• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD November 2012 Results [Up6: Black Ops 2, Halo 4, Most Wanted, Assassin's Creed 3]

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
In the case of an hybrid, it'd be basically an handheld platform just a little more powerful than Wii U ( but with a modern architecture) capable to be connected to the TV through a sort of station connected to it. And then, you can use the console as the pad. Mmmh...

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Hold on, I didn't say Zombi U bombed. It's all about attach rates. Did it do as well as Red Steel? Well, no... not by half, but in terms of attach rates, it's still quiet good. It's a shame it didn't do better though, because it's a great game. Hopefully it has a good tail. But it's not a flop.

Though like 60% of launch titles didn't do 5 digits... and that's the big ouch (in my opinion)

So that puts ZombiU somewhere less then 55k. If it did around 50k then that isn't horrible like you said, that means around 1 in 9 WiiU owners bought the game. Does that last part mean that anything out of the top 9 did less then 10k?

Kacho

Gold Member
Hold on, I didn't say Zombi U bombed. It's all about attach rates. Did it do as well as Red Steel? Well, no... not by half, but in terms of attach rates, it's still quiet good. It's a shame it didn't do better though, because it's a great game. Hopefully it has a good tail. But it's not a flop.

Though like 60% of launch titles didn't do 5 digits... and that's the big ouch (in my opinion)

I'm happy to hear that. Still, the sales leave a lot of be desired I guess. Maybe it will fare better in the month of December.

AniHawk

zombi u did around 50k then, eh. 10% isn't a bad attach rate, i guess. but it's pretty bad for anything second from the top.

so less than a million pieces of software sold at launch, not including nintendoland bundles.

neat.

Can you tell us what total Wii U software sales were?

Mpl90

If 60% of launch titles is intended as "60% of ALL launch titles", since Wii U had 29 retail titles at launch, this means around 17 titles did less than 10k. Then, the first 12 titles are better than 10k

So that puts ZombiU somewhere less then 55k. If it did around 50k then that isn't horrible like you said, that means around 1 in 9 WiiU owners bought the game. Does that last part mean that anything out of the top 9 did less then 10k?

I wonder if it will do better this month. Higher Wii U installed base, holiday season, and more exposure. Maybe....MAYBE 20% attach rate :p

AniHawk

Can you tell us what total Wii U software sales were?

max sales time:

nsmbu: 243k
zombi u (not half of red steel's first month): 50k
scribblenauts (less than zombi u): 50k
cod9 (less than scribblenauts): 50k
just dance (less than cod9): 50k
nland (less than just dance): 50k
six games between nintendo land and the 10k mark: 300k
17 games at less than 10k: 170k

total: 963k

so keep in mind that this is probably the absolute best case scenario. real numbers are much lower.

Foshy

max sales time:

five games between nintendo land and the 10k mark: 250k
17 games at less than 10k: 17k

total: 760k

so keep in mind that this is probably the absolute best case scenario. real numbers are much lower.

If we had CoD PC numbers we could maybe get to a closer estimate.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
The reaaaaaaall winner this month is........

uDraw ...
killed it this month. yah bargin bin pricing, i guess?

If 60% of launch titles is intended as "60% of ALL launch titles", since Wii U had 29 retail titles at launch, this means around 17 titles did less than 10k. Then, the first 12 titles are better than 10k
If not by half from John Harker is to be taken literally, with Red Steel at 107K, then 11 of the titles are essentially less than 50K or less.

So maximum software sales would be around:
+ 11 x 55K = 550K
+ 17 x 10K = 170K
= 963K

But presumably it's quite a lot less than that.

Zombie U sales aren't disappointing if you're using the assumption that it has legs and will continue to sell as long as new wii U owners continue buy it.

If not though...

max sales time:

total: 810k

but like harker sort of said, I guess this is the more disappointing part overall. 60% doing less than 10K is..... :/

Skiesofwonder

So reading between the lines:

WiiU: 425k

Top 15:
NSMBU (273k)
ZombiU (around 50k)
Scribblenauts Unlimited
Black Ops 2
Just Dance 4
NintendoLand (bundled with Deluxe)
Epic Mickey 2
Arkham City
Sonic Racing Transformed
Skylanders Giants (<10k)
Assassin's Creed 3 (<10k)
Sing Party (<10k)
Madden 13 (<10K)
ESPN Sports Connection (<10K)
NG3: Razor's Edge (<10k)

(List from creamsugar)

For comparison:

lunchwithyuzo said:
Xbox 360 (Nov 2005) 325,000
01 Call of Duty 2: 260,000
02 Madden NFL 06
03 Perfect Dark Zero: 160,000
04 Need for Speed: Most Wanted
05 Project Gotham Racing 3: 79,000
06 Kameo: Elements of Power: 73,000
07 Condemned: Criminal Origins
08 Quake 4: 57,000
09 NBA Live 06
10 Gun
xx Ridge Racer 6: 9,000
~1.2m total games sold

PlayStation 3 (Nov 2006) 197,000
01 Resistance: Fall of Man: 65,000
02 Madden NFL 07
03 Call of Duty 3: 24,000
04 Marvel: Ultimate Alliance
05 Ridge Racer 7
06 Need for Speed: Carbon
07 Tony Hawk's Project 8
08 NBA 2K7
09 NBA 07
10 Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom
~215k total games sold

Wii (Nov 2006) 476,000
01 The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess: 412,000
02 Red Steel: 107,000
03 Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz
04 Rayman Raving Rabbids: over 50,000
05 Call of Duty 3: 48,000
06 Madden NFL 07
07 Trauma Center: Second Opinion
08 Marvel: Ultimate Alliance
09 Excite Truck
10 Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2
~1m total games sold (not counting Wii Sports)

NSMBU > entire PS3 launch lineup

Pretty bad. :/

1-D_FTW

If we had CoD PC numbers we could maybe get to a closer estimate.

Those numbers are going to be pretty awful, cause who in their right mind is buying a physical copy of CoD? It's Steamworks. And it's online. That combination eliminates most of the Luddites. So like the XCom numbers that caused it to "bomb" in NPD, the vast majority are gonna be online sales.

In retrospect, I'm kind of shocked at how much 360 owners really loved buying software.
MS managed to attract the shooter crowd to the xbox and never let go the entire generation. Shooters always did reallllllllllllllllllllllly well. No matter the kind too, from COD to Borderlands. They got them in from the get go, top2 games by far were COD2 and Perfect Dark Zero. Then it just snowballed into other games.

max sales time:

total: 810k

Math's still off.

243k NSMBU
50k x 11 = 550k
10k x 17 = 170k

243k + 550k + 170k = 963k max

963k + 319k bundled Nintendo Land = 1282k total max

Though yes, the real figure is likely much lower. In any case Wii U definitely moved less software than Wii launch (1m + 476k bundled Wii Sports) and less unbundled software than 360 launch (1.2m). It most likely moved quite a bit less than 360 overall too. The only real bright side is it destroyed PS3 launch (215k), but that's a pretty low bar. I wonder how 3DS and Vita did in comparison overall?

AniHawk

In retrospect, I'm kind of shocked at how much 360 owners really loved buying software.

every month they would crown some sort of game with super huge sales. dead rising, lost planet, oblivion, fight night, graw. it was pretty amazing to watch happen.

Mpl90

And in the end, it's something we've seen for the whole 360 life. Heck, we're still seeing this it.

AniHawk

Math's still off.

243k NSMBU
50k x 11 = 550k
10k x 17 = 170k

243k + 550k + 170k = 963k max

963k + 319k bundled Nintendo Land = 1282k total max

you're right about my math being off. it's a long running thing with me. i like doing math, but i get ahead of myself a lot.

1-D_FTW

The power of being first with a next gen graphical leap.

It'll be interesting to see if it XBox 3 is powerful enough and if anyone is exploiting it enough to have a repeat next year. I'm skeptical. Graphics are good enough with the current gen to keep people from recklessly splurging 60 bucks a pop. I suspect they'll be more discriminating. The market's changed.

EDIT: Oh, you guys are talking the entire life-cycle? Not sure I'm totally on board with that. It may be the best platform, but the gulf between haves and have-nots has gotten really big even there.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
What's crazy is that I think this is one of the strongest lineups... yes, I know, lots of ports, but in terms of franchises, you really couldn't beat *who* was there at launch.

Unfortunately, it's the nintendo crowd that lined up day 1 for the system, and the software offerings just failed to convert them. I suppose the hope was 'lets introduce a legion of nintendo-games-only-hardcore-fans' to Mass Effect, Nina Gaiden, Batman, etc, as a starting point to get them into the worlds they likely hadn't played before (not owning ps3/xbox) and committed to future iterations. No idea what publishers expectations were, but it doesn't look like it happened en masse yet.

I still plan on picking up Zombi U before Christmas, so thats one more sale. Too bad it isn't selling the best though.

I'm surprised Epic Mickey 2 didn't do well though. The previous game did very well on the Wii so I figured it would do well on the successor as well. Guess not though.

Foshy

Those numbers are going to be pretty awful, cause who in their right mind is buying a physical copy of CoD? It's Steamworks. And it's online. That combination eliminates most of the Luddites. So like the XCom numbers that caused it to "bomb" in NPD, the vast majority are gonna be online sales.
I was just saying that because the PC version sold more than Wii U at retail and together they did about 100k. So if we somehow had the PC retail numbers we could get an approximation of the Wii U sales.

99%

every month they would crown some sort of game with super huge sales. dead rising, lost planet, oblivion, fight night, graw. it was pretty amazing to watch happen.

All great games though, DR is one of my favs this way too long gen.

Skiesofwonder

Maybe a combination of a health gaming market + introduction of HD gaming + big IPs + mostly hardcore gamers buying at launch? I don't know, but the numbers suggest that they was selling close to four games per 360 during launch month. That is insane.

Top Bottom