• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for April 2015 [Up1: Xbox One #1]

This still makes no sense, unless you have spare PSUs lying around your console will still be useless. Unless you are talking only about having to unplug your console from your tv and rest of your stuff.

Are the PSUs usually the first parts to fail and how often? Because in last ~15 years I have only had one or two die on me with my pc.

Anyway we are getting off topic and this isn't really a problem.

That depends. The worst (e.g. Hercules) can fail spectacularly at well below their advertised voltage, while the best (e.g. Seasonic) will have failure rates around 2-3% if not lower.

PSUs are one place where you usually do get what you pay for.

ascii42

That could explain some of it.

Putting in the stuff I know that leaves a 15k gap assuming last gen prices were steady. I didn't use handheld revenue as I have no idea what SKUs sold what and isn't familiar with the prices in the US.

I need to look over my 2014 numbers though. I wasn't aware of gamecrate in time :/

April last year was the month before the Vita 2000 release. Supply had dwindled down to next to nothing.

I hope they never get rid of the external power supply. That is one thing I hate about the PS4. Having an internal power supply. If there are any issues you need to send the entire console in.

That assumes you're going to have a fault with the power supply. I can't say I've ever had a power supply issue with any device I've ever owned.

Do Xbox power supplies fail regularly?

I don't see why you find his prediction of Witcher 3 selling more on PS4 so outlandish.

You're making up a story that doesn't exist.

I never said anything like this I said Amazon does not work for software (it doesn't) and that the user even implied that the game will "move" consoles for the PS4, and is strongly believing that the witcher will help give the PS4 a win as well. Mostly based on Amazon.

The rest of your post doesn't really do anything, and it is outlandish based on the terms he is using for the source he is using. Again this conversation has nothing to do with XB1, about a game also coming out on PC, even in retail.

Javin98

Banned
Are you still using Amazon for numbers?
Dude, I'm not as ignorant as that. Monthly charts sure, but even then I'm aware that it's not accurate to judge sales in a month, but could potentially tell the gap between the two consoles. When have you ever seen me using the hourly charts to obtain numbers. That's beyond foolish that I doubt even Patcher would do. I only use it to tell the trend of sales, not numbers. You're welcome to search in my post history.

Javin98

Banned
All you have to do is go back:

The only place were he is visibly getting his info from is Amazon hourly, everything else is irrelevant. This isn't the only time he has done this, looking through his posts you will see he uses amazon for software more than one time.

Amazon doesn't work like that, there may be other reasons why one may assume but using Amazon to construct your opinion is wrong since Amazon doesn't have numbers, Amazon is less than 10% of the market, and Amazon was wrong last month on hardware.
Wow, you're really trying too hard to get some victory over me, it seems. Might wanna improve your reading comprehension while you're at it. The Amazon hourly charts does not tell us how well software will sell, I'm well aware of that. However, it does tell us which version of the game is selling better, though we don't get raw numbers from it. Only an idiot would do that. And what I meant in my reply to RexNovis was that The Witcher 3 may push several PS4's but it is definitely not a system seller. I never mentioned the hourly charts, I only said Amazon. Get that over your thick skull. Just to clarify, this is my prediction. I don't treat it as a fact like some of the juniors who got banned.

Moneal

Witcher will sell more on ps4. I think xbox one will probably win May, by a very small margin, but ps4 will increase the gap going into October, with Batman bundle and MGS the gap might even be larger than last year.

Witcher will sell more on ps4. I think xbox one will probably win May, by a very small margin, but ps4 will increase the gap going into October, with Batman bundle and MGS the gap might even be larger than last year.

Everybody expected Sony to win April, so I would be careful here for May.
On the other hand, the part with Batman and MGS is a given.

Conduit

Banned
Why shouldn't they? It's the only big new game around at the moment.
Split between PS4 and Xbox will be interesting, though. Amazon hourly should not be relevant for this. Monthly a bit more. But the only ones I trust until NPD says otherwise are Abdiel and Co.

IIRC, Abdiel said before that there was more preorder ofr PS4 version.

Really surprised with this months turn out.

That Halo 5 advertising campaign must have played a part in it, I saw it everywhere throughout April. I saw it on the ads for Game of Thrones, The Walking Dead and I saw it before a few play before the Avengers AOU started.

Welfare

Really surprised with this months turn out.

That Halo 5 advertising campaign must have played a part in it, I saw it everywhere throughout April. I saw it on the ads for Game of Thrones, The Walking Dead and I saw it before a few play before the Avengers AOU started.

Well it is big.

The three separate announce trailers for “Halo 5: Guardians” have been viewed more than 217 million times total on television and online.

Other stats
Total listens have hit 2.15 million across iTunes and Soundcloud – and counting!
More than 250,000 fans have visited websites for the “Halo 5: Guardians” ARG.
To-date “Halo 5: Guardians” has been referenced nearly 960,000 times across social media since the start of the campaign.

Wow, you're really trying too hard to get some victory over me, it seems. Might wanna improve your reading comprehension while you're at it. The Amazon hourly charts does not tell us how well software will sell, I'm well aware of that. However, it does tell us which version of the game is selling better, though we don't get raw numbers from it. Only an idiot would do that. And what I meant in my reply to RexNovis was that The Witcher 3 may push several PS4's but it is definitely not a system seller. I never mentioned the hourly charts, I only said Amazon. Get that over your thick skull. Just to clarify, this is my prediction. I don't treat it as a fact like some of the juniors who got banned.

No one is trying to win anything (Cool down just a teeny bit), you basically said that you think the Witcher will "help" the PS4 (more than XB1) based on Amazon, and I'm only pointing out that it's not something you should do and doesn't make sense. Yes you did also say fewllow retailers, but you did use Amazon for a sales gap, which doesn't work.

Amazon is not reliable enough to even get a partially clear picture of sales numbers.

Now I believe the PC and possibly the PS4 versions will be the top 2 sku of the device, but by how much we won't know until May NPD. In terms of gap.

Hopefully all misunderstandings have been resolved.

RexNovis

Banned
Possibly because of a harsh reply to Death. He'll be back soon.

What harsh reply? I certainly hope he's back soon.

As per the exchange between Javin and Herman it seems to me that Herman just disagrees with Javin on the potential for Witcher to sell consoles. I too think it will sell the most on PS4 but I don't see it pushing any sort of hardware sales for the month. I expect a very low month for PS4.

Javin98

Banned
No one is trying to win anything (Cool down just a teeny bit), you basically said that you think the Witcher will "help" the PS4 (more than XB1) based on Amazon, and I'm only pointing out that it's not something you should do and doesn't make sense. Yes you did also say fewllow retailers, but you did use Amazon for a sales gap, which doesn't work.

Amazon is not reliable enough to even get a partially clear picture of sales numbers.

Now I believe the PC and possibly the PS4 versions will be the top 2 sku of the device, but by how much we won't know until May NPD. In terms of gap.

Hopefully all misunderstandings have been resolved.
I'm aware that it is not very accurate. #1 and #16 places could be a difference of only 10K and no one would realize that until the info is released. But when we have so little info to make predictions every month, every little bit counts. Of course I don't just predict the gap from the monthly charts alone. Which month of the year is also taken into consideration (gap is usually smaller in slow months). To clarify, I was simply predicting that The Witcher 3 might give the PS4 a win because it has been selling better on PS4 for weeks now. Now, the hourly charts are very inaccurate, but they do tell us the trend of purchases, which seems to favor the PS4 version. That's all I meant.

As per the exchange between Javin and Herman it seems to me that Herman just disagrees with Javin on the potential for Witcher to sell consoles. I too think it will sell the most on PS4 but I don't see it pushing any sort of hardware sales for the month. I expect a very low month for PS4.
Well, in the grand scheme of things, The Witcher 3 will definitely not increase hardware sales significantly.

Square2015

I was waiting to get this at the top of the page, oh well...

APRIL Historical Sales Report:
Chart extended another quarter and tidied up a bit.
*click to enlarge*
Q1490bb.png

Note: I'm going to write @ for LTD out of convenience.
When referencing the rank (#1) it's out of a SW chart of 50 best sellers.
MoM = month over month

APRIL 2015 - WiiU:

Mario Party 10 (#10) sells between 60k-70k @ 350k. WiiU goes another month with a much needed price drop...maybe at E3?

APRIL 2009 - Wii:

The Post-Easter slowdown. Wii sales almost fall in half from 600k to 340k MoM along with all next-gen systems. I have in my notes: "post-Easter slowdown worse this year due to the [Great] Recession". The US [and world] went into recession last year if memory serves, the stock market had crashed the previous fall...is this a factor in the slowing sales?

Wii Fit was No. 1 for the month reclaiming that spot having maintained it since last November (only ousted last month) to sell 471,000 this month and @ 7 million total, Wii Fit officially available one year now. 7m in a year, probably a record. Mario Kart (#3) sold 210,000 @ 5.9m total, Wii Play (#4) with 170,000 @ 10.6m total.

That's it for Wii in the top 20.

APRIL 2004 - Gamecube:

GC slows a bit for Spring and sells just under 100k this month (@7.3m), XB has 'dat surprise Easter price drop' from $179>149 and becomes the winner this month. XB sells 275,000 almost 100k more than PS2! The price drop ignites 2004 as XBOX's strongest selling year, and at times even giving PS2 a run for its money....This may have sealed the fate of the 'cube as the THIRD PLACE console, the gap between the GC and XB stands now at 1 million and will only grow from here on. Sorry Gahiggidy...

Pokémon Coliseum in its second month falls to #5 with 156,000 @ 500k. Harvest Moon falls to #33 @ 105k. Debuting at #39 is WarioWare Inc. with 35,000 and January's Sonic Heroes (#49) bottoms out the chart @ 365,000 LTD.

APRIL 1999 - Nintendo 64:

N64 sells 120,000 to PSX's 215,000 (@ 11.3m to 16.1m LTD, respectively). The comeback expected with Zelda 64 failed to narrow the gap between the two, we're still looking at Sony doubling N64 each month.

February's hit, Mario Party [1], remains the highest seller on the console (#4 for the month) @ 590,000 LTD. The Nintendo all-star scuffle: Super Smash Bros. (#5) debuts nicely selling 120,000, and that is its opening week! Expect SSB to be a hit if not a long seller, sales are already about a million in Japan! EA's Beetle Adventure Racing (#9) sells 60,000 @ 99,000.
Other notables: Acclaims' All-Star Baseball 2000 (#12) debuts with 56,000. Super Mario 64 (#20) breaks 4.5 million, Mario Kart 64 (#23) is nearing 3.5m. SM64 and MK64 are just staples in the charts staying within the top 30 throughout the life of the system.

APRIL 1994 - SUPER NES:

Likely in response to Sega's boom since the release of the Genesis 2 with Mortal Kombat last fall NoA begins bundling its hit titles to keep the SNES from continuing to get marginalized. Last month it was a Super Mario Kart "Super Set" this month a "control set" with Zelda, and next month we'll see a Star Fox super set. All in all the SNES sold 120,000 this month, NoA may have more effectively warded off the post-Easter crash than Sega did: The Genesis sales actually cut in half MoM selling 130,000 (to last month's 270,000). Congrats NIntendo? Or is Sega just taking a breather from all those TV ads?

Ken Griffey Jr.
(#4) in its second month sold 75,000 @ 120,000. Sega's World Series Baseball (#2) also in its second month ousted it with 93,000 @ 125,000...can you get any closer?? Last month's "Boomshakalaka" NBA Jam slam dunk, approaches 1.3m LTD in just two month! With this and Mortal Kombat, Acclaim is ON FIRE.
SUPER METROID (#4) debuts with 58,000. This gem will sell over the slow spring until the hits start picking back up like Street Fighter (Super!) this summer, Oh and another FX chip game, Stunt Race. This and the upcoming Virtua Racing, arcade-like 3D gaming is on its way!

I just noticed that the SNES and N64 are selling lock-in step with each other and the GC just below them. Similar patterns.

MAR '15: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=163487902&postcount=3799
XMAS '14: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=152533238&postcount=2394
SEP '14: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=134923372&postcount=5568
AUG '14: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=130360538&postcount=2855

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

Ken Griffey Jr.
(#4) in its second month sold 75,000 @ 120,000. Sega's World Series Baseball (#2) also in its second month ousted it with 93,000 @ 125,000...can you get any closer?? Last month's "Boomshakalaka" NBA Jam slam dunk, approaches 1.3m LTD in just two month! With this and Mortal Kombat, Acclaim is ON FIRE.
SUPER METROID (#4) debuts with 58,000. This gem will sell over the spring until the release of the next Street Fighter (Super!) this summer.

What a time to be a kid. NBA Jam, Ken Griffey Jr., World Series Baseball, and Super Metroid released around the same time. Amazing.

TomShoe

Banned
HAH! Wow. This pollution of sales threads must be getting to Zhuge more than I thought.

It's downright annoying to deal with, people coming in and spouting the same trash over and over again without taking the time to read through the actual analysis and think about why the NPD ended up this way, as well as how both companies need to react going forward.

"Sony lost! Drop the price ASAP Sony!

"The king has returned"

"Next month's NPD should be interesting"

"No games no games no games for holiday"

"Competition is good"

All of those statements make my blood boil because they're all untrue in one form or another. Deep down I know that as much as I complain, overreactive people are going to walk up in here and spout the same shit next month.

RexNovis

Banned
It's downright annoying to deal with, people coming in and spouting the same trash over and over again without taking the time to read through the actual analysis and think about why the NPD ended up this way, as well as how both companies need to react going forward.

"The king has returned"

"Competition is good"

All of those statements make my blood boil because they're all untrue in one form or another. Deep down I know that as much as I complain, overreactive people are going to walk up in here and spout the same shit next month.

Yep it's pretty much unavoidable. Although I will say this NPD results thread was a massive improvement over last month's which is odd considering the surprising results. Perhaps our reputation for rabidly refuting bullshit is paying off.

Yep it's pretty much unavoidable. Although I will say this NPD results thread was a massive improvement over last month's which is odd considering the surprising results. Perhaps our reputation for rabidly refuting bullshit is paying off.

I really hope we don't run into another wave of juniors who stubbornly spout a bunch of bs.

RexNovis

Banned
I really hope we don't run into another wave of juniors who stubbornly spout a bunch of bs.

Astroturfers hopefully learned these sales threads are dangerous waters last month with the mass bannings. I think we have established Sales GAF Clan aint nothin to fuck with.

RexNovis

Banned
On the topic of sales

What sort of console sku split are we expecting to see on Witcher 3 next NPD? Retail impressions seem to indicate a significant preference towards PS4 which aligns with the general trends of RPGs selling better there. I'd imagine it will be similar to the split we saw for MKX this month 58% PS4 42% XB1 but perhaps a smidge more in favor of PS4. 62% to 38% perhaps. Now that the game is out in the wild do we have any further indications of how it sold on each platform outside of the highly questionable/undependable Amazon rankings?

Conduit

Banned
On the topic of sales

What sort of console sku split are we expecting to see on Witcher 3 next NPD? Retail impressions seem to indicate a significant preference towards PS4 which aligns with the general trends of RPGs selling better there. I'd imagine it will be similar to the split we saw for MKX this month 58% PS4 42% XB1 but perhaps a smidge more in favor of PS4. 62% to 38% perhaps. Now that the game is out in the wild do we have any further indications of how it sold on each platform outside of the highly questionable/undependable Amazon rankings?

I expect 50% for PS4, 40% for Xbone. Rest is PC. I also expect the same split next week in UK.

Javin98

Banned

"The king has returned"

"Competition is good"

Hey, come on, what's wrong with being impatient for next month's results? :p
In all seriousness, I think the bolded statement is fine, but when used as a drive by post, then yeah, it's annoying.

On the topic of sales

I guess the best way to find out this information is to wait for insight from retail GAFfers, like Abdiel and Cornbread.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
They always lose me with all the Amazon talk...
Every Month. And you try and tell them and every thread ends the same way haha

haha yeh no kidding. It'd be funny if in actually just reporting on Amazon rankings since they're constantly checking whether something they ordered is coming and are just using NPD to pass the time xD.

It'd be fun to hear from Abdiel and others about Splatoon preorders. It's suddenly starting to do pretty well in certain Japan preorders and other reports are saying their 1st week shipment is already over Xenoblade's there (>100K) and that it could double. Then again, I do find Best Buy just generally doesn't seem to be the place folks go to for Wii U stuff... since the #s always seem absolutely dead there except when Mario Kart 8 released.

RexNovis

Banned
I expect 50% for PS4, 40% for Xbone. Rest is PC. I also expect the same split next week in UK.

So just between PS4 XB1 you think it will be 56:44 split? That seems close to me given what insiders have said about preorder splits.

I guess the best way to find out this information is to wait for insight from retail GAFfers, like Abdiel and Cornbread.

9defbc7ea3583914af9344bf04503c7d.jpg

My post was in hopes of drawing them out for comment on the matter.

Let's not start pretending software rankings on Amazon are reflective of the wider market.
Yeah, I know that. We know that.
"We use amazon to check the current trend", etc. Nothing more.
We don't need to hear that "not reflective of the wider market" stuff every time somebody mentions amazon monthly rankings.

On the topic of sales

55/45 split in favour of PS4.

The RPG crowd is bigger on PS4 but I think a lot of Xbone owners having played the series before will be buying this game in droves too.

The UK charts next week will definitely serve as a good barometer for how things should pan out but the PS4 will no doubt claim majority of sales.

Edit: Actually how well did The Witcher do on 360?
Must have released in the midst of shooter-mania?

Top Bottom