• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD March 2012 Sales Results [Up3: ME3 Total, Binary Domain]

neptunes

Regarding the Vita, if Sony doesn't announce Call of Duty Vita and another big title like Gran Turismo at E3 they are in big trouble. They need something to save the system and we all know they can't afford to cut the price of the system.

I keep hearing this, but what is the belief based on? If they feel a cut would be advantageous to them, they'll do one.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
I guess we are waiting on Nintendo now to see if they reference the wider market and leave a trail of breadcrumbs to follow.

NPD is quite fascinating these days, it's like Cluedo.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
So at least 582k people in America don't have the internet or any form of gaming coverage in their lives. They just walk into a Gamestop, see Resident Evil in the title, and buy. Unless it's on 3DS..

test_account

XP-39C²
That gif was just Capcom rolling in Raccoon City money when everone else expected a bomb. Obama was in there since i couldn't find the original gif
Hehe ok :) I saw a picture with Obama and tears too, with reference to Capcom, so i wondered if there were something i had missed.

EDIT: Doh, i see now that this picture was to a comment about Kid Icarus,i thought it was to Capcom.

Petrae

I keep hearing this, but what is the belief based on? If they feel a cut would be advantageous to them, they'll do one.

And add to already huge losses? That's not such a clear-cut decision. There's no guarantee that a price cut fuels sales enough to make the cut worthwhile, and then there's the issue of too few games out there for Sony to make any money off of.

Not saying it doesn't happen, but it's far from a given.

Regarding the Vita, if Sony doesn't announce Call of Duty Vita and another big title like Gran Turismo at E3 they are in big trouble. They need something to save the system and we all know they can't afford to cut the price of the system.

They announced a Gran Turismo for PSP at its launch and we all know how that turned out...

Kusagari

ORC selling almost 600k is one of the saddest things I've ever seen. I knew it would do better than people were thinking, but that good? Ughh.

1-D_FTW

And add to already huge losses? That's not such a clear-cut decision. There's no guarantee that a price cut fuels sales enough to make the cut worthwhile, and then there's the issue of too few games out there for Sony to make any money off of.

They could always raise the price, leak homebrew, and watch as the profits rolled in from it being the ultimate emulation machine.

Averon

I can't even explain RE:ORC's numbers. I guess people was salivating for a new RE game? In any case, this means Slant Six will make more RE games. I can't see how that could be anything but a negative.

neptunes

Losses on what? their video game division? The Vita in particular? or just Sony in general?

I don't think they're currently losing money on the Vita or on anything other "Playstation" platform.

Nilaul

So at least 582k people in America don't have the internet or any form of gaming coverage in their lives. They just walk into a Gamestop, see Resident Evil in the title, and buy...

Imagine all those 582K "what is this shit!" being said at the same the same time all over the America

Is there any chance we'll get the Vita numbers sometime? Do we usually not eventually have up nearly all the hardware numbers after a while?

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood

For a company bleeding money, taking a loss on each device is the last thing they want to do. Also without new games to drive sales and get attention it would only be a temporary spike. They have to increase the userbase, especially to secure ongoing development, but it needs more than a price drop to do it. Let alone a painful one as the drop will have to be significant to make an impact. So they are in a bit of a catch 22 position.

Nintendo didn't want to take a hit on the hardware either, but they had big games to pull out the hat just after. The explosion in new colours and bundles with those new games was also to offset the money lost on just the device alone.

The strategy for Nintendo was dramatic but quite clear mainly because they had a lot more to work with. Vita is in sort of no-man's land at the moment, and how they get out of it depends on a lot of things that only Sony can know and hopefully become much clearer at E3 and beyond.

At the moment they are in grin and bear it mode because there is no obvious solution.

The MLB 12 numbers aren't shocking at all. It's consistently the best sports title every year, it's its debut month, and the baseball season just started. If you like baseball at all and have a PS3, you get the Show.

I don't see how that's a problem. Regardless of your opinion of the game, SSX performing well will at least keep the IP alive and have games in the future that could be towards your liking.

It bombing probably would have just killed SSX altogether.

Sometimes death is far more humane.

I have a lot of confidence that the team could make the ultimate SSX game after the lessons they learned from this game. I really liked SSX 2012, but there were definitely flaws, and I would like the team to have another shot after hearing the criticisms.

Something more like this.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I can't even explain RE:ORC's numbers. I guess people was salivating for a new RE game? In any case, this means Slant Six will make more RE games. I can't see how that could be anything but a negative.

Slant Six was noting that whether or not they patched the game was Capcom's choice, so I'm guessing Capcom is done with them.

That said, I think they will feel that this is a strong proof of concept and another Western developer will get the series.

impact

Banned
The MLB 12 numbers aren't shocking at all. It's consistently the best sports title every year, it's its debut month, and the baseball season just started. If you like baseball at all and have a PS3, you get the Show.

I bought the Vita version like a dumbass. Trading in to get the PS3 one tomorrow.

t26

I wonder how many people have actually played ROC? A lot of the complains are about having DLC or being too much like COD. I mean a good number of metacritic user review are from people that have clearly not played the game. Sure there are some problems like horrible AI but the game is fun to play.

BurntPork

Banned
Safe to say that Wii is well below 200k. 3DS probably below 200k, too. I really don't like the way Nintendo is now. That earning's release is probably going to be even worse than expected.

FoneBone

RE is a very popular brand (...on consoles, anyway). Multiplayer shooters are also very popular.

As terrible as the game is, is it really that surprising?

jbug617

Banned
I guess Capcom is 2 for 2 with working with Western devs (Dead Rising 2 and ORC). I wonder how Lost Planet 3 is going to do.

test_account

XP-39C²
I really dont see cod doing anything for vita and gt flopped on psp
According to Polyphony's sales, GT PSP sold/shipped over 3.6 million copies. I know that the game was bundled for a while (that is the bundle i bought), but it is still pretty good sales.

http://www.polyphony.co.jp/english/list.html

I dont think that a GT on Vita would necessarily be that much needed though. But if it has a proper campaign mode etc., i think it can sell pretty good.

TheNatural

My Member!
Is there any chance we'll get the Vita numbers sometime? Do we usually not eventually have up nearly all the hardware numbers after a while?

Sony is in PSP mode. I don't know the last time they provided PSP numbers, why would htat change with a system doing no better? If something does shitty, they don't let anything out or even make reference to some jump or percentage. I would be surprised if anything Vita related ever came out, outside of maybe holiday numbers (and those probably vague PR) and financial reports. They don't want to advertise the biggest bomb of a launch period from a major videogame company since Saturn.

It got outsold by 2k12 and SSX. That's BOMBA for a huge name like SF. Also gamers hate good things because of those RE:ORC numbers.

To be fair, ORC was exactly what people have been asking for: An RE game with tps controls where you could strafe and shoot at the same time.

That it was complete shit apparently flew by their head.

I guess Capcom is 2 for 2 with working with Western devs (Dead Rising 2 and ORC). I wonder how Lost Planet 3 is going to do.

Dark Void and Bionic commando did so poorly that no one remembered them I see.

Zen

Banned
Operation Raccoon City

i8xv0zTRwH98Y.gif

Capcom had the last laugh LOL

Perfect gif. Man operation Raccoon City blew past my expectations. I could have sworn it was actually heading for Bomba Territory, and whatever impact it has on the brand will be made up for by RE6/Revelations.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a sequel at some point, haha, wow.

Top Bottom