• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Oct 2020: Full hardware number and top 20 best selling games of the month

yurinka

All consoles are currently in short supply but the demand was probably wasn't big enough for Sony to restock it. This is what happened in Japan

Stock issues - Sold around 1K
Full availability - Sold around 6K
PS5 is very likely going to have the best selling console launch in gaming history (this is, if it sells more than PS4). This means that considering they sold out preorders in minutes, shipments and storage are going to be massive, so probably had to reduce shipments for October and November to make space for all the PS5s they need.

In addition to this, maybe it also means some people won't buy a PS4 this month because they will buy a PS5 next month instead, and we also should remember there's a pandemic out there so many people don't go to the retail stores.

PS home consoles sold like a 3rd of its units after the release of their successor. PS4 on its 8th fiscal year is selling at record levels worldwide for that point of its life cycle, even better than PS2, the best selling ever console. And Sony announced they will support it during at least 2 or 3 years. So very likely PS4 will reach its 11-12th FY as PS2 did.

I mean, demand for PS4 this year has been there until September at record levels worldwide. So it didn't magically dissapear, the main reason must have been they decreased the PS4 shipments during October to prepare the insane PS5 shipments and storage for a record launch the early next month, November because probably they couldn't handle having both. And once they solve the PS5 supply issues, they will ship PS4 as they need.

As people are evicted from their 1000sq ft apartment to 500sq ft boxes, all they can have in terms of gaming is a hand-held, that explain off the charts NSW and paltry XB1 & PS4 sales.

Bryank75

Banned
Pretty logical that if you have a last gen console that is now 7 years old selling for 300-400 and a next gen system launching next month for 400-500, people are going to wait and buy the latter.

It's astounding to me that Sony have not dropped the price on PS4.... I'd have done it a year ago to get people into the ecosystem....

Bryank75

Banned
In fairness, I have 3 in my house and I am a much bigger PS fan...

They are just super cheap at 200-300 and great to shove into a kids hands in the car to keep the quiet for a few hours.

The lite model really solidified Switch as primarily a handheld.

mr.dilya

Banned
In fairness, I have 3 in my house and I am a much bigger PS fan...

They are just super cheap at 200-300 and great to shove into a kids hands in the car to keep the quiet for a few hours.

The lite model really solidified Switch as primarily a handheld.

The reason for Nintendo’s success is because their games are appealing, fun, and unique. It’s not much more complicated than that, handheld or not.

Top Bottom