• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD November 2012 Results [Up6: Black Ops 2, Halo 4, Most Wanted, Assassin's Creed 3]

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Tomorrow.

MVWOT.jpg
Does that include a PS3 estimate?

Saty

I don't know what you consider a bomb, but it didn't come close to Blood Money debut
Didn't find hard numbers, but:

TOP 10 CONSOLE GAMES, JUNE 2006
1) New Super Mario Bros. (DS, Nintendo)
2) Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories (PS2, Rockstar/Take-Two)
3) Brain Age: Train Your Brain in Minutes a Day (DS, Nintendo)
4) Cars (PS2, THQ)
5) Hitman: Blood Money (Xbox 360, Eidos)
6) Cars (Game Boy Advance, THQ)
7) FIFA World Cup 2006 (PS2, Electronic Arts)
8) Big Brain Academy (DS, Nintendo)
9) Hitman: Blood Money (PS2, Eidos)
10) Cars (GameCube, THQ)

And here's NPD's best selling games of 2006:
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/tech/gaming/2007-01-01-gears-of-war_x.htm

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Didn't find hard numbers, but:

TOP 10 CONSOLE GAMES, JUNE 2006
1) New Super Mario Bros. (DS, Nintendo)
2) Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories (PS2, Rockstar/Take-Two)
3) Brain Age: Train Your Brain in Minutes a Day (DS, Nintendo)
4) Cars (PS2, THQ)
5) Hitman: Blood Money (Xbox 360, Eidos)
6) Cars (Game Boy Advance, THQ)
7) FIFA World Cup 2006 (PS2, Electronic Arts)
8) Big Brain Academy (DS, Nintendo)
9) Hitman: Blood Money (PS2, Eidos)
10) Cars (GameCube, THQ)

And here's NPD's best selling games of 2006:
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/tech/gaming/2007-01-01-gears-of-war_x.htm

I found some NPD datas about software sales in June 2006, and Hitman: Blood Money did 160k on 360.

jcm

The 3DS isn't going to be the DS. Accept that and then look at the system again in its own light.

The 3DS was the top-selling gaming system (handheld or console) worldwide in 2011.
The 3DS will be the top-selling gaming system (handheld or console) worldwide in 2012.

So it will be the top-selling gaming system worldwide in both of its first two years on the market. Once you decouple the 3DS from the insane levels reached by the DS - you realize that the 3DS is on its way to having its own healthy lifespan.

I agree the 3DS isn't going to be the DS, but I'm not sure why you state this as is if were an obvious result. It's not either of those things. The fact that Nintendo has continually lowered both the price and the sales forecast tells you that. It's not even a widely held belief, if gaf threads are anything to go by.

Also, last FY the 3DS was not the top selling gaming system. It sold 13.53 units of hardware, and 36M units of software. In the same period the PS3 sold 13.9M hardware and 156.6M software. It will likely outsell the PS3 this FY, but is it really much of an accomplishment for a handheld in its second full year to squeak by a couple of long-in-the-tooth home consoles?

I guess your prediction of the 3DS's future depends heavily on the definition of healthy. It's not going to be a money pit like the PS3 was, but there's plenty of space between PS3 and healthy.

DGRE

Banned
That seems shockingly awful. Would have expected 25% bare minimum.

For comparison, CoD2 attach rate at Xbox 360 launch was 77% (and that was before the franchise exploded in popularity).

There is no comparison. CoD2 was one of the flagship titles for 360. It was the only console receiving CoD as well. The people who wanted BLOPS2 purchased it right when it came out. No one was waiting for the Wii U to pick it up, and that really shouldn't surprise anyone.

Not sure if this was posted but Steven Totilo posted this over on kotaku.

Looks like that 5% attach rate was correct.

In the first calendar month it was on sale, November, the Wii U sold more than 425,000 units in November. The machine launched on November 18 and NPD, the U.S. sales tracking firm, counted that number of units sold in the week that followed launch. In that same period, sources tell me that NPD calculated that the Wii U version of Black Ops II sold 23,000 copies (NPD sales figures for individual games are not public, and a rep for the company did not respond to a request to confirm this, though I'm confident my sources are correct).

AzaK

Not sure if this was posted but Steven Totilo posted this over on kotaku.

Looks like that 5% attach rate was correct.

5% is not too bad as far as launch attach rates go right? Especially for a title that so heavily geared towards current gen systems and that came out two weeks earlier on them. I wonder if that would have changed had Nintendo released Wii U at the same time.

Hopefully it doesn't mean no more CoD on Wii U.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Surprised NFS is not higher and thought Wii U would be lower.

I noticed this and thought it was crazy, wanted to share: PS3 version of NFS is actually slightly higher than Xbox. That's like... the first time I've noticed that, heh. I wonder why.

djyella

Well, I finally got my WiiU! :D Deluxe edition and got Zombi U as my first game...hurt so bad to leave BLOPS2, ME3 and Mario on the shelf :(...next month more hard choices haha

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I don't know what you consider a bomb, but it didn't come close to Blood Money debut

oh, didnt know that was unknown. Blood Money ~345k in 4 weeks. Since it's 2006.
01. Deus Ex: Human Revolution (360, PS3, PC)** Square Enix Inc - 244K

Hmm, well, I guess it could still end up being the best opening for a post-Square Enix Eidos game.

I noticed this and thought it was crazy, wanted to share: PS3 version of NFS is actually slightly higher than Xbox. That's like... the first time I've noticed that, heh. I wonder why.

My guess would be that there are just enough driving fans on PS3 to tilt it despite the installed bases.

Also, there were no major PS3 exclusives to take away attention, while the 360 had Halo 4.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!

Hot Pursuit did the same thing in 2010. Even with GT5 that same month.

NFS seemed to do better on the PS3 than 360 on the UK charts as well, despite the disparity in installed base.

Audience may be larger for racing games within the PS3 installed base though both in the UK and US.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Column will be up tomorrow.

I don't have explicit hardware figures in the column -- sorry. My estimates are below.

Xbox 360 = 1260K
PS3 = 760K
3DS = 540K
Wii U = 425K
Wii = 420K
NDS = 370K
PSV = 220K

As usual, these are my estimates only, unofficial, rounded to the nearest 5K. Perhaps our friend John Harker might be willing to give a nod one way or the other on whether I'm completely nuts.

I'm not sure if anyone posted the full MS PR. It's mostly covered in the OP of this thread, but just for posterity:
MS PR said:
Xbox 360 closed another impressive month, strengthening its position in the console market with U.S. sales of 1.26 million units in November. Over the week of Black Friday, Xbox 360 sold more than 750,000 consoles in the U.S. alone,* marking an impressive and exciting start to the holiday sales period.

November 2012 NPD highlights:
· Xbox 360 sold 1.26 million units in November, maintaining the number-one console spot in the U.S. for the 23rd consecutive month. (Source: NPD Group, November 2012)
· Total retail spend on the Xbox 360 platform in November (hardware, software and accessories) reached $1.2 billion, the most for any console in the U.S. (Source: NPD Group, November 2012)
· During the month of November, Xbox 360 held four of the top 10 console game titles including: “Halo 4,” “Call of Duty: Black Ops 2,” “Assassin’s Creed 3,” and “NFL Madden 13.” (Source: NPD Group, November 2012)

Xbox is providing fun for everyone this holiday season with exclusive blockbuster games like “Halo 4” (which generated more than $220 million worldwide in the first 24-hours of its release), “Dance Central 3,” “Fable: The Journey” and “Forza Horizon,” as well as new family friendly titles such as “Kinect Nat Geo TV,” “Kinect Sesame Street TV,” and “Nike + Kinect Training.” In fact, since its launch on Oct. 23, “Forza Horizon” players have driven an equivalent distance from Earth to the moon and back 434 times in the game.

Xbox 360 will continue to offer consumers great value throughout the holiday season with a variety of special offers and pricing plans. A $50-off pricing promotion on select Xbox 360 consoles and three holiday bundles that include everything your family will need to experience all Xbox 360 has to offer are available now at participating retailers through Jan. 5, while supplies last.** Consumers can also get the best all-in-one entertainment experience starting at $99 with a two-year Xbox LIVE Gold commitment at $14.99/month. The Xbox 360 Entertainment For All Plan offers access to the best entertainment experiences including TV, movies, music, and sports, plus the hottest blockbuster games – all in one package. ***

*(Source: Internal data, Sunday, Nov. 18 – Friday, Nov. 23)
**Savings based on estimated retail prices. Actual retail prices may vary.
***Applicable taxes extra. Early termination fee and other restrictions apply. See retailer for offer terms. Prices are Estimated Retail Prices. Actual retailer prices may vary.

jvm

Gamasutra.
I thought x360 was double something something.

Xbox 360 = 1260K
PS3 = 760K
The source of that is here, as far as I can tell. The figures I'm putting up give:

1260/760 = 1.66

Is that "nearly 2x"? For small values of 2, I suppose. But I'm just putting up what I ended up with as my estimate. I can't give an official number because i don't have one :(

NBtoaster

5% is not too bad as far as launch attach rates go right? Especially for a title that so heavily geared towards current gen systems and that came out two weeks earlier on them. I wonder if that would have changed had Nintendo released Wii U at the same time.

Hopefully it doesn't mean no more CoD on Wii U.

It's half the attach rate of COD 3 Wii, which was a notably downgraded version also available on four other platforms, BLOPs 2 is a roughly equal version available on three other platforms, and the series is much bigger now.

jvm

Gamasutra.
It's half the attach rate of COD 3 Wii, which was a notably downgraded version also available on four other platforms, BLOPs 2 is a roughly equal version available on three other platforms, and the series is much bigger now.
It seems possible that network service stickiness is keeping people from jumping to a new platform for a game with a large multiplayer component.

I don't know why I keep hearing that, Nintendo is running A LOT of TV ads for the Wii U. I mean, I don't consider them particularly effective... but it isn't like they aren't spending ad dollars.

It is that their marketing campaign has the wrong message, tied with a name for the system that sends the wrong message.

It's just all wrong in terms of sparking interest in the system.

It seems possible that network service stickiness is keeping people from jumping to a new platform for a game with a large multiplayer component.

This is a noticeable concern as Nintendo tries to wrestle for 3rd party parity in the next few years. Also puts a big onus on MS and Sony to make the network transition as painless as possible going to their next systems.

I found some NPD datas about software sales in June 2006, and Hitman: Blood Money did 160k on 360.

oh wow. I'm surprised it sold as much. there were people in the hitman threads talking about it bombing and not appealing to gamers because it was too clunky and other nonsense.

So Absolution might not have even broke 100k combined

it's what happens when you piss all over your core fanbase and then try to claim it's only rain, but it's too late to make such a claim as it's pretty fucking evident it's piss.

I hope this a wake up call to IO, don't dumb down or go for that casual market money, focus on keeping your core happy and they will do the work of attracting new fans to the series.

Averon

Entire communities have been formed on XBL and PSN. Getting them to jump and leave their friends for Wii U will be a very hard sell.

Entire communities have been formed on XBL and PSN. Getting them to jump and leave their friend for Wii U will be a very hard sell.

It would have taken but a few things actually.

New Zelda, Smash Bros., or Mario, with a totally integrated online gaming experience coupled with the Mii Verse functionality.

They missed a piece and its already torching them out of the gate. But as the 360 showed, games and content and changes can totally change the landscape of a system.

Nintendo actually has to do them though.

It would have taken but a few things actually.

New Zelda, Smash Bros., or Mario, with a totally integrated online gaming experience coupled with the Mii Verse functionality.

They missed a piece and its already torching them out of the gate. But as the 360 showed, games and content and changes can totally change the landscape of a system.

Nintendo actually has to do them though.
I expect those games to change Wii U's outlook more than a little bit. There could even eventually be a huge Pokemon community for example

EagleEyes

Even if it did end up only being half a million difference between the PS3 and 360 it will more than likely be the same difference next month also. That will be 1 million added to the 360 lead which is quite impressive to say the least.

Road

Nice idea trying to put a daily average comparison.

As for the PS2, I don't have any record for software sales as far as back, only this: http://www.npd.com/press/releases/press_001109a.htm

"Sony PlayStation 2 had 30 titles in the market, generating over $33 million in retail volume. Retail pricing for Sony PlayStation 2 software averaged $50."​

Which is some 660,000 units of software in 3 days, or an average of 220,000 per day.

Derrick01

Banned
So Absolution might not have even broke 100k combined

Don't get me so excited!

One would think a bomb would make them realize the bad decisions they made with this game but in the minds of dumbfuck publishers everywhere the realization they'll come to is "I guess people don't want Hitman anymore".

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Nintendo charts

Wii November 2012

Just Dance 4
uDraw Studio: Instant Artist
Skylanders Giants
Just Dance 3
LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes
Disney Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two
Just Dance Disney Party
Super Mario Galaxy
Zumba Fitness Core
Donkey Kong Country Returns

Wii TTM December 2011 - November 2012

Just Dance 3
Zumba Fitness 2
Just Dance 4
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
Super Mario Galaxy
Skylanders Spyro's Adventure
Wii Sports
Mario Party 9
Mario Kart Wii

3DS November 2012

New Super Mario Bros. 2
Paper Mario: Sticker Star
Angry Birds Trilogy
Mario Kart 7
Super Mario 3D Land
Wreck-It Ralph
Kingdom Hearts 3D [Dream Drop Distance]
Skylanders Giants
Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask
LEGO® The Lord of the Rings

3DS TTM December 2011 - November 2012

Mario Kart 7
Super Mario 3D Land
New Super Mario Bros. 2
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
Pokémon Rumble Blast
Kid Icarus: Uprising
Sonic Generations
Skylanders Spyro's Adventure
Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games
Kingdom Hearts 3D [Dream Drop Distance]

NDS November 2012

Pokémon Black Version 2
Pokémon White Version 2
LEGO Battles: Ninjago
New Super Mario Bros.
Mario Kart DS
Monster High Ghoul Spirit
Wreck-It Ralph
Plants vs Zombies
Brave: The Video Game

NDS TTM December 2011 - November 2012

New Super Mario Bros.
Mario Kart DS
Pokémon Black Version 2
LEGO Battles: Ninjago
Pokémon White Version 2
Plants vs Zombies
Monster High Ghoul Spirit
Super Mario 64 DS
Pokémon White Version
Pokémon Black Version

The 3DS TTM Chart being exactly the same as of last month makes me doubt about its veridicity. It already happened this year to see the TTM chart unchanged.

Pociask

Nintendo charts

Wii November 2012

Just Dance 4
Skylanders Giants
Just Dance 3
Disney Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two
Just Dance Disney Party
Super Mario Galaxy
Zumba Fitness Core
Donkey Kong Country Returns

And people say Third Party games don't sell on Nintendo platforms. Ha! They sell great
when Nintendo stops making games for that platform

Top Bottom