• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for April 2014 [Up2: XB1/360 hardware, PS4 #1/XB1 #2 best selling]

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
LEGO platform orderings are kinda interesting.

LEGO Hobbit: XBO, PS4, WIU
LEGO Movie: WIU, XBO, PS4
LEGO Marvel: PS4, WIU, XBO

Everyone's a winner.

Although the top one was at least partly influenced by the Wii U version releasing a whole two weeks later right? Still cool for all the platforms.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
April 2013:
Xbox 360: 130.2K
PS3: 100.7K
Wii: 42.2K
Wii U: 36.9K
Total: 310k

April 2014 is up 57%, so a total of 486.7k.

PS4: ~199k
XB1: 115k
360: 71k
Wii U: ~49k
PS3: 35k
Wii: ~17-18k

Total: 486k
So are Wii and 3DS the only two still uncertain or is Wii a lock?

Last April:

Wii - 42.2K
Wii U - 36.9K
360 - 130.2K
PS3 - 100.7K

HmMk0Bn.gif

ethomaz

Banned
Behold, VGC's fucked up methodology:

zqIOQUk.png

So when you see this:

p0uClkT.png

...That's how it is "calculated."
The US number are ridiculous... they show Xbone at 220k for the month... every month they do the same mistake in MS favor... that's why I leave the community.

BTW NPD in old days with all shared data was less fun... cream sugar made the NPD threads way more cool... you too... your post NPD discussions are the best.

Thank you.

jcm

I missed this whole thread. I guess the numbers are pretty solid now? If so, here's some comps.

Year Over Year
Code:
Console   2014    2013   %Change
XB1        115             
360         71     130      -45%
PS4        199             
PS3         35     102      -66%
WIU         49      38       29%
WII         18      42      -57%
3DS        106     113       -6%
NDS                 48      
PSV          3      20      -85%
PSP                  7     

Family                  
MSFT       186     130       43%
SONY       237     129       84%
NINT       173     241      -28%

HAND       109     188      -42%
CONSOLE    487     312       56%

Gen over Gen
Code:
Console   2014    2007   %Change
360                174     
PS2                194     
WII                360     
PS3                 82      
TOTAL      487     810      -40%

Handheld  2014    2008   %Change
NDS                415     
PSP                193     
Total      109     608      -82%
And here's the always exciting Powerhouse ™ 3DS vs PSP race:
Code:
        3DS 2014  PSP 2008  NDS 2008
January       97       230       251
February     153       243       587
March        159       297       698
April        106       193       415
May                    182       452
June                   337       783
July                   222       608
August                 253       518
September              238       537
October                193       491
November               421      1570
December              1020      3040
             515      3829      9950

LOCK

DKCR:TF

Retail: 120k+82k+36k = 238k (add 10k for digital LTD as of Feb.)

Edit:

Fits with Creamsugar's LTD's

Luigi U > 250k > DK (238k) > PIKMIN3 > 230K

Pain

Banned
I don't know why everyone points to watch dogs as this system seller. It is on like 5 platforms and was downgraded for those old platforms. Also the game is late and any hype it had is well dead. It might sell nice on the PS4 and Xbone but that will because of the extreme drought of software on those platforms.
It's the next biggest release of the year and it's got a record number of pre-orders. PS3/360 versions should flop hard. XB1 and PS4 should get boosts.

AniHawk

if may numbers aren't over 20k, i don't see how the vita ever reaches 2m in the us. right now it's on track to do worse than the sega saturn's 1997. or the super nintendo's 1998

if may numbers aren't over 20k, i don't see how the vita ever reaches 2m in the us. right now it's on track to do worse than the sega saturn's 1997. or the super nintendo's 1998

Do you feel that? The mere mention of Sega Saturn NPD makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

AniHawk

Do you feel that? The mere mention of Sega Saturn NPD makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

well at least the vita cleared the saturn's ltd. although i'm going to run with the assumption that the attach ratio isn't quite as swell as the saturn's 7.6. it may never sell as much software as the sega saturn did.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
March 2013 had some notable 3DS games.

There wasn't really much in March this year, whereas April was fairly barren both years.

That said, when our starting base is about 100K, each 1000 units makes up a percent, so swinging notable percentages really doesn't change the actual unit count much.

Target has a $99 2DS sale IIRC, so given the numbers are so low to begin with, that might help May's stability.

You don't think Kirby & Mario Golf could help the 3DS as well in May? Sure they technically were included for 2 days in this NPD, but their first full month of sales will be in May's NPD. April really only Disney's Magical World. Btw, do we have any #s for that game?

Also out of curiosity, was DKCTF the highest selling software for the Wii U in April? Or did Lego Hobbit/3D World (or something I haven't thought of) beat that somehow?

well at least the vita cleared the saturn's ltd. although i'm going to run with the assumption that the attach ratio isn't quite as swell as the saturn's 7.6. it may never sell as much software as the sega saturn did.

AFAIK vita attach rates including digital is over9. That's what makes it profitable despite terrible sales.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
You don't think Kirby & Mario Golf could help the 3DS as well in May? Sure they technically were included for 2 days in this NPD, but their first full month of sales will be in May's NPD. April really only Disney's Magical World. Btw, do we have any #s for that game?

Also out of curiosity, was DKCTF the highest selling software for the Wii U in April? Or did Lego Hobbit/3D World (or something I haven't thought of) beat that somehow?

If they have an effect I would expect it to have been split over the two months given when they came out.

I would think a $99 sale would be more attractive for driving hardware than two games that pretty much fit in with the existing content on a system this old as well, especially since they don't seem like things that would drive notable upgrade traffic from a regular 3DS to an XL.

Mory Dunz

When I watched a show online on Teen Nick (don't ask... >_>), the only commercials I saw were Yoshi's Island....and some Nick commercial. For the entire time.

It's almost as if advertising can influence sales, even for a mediocre game...
(Wish 101 got that treatment)

Super Nintendo (and to a lesser extent the Genesis) was the shit in 1998. Being able to find all the best games complete-in-box in the $20 and under bin at Toys R Us kicked ass.

Of course that happens at the end of every generation, but annualized franchises and prioritizing online play makes discount 360/PS3 games far less appealing than something like Castlevania IV.

donny2112

this would be incredible. any source for that? even the ds had an attach rate of 6.

There's the ever-present questions: retail available titles only? PS+ included? F2P included? etc., etc.

Don't know about the number, but without those questions answered, it makes any such number not as useful as it may seem. :/

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
If they have an effect I would expect it to have been split over the two months given when they came out.

I would think a $99 sale would be more attractive for driving hardware than two games that pretty much fit in with the existing content on a system this old as well, especially since they don't seem like things that would drive notable upgrade traffic from a regular 3DS to an XL.

I agree that the sale will likely do more (it's even advertised on the Wii U eShop front page, that's how I knew), but I was just saying there's a good chance May sales for the 3DS would be higher especially with those two games releasing + the Target sale.

Same thing happened for Lego Marvel for the Xbox One no? It was delayed 2 weeks or something like that too.
Wasn't that just because the Xbox One launched that day (11/22)?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
March 2013 had some notable 3DS games.

There wasn't really much in March this year, whereas April was fairly barren both years.

That said, when our starting base is about 100K, each 1000 units makes up a percent, so swinging notable percentages really doesn't change the actual unit count much.

Target has a $99 2DS sale IIRC, so given the numbers are so low to begin with, that might help May's stability.

The fact is that this is the smallest March - April drop for 3DS, after its launch

March 2012 - 225,000 ---> April 2012 - 125,000 / 130,000 (around 43-44% drop)
March 2013 - 230,000 ---> April 2013 - 113,000 (50% drop)
March 2014 - 159,000 ---> April 2014 - 106,000 (33% drop)

And it's almost on par with what it did last year. Given the usual March --> April drop, I was expecting more around 85,000 - 90,000. Maybe, then, pink 2DS had a little effect. I don't think MG and Kirby were the titles which influenced sales, since they've been counted just for 2 days and they had normal - I'd say - sales in those two days. Their (minimal) effect would be in May NPD sales....but, as said, minimal. Target sale will help sales more, definitely.

By the way, what were 3DS May 2013 sales? I remember a repeat of April 2013, but I could be wrong.

heidern

106K is pretty good for the 3DS. Perhaps it's because of the new releases adding an extra 20K or maybe Nintendo did more marketing activity? Or perhaps now that the next-gen console hype launch hype has died down 3DS gained more attention. If Nintendo can maintain this level then a price cut could potentially see the 3DS improve YOY. It's been 2.5 years without a price cut so one is due.

this would be incredible. any source for that? even the ds had an attach rate of 6.

I remember reading that somewhere in an old vita thread, gonna try to source it now.

EDIT: I was wrong. Attach rate is over 10

http://ap.ign.com/en/news/12155/indie-dev-vita-owners-are-serious-purchasers-of-games-

Sony has been vocal about Vita’s attach rate in the past – at E3 last year, it was noted that the average Vita gamer has purchased at least 10 games – and that attach rate, due to stagnant hardware numbers, is almost certainly much higher at this point in time, nearly a year later.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
106K is pretty good for the 3DS. Perhaps it's because of the new releases adding an extra 20K or maybe Nintendo did more marketing activity? Or perhaps now that the next-gen console hype launch hype has died down 3DS gained more attention. If Nintendo can maintain this level then a price cut could potentially see the 3DS improve YOY. It's been 2.5 years without a price cut so one is due.

While 106,000 is certainly much more than what I was expecting, I wouldn't call it "pretty good". Mediocre is a much better definition, sir.

It's true that a price cut would be needed. Heck, something like the Software Recommendation initiative, with monthly selections at the same price of a 3DS XL (...and I'd add 2DS in the mix) would be quite good AND a sort-of-a price cut.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
While 106,000 is certainly much more than what I was expecting, I wouldn't call it "pretty good". Mediocre is a much better definition, sir.

It's true that a price cut would be needed. Heck, something like the Software Recommendation initiative, with monthly selections at the same price of a 3DS XL (...and I'd add 2DS in the mix) would be quite good AND a sort-of-a price cut.

Agreed; however judging by Nintendo's guidance for FY15, a price cut is likely not going to happen. A revision in time for Smash 3DS is a strong possibility considering 12 million estimates.

Top Bottom