• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD June 2012 Results [Up1: Microsoft/Nintendo Hardware, Lego Batman 2, Lollipop]

As far as the game goes, isnt it? It isnt a 2nd straight port right over, but Sigma is already an enhanced port from Ninja Gaiden on Xbox 1, so NGS+ is basically the the 3rd release of that game, at least from what i know.
Sigma isn't a port afaik, it's a Team Ninja Dog remake/remix. Not really the same game (various bits of the levels, combat engine, enemy patterns/positions, etc, are changed), though it's based on it.

test_account

XP-39C²
Sigma isn't a port afaik, it's a Team Ninja Dog remake/remix. Not really the same game (various bits of the levels, combat engine, enemy patterns/positions, etc, are changed), though it's based on it.
It is probably not a direct port, but as far as the game itself goes (levels and enemies etc.), i'm pretty sure that the game is basically the same as Ninja Gaiden Black. I quickly looked at the first level of NGB now on Youtube and it is the same stuff that is in Ninja Gaiden Sigma. Ninjagaiden.wikia.com also only mention that the difference is the graphics and Rachel being a playable character. But i'm sure that someone else knows more about this than me :) I just go from what i've read/heard, i havnt played the games much myself.

As it's NPD though it discounts bundled software, which would likely place Wii in the lead.

Doubtful, Microsoft has had bundles every holiday season that include multiple games and Kinect Adventures comes with every Kinect.

And if we are going to include stuff not counted by NPD, then we include digital at which point there is no contest.

Doubtful, Microsoft has had bundles every holiday season that include multiple games and Kinect Adventures comes with every Kinect.

And if we are going to include stuff not counted by NPD, then we include digital at which point there is no contest.
Nintendo's done multigame bundles too (Wii Sports+Resort, Wii Sports+NSMBWii), plus nearly every Wii sold came with a game (standalone console wasn't even sold until 2010 iirc) . There's also several million Zapper sales (Link's Crossbow Training isn't included either afaik), there's really no doubt Nintendo's moved more bundled software than Microsoft. NPD does count these things too, they're just not counted with the software totals.

It is probably not a direct port, but as far as the game itself goes (levels and enemies etc.), i'm pretty sure that the game is basically the same as Ninja Gaiden Black. I quickly looked at the first level of NGB now on Youtube and it is the same stuff that is in Ninja Gaiden Sigma. Ninjagaiden.wikia.com also only mention that the difference is the graphics and Rachel being a playable character. But i'm sure that someone else knows more about this than me :) I just go from what i've read/heard, i havnt played the games much myself.
Level and enemy layouts are changed, and there's new weapons and enemies. It's really not worth arguing over though, neither DOAD nor NGS+ are bringing anything "new" for those who played the rest of each series. Both are repackaged content intdended to draw a new audience.

test_account

XP-39C²
Level and enemy layouts are changed, and there's new weapons and enemies. It's really not worth arguing over though, neither DOAD nor NGS+ are bringing anything "new" for those who played the rest of each series. Both are repackaged content intdended to draw a new audience.
I agree. I initially brought it up just to say that there were less intencives to buy NGS+ if people had played either Black or Sigma before, at least in my opinion. With DOA:D, it takes content from many different games and mixes it together into a new/own game. If someone have only played i.e one or two DOA games before, there would still be new stuff to be had in DOA:D.

As far as production costs goes, i think that DOA:D had a higher budget than NGS+. But without know how much this was, or how much the games sold/will sell in total and what the expectations are/were, it is hard to say which one is the bigger bomb.

Nintendo's done multigame bundles too (Wii Sports+Resort, Wii Sports+NSMBWii), plus nearly every Wii sold came with a game (standalone console wasn't even sold until 2010 iirc) . There's also several million Zapper sales (Link's Crossbow Training isn't included either afaik), there's really no doubt Nintendo's moved more bundled software than Microsoft. NPD does count these things too, they're just not counted with the software totals.

The first arcade came with 7 games bundled in back in the day. I think there is plenty of doubt that the Wii moved more bundled software.

The first arcade came with 7 games bundled in back in the day. I think there is plenty of doubt that the Wii moved more bundled software.

Hmm, interesting. I'd love to see NPD's info on bundled software.

Failing that, though, I'd have to say that Nintendo's moved more bundled software that was relevant to the purchase, in any case. By which I mean, millions of people bought a Wii because of Wii Sports or NSMB, whereas the system-selling games for the 360 were mostly (though not entirely, of course) sold separately. I don't imagine very many people bought an Arcade bundle because it had Feeding Frenzy or Pac-Man CE in it, they bought it because it was the cheapest 360 at the time.

Still, in raw units or maybe even in assumed revenue, maybe Microsoft has moved more bundled games.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

The first arcade did not "come with 7 games bundled". It came with 1 not-for-retail-sale sampler disc that included 5 XBLA titles--Pac-Man CE; Uno; Luxor 2; Boom Boom Rocket; and Feeding Frenzy. This is like when people used to sell a Wii and Wii Play on eBay and claim it was 15 games--the 5 in Wii Sports and the 10 in Wii Play.

Curious about average weekly sales 3DS 2011 vs 2012 - 3DS has had more weeks this year, but last year was launch period, so a concentration of sales in launch month.

Also all handhelds Y/Y and 3DS+NDS 2011v12 and PSP+PSV 2011v12.

Road

ibshXuexhkrBVX.png

A second column has gone up. Read it here:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/..._Nintendo_Big_Three_sized_up_at_US_retail.php

A picture:
us-hardware-1h-by-platform.png

If you have platform specific questions, I can try to answer them now. Next column in a few days.

Thanks for the article.

If I may bug you (to bug NPD), it would be nice to have a PSP, DS, 3DS and Vita tie ratio comparison in the future. =P

donny2112

When I asked Michael Pachter of Wedbush Securities about his PlayStation Vita sales expectations several weeks ago, he said that they expected 3 - 4 million Vita systems to be sold in the U.S. by year's end.

2 million seems much more reasonable, at this point.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Wait, PSP sold more in 2011 than 2010? Dead cat bounce?

I'm surprised it did seeing sold worse in December 2011 (260k) than December 2010 (428k).
A second column has gone up. Read it here:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/1..._US_retail.php

A picture:
us-hardware-1h-by-platform.png

If you have platform specific questions, I can try to answer them now.

What's the Vita hardware number June? :p If it's nearly on par with DS these first six months it must be less than or equal to 78k. Someone earlier in the thread said it was between 78k and 70k. Where do you think it falls in the range?

jvm

Gamasutra.
I'm surprised it did seeing sold worse in December 2011 (260k) than December 2010 (428k).
Isn't the graph provided by Road a graph of 1H sales, not full year?
What's the Vita hardware number June? :p If it's nearly on par with DS these first six months it must be less than or equal to 78k. Someone earlier in the thread said it was between 78k and 70k. Where do you think it falls in the range?
The figure in my sheet is 75K, rounded to the nearest 5K. As usual, I can't provide an official figure, because I don't have one, but I have done by best with the data available to estimate a range of values.

Hammer24

Banned
JVM, are you able to give the rest of the ASP´s too?

Oh, and you wrote: "I would point out that it is not the lowest price even in 2012 since the average in March was $259".
I´ve got the 360 ASP for march at $269.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Isn't the graph provided by Road a graph of 1H sales, not full year?
You're right, I misread. Still, the PSP must have really suffered in the later half to drop so far.
jvm said:
The figure in my sheet is 75K, rounded to the nearest 5K. As usual, I can't provide an official figure, because I don't have one, but I have done by best with the data available to estimate a range of values.
Thanks. That puts my number at:

YTD
DS - 648,641
360 - 1,720,000
PS3 - 1,379,200
Wii - 812,800
3DS - 1,051,741
Vita - 638,400

LTD
DS - 51,786,649
360 - 34,384,373
PS3 - 21,357,121
Wii - 39,497,294
3DS - 5,137,741
Vita - 638,400

Notes:

• The Vita has sold <100k for three consecutive months.
  • No Sony, Nintendo or Microsoft system so far has sold <100k for four consecutive months or more in its first year of release.
  • The 3DS sold 946k units in its first five sales months.
  • The gap between the Wii and 360 now is nearing <5 million units.

jvm

Gamasutra.
JVM, are you able to give the rest of the ASP´s too?

Oh, and you wrote: "I would point out that it is not the lowest price even in 2012 since the average in March was $259".
I´ve got the 360 ASP for march at $269.
I went back to the original source on this, and it is $259. Did I report it wrong here on GAF at the time, or in an article? Sorry if that's the case. :(

For June:
Xbox 360 = $275
PS3 = $273
Wii = $149
PSP = $130
PSV = $263
NDS/3DS = $139

For whatever it matters, I think the NDS was around $110 and the 3DS was around $169, but there's some uncertainty there. Also, the NDS is now more DSi-heavy than XL-heavy, if that number is correct. Interesting shift, if true.

donny2112

Also, the NDS is now more DSi-heavy than XL-heavy, if that number is correct. Interesting shift, if true.

$99 handheld is the sweet-spot. DS only just got there (DSL was nearly out of stock everywhere when it got to that level, but it won't be long until DSi is the same way). GBA started there. GBA was a > PS2 rocket from launch. ;)

It's why I think Nintendo needs to go down with the 3DS price not up. Should have gone for a 129 stripped down Lite model and a 169-179 XL. Maybe in a year.

Hammer24

Banned
I went back to the original source on this, and it is $259. Did I report it wrong here on GAF at the time, or in an article? Sorry if that's the case. :(

For June:
Xbox 360 = $275
PS3 = $273
Wii = $149
PSP = $130
PSV = $263
NDS/3DS = $139

For whatever it matters, I think the NDS was around $110 and the 3DS was around $169, but there's some uncertainty there. Also, the NDS is now more DSi-heavy than XL-heavy, if that number is correct. Interesting shift, if true.

First of: thanks for providing the numbers! :)
Now for the 259$ number - I do not specifically remember if you gave it here or in your article. But the number is odd, it´s be the only month this year that the 360 ASP was lower than the PS3 (which I have at 267 for march).
Or did I mix up the whole month? :/

Top Bottom