• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for August 2009

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Data care of NPD Group

PlayStation 2 105.9K
PlayStation 3 210.0K
PSP 140.3K
Xbox 360 215.4K
Wii 277.4K
Nintendo DS 552.9K

MADDEN NFL 10 (360; Aug-09) 928,000
WII SPORTS RESORT W/ WII MOTION PLUS (WII; Jul-09) 754,000
MADDEN NFL 10 (PS3; Aug-09) 665,000
BATMAN: ARKHAM ASYLUM* (360; Aug-09) 303,000
BATMAN: ARKHAM ASYLUM* PS3; Aug-09) 290,000
MADDEN NFL 10 (PS2; Aug-09) 160,000
DISSIDIA: FINAL FANTASY (PSP; Aug-09) 130,000
WII FIT* (WII; May-08) 128,000
MARIO KART W/WHEEL (WII; Apr-08) 120,000
FOSSIL FIGHTERS (NDS; Aug-09) 92,000

(*includes CE, GOTY editions, bundles, etc. but not those bundled with hardware)

---------------------

Analysis from NPD's Anita Frazier:

Anita Frazier said:
The industry realized its sixth consecutive month-over-month decline, and while improved over the last several months, it's still a notable decline. The back four months of the year would have to be up 14% in aggregate for 2009 to come in flat in comparison to 2008 sales.

The price cuts implemented on the PS3 and 360 hardware already made an impact on unit sales, despite having been executed fairly late in the month. It will be interesting to see the full impact of the new price points on September sales.

All hardware systems with the exception of the PS2 realized an increase in unit sales over July. The PS3 captured the greatest increase month-over-month with unit sales boosted by 72% over July levels.

There is a lot of speculation about Wii and whether Nintendo will take a price cut as sales comps to last year show declines. I do think it's interesting to note that the Wii is still selling at levels comparable to what the PS2 was doing at about this point in its lifecycle.

As many predicted, Madden captured the top spot for the month, selling nearly 1.9 million units across its five SKU's.

With the introduction of Beatles: Rock Band and Guitar Hero 5 in September, a lot of folks have inquired about the performance of these titles and the music/dance genre. While sales of this genre are down 46% year-to-date, unit sales are down much less because lower prices are playing into the dollar sales decline. It's still the third best-selling genre for the year after General Action and Multiple/Other Sports (where Wii Fit resides).

The PS3 was the only platform to realize a year-over-year increase in total software sales and this is reflected in the top 10 list for the month which includes two PS3 games.

Accessories was the only category to experience an increase for the month of August over last year's sales. The uptick in hardware sales helps to spur sales of additional controllers and other peripherals which help consumers enjoy their new system(s).

The shift begins?

(between 360/PS3 that is, Wii is still a winner even if it is not leagues ahead anymore)

Handheld, DS continues to print money like there's no tommorow.

Oh, and an absolutely impressive showing for the PS2, that old sod just won't give up.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Here it goeeeees

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Madden sales look healthy to me.

And the PS3 definitely exceeded my expectations by like 50k.

[edit] Except the Wii version of Madden, LoL. Sub-90k? Ouch.

Darklord

Banned
PS3 will be higher than 360 next month, possibly even higher than the Wii which really isn't leaps and bounds ahead this month.

For those keeping score.

PS3 breaks 9 nine straight months of being down yoy with this npd.

Last year for comparison

Hardware Unit Sales

PlayStation 3 185.4K
PlayStation Portable 253.0K
Playstation 2 144.1K
Xbox 360 195.2K
Wii 453.0K
Nintendo DS 518.3K

Top 10 SKU's August 2008
(includes CE, GOTY editions, bundles, etc. but not those bundled with hardware)
Publisher Release Date Rank # Units

360 MADDEN NFL 09 ELECTRONIC ARTS Aug-08 1 1.0mm
PS3 MADDEN NFL 09 ELECTRONIC ARTS Aug-08 2 643K
PS2 MADDEN NFL 09 ELECTRONIC ARTS Aug-08 3 424.5K
WII WII FIT NINTENDO OF AMERICA May-08 4 394.9K
WII MARIO KART NINTENDO OF AMERICA Apr-08 5 328.7K
WII WII PLAY W/ REMOTE NINTENDO OF AMERICA Feb-07 6 200.2K
360 SOUL CALIBUR IV NAMCO BANDAI GAMES OF AMERICA Jul-08 7 174K
360 TOO HUMAN MICROSOFT Aug-08 8 168.2K
WII MADDEN NFL 09 ELECTRONIC ARTS Aug-08 9 115.8K
NDS GUITAR HERO: ON TOUR ACTIVISION BLIZZARD Jun-08 10 111.2K

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Looking forward to the first idiot who bashes the PS3's sales not realizing the launch window covered by the NPD. :D

Yes Boss!

Not too exciting. Wii slightly higher than I was thinking.

Nice that Fossil Fighter made the top ten. I'd like to see number eleven to know what it bumped.

Kard8p3

For only a short time Batman did great. It seems like both versions are doing great with the 360 version barely selling more than the PS3 version.

Narag

Stoney Mason said:
For those keeping score.

PS3 breaks 9 nine straight months of being down yoy with this npd.

Last year for comparison

Wow, wii fit and mario kart still in the top 10 a year later.

FrankT

360 MADDEN NFL 09 ELECTRONIC ARTS Aug-08 1 1.0mm
PS3 MADDEN NFL 09 ELECTRONIC ARTS Aug-08 2 643K
PS2 MADDEN NFL 09 ELECTRONIC ARTS Aug-08 3 424.5K

OldJadedGamer said:
My personal PS3 Slim model counted to the August number.

As I suspected. Most stores around me had slims in stock the full last week of August.

kassatsu

Banned
PSP game in top ten. I guess having everyone stuck on old versions of custom firmware is making it harder to pirate.

Evlar

Banned
Another bully month for NDS. God damn PS3 and 360 are close... and Wii continues to fall to earth, or at least a cruising altitude within visual range of the other two. Sony has to be happy about game sales numbers for Madden and Batman, too. Good month for them over all.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Was expecting MUCH lower PS3 sales considering the price cut rumors going on in August.

Top Bottom