• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for August 2013 [Up2: Tons of Nintendo Software]

the vita isn't selling in japan because of indies. it's selling because of a particular type of software. the wii u will be able to make a home for family-oriented games and kid-friendly games beyond nintendo's stuff. we're already seeing it happen.

But you were talking about a Vita-style FAITHFUL audience. Consumers who buy family-oriented games typically aren't faithful to anything but Starbucks and Apple.

That Vita audience will be smaller, but they'll be more reliable and will stick around.

AniHawk

Does anyone have numbers on past Ubisoft WiiU games?

Be interesting to know total sales for Ubi games on WiiU.

zombiu - 145k
just dance - 130k
asscreed 3 - 65k
rabbids land - 25k

ubisoft won't abandon the wii u, but we won't be seeing asscreed or splinter cell, especially after they move on to the paywall twins. stuff like just dance and rayman will probably still see releases.

Miles X

zombiu - 145k
just dance - 130k
asscreed 3 - 65k
rabbids land - 25k

ubisoft won't abandon the wii u, but we won't be seeing asscreed or splinter cell, especially after they move on to the paywall twins. stuff like just dance and rayman will probably still see releases.

Thanks, not bad sales for JD given it's multi. Wonder how that userbase will transition in the long run (if at all)

I agree with you, I think if ACIV doesn't see a considerable uptick over 3, it's game over for core Ubi games on WiiU.

And I don't think we're going to get many more Rayman games for a while now anyway.

AniHawk

But you were talking about a Vita-style FAITHFUL audience. Consumers who buy family-oriented games typically aren't faithful to anything but Starbucks and Apple.

That Vita audience will be smaller, but they'll be more reliable and will stick around.

i'm not talking about people who are into whatever their friends are talking about. i'm talking about people who buy the 'e for everyone' types of games because that's what appeals to them the most. sometimes it's families, sometimes it's kids, but that's not always the case.

Do you have some insight as to what the budget for Pikmin 3 is?

Wasn't it supposed to be a Wii game originally? I'd guess 3 years at the shortest x 70 people at 80k per year that would be 16.8million. Not counting QA or other Nintendo overhead. Plus manufacturing and world wide marketing. Looking at 30 million at the cheapest. They may have made 12 million on it by now.

AniHawk

Wasn't it supposed to be a Wii game originally? I'd guess 3 years at the shortest x 70 people at 80k per year that would be 16.8million. Not counting QA or other Nintendo overhead. Plus manufacturing and world wide marketing. Looking at 30 million at the cheapest. They may have made 12 million on it by now.

you might want to lower your average salary a bit there.

And I don't think we're going to get many more Rayman games for a while now anyway.

:/

And I'm part of the problem since I'm waiting on the inevitable price drop, which we all know is coming soon, despite the fact that I loved the demo even more than I loved the first game.

It's just too close to GTA5 and the new consoles.

you might want to lower your average salary a bit there.

Including benefits and overhead, it's probably pretty accurate.

Miles X

:/

And I'm part of the problem since I'm waiting on the inevitable price drop, which we all know is coming soon, despite the fact that I loved the demo even more than I loved the first game.

It's just too close to GTA5 and the new consoles.

I'm waiting for a next gen port, if there isn't one then no buy, I'm done with these current systems!

Still I don't think you're part of the problem, I think this is typically a 'leggy' franchise that does ok in the long run.

Square2015

Wonderful 101 doesn't belong on a chart that' says "high-selling software."

And damn do I miss Blast Corps. God I adored that game!

That may end up being the case. We used to think it would be a hit...as we did Super Luigi U, wario U, MH whatever, I remove them when they dont become hits. I'll remove 101 next month.
Those (historical) titles on that list debuted roughly around 100k or more thus "hits" but less so for the older data.

Would it be possible to get FFIII, IV DS LTDs...?

So the answer is no, then.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Sales of fellow multiplatform game Lost Planet 3, which was recently delayed to August, are also expected to come in at 1.2 million units.

lol

iRCZIQD8IE7vm.gif

Even though nobody asked for Lost Planet 3, it pains me to see Capcom failing this hard.

So the answer is no, then.

Get this, the staff numbers are known. The average salary of a staff person can be averaged. The development time is known. Marketing and production is typically double the dev budget. Therefor the budget is reasonably easy to estimate. Three years is generously short too considering they confirmed they were working on it in 2008!

WiiU vs. Wii, GC, N64
Going with the 31k figure

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Embolden titles = first/2nd party

clicking should enlarge

Aug LTDs:
WiiU 1.25m
Wii 4.0m
GC 2.1m
N64 3.6m

Anyone thinking the WiiU or VIta has *ANY* chance in the US is out of their mind and need to step outside of gaf thread specific to those devices and their games.

There is no mindshare out there for these devices and going into the holidays, it's only going to get worse.

jmls1121

Banned
And LOL at 70 people working on Pikmin 3 for a sustained 3 years. It probably was a couple guys eating rice balls and coming up with concepts for half of that time.

AniHawk

Anyone thinking the WiiU or VIta has *ANY* chance in the US is out of their mind and need to step outside of gaf thread specific to those devices and their games.

There is no mindshare out there for these devices and going into the holidays, it's only going to get worse.

i think the wii u has a better shot at it. the vita's getting closer to what should be the prime of its life with no signs of improving, nor anything to help it do so.

donny2112

It probably would've been a handful of guys working around with concepts for like 7 years, and then a year or two of full-blown production with people who share their work across projects for the most part. Nintendo isn't typically siloed in their development for games.

overcast

I hate to bring this up here. We don't know the numbers, but it seems like it was a decent idea for Ubi to put Rayman out on all consoles.

It would have put up really lackluster numbers on WiiU.

Sakura

Get this, the staff numbers are known. The average salary of a staff person can be averaged. The development time is known. Marketing and production is typically double the dev budget. Therefor the budget is reasonably easy to estimate. Three years is generously short too considering they confirmed they were working on it in 2008!

You honestly think they had 70 people, for three years straight, working on nothing but Pikmin 3? I don't believe Pikmin 3 had a "typical" marketing campaign either.

DaBoss

I hate to bring this up here. We don't know the numbers, but it seems like it was a decent idea for Ubi to put Rayman out on all consoles.

It would have put up really lackluster numbers on WiiU.

Here is the funny thing, in the UK, it sold the most on the Wii U. The game bombed on every platform.

Selling worse than the gamecube is just crazy, it's amazing the "records" the WiiU is setting.

kswiston

wonder how many ps3s that GTA V bundle is gonna move next week.

I'd say a negligible number. People who were going to buy a PS3 this month anyhow will probably pick up the bundle (why not if you are interested in GTAV?), but I doubt base sales go up much more than 10%.

i think the wii u has a better shot at it. the vita's getting closer to what should be the prime of its life with no signs of improving, nor anything to help it do so.

chance at what though? Wii U i going to sell worse than the gamecube, ~900k behind in under a year and it's not going to push a million this nov+dec @ $300 so it's likely to be over a million behind by the time its a year old.

Mario Kart, Smash, Zelda etc have to sell better than their gamecube counterparts and bring in more new users to the system than those games just to sell as well as the gamecube did.

Will the WiiU end up with a higher ltd than vita in the US? yes.

Does it have any chance of being a relevant platform for anything other than Nintendo and kids games? no.

narton

Quick question, when it says

"Xbox 360: 96K (-50.3%) [Best Selling Console]"

Is that 50% down from last month, or last August?

antonz

chance at what though? Wii U i going to sell worse than the gamecube, ~900k behind in under a year and it's not going to push a million this nov+dec @ $300 so it's likely to be over a million behind by the time its a year old.

Mario Kart, Smash, Zelda etc have to sell better than their gamecube counterparts and bring in more new users to the system than those games just to sell as well as the gamecube did.

Does it have any chance of being a relevant platform for anything other than Nintendo and kids games? no.

I don't think you can even begin to make any definitive statements about how Nintendo will do this holiday season. The Only guarantees this holiday is PS4/Xbone will sale great out the door then who knows what the future holds.

Yeah that's exactly what I'm wondering. Everyone is pointing towards the next thing and brushing the current situation under the carpet. But few are drawing a line in the sand and saying this would be a good number for Nintendo.

Sakura

Yeah that's exactly what I'm wondering. Everyone is pointing towards the next thing and brushing the current situation under the carpet. But few are drawing a line in the sand and saying this would be a good number for Nintendo.

If Nintendo ends up making more than what they spent on the Wii U by selling 10 million or 20 million units + all the software, then I think that would be a good number. I don't expect the system to make some crazy turn around and sell 40 million units. But if it doesn't end up like the original Xbox where it made MS like, 0 money, then I don't think it is a big deal.

Anth0ny

WiiU vs. Wii, GC, N64
Going with the 31k figure

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Embolden titles = first/2nd party

clicking should enlarge

Aug LTDs:
WiiU 1.25m
Wii 4.0m
GC 2.1m
N64 3.6m

It's pretty pathetic that even with a price drop/new bundle and three "big" games dropping in September (Wind Waker HD, Wonderful 101, Rayman Legends), Wii U still won't surpass Gamecube sales next month.

I'd love to be wrong but I really don't see it happening.

well it's more similar to OoT 3D and that game did move units. turned the dying 3DS ship around

Handheld re-releases/remakes typically do much better than console re-rereleases/remakes. Probably due to the novelty of playing the desired game on a portable platform. Even the most amazing remake of all time (Resident Evil) didn't do crazy numbers compared to a new numbered entry in the series.

AniHawk

a chance at some sort of stable userbase for a generation. nintendo's conservatism drove them to this point, but it can also make the wii u profitable for them in the long run.

i think the disconnect here is that i'm not saying that even the gamecube is the floor for what a profitable console can be. but as crummy as the wii u is doing, i think nintendo has more options with it now than they ever did with the gamecube. when that machine wasn't selling great, it was doing so at $150 and $100 almost all its life.

that sounds about right. however i don't think xbox one or the ps4 will be a relevant platform for kids games. it looks like things will be a lot more separated next gen.

It's pretty pathetic that even with a price drop/new bundle and three "big" games dropping in September (Wind Waker HD, Wonderful 101, Rayman Legends), Wii U still won't surpass Gamecube sales next month.

I never imagined that the WiiU would be doing so badly that it would need to boost it's month-to-month sales six times over just to catch up to the Gamecube. Just unbelievable.

AniHawk

if it did, sales would have to increase twentyfold the week the tww hd bundle hits. from there, the wii u might as well be one of the most popular gaming platforms of all-time because even at half that amount, it would do about 350k in october.

part of me wonders if the ps4 and xbox one do sell well, if that will give everything else a bit of a boost as well. it seems the public doesn't really care about video game systems right now.

Not even that.

Even with a price drop, it probably won't even get above the GameCube's WORST month.

Top Bottom