• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD May 2011 Sales Results [Update 4: 3DS And Wii Hardware Sales]

The Crimson Kid

what are you waiting for
Well deserved for LA Noire. Brink deserves some level of success as well; it gets shat on way too often, often for invalid reasons that have been dealt with in patches.

Real question: How many times will new IP have to top the charts before publishers realize that most serious gamers are choosing to look for something new and unique to spend $60 on?

Who has last year's sales?

We can work out PS3 sales from this quote:

"Combined sales of the PS3 and Xbox 360 (HD hardware) are up 28% for the month and 21% year to date"

(PS360 May 2010 x 1.28) - 270k is the sum required for whoever has the data...

UberTag

I'm somewhat surprised by the lack of legs for Pokemon Black & White although I suspect it's being screwed over somewhat by the fact that those SKUs are separate while all of these other multiplatform games get bound together.

Majanew said:
Brink #2? Wow, a lot of sad gamers in May after playing that.
Duke Nukem Forever will repeat the process next month.

randomkid said:
Interesting, not a single Japanese title. When was the last time that happened?
This year's E3.

antonz said:
Lego games are HUGE. Thats why Lego GTA is going to be a big deal as a nintendo exclusive.
Licensed LEGO games are HUGE. The verdict is still out on something that doesn't have a familiar property.

Superimposer

This is getting weirder all the time
mr stroke said:
wait no Witcher 2?

I thought it sold 400k units?

I don't know much about NPD since I don't live in the US but I'm guessing that includes digital copies which aren't counted by NPD. In fact I would wager that for most PC games these days like 80% of sales would be through digital distribution.

We should be able to calculate PS3 sales based on the data given by Ms. Frazier.

Four of the top 10 items in accessories were points or subscriptions cards. Those four items represented 15% of all accessory units sold in May 2011.”

This might be the most useless sentence of the year. Waste of e-ink and bandwidth to even type it out.

onQ123 said:
NBA2K11 got legs! is this the best selling NBA2K game to date?

Over 5 million.

How the fuck are Brink and (likely) Duke Nukem outselling Bulletstorm?

Amir0x said:
Nice to see L.A. Noire, although it doesn't deserve a spot that high (7.5/10). It was heavily flawed but I'd like to see them work the concept into something genuinely great. The foundation is there, unlike a Heavy Rain.

Very boring month.

Fucking hell. Its not even a crazy David Cage thread and people still want to shit on Heavy Rain!

Hehe.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
onQ123 said:

Well-deserved, I might add. Best sports game ever.

loosus

Banned
Yeah, these just aren't as interesting as they used to be and nowhere near as interesting as they were about six or seven years ago. I mean, it's always the same now: Microsoft and Sony are neck-and-neck, and Nintendo barely stays relevant. You knew what the deal was going to be before you clicked the damn thread.

zomgbbqftw said:

"Combined sales of the PS3 and Xbox 360 (HD hardware) are up 28% for the month and 21% year to date"

(PS360 May 2010 x 1.29) - 270k is the sum required for whoever has the data...
So they've found a way to stealth troll PS3 numbers Sony's been trying to hide?
hmmm
*strokes beard*

Anth0ny

onQ123 said:

Pretty sure it is.

Best basketball game ever+no competition+Michael Jordan= amazing sales and god like legs

zomgbbqftw said:

PS3 did 155k in sales last year. It was bad though due to shortages?

Also, keep in mind that the 360 were up 39% over last year, which means the PS3 was probably somewhere closer to 20% over last year in sales if not a tad less.

donny2112

zomgbbqftw said:

Don't use this equation. :p

onQ123

The Crimson Kid said:
Well deserved for LA Noire. Brink deserves some level of success as well; it gets shat on way too often, often for invalid reasons that have been dealt with in patches.

Real question: How many times will new IP have to top the charts before publishers realize that most serious gamers are choosing to look for something new and unique to spend $60 on?

when

Mario

COD

Halo

GT

GTA

stop selling millions & millions of copies with every new release

Corto

zomgbbqftw said:

Exactly what I thought. Let's wait for someone with the data to report...

Just dance is a beast. When the third one comes out for every platform under the sun, i expect it to be on the top 10 for at least 3 months

Jonsoncao

Banned
zomgbbqftw said:

(194.6 + 154.5)*1.28 - 270 = 177k

EDIT: beaten...anyway

EDIT: oh shi.....beaten by donny again

loosus said:
Yeah, these just aren't as interesting as they used to be and nowhere near as interesting as they were about six or seven years ago. I mean, it's always the same now: Microsoft and Sony are neck-and-neck, and Nintendo barely stays relevant. You knew what the deal was going to be before you clicked the damn thread.

Well, the Wii had a $50 price drop and is still probably down >30% yoy. And NoA still pretends like Xenoblade and The Last Story don't fucking exist.

BTW, here are the May 2010 numbers in comparison:

May 2010 NPD HW said:
NDS - 383.7K
Wii - 334.8K
Xbox 360 - 194.6K
PS3 - 154.5K
PSP - 59.4K

May 2010 NPD SW said:
Red Dead Redemption (360) - 945.9K
Red Dead Redemption (PS3) - 567.1K
Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii) - 563.9K
UFC 2010: Undisputed (360) - 221.1K
UFC 2010: Undisputed (PS3) - 192.3K
Wii Fit Plus w/ Balance Board (Wii) - 185K
New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Wii) - 184K
Alan Wake (360) - 145K
Pokémon SoulSilver Version (DS) - 141K
Skate 3 (360) - 133K
Lost Planet 2 (360)
New Super Mario Bros (DS)
Pokémon Heartgold (DS)
God of War III (PS3) - <100K
Just Dance (Wii)
Mario Kart Wii, with wheel (Wii)
Super Street Fighter IV (PS3)
ModNation Racers (PS3)
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (360)
Wii Sports Resort (Wii)

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
CadetMahoney said:
In before Format Listing Order = Most sold order

bu-but mortal kombat! Just like mvc3 last time. u mad.

Why are they ordered differently then enigma remains.
Come on. How can you look at that list and not suspect it is ordered by sales?

The debate rages on..

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Sho_Nuff82 said:
Well, the Wii had a $50 price drop and is still probably down >30% yoy. And NoA still pretends like Xenoblade and The Last Story don't fucking exist.

At this point they've got Skyward Sword and NOA couldn't care about bringing over two JRPGs.

Elios83

May 2010:

Xbox 360 - 194.6K
PS3 - 154.5K

Sum = 349.1k
+28% growth = 446.848k
-Xbox 360 May 2011 sales=

PS3 sales = 177k

Edit: Beaten LOL.

Mr_eX

Hopefully the good word of mouth keeps Portal 2 in the top 10 for the next few months as it's the best game of the generation IMO and I think everyone should play it.

thirty

Banned
Price drop this fall for 360 is a lock with that last sentence in the PR statement. Not like it wasnt already tho.

ccbfan

According to this from the opening.

"At the current rate of growth and decline (on a year-to-date basis) for each of the respective console systems, a year from now the Wii will still enjoy the lead in install base in the U.S., although both the Xbox 360 and PS3 will close the gap. Of course, new details on hardware introduction could certainly change the picture"

Sounds like Wii got last place again.

DMeisterJ

Banned
zomgbbqftw said:

PS3 May 2010 - 154.5k
360 May 2010 - 194.6k
Total PS360 May 2010 - 349.1k

349.1k * 1.28 = 446.8k - 270k = PS3 = 176.8

lol, beaten

Proelite

duk said:
360 is such a beast! 6 years into the lifecycle and increased sales and still at $200-300.

LOL at people who thinks the MS won't release a console next generation at a loss in order to be future-proof for 10 years.

xbhaskarx

"[Anita Frazier's Commentary: ((194.6K + 154.5K) * 1.28) - 270K]"

After the last GAF math thread, I expect at least three different answers and many pages of arguing.

Superimposer

This is getting weirder all the time
Although, 177k is still a climb for PS3 year over year. Given the massive 360 surge, it should be considered good that their numbers are rising. Then again, not such a massive boom given the state of things a year ago.

Top Bottom