• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for August 2014 [Up4: PS4 #1, XB1 last week sales 2x last Jul week]

did it at least do 25% better year over year?

yes silly, it's a limbo game...it didn't completely bomb

august 2013 was a complete bomb

this time around...it's not a complete bomb, it's just a deflating balloon

allan-bh 1321

i'm not going to say anything else about wii u sales

you should know what this means

Also shame on you Chartzzzzz for being like "PS4 - 190K" and not even mentioning me.

crinale

Bamco may be trying to make Zesteria timed exclusive to PS3 and add some content to release "ultimate" version to PS4 later on. That tactic sometimes works but not always.

I'm surprised Atlus didn't pull that tactic but instead decided for simultaneous cross-gen release.

ethomaz

Banned
So it barely beats, what, a 300K-400K total SKU? Then note that it is going to HEAVILY cannibalize the normal PS4 SKU, lets say 75%.

So 400k+ another 30-50K more. 450K would be a reasonable target.
Yeap in one week... you know September have more four weeks and the Amazon chart just shows up to Sep 8 yet... it didn't show Destiny release... we need to wait the Sep 15 ranking to see how much Destiny Bundle will go up yet.

AniHawk

You're describing pushing sales to the realm of 60K (EDIT: perhaps not even that) and still, from memory, sub-Dreamcast levels, as a success and certainly not a dead system?

we exist now in a reality where the top-selling hardware is not cracking 200k, the top-selling handheld is barely cracking 100k, and the wii u is the only platform seeing growth year over year. it truly is a brave new world.

Opiate

After the wii fad yes.

The console industry grew nearly 100% from Atari to the NES generation. However, they did not lose customers to competing platforms that time around. The console industry grew 80% from the SNES to PS1. However, they did not lose those customers to competing platforms that time around. The console industry grew 55% from the PS1 to the PS2. However, the industry did not lose those customers to competing platforms that time around.

Losing the new customers to competing platforms, as has happened this generation, is definitely unusual historically.

Why do people think destiny bundled is such a big deal? It's ten dollars less than if you bought a system and game of your choice anytime.

Not really a deal with that said and they are not going double dip to many people less than a year after launch.

So it barely beats, what, a 300K-400K total SKU? Then note that it is going to HEAVILY cannibalize the normal PS4 SKU, lets say 75%.

So 400k+ another 30-50K more. 450K would be a reasonable target.

Again, in 2 days, so give it the next 3 and half weeks to sell as well (5 week tracking). And I think standalone PS4 sales are not as cannibalize as you are predicting going by what little data we can see.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/2014-09/videogames/ref=zg_bsar_videogames_pg_2?ie=UTF8&pg=2#1

Yeap in one week... you know September have more four weeks and the Amazon chart just shows up to Sep 8 yet... it didn't show Destiny release... we need to wait the Sep 15 ranking to see how much Destiny Bundle will go up yet.

You are putting way too much stock into into how you think Amazon's charts work my friend.

StoopKid

The console industry grew 80% from the PS1 to the PS2. However, they did not lose those customers to competing platforms that time around. Why do you think that is?

No smartphones.

I know plenty of people who owned consoles back then but just play mobile games.

Why do people think destiny bundled is such a big deal? It's ten dollars less than if you bought a system and game of your choice anytime.

Not really a deal with that said and they are not going double dip to many people less than a year after launch.

I think it is only an OK deal (rather than some of actually nicer deals MS is throwing out), but it is a big deal because it is selling really well. My guess is people were waiting for a reason to jump into this gen and Destiny is that push a lot of people needed.

Opiate

No smartphones.

I know plenty of people who owned consoles back then but just play mobile games.

Well, right, that's my point really. This generation isn't contracting because of "the Wii fad," it's contracting because new competitors rose up and started taking chunks out of the console market. The newest (And consequently least loyal) console customers went first, which is no surprise, but we may be starting to see other customers go too; it's hard to say so far.

Toki767

People aren't buying it for Destiny so much as for the white PS4 itself.

Usobuko

Banned
Now imagine Tales of Zestiria sales next year, no wonder why Atlus put Persona 5 on PS4...
What scares me it's Bamco loosing the faith in western markets with Tales Of...

I don't know if Japanese companies should lose faith in the West but I do think they need to take advantage of rising Asian market. More collaboration with China/Taiwan/Korea companies for this region.

Or at the very least, localised them in their native language and try putting them on the most popular platform which is PC.

Lkr

I think it is only an OK deal (rather than some of actually nicer deals MS is throwing out), but it is a big deal because it is selling really well. My guess is people were waiting for a reason to jump into this gen and Destiny is that push a lot of people needed.

it got my brother in. i jumped last month on the $400 xbone madden bundle though. better deal imo since i can just get destiny for $60 and come out with two games for $10 more.

Only 41k Madden bundles? Ouch.

Madden definitely isn't the brand that it was during PS2 days or even last gen. Not many people are still playing Madden on my friends list, obviously partly because of Destiny, but I doubt a huge percentage of the base will suddenly come back when the AAA games barrage is about to start in about 2 weeks.

Some who didn't purchase Destiny have still already stopped playing the game, even though it was well received in the first week and with EA Access. Who would've thought we would ever reach a point where NBA 2K could outsell Madden?

Plus Madden can be played elsewhere in an arguably superior manner depending on preference as there is no meaningful exclusive content on XB1 that's not on PS4.

Top Bottom