• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for August 2013 [Up2: Tons of Nintendo Software]

You honestly think they had 70 people, for three years straight, working on nothing but Pikmin 3? I don't believe Pikmin 3 had a "typical" marketing campaign either.

Sure. Most games of that scale have 100 people working on them for the full period. Also most games have 50 people in QA alone working on them for 4-5 months prior to ship. The game would also have localization, legal, and brand managers as well as NOE, NOA, and NOJ corporate on it among others, over and above the dev team.

Look, when Nintendo does anything it is going to be expensive. It is a massive corporation and markets and distributes products worldwide. 12 to 15 million for production and marketing would be cheap for them.

a chance at some sort of stable userbase for a generation. nintendo's conservatism drove them to this point, but it can also make the wii u profitable for them in the long run.

i think the disconnect here is that i'm not saying that even the gamecube is the floor for what a profitable console can be. but as crummy as the wii u is doing, i think nintendo has more options with it now than they ever did with the gamecube. when that machine wasn't selling great, it was doing so at $150 and $100 almost all its life.

that sounds about right. however i don't think xbox one or the ps4 will be a relevant platform for kids games. it looks like things will be a lot more separated next gen.

Well I think the vita can also achieve a stable user base even if it is low, that is like the lowest bar you could have set for the wiiu.

They can't get the price down to gamecube levels though, probably not ever unless they dump the controller screen completely. I guess removing your attempted usp is an extra option over the gamecube but I don't see them making that move and if they do it will be a long time from now.

Xbox 360 became a kids console just fine at the end half of its life, i don't see anything stopping ps4/xb1making that transition

wonder how many ps3s that GTA V bundle is gonna move next week.

We're past the point of system selling software for the HD twins. Only people left are value shoppers, and MS/Sony haven't budged on prices in ages.

The 12GB PS3 is a nice gesture but basically worthless if you pick up even 3 games with mandatory installs.

kswiston

So based on what we know, Minecraft probably sold somewhere in the region of 200k again this month. I expect a massive December for that game. Like 500k-1M units. $20 is basically the perfect stocking stuffer price.

Lumyst

Iwata was right, with Pikmin 3 the Wii U is really gaining momentum again.

The energy is going into heat and vibrating the particles. As more games are released, then we'll get some translational movement.

edit: As for the Xbox taking some of the kid's market from Nintendo's console, I have heard it said that Minecraft is a big deal among children now. Xbox One and PS4 are going to have that game. Perhaps the allure of seeing their creations on the big screen TV rendered on powerful hardware will get kids excited for those consoles. (Or maybe Minecraft will fizzle out or the price of those consoles is too high? I really have no personal experience with how Minecraft is doing among children.)

AniHawk

Well I think the vita can also achieve a stable user base even if it is low, that is like the lowest bar you could have set for the wiiu.

They can't get the price down to gamecube levels though, probably not ever unless they dump the controller screen completely. I guess removing your attempted usp is an extra option over the gamecube but I don't see them making that move and if they do it will be a long time from now.

what we've seen with the 2ds, worldwide release of pokemon, insane price cut of the 3ds, dropping the price of the wii u and bundling it with an unreleased remake, shoving 3d land and mario kart 7 out the door, and greenlighting nsmb2, is that nintendo is very in tune with options to make their hardware sell.

i feel that the ten months from launch to pikmin were an acknowledgment that there wasn't going to be an upside, maybe for a long time. iwata admitted as much in the end of his fiscal year investors meeting. knowing that, i think they have to be considering the idea of dropping the gamepad in a way. just enough that they can get the wii u to a much more affordable price, and make the gamepad the wii fit board of the wii u. this is very likely a last resort, but i can't help but think it's been something on the table.

Xbox 360 became a kids console just fine at the end half of its life, i don't see anything stopping ps4/xb1making that transition

i don't see anything helping them making that transition either. maybe skylanders a bit. not knack. never knack. but seriously, the biggest obstacle is the price. a $170 handheld wasn't doing it. i don't think a $500 or even $400 console will do it.

R-User!

Over 100 awards? How many damn different awards can there be for a launch group of games? Are these awards B.S. awards mostly? I never hear much that I can recall here on GAF about awards meaning very much at E3. Game "Journalists" hand these out, no?

Pooya

RIP Splinter Cell... this was actually a good game, after 7 years at last. Ubi did their best to kill the brand didn't help.

Fire Emblem LTD is impressive.

a chance at some sort of stable userbase for a generation. nintendo's conservatism drove them to this point, but it can also make the wii u profitable for them in the long run.

i think the disconnect here is that i'm not saying that even the gamecube is the floor for what a profitable console can be. but as crummy as the wii u is doing, i think nintendo has more options with it now than they ever did with the gamecube. when that machine wasn't selling great, it was doing so at $150 and $100 almost all its life.

that sounds about right. however i don't think xbox one or the ps4 will be a relevant platform for kids games. it looks like things will be a lot more separated next gen.

Nintendo as a corp is likely more bloated now than in the gamecube days.

The success of the Wii had them growing rapidly, as one would expect. Unless they have trimmed greatly to align operational costs with the much lower sales of the console, the perception of wiggle room in the price might be false.

Over 100 awards? How many damn different awards can there be for a launch group of games? Are these awards B.S. awards mostly? I never hear much that I can recall here on GAF about awards meaning very much at E3. Game "Journalists" hand these out, no?

If 25 websites have a "Best console game", "Best Shooter", "Best multiplayer game", and "Best racing game" E3 award catergory, Titanfall and Forza could pull that down. That's all it really is.

AniHawk

Nintendo as a corp is likely more bloated now than in the gamecube days.

The success of the Wii had them growing rapidly, as one would expect. Unless they have trimmed greatly to align operational costs with the much lower sales of the console, the perception of wiggle room in the price might be false.

actually nintendo still seems very small. they only added 800 employees between 2006 and 2008 (during the early wii/ds boom), and another 1000 people in the last five years.

It'll be about five years

i remember when i first heard the leak that it was really actually happening, and for the ps360, all the way back in 2007. oh man, i thought, i can't wait until everyone finds out about this.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Fire Emblem Awakening nearly at 400,000 copies and Tales of Xillia on track to being the second highest selling Tales game in North America.

I think my night has been made!! Thanks my fellow gamers, every once in a while you restore what little faith I have in the hobby.

The difference is dramatic when you look at 3DS numbers in Japan for the past couple weeks, and the NPD numbers here for 360/PS3.

The 3DS hardware numbers have started surging in anticipation of compelling new software around the corner. Monster Hunter and Pokemon.

Meanwhile 360 and PS3 are declining even in the face of GTA5 around the corner.

The difference between declining platforms and those with growth still left in them.

AniHawk

Joke post? It's been like two years since we had a legit good month

isn't this one of the worst months in over a decade?

xbox 360 + wii u + wii + vita + ps3 + 3ds is under 400k. the ds probably gets it over that, but not to 450k. if you're including psp, ouya, and shield (because why not), then that's probably an additional 8k.

Yikes. I'd hate to see what Wii U did.

iSdGW94NYPf04.gif

LOCK

Joke post? It's been like two years since we had a legit good month

I specifically mention software. It is decent that it is up YOY. Seeing as how this month is up compared to the rest of the year, hopefully this is the start of a trend.

isn't this one of the worst months in over a decade?

xbox 360 + wii u + wii + vita + ps3 + 3ds is under 400k. the ds probably gets it over that, but not to 450k. if you're including psp, ouya, and shield (because why not), then that's probably an additional 8k.

That could be explained more with market variables rather than straight market death.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I specifically mention software. It is decent that it is up YOY. Seeing as how this month is up compared to the rest of the year, hopefully this is the start of a trend.

That could be explained more with market variables rather than straight market death.

Being up1% isn't much to celebrate, especially when the msrp of infinity is so high. Look how much Madden is down yoy. Those aren't healthy signs. What would you celebrate this month?

Then again, fair enough, I'm pretty macro focused

SmokyDave

Being up1% isn't much to celebrate, especially when the msrp of infinity is so high. Look how much Madden is down yoy. Those aren't healthy signs. What would you celebrate this month?

If it's in the high 20s, I'll celebrate the Vita.

That's the benefit of lowered expectations. Sigh.

26k Vita version, less than 60k for PS3 version via Creamsugar.
Huh. Given the disparity in install bases, that's pretty impressive.

AniHawk

If it's in the high 20s, I'll celebrate the Vita.

That's the benefit of lowered expectations. Sigh.

so vita sales go up and we experience one of the worst months the industry's seen in a long time. coincidence? i think not.

LOCK

Software is up 21%. That is impressive. Yes I know that is mainly due to Madden, but September is going to get GTAV, so it is balanced in my opinion. Also software was 305m for August and I doubt that Madden alone accounts for that 20% increase in sales over last year. It is also personal opinion that Madden is down YOY because of franchise fatigue on existing hardware, general franchise fatigue, and delay of purchases due to new hardware.

Lumyst

heh. yeah, i kinda feel like i'm living in the tail end of the golden years right now.

That's what I'm scared about. Will new ambitious games be tried on the mobile devices if it comes to that, can mid-tier creative games be successful enough that people can satisfy their artistic ambition and make a living off of making games for the smart device game market, or will it be hit or miss in hoping to have a high-selling game that sells enough at that $0.99 pricepoint.

Burai

shitonmychest57
We're past the point of system selling software for the HD twins. Only people left are value shoppers, and MS/Sony haven't budged on prices in ages.

The 12GB PS3 is a nice gesture but basically worthless if you pick up even 3 games with mandatory installs.

Exactly. The Xbox 360 hasn't seen a real price drop since 2008, just two redesigns and bigger storage.

It's pretty clear that PS360 has done as much as it was ever going to do at this price. For reference, the last Xbox 360 price drop coincided with the release of GTA IV. Nobody is going to buy a new console for GTA V now if they weren't prepared to spend the exact same amount for GTA IV five years ago.

Usobuko

Banned

Yes and I think the raw physical sales between 2 platforms is pretty impressive for a niche game. Another Atlus published game, SMT IV, with Nintendo $30 credit promotion pulls in around 70k last month on NPD and that probably outsell ( or come close to ) LTD of the other PS2 SMT series.

Thoraxes

The energy is going into heat and vibrating the particles. As more games are released, then we'll get some translational movement.

edit: As for the Xbox taking some of the kid's market from Nintendo's console, I have heard it said that Minecraft is a big deal among children now. Xbox One and PS4 are going to have that game. Perhaps the allure of seeing their creations on the big screen TV rendered on powerful hardware will get kids excited for those consoles. (Or maybe Minecraft will fizzle out or the price of those consoles is too high? I really have no personal experience with how Minecraft is doing among children.)

Dude, it's Minecraft. It's not exactly a pixel pusher.

AniHawk

Splinter Cell didnt sell over 5k on Wii U. WW that game must of been lucky to sell 10k on wii u,

no one can really blame ubisoft when they pull all support, nor other third-parties when they continue to not support the system until its final game release in 2015.

I really wonder about Wii U next month. 100k is probably impossible, but could it really miss 50k with a price drop and a Zelda bundle? If it did I think that it probably will have Vita-level or worse retail presence after the new systems hit.

AOC83

Banned
I really wonder about Wii U next month. 100k is probably impossible, but could it really miss 50k with a price drop and a Zelda bundle? If it did I think that it probably will have Vita-level or worse retail presence after the new systems hit.

WW already didn´t set the world on fire on a much more successful console 10 years ago. So i don´t know about the selling power. WiiU price is also ridiculously high still.

Top Bottom