• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for April 2014 [Up2: XB1/360 hardware, PS4 #1/XB1 #2 best selling]

Opiate

I think it's worthwhile to look at the market in segments.
I think those customers are still an integral part of the holistic video gaming market.
I don't think I would consider those customers to still be an integral part of the console market. So in that regard, I agree the market is certainly not as healthy as it was when that market was an integral part of it. That was an unprecedented boom time.
But I don't know if from that one necessarily infers that the market is unhealthy.

It's certainly notably less healthy than it was, which is the usual measuring stick. Again, the casual gamers aren't just a random sampling of customers; they're the highest margin customers. Losing them and keeping the lower margin customers is not ideal.

But I definitely agree that the market is going to die and collapse any time soon. This isn't doomsaying, it's just a forecast of notable contraction (unless, again, you exclude casuals as not counting).

I think the late-PS2 era "casuals" are not necessarily entirely synonymous with the Wii era "casuals" and it will take a while to see whether the former have vacated the space, as these consumers would normally form the later part of the adoption curve.

I think they are. Guitar Hero players and Eyetoy players were the beginning fringes of what became the Wii movement.

orochi91

Honestly, once cross-gen games come to an end, sales for current gen will pick up.
People will upgrade eventually.

The market will contract either way thanks to the anomaly that was the Wii.
That audience may not comeback.

I fully expect the PS4 to surpass the PS3 total, maybe even the PS1. PS2 is out
of the question due to the very existence of the Xbox. That console will take away
from the PS4 final total.

rjc571

Banned
Do we have any numbers for PS4 yet? I read a few pages and it looks like somewhere between 200-225k?

Also I see more comparisons to past Wii and PS2 sales...you can want the market to be dying a slow death all you want, it isn't happening. Everything is going to be ok.

Yep, even though development budgets are going through the roof and next gen hardware adoption is slower than expected, everything's going to be just fine!

Probably due to the 2000 I think. Stores for the most part were out of stock before the release.

i am going to assume no new stock came in for vita 1000 and that retailers were waiting for the new model. before anyone jumps on me i understand it ain't gonna do better numbers if there was stock but just not this horrible.

You eventually have to be a bit surprised retailers would even order additional stock at all, new model or otherwise.

B.O.O.M

bummer about vita...

oh well at least the software announcements for the thing hasn't gone down or anything :D So I am a ok for now

Razma1

Personally Vita stock was always an issue since release at Walmart. Very hard to get stock through orders and even the Sony rep couldn't help our market get them. Same issue with the PSP and to an extent PS3 over the last few years. Can't sell what you can't get in stock.

And both the 360 and PS3 have yet to reach the mass consumer price of $200. Expect more sales.

The 360 is available for $179 most of the time (4GB), and the PS3 (12GB) is available @ $199.

Still too much for systems that old, with that little memory. I could see both dropping to $149 or below @ E3. The 360, especially. I think $129 for either and both will start flying off shelves again.

BigDug13

This was the last month for the old more expensive and heavier Vita with lower battery life. A $200 updated version with BL2 and memory for May.

Yeah, I found it. Thanks!

Is this actually true?

I could see it being legit,but it is pretty hard to believe regardless. However, if it is true, then it is astounding. Truly shows what a let down the game was for TT on XB1.

So what is the consensus here? Was that a true statement?

Vita is dead dead, lower than psp + vita tv, check media create for reference.

Understandable, though the Vita hasn't been newly stocked since January (GameStop). A couple GS managers and a Sony store rep mentioned Sony had been trying to sell through the 1000's, prior to releasing the 2000 in May.

I expected dire numbers during this transition period. Hopefully, they'll pick up - at least better than they've been since.

StoopKid

Vita is dead dead, lower than psp + vita tv, check media create for reference.

115110_fd3f39819b3af91b5a7bdd04d7b74ea6.gif

No, it is due to the Vita being a Vita

True, but most stores sincerely didn't have stock of the old model. Even Amazon is no longer selling the older model directly.

I am not trying to say May is going to be a big month for Vita, but it will at least be back in the 5 digit range because nearly every store will have stock of the new system.

Edit: and by no means am I trying to spin 5 digit sales as a good thing.

Eusis

I wonder if there is absolutely nothing that could've made the Vita a relevant mass market device? IE waiting a bit longer for a more powerful, longer enduring system (I see something like Sonic 4 ep 2 on a Shield and do question if they launched way too early) or immediately getting in some good non-gaming apps (it took way too long for some of those streaming apps) or just being really cheap or... what. It's kind of a screwy time really, smartphones have been an insane disruptor.

EDIT: Although I forgot about the angle of Sony deliberately forcing stock to get flushed out. Hmm.

Road

Also had the 360 Core sku, which was lower price. That is what I got in April of 2006. It was not my best decision. Had to buy a hard drive anyways.

The average sales price of the Xbox 360 in April 2006 was $385, indicating 85% of sales were for the Premium; PS4 ASP is probably $400.

Anyway, consumers spent $114 million on 360 hardware in April 2006 while $80 million on PS4 hardware last month (assuming 200k).

--------

Also, some posts in this thread.

"115k is not bad considering PS3 Xbox One costs $599 $500"

"Just you wait until PS2 360 owners start migrating to the PS3 XBO."

You fanboys may think you're better than the other, but you're all one and the same.

Yeah, I found it. Thanks!

Is this actually true?

I could see it being legit,but it is pretty hard to believe regardless. However, if it is true, then it is astounding. Truly shows what a let down the game was for TT on XB1.

So what is the consensus here? Was that a true statement?

That can be looked at the another way where the software is only next gen (infamous, killzone, ryse, etc..) which titanfall is not.

Not sure buying it out sold X1 titanfall since it hit number 1 on the chart, and x1 has been the majority of sales by % from other reports, especially with Infamous not charting.

EDIT: Seems like it did outsell by 5K, but they didnt count bundles which was most likely a majority of X1 sales. So give another 55K to TF if you want to know units moved.

The 360 is available for $179 most of the time (4GB), and the PS3 (12GB) is available @ $199.

Still too much for systems that old, with that little memory. I could see both dropping to $149 or below @ E3. The 360, especially. I think $129 for either and both will start flying off shelves again.

I doubt it. There's been really good deals for both during the holidays these past couple of years. I don't think either are completely dead, but most people who want one got one by now. I don't think even a $99 tag would give 8 year old consoles more than a temporary bump.

Top Bottom