• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for August 2007

Tabris

Ether_Snake said:
If Sony has any brains left they'll try to at least cement their position in Japan (they can still take over the Wii, long term, with games like Monster Hunter 3, DMC, RE5, FFXIII, MGS4, etc.).

At the same time they would be behind the 360 in the US, but not TOO far off, and more than anything they would finally get the rest of the userbase moving to the PS3 rather than letting them sit on their PS2 only.

Yep, no one here can see the long term. Sony is in the position to start battling back and it started today in Japan. The line has been drawn!

felipeko said:
Anyway.. let me forget this Madden thing and enjoy my last 3 months on GAF...

On topic: Why did PS3 fail? :lol
you know, if you harping this ban ibid everypost and lay low off the madden talk, maybe, just maybe everyone will forget.us

Ranger X

WickedLaharl said:
yeah that'll turn things right around for sony :lol

This would move sales up instead of going down. It would be a good chance at least to start some snowball. I doubt Heavenly Sword or Rachet will do that.
They would need prologue free and they would feed their momentum with their fall releases after that.
But hey, Sony only wants to win in 10 years. lawl

Eteric Rice

Tabris said:
Yep, no one here can see the long term. Sony is in the position to start battling back and it started today in Japan. The line has been drawn! and the tide is turning.

Jesus Christ. :lol

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Tabris said:
Yep, no one here can see the long term. Sony is in the position to start battling back and it started today in Japan. The line has been drawn! and the tide is turning.
Don't use the same trick twice in a row, they'll catch on. Keep them on their toes, mix it up a bit.

Odysseus said:
right after apple sends rebates to those iphone owners, i imagine.

not that i expect ps3 to drop, mind you, but pissing off prior owners should be the least of sony's worries.

Isnt that exactly what Apple is doing?

_mo

This thread needs more animated gifs.

BeatDeadHorse.gif

th_zorvlen.gif

tumor.gif

5zdr9mgnb6.gif

1173726081552.gif

99106yeogo38fd.gif

ThisIsLiving.gif

52xbk9f.gif

babalityqt4.gif

tunak.gif

25.gif

cardancenin2.gif

63c4g80.gif

chuck.gif

zealousd-junenpddomination.gif

dancecossackdance.gif

16.gif

4mwjres.gif

7.gif

3NGX_1183065406_donvitololck7ll4.gif

3y5gplh.gif

2leggeddog.gif

4pvc0mc.gif

bishopjaws.gif

32.gif

852800593_cockpunchin.gif

TricycleFaceplant.gif

28.gif

i6383_10millionkoopa.gif

bikecrashkj3.gif

8.gif

Lobster said:
So just an estimate.

360 MADDEN NFL 08 896.6K
PS2 MADDEN NFL 08 643.6K
PS3 MADDEN NFL 08 336.2K
XBX MADDEN NFL 08 111.1K

Madden(360+xbox)>Madden(PS3+PS2) confirmed
?

Good for MSFT. Just no more Jeff Bell Madden demos though . . . please..

Odysseus

Banned
KeithFranklin said:
Isnt that exactly what Apple is doing?

i honestly have no clue.

look on the bright side, if sony did issue $100 checks to owners since july, it wouldn't be writing all that many checks.

Frillen

Tabris said:
Yep, no one here can see the long term. Sony is in the position to start battling back and it started today in Japan. The line has been drawn!

Started today? What are you talking about?

felipeko

Odysseus said:
does madden wii have legs and know how to use them?
I knew it would be lower.. But not that much.. But c'mon, it should at least outsell Strikers.
And i don't think Madden PS3 will even chart again.. 25% or so of attach rate is damn impressive!

rs7k

I don't think anyone will deny Sony has no chance to get out of third-place in the US. You could even make a case for worldwide.

The best they can hope for, and PS3-only gamers can hope for, is for sales to pick up so third parties will keep considering the PS3 an option.

A PS3 at $399 is not going to happen this holiday. Keep dreaming. I'll bet my account on it. Sony can't eat a $200 price cut like this without someone important getting fired and hitman'd. There's really not many more people buying it because it went down $100, and that's a lot of revenue Sony is leaving on the table.

Juice

Has it been another month already?

We need to find the Wii some competition.

Like Wii vs. monthly Toyota sales.

Or Wii vs. iPhone.

I'm getting pretty damn bored here.

Evlar

Banned
Anyway, my reason for bringing up Blue Dragon is it demonstrates Sony's ace in the hole. They can go to Japanese developers and say "Look. If you develop games exclusively for the 360 you're going to get shit sales in Japan, we all know that. That means you have to make up the lost Japanese sales by selling more in the Western markets. Sure Capcom had some early success but now that the market has become more competitive 360 can't do that for you. It's a bad gamble. But if you develop for PS3 you can get better Japanese sales which puts less pressure on you to perform spectacularly overseas."

That might sway some people to stay on the PS3 bandwagon, or at least continue multiplatform development. And it's those development dollars that are absolutely critical to the PS3 surviving to fight another day.

Odysseus said:
right after apple sends rebates to those iphone owners, i imagine.

not that i expect ps3 to drop, mind you, but pissing off prior owners should be the least of sony's worries.

No one is going to go out and sell and disavow a PS3 they bought at $499 just because Sony cut the price to $399. That's just silly. Every console has price drops, and everyone knows that.

Better a price cut then PS3 ending up the next Dreamcast.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
jonabbey said:
I think Sony's best hope at this point is to reinforce Blu-Ray by getting non-PS3 Blu-Ray players out at less than $300, get the PS3 down to $399, and maybe, I don't know, advertise the damn console. Try to get a really big stink going for Uncharted, Ratchet and Clank, UT3 and especially Little Big Planet, just as soon as they can.

I think Little Big Planet has more Wii-like potential than anything else Sony has ever shown on PS3, and they'll need to hit it hard.

But, honestly, with Lair getting the reviews it has, and Heavenly Sword being such a short, disappointing game from most reports, I don't know what the fuck Sony is about. They have to know that they will never have a more critical time for their game business than right fucking now.

Ratchet=No sales. It made sense on PS2, it was a cheap console, lots of kids had a PS2 and the game was quite appealing to a non-hardcore audience. Forget it on PS3, it will bomb. And again what is it with Sony making only non-online games as their flagship titles?! Another big mistake. They had Resistance and Motorstorm and THAT'S IT. Warhawk is multi-only, it's difficult to market so don't count on that one.

Heavenly Sword has good chances of selling well, but it's no system mover again and especially not with the issues it has.

Sony needs former PS2 Japanese brands to get the system out, something like GT5 or FFXIII, but none of that is coming out soon.

LBP is facing the same problem as Ratchet, except chances are it will do better. Still, you don't sell candy bars if the footstand has a giant lobster on it.

I think all of this will result in Sony cementing their position in Japan when the RE5/Monster Hunter 3/MGS4/etc. are released, because even if some of them are to be found on the 360 it's the PS3 ones that will sell and hence sell PS3s finally. But here it's not going to be easy for Sony, not by a long long shot.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Ether_Snake said:
That's like saying "Well there's no reason another studio can't beat Disney and Pixar, all they have to do is make Toy Story caliber movies and it's all set!".

They know quite well how difficult it is to make a game for a Nintendo platform if you're not Nintendo or a big name Japanese company. It's not even that easy for Nintendo to begin with, hence they always have to rely on the same names, mainly Zelda/Pokemon/Mario/Metroid/Star Fox.

You know it's true!:p

That is the thing, Nintendo games aren't any better than the rest of them. They make crappy games as much as they make good games.

The only difference between them an the 3rd parties are that they spend a lot of money on developing their games, and they market the hell of them. Any 3rd party publisher can make the next big thing that could easily eclipse Wii Sports, Smash Bros. Brawl, Metroid Prime 3, and Mario Galaxy. The problem is that when they put no effort, there is no chance to beat Nintendo at their own game.

If Rockstar were to make a GTA game with waggle that controls like a dream, runs better than the previous generation of consoles, and had a marketing budget of $40 million, do you honestly think it would be a huge failure? Nope, if it was marketed good enough, and was a compelling enough game it would outsell any of the Nintendo games in the USA quite easily.

traveler

Not Wario
Hcoregamer00 said:
That is the thing, Nintendo games aren't any better than the rest of them. They make crappy games as much as they make good games.

The only difference between them an the 3rd parties are that they spend a lot of money on developing their games, and they market the hell of them. Any 3rd party publisher can make the next big thing that could easily eclipse Wii Sports, Smash Bros. Brawl, Metroid Prime 3, and Mario Galaxy. The problem is that when they put no effort, there is no chance to beat Nintendo at their own game.

If Rockstar were to make a GTA game with waggle that controls like a dream, runs better than the previous generation of consoles, and had a marketing budget of $40 million, do you honestly think it would be a huge failure? Nope, if it was marketed good enough, and was a compelling enough game it would outsell any of the Nintendo games in the USA quite easily.

Do you really believe that? That you can just buy quality and that talent doesn't have anything to do with it?

Wow.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
schuelma said:
For days, I think those are pretty good numbers.

its not :(

Great to hear Z:TP pass 5 million though!
keep on truckin Z, you deserve the recognition

felipeko

The Sphinx said:
Anyway, my reason for bringing up Blue Dragon is it demonstrates Sony's ace in the hole. They can go to Japanese developers and say "Look. If you develop games exclusively for the 360 you're going to get shit sales in Japan, we all know that. That means you have to make up the lost Japanese sales by selling more in the Western markets. Sure Capcom had some early success but now that the market has become more competitive 360 can't do that for you. It's a bad gamble. But if you develop for PS3 you can get better Japanese sales which puts less pressure on you to perform spectacularly overseas."

That might sway some people to stay on the PS3 bandwagon, or at least continue multiplatform development. And it's those development dollars that are absolutely critical to the PS3 surviving to fight another day.
You're forgetting two small white things: Wii and DS.

Kasumi1970

my name is Ted
MightyHedgehog said:
Wow, I didn't think the PS3 would drop that low considering the big titles on the horizon and Madden in addition to just having a 'price cut' and it being the first of the holdiay season months. Lookin' grim for PS3, as usual. And I'm also surprised that X360 didn't breach the 300k barrier. Great Bioshock sales!

Well that is the problem the big titles are on the horizon, most people wait till the key titles are out. thier not much to move the PS3 currently, and alot of games you can get on a cheaper system.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
WHERE ARE MY DAMN CANADIAN NPD NUMBERS!!!!!

Seriously, Canadian NPD's are extremely underrated.

PS3 @ $399 will definitely move more units, but it won't put much if any distance between it and the 360 in the US.

If the PS3 has a $100 price cut next spring, then MS will do the exact same thing. Heck, it doesn't even have to be $100. If I was MS, this is what I would do.

Wait until GTAIV launch is a surety. Weeks before it hits, start blitzing all advertising avenues with GTA ads. At the end of these ads, show a graphic of the 360 on the screen with $199!! (or even $249!! w/ mem card, etc.). Make sure people know the price of entry into Liberty City can be as low as $199 (or $249) + game. How will this look to Joe GTA-Fan? He's going to look at the $399 price of PS3 and the much larger section of 360 games at Best Buy and walk out with a 360.

PS3 CAN turn it around, but $399 is NOT the magic bullet in the US that some of you seem to think. That would only work if there was no competition.

I agree totally. Only Nintendo has the faith to do so, even after nearly a year of record-breaking sales. That's no problem for Nintendo, but it's a problem for Wii owners who don't only want to play Nintendo games and shovelware from 3rd parties.

As a Wii owner, I do fear for its future library. Wii seems to be sold on the premise of games like Wii Sports and Wii Play alone... which is completely unfathomable to me, since I can't bear playing Wii Sports at all. Yet, I think that type of game will continue to drive Wii's success and I'm not too confident that 3rd parties will be developing many quality titles for Wii in the foreseeable future.
I hate to be a doomsayer, but is it so crazy to believe that new releases for Wii in 08 won't be much better than new releases for Wii in 07?

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Classic as usual. A few things:

Can we stop talking about Wii Madden bombing? Did anyone here honestly expect it to do well? Really....

Metroid had a huge showing if you ask me. 220+ in 4 days is great!

Bioshock game up huge also.

Wii Play is freaking amazing. Remote or not.

Everyone begging for a 399 for the PS3 are clearly delusional. The only thing that can cause a huge spike in PS3 sales is a 250 or under price tag and AAA titles. Unfortunately that isn't happening.

Prediction time......

Wii will outsell the PS3 and 360 combined this generation.

Again, you can take that to the bank.

schuelma

John Harker said:
its not :(

Great to hear Z:TP pass 5 million though!
keep on truckin Z, you deserve the recognition

Compared to the first two entries I think its doing well.

Oh wow at Bioshock, I saw that coming but that's gotta be some crow for a lot of you clowns.

Is MP3 a bomb or not? Did Strikers increase over the previous month? I would have hoped Metroid could beat second month Strikers by a bit more than that.

Evlar

Banned
felipeko said:
You're forgetting two small white things: Wii and DS.
I'm not disregarding the Wii. There's going to be a lot of Wii development regardless what happens. I'm assuming Japanese devs won't completely abandon HD. I admit of course that assumption might be flawed.

jonabbey

rs7k said:
I don't think anyone will deny Sony has no chance to get out of third-place in the US. You could even make a case for worldwide.

The best they can hope for, and PS3-only gamers can hope for, is for sales to pick up so third parties will keep considering the PS3 an option.

A PS3 at $399 is not going to happen this holiday. Keep dreaming. I'll bet my account on it. Sony can't eat a $200 price cut like this without someone important getting fired and hitman'd. There's really not many more people buying it because it went down $100, and that's a lot of revenue Sony is leaving on the table.

Sony can, and will. They have to. Although sales picked up when the 60 gig went to $499, you could have got a 20gig at launch for that. They have yet to reduce the price of entry at all.

Taking a 40gig unit out to market at $399 is only a $100 price drop compared to launch.

So, who do we have to talk to in order to make this bet? Are you staking a perma-ban on your account?

schuelma

Cooter said:
Can we stop talking about Wii Madden bombing? Did anyone here honestly expect it to do well? Really....

I agree it shouldn't have been expected to do great, but with its userbase to get outsold by the XBOX version is a disappointment, plain and simple.

The Sphinx said:

that sounds like saturn

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
traveler said:

Do you really believe that? That you can just buy quality and that talent doesn't have anything to do with it?

Wow.

Of course talent has a lot to do with it, don't put words in my mouth. The problem is that even the most talented person would make a crappy game if they were given a small budget to work with and 6 months to make a game.

It would look even worse if the game you were working on was a game for the PS2 that was ported to the Wii with tacked on Waggle.

felipeko

The Sphinx said:
I'm not disregarding the Wii. There's going to be a lot of Wii development regardless what happens. I'm assuming Japanese devs won't completely abandon HD. I admit of course that assumption might be flawed.
Oh, they wont... There's still money to be made, and they will do it. But most support is going to what sells the most.

schuelma

AdmiralViscen said:
Is MP3 a bomb or not? Did Strikers increase over the previous month? I would have hoped Metroid could beat second month Strikers by a bit more than that.

Not at all- MP3 was out for 4 days in this period. It actually did better than I thought it would.

icecream

Public Health Threat
The Sphinx said:
Not that I disagree with you (although such a strategy would only work with the larger development companies), but I don't think BD is the example to demonstrate this. There are different types of Japanese games, and some are going to appeal more to the West than others. Blue Dragon did not seem like one of them.

AdmiralViscen said:
Oh wow at Bioshock, I saw that coming but that's gotta be some crow for a lot of you clowns.

Nope 4 days. Its likely sold much more. Sept NPD should do some talking on whether MP3 is a bomb or not.

Top Bottom