• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for August 2014 [Up4: PS4 #1, XB1 last week sales 2x last Jul week]

I missed Xbox One numbers by a hair.

[WIU] 67K

Oh Aqua, is my prediction near actual results? :)

The results....are even lower!

Lower than 70K...lower than 67K...this is like a limbo game...how low can Wii U go?

It's lower than last month's 81K, it's lower than the previous month's 140K, etc...

It's just a deflating balloon as Mario Kart 8 fades from relevance.

As a Nintendo shareholder, it's annoying...but not entirely unprecedented given last month's significant MK8 drop. Let's hope both MK8 and the Wii U get revived in the 2014 holiday season with supplements like Captain Toad and Smash Bros 4.

September through December puts out a strong showing for PS4/XB1 so these are comps they want to match or win.

October in particular was not stellar for 360/PS3 in 2007.
This period also had a string of PS3 configuration and price changes.

The five week month should push the PS4 and XB1 into the realm of 440K or so, Destiny basically has to push an additional 200K units. Not sure whether it can.
Never fails to exceed [negative] expectations. :/

StoopKid

sörine;129599516 said:
Wii had 4 years of record breaking sales. PS4 had 2 months. Which one's the fad again?

Get mad all you want but the wii was a fad.

It's sales dropped off like a rock and the casual crowd has gone to mobile not wii u.

Lexxism

After the wii fad yes.

sörine;129599516 said:
Wii had 4 years of record breaking sales. PS4 had 2 months. Which one's the fad again?

tumblr_inline_nb9cnccidk1rn0rce.gif

Tutomos

I don't know, I think we have to re-adjust our expectations on the console sales for any non-mobile or dedicated gaming devices now. iphone 6 is going to be the biggest selling consumer elections this holiday and a lot of people will play games on it. If I'm Sony, I'm not betting on selling 300k+ consoles in August, because it's an unrealistic goal in the current climate. I'm looking into how to make money somewhere else, mostly in the online space and PlayStation Now for example.

Loudninja

Lower than 70K...lower than 67K...this is like a limbo game...how low can Wii U go?

It's lower than last month's 81K, it's lower than the previous month's 140K, etc...

As a Nintendo shareholder, it's annoying...but not entirely unprecedented given last month's significant MK8 drop. Let's hope both MK8 and the Wii U get revived in 2014 holiday season with supplements like Captain Toad and Smash Bros 4.
I say 48k.

Xenus

Hmm, just me or is SCEA refusing to give the Vita a second chance? See major grat deals on it here in Europe, even sells out in tiny Sweden, but does US get them as well?

And yes, thread moving to fast, can't read fast enough but did Vita really do <10k? :/

Prety much SCEA refuses to acknowledge it exists. If they cared their would be a minecraft bundle this holiday and it would be advertised at least a month or two in advance.

So from what I gather, less than 200K is not favorable?

Unfortunately, I feel as though the audience that was had previously has moved on. As to what's left? Remnants of such.

This is unfortunate, honestly. How can gaming expect to grow?

Even 200k ain't good when compared historically.

I guess if the White PS4 sells megaton numbers or something then we can breathe a sigh of relief, but everything trends towards a contraction in the console market across the board. 1st, 2nd and 3rd place aren't doing the numbers they should be doing to match their fathers.

ON A MONTHLY basis.

As a Nintendo shareholder, it's annoying...but not entirely unprecedented given last month's significant MK8 drop. Let's hope both MK8 and the Wii U get revived in the 2014 holiday season with supplements like Captain Toad and Smash Bros 4.

so I'm guessing 60k though if it's down YoY, it might be quite the reason to not have a press release. And those bundles

Edit: misremember August numbers. Those were 31k. Very bad if it was down YoY

allan-bh

Don't say less than 60k please.

Freeman

Banned
We have no idea how much the Destiny+White PS4 bundle is affecting the past months for PS4. Remember how much gamers are fond of pre-orders. When the kinectless bundle was announced the XB1 had a terrible time until the bundles released (sure there was the 100$ price difference, but I think a White PS4 does have a lot of appeal).

ethomaz

Banned
You think Destiny will give PS4 a 250k boost? But the game is available on 4 consoles. Seems a bold prediction.
More.

Looking at Amazon charts I believe something between 500-800k in September... it is hard to predict... the Destiny PS4 sold more than any Xbone's SKU in 2014.

IMO the real test for the new consoles will come as soon the cross-gen games dissapear, that means at the end of the year and next one. With Modern Warfare, Unity and others released we'll see the real potential of the next-gen consoles.

And, yeah, I'm not even counting the Wii U, the things is already a huge failure by any measure.

But surely, things don't look too good for the console industry.

I don't know about you,but if I have a product that retails at the same price as the competition with a pack in of a $60 dollar game and still sell less, I wouldn't be pleased.

XB1 isn't 499 anymore, it's 399 with a free game.

I agree that it's not something to be proud of. However, there hasn't been any meaningful game on the XB1 that you can't get on the PS4 for quite a while now.

The PS4 is the more powerful console and more popular console, so surely it can't be too surprising that it outsold the XB1, when there's been no meaningful content that can't be played in a "superior" manner on PS4.

Not singling you out man, it's just an observation. I wouldn't put any real stock in August in terms of hardware sales compared to any month with real factors in play especially when the difference was only about 30k.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
So from what I gather, less than 200K is not favorable?

Unfortunately, I feel as though the audience that was had previously has moved on. As to what's left? Remnants of such.

This is unfortunate, honestly. How can gaming expect to grow?

by continuing to grow at both the casual and enthusiast ends of the market, squeezing the space traditionally occupied by consoles in the middle into a slither.

More.

Looking at Amazon charts I believe something between 500-800k in September... it is hard to predict... the Destiny PS4 sold more than any Xbone's SKU in 2014.

You do know the Xbox SKUs are split 3 ways for 2014 right? Pre-Titanfall, Titanfall, and Kinectless?

wigwag85

Banned
Get mad all you want but the wii was a fad.

It's sales dropped off like a rock and the casual crowd has gone to mobile not wii u.

The Wii sold more hardware and software than either the 360 or the PS3. If the Wii was a fad, then the 360 and the PS3 are superfads.

Boke1879

More.

800K is a bit much. I'll give it 500k at most. Depends on how word of mouth is spread. I do think in the long run this bundle will go far into selling systems. I'm sure this bundle will be around for the holidays and such.

Lol at applying outliers when the console hasn't even been out a year yet. Come back in year 2 and 3. These doom and gloom forecasts based on short term data is getting boring to see every NPD.

This. I like how it's an outlier to be discounted that they sold a ton more earlier so far on several exclusives and mostly cross-gen titles even before the bigger next-gen only stuff really starts coming out early next year.

Hmm, just me or is SCEA refusing to give the Vita a second chance?

Yeah, pretty much, SCEA did so much less for the Vita than the others, they barely even acknowledge it, not that it would have mattered that much.

Top Bottom