• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD March 2019 Results

Celcius

°Temp. member
Wow, I didn't know the Switch was still selling this well. Good to see it's still doing great!
I also didn't expect the ps4 and xbox to be so close.

edit: I agree that ps4 could use a price drop.

Last edited:

Three

I suspect things are going to get worse for MS with the advent of next gen making the X look like a very expensive stopgap.
X sales will probably drop as you predict but the overall effect on these NPD numbers will be minimal. The X has a lot of hype but barely sells in comparison to the regular S.

Kagey K

Banned
X sales will probably drop as you predict but the overall effect on these NPD numbers will be minimal. The X has a lot of hype but barely sells in comparison to the regular S.
As was predicted before it even launched. Phil always said it was for the hardcore and he liked the people that stayed on the old boxes more.

iconmaster

Banned
Sekiro is #2 for the month and already #8 on the year-to-date chart.

giphy.gif

I guess we're only in the fourth month of the year but hey

Yes, for some publishers. Not Nintendo's own games, apparently. :(

D4zQpIsXsAIH25w.jpg

Yoshi's Crafted World doing quite well too.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Humdinger

Xbox down 35% for the year is a massive decline. Or am I missing something? I thought they had lots of sales this year and promotions?

Early 2018 was following the release of the X, so Xbox sales were experiencing a bump from that. Early 2019 is naturally going to be down from that 2018 level. The post-X bump lasted longer than I expected it would (the better part of the year, iirc), but it seems to have faded away now. So this might just be a return to what Xbox sales were like, prior to release of the X.

Last edited:

Shaqazooloo

Nice results for Switch. Yoshi's Crafted World did well with a week of tracking and no digital sales and Smash is still a beast.

I'm Surprised New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe is holding up, I thought the Super Mario Maker 2 announcement would've hurt sales, but I guess not?

Codes 208

If Sony dropped the base ps4 to even just $250, that’d be a huge middle finger to MS’ D/L only model.

“Why settle for one option when you can have both for the same price!”

Early 2018 was following the release of the X, so Xbox sales were experiencing a bump from that. Early 2019 is naturally going to be down from that 2018 level. The post-X bump lasted longer than I expected it would (the better part of the year, iirc), but it seems to have faded away now. So this might just be a return to what Xbox sales were like, prior to release of the X.

I see your reasoning but March is not exactly early in the year, Xbox One X sales dropped off a lot by March 2018 iirc, and it was behind PS4 as it is behind similarly March 2019. Maybe someone can dig up the figures for comparison.

You would expect less than a big YTD drop like that, you'd actually expect PS4/Pro to be dropping faster as there hasn't been a new PS since the Pro and the XBOneX is obviously far newer. That, and we know Sony doesnt seem bothered to do many promotions for their hardware whilst Xbox has been on constant discount/deal. So whatever angle you look at it, Xbox sales are in a concerning decline in their strongest market.

Humdinger

I see your reasoning but March is not exactly early in the year, Xbox One X sales dropped off a lot by March 2018 iirc, and it was behind PS4 as it is behind similarly March 2019. Maybe someone can dig up the figures for comparison.

Yes, maybe someone has the figures at hand. My best recollection is that Xbox was up +30% to 40% y-o-y for the majority of 2018, well past March. I don't think the bump tapered off in Feb. I remember being surprised at how sustained it was. I think it went into the summer months, maybe beyond. I think the positive press about the X, and maybe Gamepass as well, helped sustain the momentum. But I could be wrong; I don't have the figures.

You would expect less than a big YTD drop like that, you'd actually expect PS4/Pro to be dropping faster as there hasn't been a new PS since the Pro and the XBOneX is obviously far newer. That, and we know Sony doesnt seem bothered to do many promotions for their hardware whilst Xbox has been on constant discount/deal. So whatever angle you look at it, Xbox sales are in a concerning decline in their strongest market.

Well, Sony has something going for it that MS doesn't: great exclusives. It's not all about hardware (as I'm sure you know).

p.s. I don't mean to imply that the y-o-y drop for Xbox is unrelated to the Xbox's problem of lacking good exclusive content. I'm sure that's part of the reason. I'm just trying to put the drop into context; I think some of it is because the point of reference is 2018, which was an "up" year for Xbox.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
Good to see Switch still going beast-mode. PS4 / PS4 Pro need to officially drop to $200/$300
There's no need to go aggressive just to combat switch at this point, Switch is relatively new and the demand will soon taper off......Sony should continue selling 200+k each month at full price and rake in that money for next gen......They are or will be over 100 million soon.......Holiday 2019, they can temp price cut with LOU2 and the other games in distribution and move tonnes of hardware way past 100 million......I personally would officially/permanently price cut PS4 in April 2020 on the road to PS5.....

People will still buy a cheaper PS4 in 2020 or even when PS5 launches because their libraries crosses over and when they have enough money and are ready for PS5, nothing is lost, a very easy transition....

Top Bottom