• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for August 2013 [Up2: Tons of Nintendo Software]

NateDrake

NPD Representative:

"#NPD: Between the Disney Infinity launch and Skylanders accessories, 1 in every 3 accessories sold this month was an Interactive Gaming Toy"

https://twitter.com/amrie1206/status/378285436713447424

"#NPD: 3DS continued to outsell other hw platforms for the 4th month straight. Xbox 360 was top selling console for 32nd consecutive month"

https://twitter.com/amrie1206/status/378286999880232960

"#NPD: Video game retail sw sales had their first positive month, up 23%, since Nov '11, driven by the shift of Madden into Aug data month."

https://twitter.com/amrie1206/status/378287537980059648

So we know 3DS did at least 97k in Aug.

Vashetti

Banned
People clamouring for price cuts are right, but what we have to understand is that PS3 and 360 both require HDDs. They are a necessary cost that you can't just chop out or necessarily get a price reduction on.

It's a primary reason why those two consoles are still quite expensive compared to their previous-gen iterations.

Danny 117

So we're looking at around <294k for blacklist which was on 4 platforms..... damn thats not promising at all. What was Conviction's first month like?

(I suppose it only had a week and a bit of sales since it launched on August 20th)

EDIT: I see conviction did 486K but it had 20 days of sales... was MS exclusive too.. worrying.

DaBoss

People clamouring for price cuts are right, but what we have to understand is that PS3 and 360 both require HDDs. They are a necessary cost that you can't just chop out or necessarily get a price reduction on.

It's a primary reason why those two consoles are still quite expensive compared to their previous-gen iterations.

HDDs are REALLLLLLLLLLYYYYYYYYYYY cheap. They just don't want to put them in.

Concept17

A 250gb hdd should be plenty cheap. It's not reason enough to still have $200+ consoles right before a new gen, especially at 8 years old.

Busaiku

I just wonder if Wii U or Vita sold more this month.
There was Pikmin 3 and there was the pricecut, so it's hard to say either way.

I would guess Vita though.

sangreal

they sell a 360 without hdd. it's still $200

Both consoles now have skus without a hard drive.

Both should be under $150 by now.

Mory Dunz

I thought the U sells more in the US generally and the Vita sells more in Japan generally.
Or is that wrong...

NotLiquid

Price cut is due this month but it was announced rather late in the month so I don't think anything significant would bleed into this month.

People know new consoles are coming, why are people shocked sales are so low for consoles?

Hardware sales is not surprising given the imminent release of the new consoles.

In the August prior to the 360 launch, the PS2 sold 252k, the Xbox sold 136k, and the all-but-abandoned Gamecube sold 49k.

In the August a year later - 360 already out, and PS3 and Wii on the way - the PS2 sold 262k, the Gamecube sold 41k, and the Xbox had already been pulled from the market.

The next August - all 3 new systems already on sale - the PS2 sold 202k. And it did better than 96k in August for two more years.

96k is shit. This gen has gone on 2 years too long.

NPD analyst Liam Callahan:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/09/12/madden-nfl-25-saints-row-iv-top-us-sales-in-august

According to NPD analyst Liam Callahan, overall sales &#8220;grew a modest 1% over August 2012 as growth in software and accessories offset soft hardware sales as we near the launch of the Xbox One and PS4. Excluding January 2013, which was up due to an extra reporting week versus January 2012, the last time overall retail video game sales (hardware, software, and accessories) were up year over year was October 2011.&#8221;

Callahan added that &#8220;video game retail software sales had their first positive month, up 23 percent, since November 2011. This was driven by the shift of Madden into the August data month and other launches such as Saints Row IV, Disney Infinity and Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Blacklist. In fact, eight of the top ten games this month were launched in August.&#8221; He also noted that &#8220;collectively, August 2013 launches made up an astounding 58 percent of overall dollar sales for the month and 41 percent of units sales.&#8221;

Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 software specifically &#8220;combined to grow over 50 percent and are now only down only one percent year to date, which he called &#8220;remarkable&#8221; considering how close we are to the launch of PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. He added that PS3&#8217;s Tales of Xillia would have made the top 10 if individual SKUs were counted (in other words, if sales across platforms weren&#8217;t combined for the top 10).

In terms of hardware, Callahan said 3DS outsold other platforms for the 4th consecutive month, and Xbox 360 led hardware sales for the 32nd consecutive month.

Cess007

"#NPD: Video game retail sw sales had their first positive month, up 23%, since Nov '11, driven by the shift of Madden into Aug data month."

https://twitter.com/amrie1206/status/378287537980059648

"#NPD: Collectively, August 2013 launches made up an astounding 58% of overall dollar sales for the month and 41% of units sales."

https://twitter.com/amrie1206/status/378288009629532161

Seems like Software still sells but hardware is in free fall. It would be interesting to see the behavior of the market with the next-gen launches.

Dukey

Banned
It doesn't speak well for the Wii U that 7-year-old-console-fatigue is the excuse being given for poor hardware sales. One would assume the Wii U should be beasting now.

Hiltz

Yeah, it is a bit surprising to see Pikmin 3 make the top 10 , but I guess a few of the Wii U early adopters wanted to play something new. Too bad its actual sales will underwhelm and it will likely get booted off of the chart next NPD, but at least it will perform better than Wonderful 101. A lot is obviously riding on Wind Waker now.

Vashetti

Banned
Okay, so why are PS3 and 360 still so expensive then?

Surely they can't cost that much to make anymore?

I was convinced they would sell for years to come as budget consoles, but with these sales I am not so sure.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Xillia in the Individual top 10 is good for Namco...hopefully.

Bruno MB

Last August the best selling game of the month sold 247k units, this year the third best selling one has sold 294k.

Still waiting for Nintendo's press release.

Top Bottom