• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD: PlayStation 5 has highest launch month for a hardware platform in U.S. history.

From NPD:

November 2020 consumer spending across video game hardware, content and accessories reached a November record $7.0 billion, 35% higher when compared to a year ago.

YTD spending totaled $44.5 billion, 22% higher than the same time period in 2019.

Content

Call of Duty: Black Ops: Cold War was November's best-selling game, and instantly becomes the best-selling game of 2020 year-to-date. It also ranks first on both PlayStation and Xbox platforms for the month of November and YTD.
This is the 13th consecutive year a Call of Duty game has ranked as the best-selling game of its release month.

Assassin's Creed: Valhalla debuted as the 2nd best-selling game of November and is the 7th best-selling game year to date. Assassin's Creed: Valhalla achieved the highest launch month sales for an Assassin's Creed franchise title since Assassin's Creed III in 2012.

Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales was the 3rd best-selling game of November, while ranking 2nd on PlayStation platforms. Launch month sales were the second highest amongst superhero games on PlayStation platforms in U.S. history, trailing only Marvel's Spider-Man.

Just Dance 2021 debuted at number 13 on the November best-sellers chart. Launch month sales of Just Dance 2021 were the second highest in franchise history. Only Just Dance 3, launched in October 2011, experienced a larger launch.

SOFTWARE for the month:

wD2KBXr.jpg

Hardware

Consumers spent a November record $1.4 billion on new video game hardware, an increase of 58% versus YA. Growth was driven by the launches of the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series. Year-to-date hardware spending reached $4.0 billion, 34% higher than a year ago.

PlayStation 5 was November's best-selling hardware platform in consumer spending, while Nintendo Switch led the market in units sold.

PlayStation 5 achieved the highest launch month unit and dollar sales for a video game hardware platform in U.S. history. The records were previously held by the PlayStation 4, which debuted in November 2013.

Nintendo Switch has been the best-selling hardware platform in units sold for a record 24 consecutive months.

Accessories

Spending on accessories reached $314 million in November 2020, 8% higher when compared to a year ago. Year-to-date spending has increased 22% to a record $2.1 billion.

Sony's DualSense Wireless Controller White achieved the highest launch month unit and dollar sales for a gamepad in U.S. history.

Thanks to Mat Piscatella and Lelouch0612 for the break down !

Last edited:

LarknThe4th

My god The Switch, fucking hell 2 straight years!!

What a fantastic success

Great to see such healthy numbers, this may be the first generation ever where all three manufacturers are cooking!

This time next year could may well beat it, Halo, GOW 2 and the biggest sequel maybe ever in BOTW 2 might all hit in November, that's gonna generate ungodly amounts of cash!

Elios83

So about that MS PR about best Xbox launch ever without numbers......they did less than Xbox One in their main market and pretty much the same in their second market (UK).
PS5 broke records with actual receipts and it would be much higher with proper stock.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Switch sold somewhere between $260,000,000, and $390,000,000 worth of product based on NPD's estimate of 1.3 million sales.

Which means Sony sold somewhere between 520,000 (260m/500) and 975,000 (390m/400). (it's not either of these numbers, but something in the middle)

I'd keep in mind though that we don't know if NPD has any idea how many units Sony sold directly. These are all estimates, and they have been wildly wrong according to various industry sources in the past.

edit: That's all wrong.. all we know is that NPD is estimating under 1.3m in sales... and definitely > $260m in dollar sales.

So about that MS PR about best Xbox launch ever without numbers......they did less than Xbox One in their main market and pretty much the same in their second market (UK).
PS5 broke records with actual receipts and it would be much higher with proper stock.

They broke NPD's ESTIMATE records. Sony could have sold more than NPD thinks, or less.. same with XBox, and Switch.

They get a portion of retail sales, then estimate how many sales they are missing. That "what percentage of sales do our actual receipts represent?" is basically an educated guess.

An example (not real): NPD buys the actual sales data from Walmart and Walmart only.. let's say it's 100,000 units of Console Y with a 50/50 split between $400 model and $500 model. Then they estimate what percentage of units were allocated to Walmart compared to other companies.. they then assume Walmart's 50/50 split is being repeated elsewhere. So let's say they assume Walmart is 50% of the market. They estimate 200k units were sold, half $400 model and half $500 model.

Problem is if they estimate that second part wrong they can be way off. What if Walmart is actually only 25% of the market? Suddenly their estimate is only half of the reality.

They are obviously experts at this estimating, but they really don't "know" what was sold.

Last edited:
It was a very vague tweet . They could mean biggest in terms of number of territory they r launching in and not units sold.

ethomaz

Banned
PS5 is probably close to Switch numbers having the edge in revenue due the $499 model... the $399 model cost the same I believe.

And.

"The Series X|S debuted lower than XB1"

I called that months ago... with the MS marketing situation I couldn't see how they could sell more than XB1 in US.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
It a vague claim but it can be true due they having used 13 (XB1) vs 36 (Series) countries.

Last edited:
Would have definitely beat Switch for the month if not for supply issues.

XSS abd SXS doing worse than XB1 is just pitiful but that's what happens when you don't launch with any big first party exclusives. MS really needs to get their shit together.

PunishedPrince

Neo Member
Would have definitely beat Switch for the month if not for supply issues.

XSS abd SXS doing worse than XB1 is just pitiful but that's what happens when you don't launch with any big first party exclusives. MS really needs to get their shit together.

No that's what happens when you don't produce enough stock to match demand. Xbox is completely sold out right now.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I just picked up 2 more Dual Senses, kids have been begging for 3, 4 player Sack Boy. That will be fun, lol.

Dayum at Series numbers....Phil waited for AMD tech tho, so its cool. Nothing to see here.

Meanwhile I keep seeing PS5 stock updates damn near every week.

Ppl, please dont ever complain about Sony being so quiet ever again, okay? Thanks.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
This can't be true, because the PS4 sold 1 million consoles within the first 24 hours, and something like 1.5m+ consoles in November 2013.

Price different of $100; this report is about dollar sales not unit sales.

But it's also NPD's estimates.. their estimate is that Switch sold more than anyone else, with 1.3 million units. So all we know is they are claiming PS5 sold less than that.. and that PS5 won the "dollar" battle.

But again, I stress.. NPD can be wrong, very wrong. I'm just saying, according to NPD's statements, they are clearly estimating PS5 sold under 975,000 units. Their estimate is probably in the 700-800k range.

You know what? I think my math is wrong lol all we know is that NPD is estimating under 1.3m in sales... and definitely > $260m in dollar sales.

Last edited:

Astorian

Surprised MS shipped less than the XB1 in their biggest market but then again they did much in more markets this time.

Entroyp

I wonder if the XsX is more difficult to manufacture than we thought. Supply constraints are the only explanation to why it sold less than the Xbone.

LarknThe4th

I mean it's a story if Series X/S fall behind the One when it isn't completely sold out, I'd give that story another 4 or so months to see if there is anything in it

As for now well.... Microsoft sold everything they could make, hardly doom and gloom

bxrz

Xbox series did lower than x1 which did lower than x360 in NA. Thats called a downward trend. But what matters is how they do in feburary 2021 and on wards when they get the supply sorted out and demand falls from the holiday rush
They sold out everything they put up. They literally couldn't sell more so what are you talking about?

Last edited:
Top Bottom