• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD November 2012 Results [Up6: Black Ops 2, Halo 4, Most Wanted, Assassin's Creed 3]

3.2M for Halo 4? Looks like it didn't suffer too much from being a non-Bungie Halo and launching a week away from BO2 (seems BO2 had a bigger drop).

I called it when I said the iPad would obliterate sales this season when going toe to toe with the Wii U.

Working with kids over the years, I was there when they all wanted a DS, then it was the Wii, then the iPod Touch, now it's the iPad. Not a single kid I know has mentioned the Wii U. Anecdotal obviously, but they all can't get enough of the iPad.

Parents also seem to like this, due to the cheap and educational content. I think GAF forgets the bolded part.

Places are sold out of iPad Minis all around me, but I can walk into Best Buy and buy a Wii U.

Just my experience.

well, according to Nielson 39% of kids under 13 want a Wii U:

http://blog.nielsen.com/nielsenwire/consumer/u-s-kids-continue-to-look-forward-to-iholiday/

More want an iPad, yes, but when you look at the numbers from 2010 (the oldest I could find) iPad topped the list at 30%.

http://blog.nielsen.com/nielsenwire...-s-eyeing-big-ticket-tech-this-holiday-season

so, obviously that 39% is a substantial figure.

and I don't think Nintendo had any chance in hell of outselling the iPad, even if they were able to sell as many Wii Us as they manufactured in Nov and Dec.

jcm

There is one thing that I really appreciate about nintendo: they release NPD numbers even when are bad, differently to sony who release only positive results.

The vita has totally screwed up Sony's sales reporting. Even if the ps3 had a good month, they'd need to keep their mouths shut.

It's like having two sons. One is moderately successful, one is a homeless crackhead. I think you just avoid bringing up the subject of kids altogether.

omonimo

Banned
The vita has totally screwed up Sony's sales reporting. Even if the ps3 had a good month, they'd need to keep their mouths shut.

If sony was smarter, psvita would been never released but it seems they completely ignored the market trend.

SeanR1221

well, according to Nielson 39% of kids under 13 want a Wii U:

http://blog.nielsen.com/nielsenwire/consumer/u-s-kids-continue-to-look-forward-to-iholiday/

More want an iPad, yes, but when you look at the numbers from 2010 (the oldest I could find) iPad topped the list at 30%.

http://blog.nielsen.com/nielsenwire...-s-eyeing-big-ticket-tech-this-holiday-season

so, obviously that 39% is a substantial figure.

and I don't think Nintendo had any chance in hell of outselling the iPad, even if they were able to sell as many Wii Us as they manufactured in Nov and Dec.

But you also have to wonder how much overlap there is.

I know one kid asking for an iPad, iPod and MacBook. Obviously he won't get all three.

I'm sure some kids say they want a ton of stuff, the question is, what will parents buy when it comes down to it.

The majority of parents will go the iPad route because it's insanely cheaper once you factor in game prices for the Wii U.

Obviously my story is anecdotal. You're looking at a sample size of 15. ;)

Your charts are interesting though. How many kids were polled? Those percentage differences seem pretty significant to me, even if demand is there for the Wii U.

I work with elementary kids and have heard demand for Wii U and 3DS, but have noticed parents sometimes seem to think one console or handheld is enough and see no reason to buy another one when the old one works just fine.

Man, you really have a thing about GT sales, don't you!

GT: PSP shifted 620,000 copies in the US in the first 3 months so I'd say around a million is probably right. Certainly closer than 3 mill, it's only done 4 million & change worldwide IIRC.

My thing with GT is PAL posters creating the illusion that the series is as popular worldwide as it is in Europe and it isn't. Anytime GT sales comes up, the vast majority of the time it is a PAL poster doing it. It just gets old. The series is on a decline in the US yet it is used in list wars all the time.

The discussion was about franchise strength, not explicity just in the US.

Why would that matter in a thread about US sales?

Log4Girlz

No one "gets" it until they've played it. People instantly understood the Wii or Kinect just by looking at them. My girlfriend's "casual" mom didn't understand what I was showing her, thought it was some little kid's tablet, but once she started playing it (especially off-screen play) she thought it was amazing and asked her husband for one for Christmas.

Nintendo needs to literally have Japanese men drive around the county demoing Wii U door to door.

An amazing business plan.

SeanR1221

Now that's just plain greed :-/

The mass contraction of dedicated handhelds and proliferation of mobile devices?

Not as greedy as you might think, considering the parents' salaries.

It would be the equivalent of asking for a blu-ray, action figure and video game for some kids.

test_account

XP-39C²
Handheld market has been completely compromise, a lot of analysts said that, but sony doesn't care about it.
The complete collapse of the dedicated handheld market outside Japan.
That is true, but i'm not sure that it is completely ignored. Playstation Mobile is one thing that they have done towards this at least. But the developement of the 3DS and the Vita was probably started in 2010 sometime. It is hard to know exactly how these devices would be recieved when they were released.

SmokyDave

The mass contraction of dedicated handhelds and proliferation of mobile devices?
Handheld market has been completely compromise, a lot of analysts said that, but sony doesn't care about it.
The complete collapse of the dedicated handheld market outside Japan.

Man, what a difference two years makes. Comments like these would've been heralded as unbridled lunacy not so long ago.

jcm

That is true, but i'm not sure that it is completely ignored. Playstation Mobile is one thing that they have done towards this at least. But the developement of the 3DS and the Vita was probably started in 2010 sometime. It is hard to know exactly how these devices would be recieved when they were released.

Yes, I'm not sure what either Sony or Nintendo should have done, I just know what they did hasn't worked. I'm much more of a critic than a creator. :)

omonimo

Banned
The best thing to do now, for sony, is change completely the perception of the psvita in the costumer mind, imho. They have to try to pass the idea it is something between the ipad-iphone-tablet, but looking to the recent marketing, it seems to persist to the 'image' of the handheld portable console; I don't know how can works even with a price cut.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
The best thing to do now, for sony, is change completely the perception of the psvita in the costumer mind, imho. They have to try to pass the idea it is something comparable to the ipad, but looking to the recent marketing, it seems to persist to the 'image' of the handheld portable console; I don't know how can works even with a price cut.

What?

So you guys claim that the Vita was DOA because of the iPad's influence, and then suggest that further associating its image with that of the iPad would increase sales?

lol

Vita's a lost cause as is, Sony needs to do a serious rethink on the platform before even trying to salvage things.

3DS needs to go back to Nintendo's Game Boy idelogies if it wants a long term future in today's smartphone/tablet world. There's still consumer confusion with it's predecessor too, which is unacceptable at this point.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Vita's a lost cause as is, Sony needs to do a serious rethink on the platform before even trying to salvage things.

3DS needs to go back to Nintendo's Game Boy idelogies if it wants a long term future in today's smartphone/tablet world. There's still consumer confusion with it's predecessor too, which is unacceptable at this point.

With Game Boy ideologies, you mean a machine just to play games? I don't know how many people would consider it, despite the possible very low price. It's true associating your image with the iPad is bad, but IMHO just going back to be just a games machine, in times like this where media / social integrations are felt as needed, would be equally bad.

StevieP

Banned
Unlike Handhelds, They are not dedicated gaming consoles, people use them for other purpose.

So what you're saying is that services and "living room friendlyness" are going to be more important to some platform holders than hardcore gaming? Interesting ;)

SmokyDave said:
It may well be. I must admit, I didn't see that coming. I figured they'd decimate handhelds but consoles were sufficiently differentiated and safe.

The industry is definitely contracting. You'll see that when all 3 of the 8th gen consoles are out and more studios shutter. The mid tier is effectively dead at this point, and it's "AAAA" or mobile that's going to survive the transition. Eurocom is another lost soul today, and I particularly liked their output (past and present).

Gartooth

So Paper Mario ended up 68% of another Mario, I'm guessing that means 68% of NSMBU? (given it was the only other Mario released this month)

So around 165k for Paper Mario if I picked the right game to base it off on. Not too bad given the state of 3DS sales in the west, hopefully it has good long legs. (not sure on how well the Mario RPGs in particular do over time)

StevieP

Banned
I don't think I agree with that. Unless you don't consider the current consoles dedicated gaming machines?

There is going to be a pretty sizable contraction for *all* console makers for the 8th generation, in my opinion. None of them are going to sell as well as this generation's hardware.

test_account

XP-39C²
Yes, I'm not sure what either Sony or Nintendo should have done, I just know what they did hasn't worked. I'm much more of a critic than a creator. :)
Thinking about what they could do instead, i actually cant think of much. If they would make a tablet device, then it would also have to compete with iOS and Android, which are two very established platforms. If Nintendo and Sony made their own OS for a tablet, it would have the exclusive content of course, but the overall content would be less compared to iOS and Android. Then there is also the pricing of the games, and also the lack of buttons. Even if they followed the market trends, i think it would still be hard for them to compete in the gaming space with these devices. Very hard to say for sure though.

The same is coming for dedicated gaming consoles.
I agree, but today's gaming consoles are not really dedicated gaming consoles though. They have many multimedia features as well.

I don't think I agree with that. Unless you don't consider the current consoles dedicated gaming machines?

well, they aren't any more, even if they were at launch. the dedicated game console is already dead, but that's fine, because my Xbox 360 doesn't just play live TV, Netflix and browse the web.

jcm

There is going to be a pretty sizable contraction for *all* console makers for the 8th generation, in my opinion. None of them are going to sell as well as this generation's hardware.

Well, maybe, but the 7th gen was huge. Something like 240M consoles this gen, vs maybe 140M 6th gen circa 2005?

well, they aren't any more, even if they were at launch. the dedicated game console is already dead, but that's fine, because my Xbox 360 doesn't just play live TV, Netflix and browse the web.

Yes, this is what I was geting at. I think the console manufacturers have done a good job at making boxes people want under their TVs, and not just for video games.

They still are.

I mean, fuck, DS is up YoY, so how does this make any sense?

You're kidding, right?

Code:
November 2005
NDS   -  369K
GBA   -  820K
PSP   -  353K
Total - 1542K

November 2006
NDS   -  918K
GBA   -  641K
PSP   -  412K
Total - 1971K

November 2007
NDS   - 1530K
PSP   -  567K 
Total - 2097K

November 2008
NDS   - 1570K
PSP   -  421K
Total - 1991K

November 2009
NDS   - 1700K
PSP   -  294K
Total - 1994K

November 2010
NDS   - 1500K
PSP   -  288K
Total - 1788K

November 2011
NDS   -  350K
3DS   -  795K
PSP   - ?

November 2012
NDS   -  370K
3DS   -  540K
PSV   - ~220K
Total - 1130K

AHA-Lambda

Not as greedy as you might think, considering the parents' salaries.

It would be the equivalent of asking for a blu-ray, action figure and video game for some kids.

I can only speak personally but my parents could afford all 3 but if I asked for all 3 they'd tell me to get to f*ck.

My own personal opinion but given how expensive they are one of those is plenty as a gift. I got an iMac as a 21st present not as some random Xmas gift when I was 14 or whatever.

Also in relation to the future of dedicated consoles I think they'll weather the storm for the time being much better than handhelds have. They're relevancy may be called into question once cloud services and smart TVs become more prevalent I feel.

Is releasing anything else than a tablet or cellphone with no buttons completely ignoring the market trends? But did Nintendo also completely ignore the market trend?

They certainly did to a large extent, but they at least have Mario/Pokemon to fall back on and didn't overengineer the system to the point that a first-year price cut was unaffordable.

They also did a far better job of courting Japanese third parties pre-launch, so they also have their home territory to fall back on even if they can't reverse or halt current trends in the West.

1-D_FTW

Man, what a difference two years makes. Comments like these would've been heralded as unbridled lunacy not so long ago.

People were definitely saying it two years ago, but you're right, they were shouted down as lunatics by people who can only see backwards, and not 10 feet ahead of them.

SmokyDave

People were definitely saying it two years ago, but you're right, they were shouted down as lunatics by people who can only see backwards, and not 10 feet ahead of them.

I know, I was one of those shouted down :(

Mind you, I'm also a lunatic so it all evens out.

True, but no one's going to be buying a $399-499 Durango or PS4 for Nettlix or web browsing. It's like arguing someone buying a 360 for DVD movies, other well established lower cost devices already provide all these things. 3DS and Vita can do most of this as well even, and that certainly isn't bailing them out.

Even Microsoft sees the writing on the wall, which is why they're bothering with the low end / massmarket Loop alongside Durango for those dedicated services.

Top Bottom