• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD May 2011 Sales Results [Update 4: 3DS And Wii Hardware Sales]

I really thought Nintendo's sales would have continued onward better than they have. 3DS and Wii are just doing bad. Hopefully Mario and Mario Kart 3DS can turn the 3DS around and there's enough userbase left for Skyward Sword to sell 1.5 or 2.5 million in America. These threads are so sad now. The April 2008 NPD thread gained so many pages so fast despite mass server failure and that thread was one of the main reasons I signed up for NeoGAF. The NPD has become such an awful group.

Mrbob said:
We need those 3DS numbers leaked. We need to know what 'light' actually means. I think there is too much faith in OOT 3D being a system seller. Nintendo needs a new Mario game stat.

Well this is the appropriate place for it, so I'm going to guess about:

350k for OOT 3D (June 19th)
150k for Resident Evil: The Mercenaries (June 28th)

For first month sales.

200k for the 3DS.

Good for 360, good for R*.

Need to get back to LA Noire, though. Only finished the Traffic cases, and barely had come to terms with the fact that no matter what I did, I was always going to fuck things up at interrogations. Music is awesome, I'll give you that.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
shintoki said:
MGS4 vs Heavy Rain: The clash of non-games!

Surprise of the month is Brink. I figured that would bomb a few months ago, turned out to be the second best seller of the month.
Those two statements might not be mutually exclusive. Such is the downside to not having numbers.

Mrbob said:
We need those 3DS numbers leaked. We need to know what 'light' actually means. I think there is too much faith in OOT 3D being a system seller. Nintendo needs a new Mario game stat.
Can't be as bad as early DS sales which had to be combined with GBA sales to hide the shame of those pathetic sub 100k numbers.

Zen

Banned
Snuggler said:
Wow. Despite all the bickering about giving credit to the wrong studio, I can't help but wonder how much the Rockstar branding helped them. Either way, the game isn't that great but it's nice to see something different be received so well.

Oh the Rock Star branding was invaluable, to be sure. There's little chance that they'd have done as well as this without that clout behind them. For people that don't know better, LA Noire is just continuing the branching out of Rockstar from GTA. Red Dead created a fundamental shift in the perception of gamers on what Rockstar is and what games are worth paying attention to that come from them. It's no longer just GTA, and LA Noire is 'close enough' to the GTA/Red Dead thing, to have synergy when it came to the first look appeal.

Kusagari

Wow at Black/White not having as good of legs as HG/SS. Nintendo's entire business is in a rut right now, not just the Wii.

Sean said:
Depends what you consider a price drop. I think MS will keep the same prices but "add value" by bundling the Kinect with every 360.
Great idea honestly. It felt like all the MS games at E3 this year were Kinect related so making the addon a basine item would help. I'd much prefer a price drop on the Kinect itself.

antonz

Kusagari said:
Wow at Black/White not having as good of legs as HG/SS. Nintendo's entire business is in a rut right now, not just the Wii.
Nintendo really played it in full stupid mode not designing Black/White as major launch titles for 3DS.

Jokeropia

Kusagari said:
B/W opened way bigger, though. 2.5 million vs. 1.76 million.

MoeB

why are people still complaining about the lack of sales figures. Why don't you complainers go and collect the data yourselves.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
PS3 numbers ouch.

Blame it on the breach?

Blame it on the breach.

A lot of people thought May's numbers would reflect that. I wonder if it's better than everyone expected or not.

Busaiku

Kusagari said:
It had the biggest first 2 months of any Pokemon game yet.
Keep in mind that NPD does not combine Black and White (nor did they Heart Gold/Soul Silver or any Pokemon) game like they combine multiplatform games.
In May 2010, Soul Silver did 141k, so it's very possible that it Black or White could've done similarly.

ps3 still got a YoY boost despite all the bad press during that month?

well its better then I expected. sales didnt seem to be effected that much. same dip month over month as the 360.

Still I predict price drops for almost everything this holiday.

Jinfash said:
PS3 numbers ouch.

Blame it on the breach?

Blame it on the breach.

A lot of people thought May's numbers would reflect that. I wonder if it's better than everyone expected or not.

Much better than I expected since they are up year on year. I figured flat or down given the length of the breach and how damaging I thought it would be to the brand equity. Turns out it wasn't really...

bananas

Banned
funkystudent said:
ps3 still got a YoY boost despite all the bad press during that month?

well its better then I expected. sales didnt seem to be effected that much. same dip month over month as the 360.

Still I predict price drops for almost everything this holiday.

My predictions for price drops.

Wii just dropped it's price to $149, so barring any catastrophic sales numbers, I'd say that's unlikely.

The PS3 probably will drop it's price. $200 for the low-end. $300 for highend. $300 for Move bundle.

The 360 will get rid of it's non-Kinect SKUs and bring the price down on the remaining Kinect SKUs. $200 for 4GB+Kinect. $300 for 320GB+Kinect.

onQ123 said:
NBA2K11 got legs! is this the best selling NBA2K game to date?
Yeah, NBA 2K11 has longer legs than most NBA players it seems.

The 2K11 Edition really broke through a glass ceiling by being pretty darned good, including Michael Jordan, and having the lucky break that EA pulled NBA Elite from the market.

Animator

Brink is dead already (800 people on average a day on steam). Thats a lot of people who is regretting their purchase right now, I am one of them.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Brink (360, PS3) -- 401K
Mortal Kombat (360, PS3) -- 292K

Numbers are real, unable to comment further. And this is not a policy shift re: leaks, so don't get any ideas.

Sydle

Nice 360 numbers. Love thinking back to just last summer when many thought Microsoft should close shop on the 360, the investors are pissed, and the Kinect would bomba -- must be severe burns. Probably won't see a price drop this year, but I expect to see crazy bundling this holiday, Kinect with everything + games like Dance Central + Kinect Sports, etc.

Good numbers for PS3 in face of all the negative press. I still think it's going to blow the sales charts up when it finally drops to $200. The branding effect of the PS Vita should help shift more eyes towards Sony as well.

I'm curious to see the Zelda OoT effect on 3DS sales.

Off topic, but I'm now curious to read Amirox's Heavy Rain impressions...

MoeB said:
why are people still complaining about the lack of sales figures. Why don't you complainers go and collect the data yourselves.
herpety derp? People are upset because npd used to release number, now they don't. Being the NPD thread, this seems like an appropriate place to discuss this fact.

Mooreberg

400K on two system with three weeks to sell in your first "month" isn't really all that impressive. Especially with the anecdotes of trade ins after being frustrated with the state that the game was released in.

Anyone else think DNF got delayed to just after E3 so they would get some upfront sales before the bad reviews start rolling in?

xbhaskarx

lawblob said:
PS3 was network supply constrained
lol

onQ123 said:
I think this is the longest a NPD thread has ever stayed under 5 pages (50 PPP)

Nothing much is changing from month to month, people will require a new generation of consoles for the system warz to pick up steam again.
Also NPD killed NPD threads by refusing to release the numbers.

Amir0x said:
It's not fair to heavy Rain since that's not a game.

should be in off topic

We should get far more detailed numbers for Heavy Rain and MGS4, total box office, number of theaters...

DMeisterJ

Banned
onQ123 said:
I think this is the longest a NPD thread has ever stayed under 5 pages (50 PPP)

Not too much to discuss. Console sales are status quo, and boring software with few games people care to know the sales of. Next month should be fun. People will want to see RE: Mercs, OoT, inFamous 2, and The Duke's sales. And any appropriate hardware increases.

NPD will pick up when PS Vita launches. New handheld war.

MS PR said:
During the month of May, four of the top ten console game titles were for Xbox 360 including: “L.A. Noire,” “Portal 2,” “Mortal Kombat,” and “Brink.” (Source: NPD Group, May 2011)
Why wouldn't they say NINE of the top ten console games were available on Xbox 360? Missed gloating opportunity...

duk

Banned
Paco said:
Nice 360 numbers. Love thinking back to just last summer when many thought Microsoft should close shop on the 360, the investors are pissed, and the Kinect would bomba -- must be severe burns. Probably won't see a price drop this year, but I expect to see crazy bundling this holiday, Kinect with everything + games like Dance Central + Kinect Sports, etc.

Good numbers for PS3 in face of all the negative press. I still think it's going to blow the sales charts up when it finally drops to $200. The branding effect of the PS Vita should help shift more eyes towards Sony as well.

I'm curious to see the Zelda OoT effect on 3DS sales.

Off topic, but I'm now curious to read Amirox's Heavy Rain impressions...

a $150 arcade sku will be a glorious seller for xmas

Top Bottom