• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD October 2011 Sales Results [Up1: All Hardware, BF/Batman/Rage, All PRs]

Road

NPD Coverage: October 2-29 (4 weeks)

Overall:

Retail sales were up 1% year over year.
Total retail sales: $1.08 billion (1%)
Total non-PC retail sales: $1.05 billion (3%)
Total software: $649.5 million (1%)
Non-PC software: $621.3 million (3%)
Non-PC hardware: $295.6 million (6%)
Accessories: $135.9 million (-5%)

Software:

1. Battlefield 3 (360, PS3, PC)** Electronic Arts - almost 2 million
2. Batman: Arkham City (360, PS3)** Warner Bros. Interactive - 1.5 million
3. NBA 2K12 (360, PS3, PSP, Wii, PS2, PC) Take Two Interactive
4. Rage (360, PS3, PC) Bethesda Softworks - 550k
5. Just Dance 3 (Wii, 360) Ubisoft
6. Dark Souls (PS3, 360)** Namco Bandai Games
7. Madden NFL 12 (360, PS3, Wii, PS2, PSP)** Electronic Arts
8. Forza Motorsport 4 (360)** Microsoft
9. Gears of War 3 (360)** Microsoft
10. FIFA Soccer 12 (360, PS3, Wii, PSP, PS2, 3DS) Electronic Arts
11. Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure (not in order 3DS, Wii, 360, PS3, PC) Activision

**(includes CE, GOTY editions, bundles, etc. but not those bundled with hardware)

Hardware

360 - 393k (+14.9%)
3DS - >250k
WII - <250k (<+7.75%)
PS3 - 240k~250k (estimated from Microsoft, Nintendo and NPD PR) (-4.0% - 0.0%)
NDS - <180k (>-47.4%)

NPD said:
“Across hardware, software, and accessory new physical retail sales, the Xbox 360 platform showed dollar growth versus last October, as did the 3DS/DS platforms (when combined). Overall, the new physical retail channel saw a sales increase of $26 million over last October, driven primarily by the performance of new physical console software[...]

Based on historical seasonality trends, new physical retail sales of video game hardware, software and accessories should come in flat to down by as much as 2% once full year sales are in[..]

The Xbox 360 was the top-selling hardware platform for the month, realizing a unit sales increase of over 20% versus last October. The 3DS was the second best-selling hardware platform, with combined 3DS/DS sales up over 25% from last October.

On an average sales per week basis, October 2011 unit sales of 3DS, DS, PSP, Wii and Xbox 360 platforms all saw an increase over September 2011, which was a 5-week retail month (Oct'11 was a 4-week retail month)[...]

New software releases performed very well this month, seven of the top 10 titles were new October releases, and the top 10 titles sold 23 percent more units than did the top 10 last October[...]

Nintendo said:
NINTENDO 3DS POISED TO SURPASS FIRST-YEAR SALES OF NINTENDO DS

In its eighth month on the market, the Nintendo 3DS™ system crossed 1.65 million units sold in the U.S., according to the NPD Group, which tracks video game sales in the United States. This milestone puts the platform on track to surpass the first-year total of Nintendo DS™, the best-selling game platform in U.S. history.

The Nintendo DS system sold 2.37 million units in its first 12 months (November 2004-October 2005), with approximately 50 percent of those sales occurring in the holiday time frame. With its first holiday season and the launches of the Super Mario 3D Land™ and Mario Kart™ 7 games on the horizon, Nintendo 3DS is poised to eclipse that number and establish a new benchmark for hand-held gaming launches in the United States.

"With a massive lineup of software on the way and the first-year sales record of Nintendo DS in its sights, Nintendo 3DS enters its first holiday season with a full head of steam," said Scott Moffitt, Nintendo of America's executive vice president of Sales & Marketing.

Other Nintendo news from the month includes:
• Nintendo sold more than 675,000 combined hardware units in October. This includes more than 250,000 units of Nintendo 3DS, nearly 250,000 Wii™ systems and nearly 180,000 units of the Nintendo DS family of systems.

• For the year, Nintendo has sold a combined 7 million hardware units and more than 55 million units of software have been sold for Nintendo platforms. Both of these numbers should increase with the Nov. 20 launch of The Legend of Zelda™: Skyward Sword for Wii.

• Both Wii, up 8 percent year over year, and Nintendo DS, up 23 percent over the previous month, demonstrated strong momentum heading into their respective sixth and eighth holiday seasons. In total, the two platforms have sold more than 87 million combined hardware units and more than 540 million combined units of software in the United States.
Microsoft said:
Xbox 360 turned in the most successful October on record maintaining its lead in the current-generation console market. This holiday season, Xbox 360 delivers outstanding value as an all-in-one entertainment platform and is already off to a great start as a hot holiday gift.

October 2011 NPD highlights:
· Holding 44 percent share of the overall current-generation console market, Xbox 360 sold 393,000 units in October, maintaining the number-one console spot in the U.S. for 2011. This marks the eighth consecutive month Xbox 360 has had more than 40 percent of the current-generation console market share. (Source: NPD Group, October 2011)

· Xbox 360 unit sales grew 21% YOY in October, and it was the only current-generation console showing double digit growth. (Source: NPD Group, October 2011)

· Total retail spend on the Xbox 360 platform in October (hardware, software and accessories) reached $490 million, the most for any console in the U.S. (Source: NPD Group, October 2011)

· During the month of October, Xbox 360 held six of the top ten console game titles including: “Battlefield 3,” “Batman: Arkham City,” “NBA 2K12,” “Rage,” and Xbox 360 exclusives “Forza Motorsport 4” and “Gears of War 3.” (Source: NPD Group, October 2011)

Kinect momentum continues with a growing portfolio of more than 75 new Kinect for Xbox 360 titles in the market by holiday – four times more than last holiday. New titles include sequels to best sellers such as “Kinect Sports: Season Two” and “Dance Central 2.” New games like “Kinect Disneyland Adventures” are making Xbox 360 home to the best family friendly content available; more than 90 percent of Kinect titles are rated Everyone or Teen.

Xbox 360 also released some of the biggest excusive blockbuster games this holiday with titles like “Gears of War 3,” “Forza Motorsport 4” and “Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary.”

In addition to games, Microsoft is rolling out the next generation of TV entertainment on Xbox LIVE this holiday, bringing a breadth of content providers and innovative user experiences unmatched by any other games or entertainment devices to Xbox 360 . With nearly 40 world-leading TV and entertainment providers including Comcast, HBO GO, BBC, Bravo and Televisa, the platform is taking a major step toward realizing its vision to bring all the entertainment you want, shared with the people you care about, made easy.

With a robust holiday portfolio that has something for everyone, we are expecting another blockbuster holiday and finishing the year as the number one console worldwide.
Sony said:
"PlayStation 3 is primed for a great holiday season as this month's NPD report shows. We're seeing increased momentum in our 1st and 3rd-party software sales at retail, which are up 5% over last year, and we're demonstrating the industry's strongest software line up with blockbusters like UNCHARTED 3, Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One, Battlefield 3, and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3, and new Move titles Everybody Dance and Carnival Island. On the digital front, we are also pleased to report that inFAMOUS: Festival of Blood is the fastest selling PS3 digital game ever launched on PSN."
-- Patrick Seybold, Sr. Director of Corporate Communications at SCEA

jett

D-Member
I remember Arkham Asylum barely cracking 400k in its first month among all platforms, so that's a pretty impressive jump.

WOW at Forza above Gears 3. Did not expect that.

And yeah, Arkham City is fucking incredible. One of the biggest jumps in sales I've seen for a sequel.

TheOddOne

Xbox 360, Battlefield 3, Batman Drive October Sales to $1.08 Billion
NPD's October 2011 sales report has been released, revealing just a one percent increase in total sales year-over-year, as the industry generated $1.08 billion compared to last October's $1.07 billion. Software grew three percent, increasing from $604.8 million to $621.3 million. Hardware saw slightly more growth than software, rising six percent from $279.9 million to $295 million. Accessories was the only category to dip somewhat, falling five percent from $142.4 million to $135.9 million.

Xbox 360 and top software like EA's Battlefield 3 and Warner Bros.' Batman: Arkham City were the main sales drivers. “Across hardware, software, and accessory new physical retail sales, the Xbox 360 platform showed dollar growth versus last October, as did the 3DS/DS platforms (when combined). Overall, the new physical retail channel saw a sales increase of $26 million over last October, driven primarily by the performance of new physical console software,” said NPD analyst Anita Frazier.

“Based on historical seasonality trends, new physical retail sales of video game hardware, software and accessories should come in flat to down by as much as 2% once full year sales are in,” she added.

Regarding hardware specifically, Frazier commented: “The Xbox 360 was the top-selling hardware platform for the month, realizing a unit sales increase of over 20% versus last October. The 3DS was the second best-selling hardware platform, with combined 3DS/DS sales up over 25% from last October.”

“On an average sales per week basis, October 2011 unit sales of 3DS, DS, PSP, Wii and Xbox 360 platforms all saw an increase over September 2011, which was a 5-week retail month (Oct'11 was a 4-week retail month),” she added without mentioning PS3.

NPD noted that Battlefield 3 sold through "just under" 2 million units across platforms, but Frazier remarked that she "would expect that there were notable sales that occurred via digital downloading as well,” and NPD's figures don't include digital. The other hot seller, Batman, sold through 1.5 million units across Xbox 360 and PS3.

Of course, October is just the start of what's going to be a very tightly packed holiday shopping season for the games business. November should be huge. “Between Uncharted 3, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3, Elder Scrolls: Skyrim, and Zelda: Skyward Sword, I expect November to be a huge month for new physical retail sales,” Frazier said.
So PS3 is sub 250?

360 is beasting! (up 21% YoY) Wii is doing well (Also up YoY), 3DS is doing very well, DS is trucking along very nicely, PS3 is not doing so hot (slight YOY drop), RAGE didn't bomb! (first time I wrongly predicted a game's general sales performance all year!)

Right! I think that about covers it, I'm off to bed. Would some kind soul endevour to get Layton 4, Tetris Axis, Kinect Sports 2, Dance Central 2 and Kirby Return to Dreamland's NPD sales please? (Oh and Kirby Mass Attack's 2nd month would be great too!)

I hope to wake up to see these!

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Expected more for BF3. Great result anyhow.

Also happy to see Forza 4 chart even though it is probably quite low.

Have all 10 games ever been available for one platform before?

thuway

Console warriors and fanboys be damned, this is the first NPD I can get behind. Great numbers for all!

New consoles in 2012 wha?

jett said:
I remember Arkham Asylum barely cracking 400k in its first month among all platforms, so that's a pretty impressive jump.

Yeah, even though it was such a hyped game, it's crazy to see such a huge jump in sales. And that's not even including people waiting for day one on the PC.

goldenpp72

So rage isn't a flop like many implied?

Good, in fact this whole month looks good! Really hope to see some figures for dance central 2 and KS season 2 to see if kinect is actually dead.

360 gaining momentum for what it could be its strongest holiday season ever, very good numbers. Love to see Dark Souls in the charts as well as Arkham City, the latter wasn't a surprise, but the former charting is very welcome. Two games, coincidentally, that I have yet to pick up.

Ninja: Yeah forgot about RAGE, I was thinking it would underperform and yet it shows up at a very solid position.

Wow at batman sales, i can't believe it even came close to BF3. Also i'm really surprised that rage sold so well. Considering it's a new IP and probably sold quite a few digital copies that is very good.

BF3 was good as expected but will be crushed by MW3 next month.

360 HW jsut keeps on trucking without any price drops. 3DS also starting to look pretty good for the holiday season. I actually think it's a great sign that it has continued to sell this well without pretty much any big software.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Impressive 360 sales. 3DS hw sales are also good when you consider that there havent benn ANY significant software releases since Zelda OoT in June.

jett

D-Member
goldenpp72 said:
So rage isn't a flop like many implied?

Good, in fact this whole month looks good! Really hope to see some figures for dance central 2 and KS season 2 to see if kinect is actually dead.

Not a bomba but probably not the numbers id/bethesda were looking for after 7 years of development. Who knows if it's/will be profitable.

witness

Wow Rage sold surprisingly well, good for them. I want to know Forza's numbers. I do know it sells good over in Europe though and Forza 3 had long legs, so I expect this one to sell for quite sometime.

sony really need to sort out there ps3 advertising and brand in the US.

at least the EU and japan are keeping them in the game worldwide but if MS ever cracks Europe like they have cracked the american market then playstation is fucked.

jett said:
AA released at the end of the month and did right around 600K first month and another 400K the second month.

Impressive jump but not entirely unexpected considering the legs on the first game.

goldenpp72

jett said:
Not a bomba but probably not the numbers id/bethesda were looking for after 7 years of development. Who knows if it's/will be profitable.

500k in month one means that over time it should clear 1.5-2 million, I don't think it was in development for 7 years either, but it's still a brand new IP that had decent reviews, it's a good showing in my mind, you can't expect it to come out and beat games that have established histories like BF and batman.

Top Bottom