• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD November 2012 Results [Up6: Black Ops 2, Halo 4, Most Wanted, Assassin's Creed 3]

impact

Banned
Who is buying NBA 2K13 on PSP? I can understand some Vita owners hungry for a basketball game but those numbers wouldn't be tracked by the NPD, lol.

marcuspspheaderimg530px2.jpg

The_Joker

there can't be any wiiu titles in the top10 because there isn't a big install base...so no...this doesn't mean that the wiiu bombed...

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Don't worry about the Wii U guys, it's sell well when Mario Kicks in with a new 3D entry.

It sold just fine. The idea that it hasn't sold well because it isn't sold out is asinine.

The 360 having this level of success certainly doesn't seem like a convincing reason for MS to rush the 720.

Do you think we're going to be with these consoles beyond holidays 2013? I certainly hope not.

I wouldn't be surprised if posts like this are irrelevant after tomorrow night. Half-expecting some kind of Durango pre-reveal teaser at the VGAs.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Games don't matter.

And the answer is Kinect.
Nope.
The answer is xbox Live.

Microsoft has created an online ecosystem of consumer loyalty and awareness.

Nintendos inability to deliver a unified integrated online platform will cost them. Hardware centered. Generations are over. The online platform is the future.

MrDaravon

People were seriously expecting NSMBU to be on here? Even if that game had a 1:1 attach ratio it wouldn't have cracked the top 10. People be crazy.

Anyone got a graph showing the correlation between the decline of the gaming industry and the reduction in info in the NPD numbers?

IMO Fanboys no longer buy games simply to boost their platforms NPD result and the industry has suffered

Hmm you might be onto something.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So I feel this top 10 establishes (not that it wasn't obvious) that went the market contracts, it's the longstanding, megapopular series that survive and excel.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
How can there be any Wii U exclusives on the chart with the userbase it has now?

Let's say Wii U sold 500k. Let's say some piece of software had the same initial attach rate as Twilight Princess did with the Wii in 2006. It'd almost certainly have made the top 10.

Kusagari

November is probably the most busy month of the year for video games and everything on NPD now is grouped by console.

There was zero chance of any Wii U titles sniffing even the top 15 with how little install base it has.

kinggroin

Banned
Incredible, absolutely incredible.

Bravo MS for pulling the rug out from under Nintendo.

Consumer confusion

Bad first impression among core gamers

And a completely attractive 360 price/library

Your move Ninty

AniHawk

the wii u will probably be between 300k and 400k. that won't be enough for it to have any exclusive games in the top 10 in november.

Mikey Jr.

double compared to each individually.

i'm assuming almost double ps3 and way more for all the rest

Nearly 2x every other console.

The PS3 was most likely the second highest.

So I would say PS3 sold about 650k?

That about right?

miksar

Don't worry about the Wii U guys, it's sell well when Mario Kicks in with a new 3D entry.
3DS already has Mario Kart, 3D Mario and 2D Mario, yet it sold less units this November than in 2011.
MS must be feeling pretty good right now. Outselling 'the Wii Family' is rather impressive.
It's not that impressive if you consider that Wii is practically dead and Wii U has just released.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
The 360 having this level of success certainly doesn't seem like a convincing reason for MS to rush the 720.

Do you think we're going to be with these consoles beyond holidays 2013? I certainly hope not.

Generally speaking you don't wait until your console is completely dead to replace it unless you hate yourself and want to give competitors as big a window of opportunity as possible.

Mrbob

The drop from 2011 is fairly significant. MS can't go another year with only the 360. MS can trumpet that they are the best of the worst, but these numbers aren't anything great to talk about.

Top console at 1.26 million, PS3 around 600K to 700K (based on MS data), and everything else under?

Actually, I do have one question though. Didn't Nintendo state the Wii U sold 400K and the Wii 300K during Black Friday? How does the MS fuzzy math of X360 being more than double Wii U and Wii work?

Edit: Never mind. They just said more than Wii and Wii U combined.

antonz

Let's say Wii U sold 500k. Let's say some piece of software had the same initial attach rate as Twilight Princess did with the Wii in 2006. It'd almost certainly have made the top 10.

There wasn't a single launch title that had the kind of draw that Twilight Princess had though.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Incredible, absolutely incredible.

Bravo MS for pulling the rug out from under Nintendo.

Consumer confusion

Bad first impression among core gamers

And a completely attractive 360 price/library

Your move Ninty

No offense, but Microsoft had nothing to do with two of those three.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Actually, I do have one question though. Didn't Nintendo state the Wii U sold 400K and the Wii 300K during Black Friday? How does the MS fuzzy math of X360 being more than double Wii U and Wii work?
Pretty sure they were just saying Wii + Wii U < 360 not Wii + Wii U x 2 < 360

Road

"The much anticipated launch of the new Wii U console brought in more dollars than the Wii launch in November 2006, up 21 percent from that launch month," he said. "With an average price 35 percent higher for the Wii U at launch compared to the Wii, this is an example of how consumers are willing to come out and spend when they see the value of the product.&#8221;​

Assuming Wii ASP: $250
Assuming Wii Nov 2006 sales: 476k

Total revenue: $119 million

Wii U = 119 million * 1.21 / (250 * 1.35) = 427k (emphasis on assuming)

EDIT: I just noticed the first sentence could mean hardware+software+accessory revenue, not hardware only. In that case, the math is useless.
EDIT2: Nintendo PR supports the math.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Just Dance 4 Wii U outselling PS3 is slightly surprising, I guess.

Hardly in the least. The same reason the Wii SKU sold the most. People basically recognize that brand as a Wii game and it surely translated to WiiU enough for that version to outsell the PS3 version.

Top Bottom