• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for April 2014 [Up2: XB1/360 hardware, PS4 #1/XB1 #2 best selling]

Vita software sales are no doubt pretty good (why would it otherwise get so many titles?), but not really Apples to Apples though. Does a 5$ PSP/PS1 game count as much as a full retail release?

Why not? Both platform holders and the game devs make a much larger % of the profits from digital PSN titles than they do from retail releases. At the end of the day, this just shows that although the vita install base is poor, their install base is one that buys a lot of games, and there is definitely an opportunity for devs to make money on the platform. This will keep new games coming(indie ones at least)

Ty4on

Why not? Both platform holders and the game devs make a much larger % of the profits from digital PSN titles than they do from retail releases. At the end of the day, this just shows that although the vita install base is poor, their install base is one that buys a lot of games, and there is definitely an opportunity for devs to make money on the platform. This will keep new games coming(indie ones at least)

Yeah, but even 15$ is less than the dev, publisher and console maker (on their own, latter only if it is 3. party) makes from one 60$ game.

Yeah, but even 15$ is less than the dev, publisher and console maker (on their own, latter only if it is 3. party) makes from one 60$ game.

But how much did that $60 dollar game cost to make? And how many sales does it need to break even? I bet that most indies selling 100k copies of their game @$15 would be ecstatic whereas a $60 dollar AAA release could bomb at 3 million sales.

sörine

Banned
The waters get even muddier since we're unsure if that 10:1 ratio includes stuff like "free" PS+ downloads, crossbuy downloads from PS3, f2p games, video apps, etc. Without some conext it's a pretty meaningless figure and not really comparable to the retail/dd 3DS tie ratio we get from Nintendo which doesn't include things entertainment apps, eShop exclusives, Virtual Console or DSiWare.

Road

And here's the always exciting Powerhouse ™ 3DS vs PSP race:
Code:
        3DS 2014  PSP 2008  NDS 2008
January       97       230       251
February     153       243       587
March        159       297       698
April        106       193       415
May                    182       452
June                   337       783
July                   222       608
August                 253       518
September              238       537
October                193       491
November               421      1570
December              1020      3040
             515      3829      9950

At this rate, 3DS will fall behind the PSP launch aligned before the holidays, when it might pull ahead again.

Code:
US NPD Hardware 38 Months Total

GBA	 21.940.000 
NDS	 17.550.000 
GBC	 17.010.000 
3DS	 12.050.000 
PSP	 11.450.000 

Rounded to nearest 10k.

Game Boy Color was on its deathbed at this point.

Ty4on

But how much did that $60 dollar game cost to make? And how many sales does it need to break even? I bet that most indies selling 100k copies of their game @$15 would be ecstatic whereas a $60 dollar AAA release could bomb at 3 million sales.

Sure, but for Sony it's not that great. My point is that they need a lot more games sold to be as profitable as Sega was with the tie in ratio for the Saturn.

I messed up my numbers. According to Pachter the retailer makes 12, the console maker also 12 and the rest to the publisher and then spread to the developers.
sörine;112264090 said:
The waters get even muddier since we're unsure if that 10:1 ratio includes stuff like "free" PS+ downloads, crossbuy downloads from PS3, f2p games, video apps, etc. Without some conext it's a pretty meaningless figure and not really comparable to the retail/dd 3DS tie ratio we get from Nintendo which doesn't include things entertainment apps, eShop exclusives, Virtual Console or DSiWare.
PS+ is a big money maker for Sony though :D

The more I look at those LTD numbers in the US, the more I get the impression that it's going to be very difficult for Xbone sales to catch PS4 sales within the next couple years in US (if at all). It's really not an insurmountable gap for MS (about 18% lead for PS4), but it's a hell of a lot tougher when you start seeing the sales numbers drop to the low hundreds of thousands like this month. Hypothetically, if you flipped the script and had Xbone outselling PS4 by 50K a month (very unlikely, but let's do a best-case shits and giggles), it would still take MS 10 months just to close the gap!

Factor in the revelation that there will probably be a lot less dual PS4/Xbone owners this gen because of multiple subscription fees, and MS is already in a really tough spot as it relates to their strongest market.

Even if let's say they close the gap and have 50% market share in the US, it's still a failure relative to the 360 which dominated the US.

Sure, but for Sony it's not that great. My point is that they need a lot more games sold to be as profitable as Sega was with the tie in ratio for the Saturn.

Sony is plenty happy if you buy cheap downloadable games. They get you once on the memory card needed to store the games, and then they get you again when you buy it. Assuming Sony follows the same system that Apple and android do on their digital market, they probably get a 30% cut off each digital sale. So about 5 bucks per $15 dollar game. Plus they don't have to spend money on making the actual carts, shipping them to stores, securing retail space, and all the other costs associated with physical hardware. Add on the ridiculous margins on the memory cards, and I'm sure they are as satisfied with the situation as they can be given the vita's low sales.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
The fact is that this is the smallest March - April drop for 3DS, after its launch

March 2012 - 225,000 ---> April 2012 - 125,000 / 130,000 (around 43-44% drop)
March 2013 - 230,000 ---> April 2013 - 113,000 (50% drop)
March 2014 - 159,000 ---> April 2014 - 106,000 (33% drop)

And it's almost on par with what it did last year. Given the usual March --> April drop, I was expecting more around 85,000 - 90,000. Maybe, then, pink 2DS had a little effect. I don't think MG and Kirby were the titles which influenced sales, since they've been counted just for 2 days and they had normal - I'd say - sales in those two days. Their (minimal) effect would be in May NPD sales....but, as said, minimal. Target sale will help sales more, definitely.

By the way, what were 3DS May 2013 sales? I remember a repeat of April 2013, but I could be wrong.

Yeah, it's definitely a sign that it's not heading straight to Vita/WiiU town, which given it's library makes sense that it could find a bottom well before then, especially since it's not super far into its lifespan.

May was: "3DS Note: NPD added that the 3DS was basically flat to last year, which was a 113.5K result. Presumably it was up slightly as it was over the Xbox 360's 114K."

While 106,000 is certainly much more than what I was expecting, I wouldn't call it "pretty good". Mediocre is a much better definition, sir.

It's true that a price cut would be needed. Heck, something like the Software Recommendation initiative, with monthly selections at the same price of a 3DS XL (...and I'd add 2DS in the mix) would be quite good AND a sort-of-a price cut.

At this point I'm not sure how much there is to do with the system, but yes I think anything that doesn't cost much money yet raises sales is good. Lowering software prices is an example of that.

I would also focus on raising the amount earned per user with more DLC a la Mario Golf, since at this point focusing on highly engaged consumers is a good way to build revenue without spending a ton of development resources that could better be used to set up for the next platform.

Personally, I wouldn't call watching a video game company struggle fun. This is my hobby, I want it to thrive. I don't want Sony or Microsoft to suffer because then I suffer.

haha, all you've been asking for in this thread is proof that Sony are struggling. Over and over, you and that bloody idiot Joe (PR) Incognito.

No, not really, a user in a Media Create thread actually said something like that, I was just teasing.

The horrendous grinding sound of a quick switch to reverse gear while everybody laughs at you.

'b bb bbbut it wasn't me who said that! only joking lol!'

donny2112

The fact is that this is the smallest March - April drop for 3DS, after its launch

March 2012 - 225,000 ---> April 2012 - 125,000 / 130,000 (around 43-44% drop)
March 2013 - 230,000 ---> April 2013 - 113,000 (50% drop)
March 2014 - 159,000 ---> April 2014 - 106,000 (33% drop)

2012: Easter April 8. First week of April NPD covered week before Easter.
2013: Easter March 31. All of Easter buying in March.
2014: Easter April 20. All of Easter buying in April.

There's been debate as to how much Easter has an impact on sales (2013 also had Pokemon 3DSXL and Luigi's Mansion in March, for example, but at least the Pokemon 3DSXL was probably targeted at potential Easter buyers; chicken vs. egg), but I think there's something to be said for Easter being so late in April, and the dropoff being relatively light this year for March->April 3DS.

I think 300,000 is a good cutoff to decide whether a game is a success or not. Who's with me?

Vibranium

Banned
I love the fact that LEGO Marvel outsold Amazing Spider-Man 2. The power of Lego appeal and TT is just too much for Beenox. When do you guys think Activision will put them into the CoD machine?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

There's been debate as to how much Easter has an impact on sales (2013 also had Pokemon 3DSXL and Luigi's Mansion in March, for example, but at least the Pokemon 3DSXL was probably targeted at potential Easter buyers; chicken vs. egg), but I think there's something to be said for Easter being so late in April, and the dropoff being relatively light this year for March->April 3DS.

I've actually searched for March-April datas for past years, and the drop-off has almost always (aside from a few exceptions) been 40% at least, if not higher, so it doesn't seem to rely that much on when Easter is. And that's another reason why I was expecting 85,000 - 90,000 3DS sold in April.

Vibranium

Banned
There was 7 Lego titles released in 2013

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Lego_video_games

I think you mean to say when will Activision put COD into the Lego machine? :p

Haha, perhaps. What I mean though in a serious way is that since Marvel is apparently looking into being more serious with their properties in videogames sometime in the future, I don't think Activision will have the Spidey license much longer after the third movie. Beenox will probably end up like Neversoft.

But yeah, the Lego franchise has so many games, quite a few great ones though.

Mice-Hitchhikers.jpg

But Sony is struggling, they had to sell their HQ to launch the PS4. Next up Kaz has to sell his Yacht to launch Morpheus!

I heard the budget for Morpheus was so small, they had to use one of Ken Kutaragi's old motorbike helmets (he'd left it in his locker when he cleared out) for an early prototype. Also, they were so cheap the Move was a light-up lollipop.

PS3 seems to have fallen off a cliff, funny how the oldest last gen console in the 360 has outlasted both PS3 and Wii.

While evidently true for NPD, I feel like PS3 is still outselling both WW.

I missed this whole thread. I guess the numbers are pretty solid now? If so, here's some comps.

Year Over Year
Code:
Console   2014    2013   %Change
XB1        115             
360         71     130      -45%
PS4        199             
PS3         35     102      -66%
WIU         49      38       29%
WII         18      42      -57%
3DS        106     113       -6%
NDS                 48      
PSV          3      20      -85%
PSP                  7     

Family                  
MSFT       186     130       43%
SONY       237     129       84%
NINT       173     241      -28%

HAND       109     188      -42%
CONSOLE    487     312       56%

Gen over Gen
Code:
Console   2014    2007   %Change
360                174     
PS2                194     
WII                360     
PS3                 82      
TOTAL      487     810      -40%

Handheld  2014    2008   %Change
NDS                415     
PSP                193     
Total      109     608      -82%
And here's the always exciting Powerhouse ™ 3DS vs PSP race:
Code:
        3DS 2014  PSP 2008  NDS 2008
January       97       230       251
February     153       243       587
March        159       297       698
April        106       193       415
May                    182       452
June                   337       783
July                   222       608
August                 253       518
September              238       537
October                193       491
November               421      1570
December              1020      3040
             515      3829      9950

lol powerhouse.

I wonder whats going through Nintendo's mind right now. The WiiU is selling atrociously, 3DS is facing significant declines and the handheld market in the West is declining at a big rate.

Do they keep the 3DS for a couple of years (its only 3 years old iirc) to get the software revenue but risk it becoming a deadweight in the later years and cause a negative effect on the successor or do they cut its life early and introduce a successor for 2015. With QoL also coming in 2015 I think they will do the latter.

Mpl90

At this point I'm not sure how much there is to do with the system, but yes I think anything that doesn't cost much money yet raises sales is good. Lowering software prices is an example of that.

I would also focus on raising the amount earned per user with more DLC a la Mario Golf, since at this point focusing on highly engaged consumers is a good way to build revenue without spending a ton of development resources that could better be used to set up for the next platform.

A price cut could boost sales a little. 3DS XL is still at 199.99, and it's one of the two main SKUs (the other is 2DS), it needs to be 169.99 now. Or to be 199.99, with the free game from the Monthly Selection included. Then, starting from October, include 2DS as well. ...Maybe with a separate Selection, more aimed towards children (like Lego City Undercover, Angry Birds), while the 3DS XL one could be more "core" (titles like RE: Revelations, MH3U, Kid Icarus, Fire Emblem being a part of that). I'm sure sales would be influenced positively. Nothing earth-shattering, but there would be an effect IMHO.

About the latter point...it's a good one, and I'm all for it. Especially if it allows games to be priced lower, like Mario Golf (29.99 instead of 39.99)

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Yeah, it's definitely a sign that it's not heading straight to Vita/WiiU town, which given it's library makes sense that it could find a bottom well before then, especially since it's not super far into its lifespan.

May was: "3DS Note: NPD added that the 3DS was basically flat to last year, which was a 113.5K result. Presumably it was up slightly as it was over the Xbox 360's 114K."

I think continuing the cultivate the eShop is a great thing as well. If we have more success stories like Gunman Clive, I could see mobile developers starting to make games for both iOS/Android and the eShop. The first two markets simply are larger, but the eShop has less competition to deal with and is frequented by a gaming focused audience.

Also, I still think there are some things to be done w/ the 3DS, although not major things. I think this is the time to explore and try new things w/ 3DS games, which I think Nintendo is doing. To me, the one big problem with the 3DS is that it doesn't have a lot of completely new ideas. It had very solid sequels to a bunch of regularly released DS franchises, but that's mostly it.

3DS Needs more Games like:
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon (did amazingly well =) - hadn't been around in over 10 years)
Kid Icarus Uprising
Smash 3DS (was never on a portable)
3D Land was a different take on Mario at least
RE: Revelations (mostly b/c the DS got nothing like this)
Bravely Default (basically a classic FF, but that was sorely missing on the 3DS)

on the eShop, Nintendo has been experimenting quite a bit, but I really don't think these types of games get much exposure outside of like Nintendo directs:
Sakura: Art of Samurai (name?)
Dillon's Rolling Western
HarmoKnight
Steel Diver SubWars
Rusty's Real Deal Baseball

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
A price cut could boost sales a little. 3DS XL is still at 199.99, and it's one of the two main SKUs (the other is 2DS), it needs to be 169.99 now. Or to be 199.99, with the free game from the Monthly Selection included. Then, starting from October, include 2DS as well. ...Maybe with a separate Selection, more aimed towards children (like Lego City Undercover, Angry Birds), while the 3DS XL one could be more "core" (titles like RE: Revelations, MH3U, Kid Icarus, Fire Emblem being a part of that). I'm sure sales would be influenced positively. Nothing earth-shattering, but there would be an effect IMHO.

About the latter point...it's a good one, and I'm all for it. Especially if it allows games to be priced lower, like Mario Golf (29.99 instead of 39.99)
Oh for sure. The main question in my mind at this point is "Is it worth it financially?"

Like do they envision themselves generating enough additional software sales for it to be worth $30 less per unit on the premium device, which is the one that likely attracts premium buyers more than budget buyers.

It would probably incentivize upgrade sales, but those are only useful if they actually make money on it, since it's not a 100% obvious increase to the amount of software being sold in the same way a new customer is.

I guess my main mindset is that this kind of stuff makes a bunch of sense in the front end of the generation when prices are pretty high, but once you have some pretty accessible options late-gen, it might make more sense to just focus on being a profitable company instead of driving an install base you might not be selling to for year on end.

I think continuing the cultivate the eShop is a great thing as well. If we have more success stories like Gunman Clive, I could see mobile developers starting to make games for both iOS/Android and the eShop. The first two markets simply are larger, but the eShop has less competition to deal with and is frequented by a gaming focused audience.

Also, I still think there are some things to be done w/ the 3DS, although not major things. I think this is the time to explore and try new things w/ 3DS games, which I think Nintendo is doing. To me, the one big problem with the 3DS is that it doesn't have a lot of completely new ideas. It had very solid sequels to a bunch of regularly released DS franchises, but that's mostly it.
I think the eShop also makes a lot of sense in that it prepares them for a digital future, which is one of their best bets to increase margin and deal with any shelf space issues if the market takes a turn for the worse.

Beyond that, yeah there are definitely still levers they can pull, but I think it's more about floating it as best they can without notable financial harm to themselves or to their future platforms.

Wouldn't you also have to worry about new sales of hardware to have lower attach rates somewhat by the enlarged and healthy used market on software, maybe even more so for something like the 3DS where software prices have always been a bit pricey?

I mean if your strong software already released then a lot of the attractive software for the platform is going to be very accessible in a used form for cheaper :\

Maybe I'm not thinking clearly on the matter though

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Wouldn't you also have to worry about new sales of hardware to have lower attach rates somewhat by the enlarged and healthy used market on software, maybe even more so for something like the 3DS where software prices have always been a bit pricey?

I mean if your strong software already released then a lot of the attractive software for the platform is going to be very accessible in a used form for cheaper :\

Maybe I'm not thinking clearly on the matter though

Yes, in the mid-to-late part of a generation, sales of general software tends to drop as people gravitate to the biggest hits since they aren't starved for content.

They just focus on buying what they really, really want immediately up front and buy all the cheap software otherwise (be it used or just lower price through things like greatest hits).

This is also why publishers tend to save new IPs for early in a generation, as they're not safe big hits, even if it is possible to launch one late-gen, simply because it's harder and there's a ton of money on the line.

AniHawk

i don't know how the 3ds gets beyond 17m in the west. or even how it reaches that. i have to imagine that it will be replaced in the next two years at the latest (march 2016 being the late release for the new handheld platform), with possibly something ready for next fall. the 3ds has received every major nintendo game at this point, and is in 'receive remakes and sequels only' mode right now. i mean if we see another zelda on the machine, it will probably be majora's mask. third parties are still making games for it in japan, meaning there are still things to localize and keep people interested in the west. it's not quite like the wii where nearly all japanese support by 2011 was from nintendo, leading to the long drought between january and the wii u.

Square2015

I think 300,000 is a good cutoff to decide whether a game is a success or not. Who's with me?

Yes! We don't hear much about the affects of Easter on sales but the spring slowdown seems to always happen around Easter, albeit right after Easter.

This Post-Easter drop off is similar to what we saw in '94. Genesis sales dropped hard month over month despite the recent releases of NBA Jam and Sonic 3.

I call the April over March drop the "Post-Easter slowdown", and historically price have occurred in May to "revive" post-Easter sales.

Mpl90

Oh for sure. The main question in my mind at this point is "Is it worth it financially?"

Like do they envision themselves generating enough additional software sales for it to be worth $30 less per unit on the premium device, which is the one that likely attracts premium buyers more than budget buyers.

It would probably incentivize upgrade sales, but those are only useful if they actually make money on it, since it's not a 100% obvious increase to the amount of software being sold in the same way a new customer is.

I guess my main mindset is that this kind of stuff makes a bunch of sense in the front end of the generation when prices are pretty high, but once you have some pretty accessible options late-gen, it might make more sense to just focus on being a profitable company instead of driving an install base you might not be selling to for year on end.

Well, I'm proposing such an idea because it's something that they're actually doing it...in Japan, best 3DS territory by far. And, for June selection, there's even a title that will be released right in June (Pokémon Art Academy), among older titles. So, they're already giving up on part of their hardware revenue in order to let stay hardware sales on a good level over there. Moreover, the Recommendation Selection concept is actually something that IMHO is perfect for consoles around the 3rd / 4th year in the market: the software selection is big enough to have titles eligible for the selection, titles with still sales potential and old enough to not have an excessive negative impact on revenue, there are late customers who would love to get a console with many titles for cheap and, above all, games for cheap. Especially if you have different SKUs of the console: in 3DS case, the initiative would start for 3DS XL, while 2DS price would still be 129.99, as entry price for children. Making the console interesting enough for sales to not fall off a cliff even in later years is also often said to be proactive to assure the successor to that console can benefit from a base momentum, given by the older console. It's true that I think such a thought is overstated sometimes (Wii after GC, 360 after Xbox...or PS3 after PS2 in the opposite sense i.e. there are many other factors influencing momentum), but it's also true that it shouldn't be underestimated too much, especially if the successor doesn't represent a revolution compared to the past, like the Wii.

Still, I think the Western counterpart wouldn't go as far as actually giving away yet-to-be-released games, like happening in Japan, that's for sure.

I think the eShop also makes a lot of sense in that it prepares them for a digital future, which is one of their best bets to increase margin and deal with any shelf space issues if the market takes a turn for the worse.

Beyond that, yeah there are definitely still levers they can pull, but I think it's more about floating it as best they can without notable financial harm to themselves or to their future platforms.

Considering how eShop revenue increased a lot last year again, I think they will continue investing there, so no need to worry on that front :D

Answers bolded.

i don't know how the 3ds gets beyond 17m in the west. or even how it reaches that. i have to imagine that it will be replaced in the next two years at the latest (march 2016 being the late release for the new handheld platform), with possibly something ready for next fall. the 3ds has received every major nintendo game at this point, and is in 'receive remakes and sequels only' mode right now. i mean if we see another zelda on the machine, it will probably be majora's mask. third parties are still making games for it in japan, meaning there are still things to localize and keep people interested in the west. it's not quite like the wii where nearly all japanese support by 2011 was from nintendo, leading to the long drought between january and the wii u.

I'm pretty sure 3DS is already at 17m in the west :p
(I know you meant the US)

Quick, find the sales of Wii / PS2 over that next 4-5 months to see if they'll cross paths with PS4.

PS2:

PS1:

4 months (one territory) - March 31st, 1995 - 0.85 million
10 months - September 30th, 1995 - 1.77 million
16 months - March 31st, 1996 - 4.26 million
22 months - September 30th, 1996 - 8.07 million
28 months - March 31st, 1997 - 13.50 million

PS2:

1 month (one territory) - March 31st, 2000 - 1.41 million
7 months (one territory) - September 30th, 2000 - 3.52 million
13 months - March 31st, 2001 - 10.61 million
19 months - September 30th, 2001 - 19.58 million
22 months - December 30th, 2001 - 24.99 million

PS3:

1 month - December 31st, 2006 - 1.7 million
4 months - March 31st, 2007 - 3.5 million
7 months - June 30th, 2007 - 4.2 million
10 months - September 30th, 2007 - 5.5 million
13 months - December 31st, 2007 - 10.4 million

PS4:

1 day - November 16th, 2013 - 1 million
2 weeks - December 1st, 2013 - 2.1 million
1 month - December 28th, 2013 - 4.2 million
3 months - February 8th, 2014 - 5.3 million

There's much celebration to be had at Sony HQ right now....PS4 is outpacing PS1, PS2, and PS3 at this time.

Wii:

Wii
06/07 - 5.84 million
07/08 - 18.61 million
08/09 - 25.95 million
09/10 - 20.53 million
10/11 - 15.08 million
11/12 - 9.84 million
12/13 - 3.98 million
13/14 - 1.2 million?

Total - around 101.5 million

I know Aqua has done a week by week sales of the Wii, but I couldn't find the specific post. There were holiday months where it was over 3M and 4M in its prime.

Mory Dunz

With the current strength of the Lego Franchise, I wonder if Lego Racers will ever get a sequel.

I don't play many lego games, but Lego Racers actually had you building what you wanted and then using it, as you made it.

The racing was meh (except warping, that was fun), but given how lego games are selling, why not do another racer?

EDIT:
Ah, apparently there was a sequel, in 2001.

....I highly doubt Japan was responsible for more than 3 million at most that year

You're correct.

Wii Shipments to Retailers
April 1st, 2008 - March 31st, 2009:

April 2008 - June 2008:

Japan: 530,000
North + South America: 2,500,000
Europe + Australia + Other: 2,150,000

April 2008 - September 2008:

Japan: 1,010,000
North + South America: 4,580,000
Europe + Australia + Other: 4,510,000

April 2008 - December 2008: