• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for April 2016 [Sony, MS, & Nintendo refuse to comment on hardware]

Piggus

But it's a new IP. On Xbox One.

Clearly some of you had some ridiculous expectations. Number 7 seems fine to me. Also remembering the bundle.

If it turns out MS did win hardware, a lot of those may have been QB bundles.

You're saying number 7 seems fine to you without even knowing what the actual sales numbers are.

Investor: "What were physical retail sales for Quantum Break?"

Microsoft: "#7"

hesido

At least a couple of percent reduction could be attributed to PS Neo rumors.

Can someone dig out 2015 April NPD just to see what was released back then, to compare the changes in sales?

Chobel

Clearly some of you had some ridiculous expectations. Number 7 seems fine to me. Also remembering the bundle.

Being a new IP or not has nothing to do with selling "fine", it's all about budget and marketing.

Kouichi

I saw that edit

image.php

So? Other new IPs done extremely well this gen. And Xbox One has, what 40% of the marketshare in the US? AND it basically had all month.

How much did QB get marketed? Anyone know?

Jigorath

Banned
Quantum Break was a big budget, highly promoted game that was positioned as THE game to get for Xbox One in the first half of the year, until Gears of War 4 comes out.

It got bopped by a Ratchet and Clank remake that had pretty much no marketing until the day it came out and became a word of mouth hero.

It also got beat out by MLB 16 in it's second month.

yuraya

So when is the last time a Japanese game took #1 in NPD?

Also feel bad for Remedy. That game took forever to make and had that tv show. They are probably longs way from making profit on it. Another flop for MS.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
This might make Sony realize that there is a demand for these types of games in general. We might see Sly 5 after this.

I thought Sly 4 bombed.

I'd much rather have a new Jak and Daxter :/

Ondore

So if Pokken went #10 individual, I wonder if the streams crossed with Street Fighter V yet. (And what Star Fox Zero did in comparison to the first month of Pokken.)

Congratulations to From and Insomniac.

Why people saying QB bombed. It came in at 7 on a smaller install base as a new IP.

Seems fine to me.

A tentpole, expensive, released by itself as the major Microsoft release of the first half of the year, 5 years in the making TPS on the Xbox One game?

You serious?

Here's an example of why the info we have is sort of worthless. Both posts are technically factually correct and without proper context (which we don't seem to have) you can spin anything to sound however you want it to sound.

Elandyll

Banned

By the makers of Alan Wake and Max Payne.

With major Marketing push by MS.

Before the great reception of R&C (and the so so of QB) and the nice marketing push tie in with movie, nobody would have predicted that.

demigod

Quantum Break was a big budget, highly promoted game that was positioned as THE game to get for Xbox One in the first half of the year, until Gears of War 4 comes out.

It got bopped by a Ratchet and Clank remake that had pretty much no marketing until the day it came out and became a word of mouth hero.

Bopped, lol i like that word.

hawk2025

Finding other points of comparison for QB:

How did Until Dawn and The Order sell on their launch months, with at-the-time smaller install bases than the Xbox One has right now?

Here's an example of why the info we have is sort of worthless. Both posts are technically factually correct and without proper context (which we don't seem to have) you can spin anything to sound however you want it to sound.

Having a rough guideline of R&C's numbers and its ranking is more than enough to make relatively strong claims on QB, IMO. I doubt it reached 200k with digital included, and that's what I'm using as a benchmark for such a game.

Leonidas

Quantum Break's digital pre-order was a much better deal than the physical release. The digital pre-order came with the PC version for free.

Look closely who beat Quantum Break on it's (probably front-loaded) debut month:

MLB 16: The Show (PS4, PS3)
Tom Clancy’s The Division (PS4, Xbox One, PC)
Grand Theft Auto V (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3, PC)
Minecraft (Xbox One, 360, PS4, PS3)

That's not fine.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Wait--people thought Quantum Break was going to be a big seller? Why?

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood

It got bopped by a much cheaper (great) game in an established franchise on a larger install base that had a MOVIE release with it.

Come on now. Let's be realistic yeah?

Way to go! You guys truly earned that.
Side note, I watched Top Gun for the first time ever hammered as hell it ended with me yelling about WWIII starting

Yeah, after all the vehement hate I read and heard from folks all over the internet I was ready for it to be a spectacular bomb.

When I saw StarFox in there I was definitely expecting people to come in here to downplay its success. So far I haven't seen any in my skimming..

Kolx

MLB 16 outselling QB even tho its first couple of days were last month? Either MLB 16 did exceptionally well or...

Loris146

Finding other points of comparison for QB:

How did Until Dawn and The Order sell on their launch months, with at-the-time smaller install bases than the Xbox One has right now?

The Order did <200k IIRC. Until Dawn is not a good comparison in my opinion but anyway i don't recall how it did.

Looking forward to numbers but that position is poor for QB. It had all month to sell and was a heavily marketed, big budget AAA game. There's no excuse for a poor sales month for this title.

Plinko

I doubt it bombed. It certainly didn't explode.

I see Jak returning one day though. PS2 era games might return. I can feel it.

I am ALL for this. Bring back the 3D platformers, the colorful mascot-based games, etc. The market is still there.

Top Bottom