond. Only commenting because the US numbers are a complete mismatch, it’s interesting to see how different things really are between countries/continents.

What numbers are you looking at?

Elios83

that was like 2+ years later........

give the 3ds a break, so what if it does gba numbers eventually

good is good.

I hate this idea you have to do better than the best selling system to be successful......

( not yelling)

Personally I don't care, I have a Vita, I had a Gamecube, now I'm buying a 3DS XL.
But this is a sales thread.......so things need to be pointed out.
3DS at this pace will soon start to fall behind DS big time....but it's a totally different world we're living in at this point, with tablets, smartphones and such.
DS did 150m....3DS like you said will probably do GBA like numbers when all it's said and done.
I still don't know what's going to happen to Vita....it could end up like a GC, but they could manage to turn it around and go on to sell 50m units lifetime....still less than the 80m PSPs.
So yeah I think that unfortunately dedicated handhelds are going to lose marketshare anyway.

Kazerei

Banned
3DS v. DS (launch-aligned) is certainly going to get interesting. The DS got off to a pretty slow start, so the 3DS being ahead isn't that impressive. After 1.5+ years, the DS really surged thanks to the DS Lite revision and a lineup of mainstream-friendly titles. There's the 3DS XL revision and Mario games coming which should pick up the pace for the 3DS, but will it be enough? We shall see...

Petrae

Old platforms are doomed.
New platforms are doomed.
Is there anything that isn't doomed besides smartphones? :(

"Doom" is a little strong. Market shift doesn't mean doom, but it does mean that action needs to be taken to retain current consumers and lessen the effect of mobile and/or other entertainment choices.

Consoles can survive in a smaller market, and I think that's the worst-case scenario here. I don't expect a total collapse or near-complete exodus of consumers from this sector.

I now return you to our regularly scheduled data discussion.

Matt

Either you cut the price now and lose money to try and sell some more systems and keep interest alive, or you wait and let the system wither while you wait and pray something like Assassin's Creed spinoff and a Call of Duty spinoff save the system

Or you give up.

Is is possible that that might be a more sound financial option for Sony then trying to push the Vita? I have no idea, none of us do, but I'm sure someone is crunching the numbers at Sony.

It's clear they don't know a thing about the Vita.

Not in regards to the Vita. I don't believe it's possible to be 'mean' to a toy. (Barring Stretch Armstrong)

It's becoming pretty clear that the market is rejecting the device due to Sony's own ineptitude and lack of understanding of what their target should be. (It shouldn't be exclusively aimed at us.)

I'm talking about Takao. Dude catches way too much flack.

EDIT:

For people like us maybe. We aren't a large enough demographic to keep a platform alive though.

Personally I don't care, I have a Vita, I had a Gamecube, now I'm buying a 3DS XL.
But this is a sales thread.......so things need to be pointed out.
3DS at this pace will soon start to fall behind DS big time....but it's a totally different world we're living in at this point, with tablets, smartphones and such.
DS did 150m....3DS like you said will probably do GBA like numbers when all it's said and done.
I still don't know what's going to happen to Vita....it could end up like a GC, but they could manage to turn it around and go on to sell 50m units lifetime....still less than the 80m PSPs.
So yeah I think that unfortunately dedicated handhelds are going to lose marketshare anyway.

We arent fighting, we can be friends and disagree. Dont be so defensive :)

Everything is loosing marketshare.....

The entire game industry is in trouble not just handhelds and consoles but all manor of mythical creatures

3DS v. DS (launch-aligned) is certainly going to get interesting. The DS got off to a pretty slow start, so the 3DS being ahead isn't that impressive. After 1.5+ years, the DS really surged thanks to the DS Lite revision and a lineup of mainstream-friendly titles. There's the 3DS XL revision and Mario games coming which should pick up the pace for the 3DS, but will it be enough? We shall see...

Its impressive in the sense that the 3ds had a slow start too. Remember 3ds gets that brain age too.

But if it doesnt sell more than the ds is it a failure?

i dont think so

Is the ps3 a failure because it did a fraction of what the ps2 did? I dont think so/

Or you give up.

Is is possible that that might be a more sound financial option for Sony then trying to push the Vita? I have no idea.

I don't think letting billions in R&D and marketing go down the drain is the best solution either. They won't let Vita rot and die until they are in much worse financial shape. The only thing we can look to is that Sony is saving a bunch of announcements that we don't know about for TGS or something which would be strange considering Sony is the last company to hold onto to big information. They announce crap years in advance.

Matt

I don't think letting billions in R&D and marketing go down the drain is the best solution either. They won't let Vita rot and die until they are in much worse financial shape.

I would tend to agree...unless that would just be throwing good money after bad...

Well I like my Vita so I hope they have a better idea of what to do.

Top Bottom