• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • The Politics forum has been nuked. Please do not bring political discussion to the rest of the site, or you will be removed. Thanks.

NPD Sales Results for April 2010

Oct 3, 2005
3,093
0
0
44
Cant0na said:
:lol no chance.

next month will be Red dead, Alan Wake and Galaxy followed by pokemons
Lost Planet 2, UFC Undisputed 2010, New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Wii Sports Resort and Just Dance will also make an appearance.

To be honest, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Alan Wake miss the Top 10 next month.
 

DMeisterJ

Banned
May 15, 2008
24,639
0
0
Wilmington, DE
Hiltz said:
The lack of Monster Hunter Tri on the top charts is FAILURE despite being released on the 20th.

It will be unforgivable if it doesn't appear next month.


Wii owners, what the hell is wrong with you ?


Capcom's marketing of the game was simply massive.

Definitely not. Alan Wake, SMG2, Blur x2 Split secondx2 and RDRx2 are going to be competing to chart. Fat chance in hell.

Apparently SSFIV PS3 did 140k, so MH3 is under 140k for the month.

People have had 4 chances to buy MH3, I'm not sure why people were so sure that advertising would switch around the lack of popularity that it had in the west. I would think that Demon's Souls and Heavy Rain charting with no advertising in America would have proven how useless it is. Look at how much EA spent on Dante's Inferno Super Bowl ad and how it didn't do anything for the game (Game has only sold 1 mil to retail across all territories apparently). People set themselves up for this disappointment.
 
Sep 11, 2007
26,921
1
0
The-Warning said:
Why would you put an end to something that sold 65,000 units in a month?

Because it sold 65k less that the same month last year? because it's selling less and less every month?

It's obviously the PSP needs something, and software isn't what it needs....

PSP hardware sales are shitty, PSP software sales are shitty.Sony needs to change the strategy, needs a new handheld that could compete with DS and iPhone, who seems the main reason why PSP is losing a lot of the slice of the pie.
 

seady

Member
Oct 31, 2009
4,387
1
670
Hong Kong
With so many people playing Monster Hunter Tri, I just don't understand why it isn't in the top 10. Especially in such a low numbered month.
 

Diseased Yak

Member
Jun 17, 2005
4,033
6
1,485
Why are we calling for the demise of the PSP again? To me, the thing just keeps on trucking. It gets little to no advertisement, there's barely any games released for it now (seriously, this year we have, what, LittleBigPlanet and....?), and yet here it is selling 65k somehow.

Freakin' miracle if you ask me.
 
Oct 3, 2005
3,093
0
0
44
Giolon said:
Kotaku's got numbers for SSF4:
143,000 on PS3
108,000 on Xbox 360.

251,000 copies in 4 days is "poor performance" since when?
I'd say those numbers are pretty darn solid actually... especially given SSF4's lack of presence on the Top 20 Xbox LIVE charts.
 

FrankT

Member
Jan 18, 2007
18,470
2
1,420
B-Rad Lascelle said:
Lost Planet 2, UFC Undisputed 2010, New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Wii Sports Resort and Just Dance will also make an appearance.

To be honest, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Alan Wake miss the Top 10 next month.

I don't see LP2 doing anything really. I'm almost sure AW will be in there. UFC should do well I think. It will be RDR and SMG2 up in the top slots however. Still I think it's going to be a poor month HW wise.
 
Dec 3, 2006
37,576
0
1,260
Relaxed Muscle said:
Because it sold 65k less that the same month last year? because it's selling less and less every month?

It's obviously the PSP needs something, and software isn't what it needs....

PSP hardware sales are shitty, PSP software sales are shitty.Sony needs to change the strategy, needs a new handheld that could compete with DS and iPhone, who seems the main reason why PSP is losing a lot of the slice of the pie.

What's the rush?

3DS isn't out yet, Sony still has tons of PSPs available for sale; why kill the hardware? Just to kill it?
 

wizword

Banned
Oct 1, 2009
1,385
0
0
wizword said:
Red Steel 2 was and is going to sell like trash. It is a 3rd party game that requires an extra piece of hardware. It is 10 $ more expensive than every other wii game if you don't have wii sports resorts. It is a mature 3rd party title where games that are mature/cell shaded/ 3rd party usually don't sell well. In all honesty, how many people expected it to sell >100k first month. It would be difficult/impossible I would imagine for the game to get >200k in america. Monster Hunter 3 is the next absurd game that people are hoping to see on npd thread just to realize like red steel 2 and mad world will sell poorly. But I expect monster hunter 3 sales to be poor for other reasons as well.

evangd007 said:
I'll start cooking the crow.

I like my crow in a soup with potatoes, leaks, and shallots.
 

charlequin

Banned
Oct 19, 2005
26,635
1
1,405
jvm said:
Top 5 with units only now

NPD Guy: "Hey, we have a problem where people treat zgchartz as a legitimate source because we don't provide almost any numbers."
Other NPD Guy: "Let's chop out the numbers for 6-10. That'll show them!"

 
Oct 3, 2005
3,093
0
0
44
Jtyettis said:
I don't see LP2 doing anything really. I'm almost sure AW will be in there. UFC should do well I think. It will be RDR and SMG2 up in the top slots however. Still I think it's going to be a poor month HW wise.
Don't get me wrong, I think LP2's a piece of crap. But it's getting solid advertising, has the Gears tie-in and the entire month of May to move product. X360 SKU will get some sales love. It's not Bionic Commando.
 
Sep 11, 2007
26,921
1
0
DeaconKnowledge said:
What's the rush?

3DS isn't out yet, Sony still has tons of PSPs available for sale; why kill the hardware? Just to kill it?

Because the last thing Sony needs is get late to the party, if not a new hardware at least an appropaite revision that change significatly the actual PSP...
 

Celine

Member
Oct 4, 2009
12,720
296
1,155
Elios83 said:
I've already made my comment in the other thread.
Btw it was a slow month, PSP is dead (price cut and PSP 2 announcement at E3 IMO, ironically it's the best selling platform in Japan, never happened before I believe).
Saturn.
 

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Feb 11, 2007
21,699
1
0
nipponsalesage.blogspot.com
charlequin said:
NPD Guy: "Hey, we have a problem where people treat zgchartz as a legitimate source because we don't provide almost any numbers."
Other NPD Guy: "Let's chop out the numbers for 6-10. That'll show them!"



BRILLIANT!
 
Dec 3, 2006
37,576
0
1,260
Giolon said:
Kotaku's got numbers for SSF4:
143,000 on PS3
108,000 on Xbox 360.

251,000 copies in 4 days is "poor performance" since when?

Since the original sold FAR better in its debut month.

Capcom still thinks its 1994 and people are dying to get milked.
 

FrankT

Member
Jan 18, 2007
18,470
2
1,420
B-Rad Lascelle said:
Don't get me wrong, I think LP2's a piece of crap. But it's getting solid advertising, has the Gears tie-in and the entire month of May to move product. X360 SKU will get some sales love. It's not Bionic Commando.

Eh, I still think it's going to crap out and I loved the first one. Just too much to compete with this month. It might hit the top 10, but I still kind of doubt it.

charlequin said:
NPD Guy: "Hey, we have a problem where people treat zgchartz as a legitimate source because we don't provide almost any numbers."
Other NPD Guy: "Let's chop out the numbers for 6-10. That'll show them!"

Weird move is weird. I can understand holding the numbers but not the other part.
 

DeadGzuz

Banned
Oct 13, 2007
3,158
0
0
California
B-Rad Lascelle said:
Lost Planet 2, UFC Undisputed 2010, New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Wii Sports Resort and Just Dance will also make an appearance.

To be honest, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Alan Wake miss the Top 10 next month.

LP2 is bombing, it won't make the top ten. AW will be near the top five. RDR and SMG2 will be the top three unless I'm overlooking some dumb handheld game.
 

Cant0na

Banned
Feb 5, 2009
1,436
0
0
B-Rad Lascelle said:
Lost Planet 2, UFC Undisputed 2010, New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Wii Sports Resort and Just Dance will also make an appearance.

To be honest, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Alan Wake miss the Top 10 next month.

lost planet wont be in the top 5. that demo was terrible and turned alot of people off + terrible reviews

didnt know ufc was next month, that'll definitely be there. and Alanwake is not doing less than 100k dude. :lol it might not be the top game of the month but its top 3, or top 5 worst case scenario
 

Burai

shitonmychest57
Oct 19, 2006
6,705
0
1,245
Oxx said:
Obviously it could have placed a lot higher given the advertising blitz, but in terms of appeal to 'Wii owners' it's about as far away from the accessible, mainstream mega-sellers that define the platform as it is possible to be.

Puh-lease.

Wii fanboys have been absolutely deafening in their assertion that the key to third party hardcore game success on the Wii was to release mainline titles with big development budgets and blanket advertising.

Every single third party game that's bombed has been supposedly due to "retarded publishers that don't understand the market releasing half-assed, insulting games with no marketing".

MHTri's performance would suggest that perhaps the situation is far more hopeless than they'd dare admit.
 

Enk

makes good threads.
Mar 21, 2007
3,698
0
1,130
Memphis (aka Hell)
Lol at the people saying that SSFIV is a bomb. In no way is an expansion that sells about 200,000 considered a failure. They must've spent a ton of millions on it for it to be such.
 
Dec 3, 2006
37,576
0
1,260
Relaxed Muscle said:
Because the last thing Sony needs is get late to the party, if not a new hardware at least an appropaite revision that change significatly the actual PSP...


That's still no excuse to kill the PSP.

The PS3's 4 years old, and the PS2's still going. The only entity that thinks its dead is NPD apparently.
 
Nov 14, 2005
5,922
0
0
Jtyettis said:
Eh, I still think it's going to crap out and I loved the first one. Just too much to compete with this month. It might hit the top 10, but I still kind of doubt it.

It's a shooter available on 360 with decent marketing. Unless the bad word of mouth spreads rapidly, it has a month to make the top 10. The odds of it making the top 10 are pretty good.
 

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Feb 11, 2007
21,699
1
0
nipponsalesage.blogspot.com
Burai said:
MHTri's performance would suggest that perhaps the situation is far more hopeless than they'd dare admit.


Or Monster Hunter is a game with very very limited appeal to Western audiences. There is a reason Capcom's initial expectations were to ship 500K outside Japan*



*Again, we should wait for numbers before discussing this. It could have done 125K for all we know which would be pretty good given the history of the series.
 

Giolon

Member
Dec 5, 2008
8,002
20
1,095
Bay Area, CA
www.radiantcg.com
DeaconKnowledge said:
Since the original sold FAR better in its debut month.

Capcom still thinks its 1994 and people are dying to get milked.

Of course the original was going to sell better - it was the first new Street Fighter game in 10 years. For the amount of new content and features in Super, it's no worse milking than the map packs games like CoD and Halo put out (ODST says hi!).