• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for April 2016 [Sony, MS, & Nintendo refuse to comment on hardware]

Ryng_tolu

Banned
The March results page is more interesting for predictions. Even Ryng bet against R&C

Others made the right prediction though

To be fair, It's more like about Quantum Break bombed than ReC success :p

But yeah, i was expect both in the ~200k range. All considering was close with ReC, while Quantum Break massive underperformance...

Fady K

I think NPD is just the second Thursday of the month. Maybe I'm wrong? Somebody please correct me if I am.

Ok well I forgive you then. Carry on.

<3

I hope we get used to the new style for character designs but I have faith that the team will deliver us a megaton of a finale

I have to stop myself from going down the rabbit hole of the NX threads. I actually feel bad for some of these posters. I don't want to call them delusional, so I'll just say some of them are banking on some very low probability scenarios. How does someone find themselves at a place where they believe the things being postulated in those threads. I want to hug some of them, tell them it'll be okay, but I imagine them looking at me with vacant eyes, looking past me into the distance, lost in the worlds they've created in their minds. I have to stop myself from going down the rabbit hole of the NX threads.

It makes me sad that Scalebound may bomb even harder than QB consider QB has more mainstream elements. If MS are smart, they should announce Scalebound for PC at E3, PC audience probably keep it alive than X1

Given what's going on with the UWP stuff and the comments on the Xbox being a W10 device, it would surprise me greatly to not see every Xbox One 1st party published game also on PC.

Further, people (not here, but generally) keep talking about being excited about Sony's conference, and not for MS', but I expect the MS conference to be far more interesting and entertaining from a potential future of the medium perspective. What madness will they put on stage this year? I'm really curious to see their bigger (or smaller?) plans.

RexNovis

Banned
I have to stop myself from going down the rabbit hole of the NX threads. I actually feel bad for some of these posters. I don't want to call them delusional, so I'll just say some of them are banking on some very low probability scenarios. How does someone find themselves at a place where they believe the things being postulated in those threads. I want to hug some of them, tell them it'll be okay, but I imagine them looking at me with vacant eyes, looking past me into the distance, lost in the worlds they've created in their minds. I have to stop myself from going down the rabbit hole of the NX threads.

In my mind they are like the Tigger to my Rabbit. You've always struck me as an Owl. They need an Eeyore. Let them find their Eeyore it's not your role to play.

Given what's going on with the UWP stuff and the comments on the Xbox being a W10 device, it would surprise me greatly to not see every Xbox One 1st party published game also on PC.

Further, people (not here, but generally) keep talking about being excited about Sony's conference, and not for MS', but I expect the MS conference to be far more interesting and entertaining from a potential future of the medium perspective. What madness will they put on stage this year? I'm really curious to see their bigger (or smaller?) plans.

I agree with you that MS's conference will be life interesting given the shifts they've been making lately. From the perspective of the unexpected they certainly have the most potential to surprise especially since I don't expect PS4k to be revealed until PGW. I think people are just a bit burnt out on their bread and butter IPs so to a a less informed gamer that hasn't been following their movements lately I could see how exciting would be muted.

When it comes to the software it's easy to see how people would be more interested in what Sony could have to show as many are beginning to get the impression Microsoft has already shown everything they have at this point.

But anyway, yes, I agree with you. It feels like the veil obscuring their intentions for the Xbox division will finally be lifted for all to see once and for all. I find myself far more interested in what MS has up their sleeve this E3 since I have no doubt it will cause quite the stir and a runaway circus is always fun to watch from afar.

Asd202

Do you know something about NX? Any retail perspective?

I mentioned being excited for MS' conference a while back. Not because I am interested in the X1 (the system and its software isn't my cup of tea) but I very much look forward to their general plans going forward. This is the first year where we have no clue what they have up their sleeves ever since the ntrknl leaks.

Rex, two things I try to avoid discussing on the Internet with people who care a lot: politics and Nintendo. For the same reasons. Can't discuss rationally with the irrational.

Do you know something about NX? Any retail perspective?

The Internet knows about as much as anyone does. All I know is that third party support may be stronger than people think yet not by any means universal, and that the industry forecast research firms have strong numbers in for HW sales in 2017 driven by rumors of units of hardware in the production ramp. Who knows though, everything seems to be rumor about that thing, even in the industry.

allan-bh

Yeah, I'm an idiot. Carry on.

EDIT: Also blew me away to learn PS4 and X1 are as close as they are. You'd think Xbox One was a massive distant 2nd but those numbers ain't so far apart to me. Mostly just wanted to share that little tidbit with you guys; don't wanna lose NPD access so I'm done. Have fun!

I was losing hope of knowing 3DS HW this month. Thanks for sharing.

RexNovis

Banned
Looks like MS is bailing on their mobile line. They are selling it off to a subsidiary of Foxconn for $350,000,000.

Microsoft Corp. on Wednesday announced it reached an agreement to sell the company’s entry-level feature phone assets to FIH Mobile Ltd., a subsidiary of Hon Hai/Foxconn Technology Group, and HMD Global, Oy for $350 million.

Microsoft will continue to develop Windows 10 Mobile and support Lumia phones such as the Lumia 650, Lumia 950 and Lumia 950 XL, and phones from OEM partners like Acer, Alcatel, HP, Trinity and VAIO.

As part of the deal, Microsoft will transfer substantially all of its feature phone assets, including brands, software and services, care network and other assets, customer contracts, and critical supply agreements.

This also includes the manufacturing dept in Hanoi Vietnam with ~4,500 employees.

Ok now I'm really confused I thought mobile and tablets were the main impetus for the whole UWP initiative. The wording in this release is difficult for me to parse. They are selling off their mobile division but will continue working on Win 10 mobile and Lumia? Isn't that a contradiction?

I love those dark queso posts.

I have to stop myself from going down the rabbit hole of the NX threads. I actually feel bad for some of these posters. I don't want to call them delusional, so I'll just say some of them are banking on some very low probability scenarios. How does syomeone find themselves at a place where they believe the things being postulated in those threads. I want to hug some of them, tell them it'll be okay, but I imagine them looking at me with vacant eyes, looking past me into the distance, lost in the worlds they've created in their minds. I have to stop myself from going down the rabbit hole of the NX threads.

I dont go into those threads either. So much delusion.

allan-bh

Ok now I'm really confused I thought mobile and tablets were the main impetus for the whole UWP initiative. The wording in this release is difficult for me to parse. They are selling off their mobile division but will continue working on Win 10 mobile and Lumia? Isn't that a contradiction?

MS is selling their feature phone business. They will remain manufacturing smartphones Lumia.

ps3ud0

Feature phones = non-smartphones

ps3ud0 8)

jryi

Senior Analyst, Fanboy Drivel Research Partners LLC

It's just the feature phones, i.e. the "non-smart" variety. Curious move, because the feature phones are where the volumes are, but on the other hand, MS tends to favor margin over volume. If it's not 40% EBIT, why bother...

Although, I'm not sure what it is exactly that they sold. Nokia still owns the patents (?) and the brand. (Interestingly enough, Nokia just announced partnership with HMD about starting to manufacture Android based smart phones.)

Veering a bit off topic, here, though.

allan-bh

It's just the feature phones, i.e. the "non-smart" variety. Curious move, because the feature phones are where the volumes are, but on the other hand, MS tends to favor margin over volume. If it's not 40% EBIT, why bother...

Although, I'm not sure what it is exactly that they sold. Nokia still owns the patents (?) and the brand. (Interestingly enough, Nokia just announced partnership with HMD about starting to manufacture Android based smart phones.)

MS has the rights to use the trademark Nokia for feature phones (I believe until 2024).

RexNovis

Banned
MS is selling their feature phone business. They will remain manufacturing smartphones Lumia.

Feature phones = non-smartphones

ps3ud0 8)

Ahhh ok that makes more sense. I'm not familiar with that term so "feature phones" sounded to me like it would be describing smart phones as they have lots of features. Whelp at least I know now. Thanks.

You can still compete without having to have proprietary hardware. Letting Win10 OS operate on non-MS mobile devices opens up their potential market in a big way, and pivots it to become a challenger as an OS, rather than as a piece of hardware onto itself. This is more reminiscent with how MS has traditionally operated, where as they just have an OS they sell & support. Its probably the smarter move for MS at this point.

e-gamer

Oh please! stop it with this nonsense. People were treating it as a massive longshot that R&C would outsell QB prior to this NPD because by all accounts it was a mroe appealing product thanks to being a part of a more popular genre and having significant marketing behind it. But I'm sure you know that already.

Sure. And priced at 39.90 helped A LOT with that!

cakely

So now we should expect QB to perform much better, right?

mzeOX.gif

Mory Dunz

I honestly can't tell which extreme side you're talking about. The ones who think it will compete with PS4K and get third party games galore for some unexplained reason, or the ones who have already written off an unannounced console as the worst thing ever that will kill Nintendo or go 3rd party.

I'll assume the first...though I think the latter outnumbers them after the Wii U.

Highly debatable.
Oh, I absolutely think it helped. 40$ is a great price and makes the buying decision much easier. It's a good price for a gift, too.

I'd call this simply a good idea. If some people want to construct foul play out of this... I don't get it.

Only thing is that, all details left aside, we don't know how much it would have sold full price and if these 30something% lost on rev/copy at 40$ compared to 60$ are balanced out/surpassed by the higher amount of sales thanks to lower price point.

I'd say yes. And I say it will recoup easily. And that's what matters.

It got creamed like Sanji :p

Hopefully Remedy doesn't come out to bad, but I wonder what QB did on PC even with the bad port.
Here you go I won't take this in the NPD thread! We're going to make a bet going one of these days so I can make you rock a sanji avatar.

I wonder if they do stay around will they partner with Microsoft yet again or go independent.. Or rather can they even go independent as they are?

CoG

I don't see Quantum Break burning up the charts at $40. Not even in the top 100 at Amazon. Microsoft needs to face the fact that they invested heavily in a game that was never destined to be a AAA system seller.

With the noted sales? Of course.
They just waited for may to drop the price, a masterfully executed win-win-strategy.
April was only to skim some early adopters and make bank without fully exploiting the potential userbase.
Now they unleash the beast and go for Nathan's throat.

Ray Down

Banned
Here you go I won't take this in the NPD thread! We're going to make a bet going one of these days so I can make you rock a sanji avatar.

I wonder if they do stay around will they partner with Microsoft yet again or go independent.. Or rather can they even go independent as they are?

I depends if Microsoft is willing to go for another shot, I imagine if they go it won't be anything like QB cinematic approach.

Do they own Alan Wake or does MS?

I just want spoilers already its been too long and we have only had one chapter in like a month

Sydle

I depends if Microsoft is willing to go for another shot, I imagine if they go it won't be anything like QB cinematic approach.

I just want spoilers already its been too long and we have only had one chapter in like a month

Remedy owns Alan Wake.

It got creamed like Sanji :p

Hopefully Remedy doesn't come out to bad, but I wonder what QB did on PC even with the bad port.
Sanji is always taking Ls. Zoro is the one.

I am quite interested in where Remedy goes from here. MS pays them to work on Alan Wake 2 or do they develop a new IP that goes multiplat? I doubt the latter but you never know.

Edit - Oh, Remedy owns Alan Wake? Hmmm

I actually don't know I believe Remedy does not sure tho. And I doubt remedy themselves will be trying that approach for awhile

Edit:damn not you too Drifting.. But we were buds we was on team R&C

Get ya ass to the thread

Top Bottom