• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for August 2015 [PS4 #1 HW/SW, 7M Amiibos LTD, 600K LTD Splatoon]

Conduit

Banned
Pretty sure at least for Black Friday Xbox One will be $299 since was $329 last year like people said.

This probably will force Sony to make some price cut for BF too (If isn't planning a permanent price cut).

299$? No chance. That's a huge money loss. 329$ was not from MS, but from some retailers ( IIRC Target ).

Bolivar687

Banned
Crazy. Xbox One did 1.2m with a price cut plus insane bundles and deals. This year is going to have October potentially taking sales from November because of Halo, and will have the PS4 as serious competition also taking away sales. Neither will hit 2 million in November, and I also will say the same for December.

I think he meant combined.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
I think there'a a chance for both to beat or come close.

I mean the game this year are even bigger. Consoles will be cheaper official or not, I mean last year Xbox One did 1.2 in nov NPD. PS4 wasn't too far off. This time both will have deals, bigger games, and a lack of last gen holding them back at cheaper prices with deals coming out the wazoo.

I think November will do both over 2 million easily. Hyped up games and established big sellers, plus deals pretty much seals the deal.

I don't even think PS4 or XBO will sell 1.5 million this November or ever...

You don't remember last November Ouya sales in Canada?

That's the record to break!

Nobody cares about Ouya bro, like the Dreamcast. :D

Chobel

We shouldn't forget about Forza, and the Forza bundle (which had some good pre-orders. Below is an example of hardware sales on each Forzas release month.

Forza 5: 909k (also best selling Xbox One exclusive coming out of the year)

Forza 4: 393k

Forza 3: 249.7k

Forza 2: 154k

This Forza is coming out with much more hype and attention than Forza 5, with large improvements, and will be coming off of a very close august, also, it has a bundle as well. I expect the Xbox One to be closer to the PS4 than some think.

That Forza 5 number is wrong, I don't remember its first month sales exactly but it was definitely less 300K.

ZhugeEX

Banned
That Forza 5 number is wrong, I don't remember its first month sales exactly but it was definitely less 300K.

He;s purposely posting hardware numbers instead of software numbers in order to distort figures.

I'd put that guy on your ignore list as he has a history of... weird posts....

Especially since he's been banned before and this is an alt account for him.

Chobel

He;s purposely posting hardware numbers instead of software numbers in order to distort figures.

Shit! That's why "909K" sounded familiar, it was the number of XBO sold in November 2013 NPD.

Crazy. Xbox One did 1.2m with a price cut plus insane bundles and deals. This year is going to have October potentially taking sales from November because of Halo, and will have the PS4 as serious competition also taking away sales. Neither will hit 2 million in November, and I also will say the same for December.

The Xbox One had 3 bundles of limited availability, 1 with a broken game, barely any other options available outside that broken bundle outside Kinect, and Halo MCC being the only games of relevant impact since those games released in 2013, and a few multiplats.

This year Xbox one has a bunch of big games, price cuts, deals, more options bundle or not, including the biggest multiplats, and BC which is included with some games and will be lvie by the time, exclusive content for a couple games. Same with the PS4, although the game front may be a bit low, they still have a decent selection and rights to big games, which will sell very well, and this applies to them selling on Xbox one as well to a lesser extend.

The years aren't even comparable. We have some of the biggest series and hyped games with tons of bundled options from both sides giving a higher variety of choice and metting demand for that choice, along with the usual deals and retailer price cuts and you think neither will go over 2 million?

Xbox One did 1.2 million with almost nothing but price cuts and "initial" interest in Unity. Which was gone probably within the same month. PS4 was laying back outside the GTAV deal until December.

Now we have rows of games starting in September to october to november and December, and that previous 2 month build up will help both in the holidays, I say it's unlikely rither will be below 2 million. Look at Starwars, COD, Fifa, Madden, gears, uncharted Collection, Destiny, Metal Gear, Forza, Halo, Fall Out, bundles bundles BUNDLES!!!!

Sure whatever, that's why I'm still here right. *eye roll*

ZhugeEX

Banned
I did a thing-

NPD recently released their report on the video games industry at US retail for August 2015. NPD noted that the PlayStation 4 remained the best selling console of the month and continues to be the cumulative sales leader in the USA with 8.7 million units sold through to end users.

Hardware sales dropped 2% from $195.3 million in August 2014 to $190.5 million in August 2015. Total unit sell through in August 2015 for generation 8 home consoles exceeded 450,000 units with the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One both selling over 200,000 units each. In fact the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One sell through was almost the same with this month having the smallest gap between the two. The Wii U on the other hand failed to take 10% share this month. Just like last month, more than 90% of hardware sales were in the form of bundles.

Software sales reached $207.9 million which is down 10% from last years total of $231.3 million. Even digital sales didn’t offset this decrease which is partly due to the fact that both Madden 15 and Diablo 3 launched last year where as this year Madden 16 was the only big AAA game.

Untitled-1.jpg

It’s important to remember that NPD only tracks new physical retail sales in the USA. It does not account for digital or used game sales so whilst it doesn’t provide us with information about the overall market it is useful at showing general trends seen at retail and how games are performing.

This months best selling game wasn’t a surprise at all with the new release of Madden NFL 16. Especially when both Microsoft and Sony were giving the game away for free with new console purchases. What is still somewhat surprising is how well last gen is doing for family games with Minecraft at number 2 and Lego: Jurassic World at number 5. This is a trend we continue to see and one I expect to continue for a while. New AAA games aimed at core gamers like Destiny have 80% share on PS4 and Xbox One whilst family friendly IP’s still sell better on last gen, an example being Lego: The Move video game which only saw 25% of its sales on generation 8 consoles.

1431604294-media.jpg

This shows that there are still plenty of gamers on last generation consoles who have yet to upgrade and this is further backed up by the surprise entry of Call of Duty: Black Ops combo pack, a retail title released in May which includes the first two Black Ops titles for PS3 and 360. They hype around Black Ops 3 has been very high this year with pre orders tracking higher than Advanced Warfare and this last gen bundle re-affirms why Activision were not yet ready to ditch last gen.

Other titles in the top 10 include Gears of War: Ultimate edition at number 3 which is a very high ranking for a remaster. It goes to show that Gears still has a huge fan base in the US and this will certainly fuel demand for Gears 4. Rare Replay entered at number 6 with over 100,000 unit sales which is great to see. Until Dawn was just below at number 7, failing to crack 100,000 units during its first week on sale. However the game has received great reviews and so I would expect the game to continue selling well throughout the rest of the year.

cumulative.jpg

The chart above shows how the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One have performed over the first 22 months of their life cycle in comparison to the first 36 months of the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 life cycle. What can be seen straight away is how the PS4 and XB1 had amazing launches in the US which instantly put them higher than their predecessors.

Sales of the next generation consoles have been fairly healthy with the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One combined total tracking 45% ahead of the PS3 and 360 total in the same time frame.

When looking at monthly sales we can see that the PlayStation 4 has consistently outsold the Xbox One each month since launch with the only exception being the holiday season last year and a couple of other months. Microsoft were very aggressive during the last holiday season and the results have shown that the Xbox brand still has a huge following in the US where it has been most successful over the years. However, despite the lower price and large amount of value on offer the PlayStation 4 continues to remain ahead every month.

Monthly.jpg

September should also see another successful month for PlayStation 4 thanks to the combined efforts of Metal Gear Solid V and Destiny: The Taken King which should encourage PlayStation 4 sell through thanks to the marketing at play as well as strong mind share the PlayStation brand has among Metal Gear and Destiny fans. October could go in favour of the Xbox One with the launch of Halo 5 in the final week of the month, Gamestop said in a quarterly report that they expect Halo 5 to be the highest selling game during the 3 month period ending in October which means they expect Halo 5 to sell more in 1 week than any other game can in that 3 month period. (August, September & October)

Halo has always seen massive launches in the US where the series is most popular. Each mainline game usually opens with 3 million or more units sold through and this year isn’t expected to be much different. With the launch of the limited edition console, Halo 5 is certainly expected to move hardware in October. Overall the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One are still seeing healthy adoption rates and I expect this holiday season to bring in a large amount of users who will be upgrading from last gen due to the new “next gen only” titles.

Nintendo’s Wii U has been performing poorly since launch, it has only just surpassed 4.1 million units sold to consumers whilst the PlayStation 4 has currently sold more than twice that amount of units. That being said, Nintendo have been very successful with recent software launches. Splatoon has now sold through 600,000 units in the USA and this pushes Nintendo into third place for best selling publishers this year. Nintendo’s Amiibo toy to life range has also been very successful with more than 7 million units sold to date.

GAP11.jpg

The PlayStation 4 has seen continually healthy sales which has allowed it to remain the cumulative sales leader in the USA. There has been no price cut for the PlayStation 4 just yet and it really hasn’t needed one. The PlayStation 4 is set to remain ahead of both the PS3 and 360 when launches are aligned and is on track to have an excellent holiday season.

There are now 810,000 more PlayStation 4′s in the hands of consumers compared to Xbox One’s and this gap is set to grow next month. Microsoft will be hoping for a repeat of last year where they were able to close the gap down to around 500,000 and will be even happier if they can reduce the PS4 lead even more. However the Xbox One has had to go through a lot to keep up with PS4 in terms of unit sales and it won’t have been cheap for Microsoft. This year I expect Microsoft will attempt to compete on value rather than drop the price again.

To date the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One have sold 16.6 million units combined in the USA.
http://gearnuke.com/august-2015-npd-sales-analysis-ps4xbo-combined-tracking-45-ahead-ps3360/

ethomaz

Banned
I can't believe somebody in the world things Forza 6 is a system seller.
Forza franchise was never a system seller.
Forza 6 will be sold more to the Forza 5 owners.

It is a 2m avg. franchise without bundles.

Nobody said Forza was a system seller. The most I see is that Forza is big enough to help move hardware with the other games releasing in the same month. It's also a franchise that sold more each entry, of course we don't have 5 numbers yet.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Are you an editor in GearNuke or a contributor? Really nice... I will read later.

Just a contributor.

Is there an up to date worldwide total sold for the current consoles?

Not really. We know that PS4 shipments were 25.3m as of June 30th 2015. Nintendo Wii U was at 10.01m as of the same timepoint. For Xbox One we don't have an exact figure but we can be reasonably sure that it's over 14 million.

ethomaz

Banned
Is there a reliable worldwide total sold for the current consoles?
Only for PS4 and Wii U (this case only shipment).

PS4 SOLD 20.2m as of March 1, 2015.
PS4 SHIPPED 25.3m as of June 30, 2015.

Wii U SHIPPED 10.1m as of June 30, 2015.

PS. These are the latest figures... next update is for September 30, 2015 for Shipments and when Sony reaches a milestones for sold.

cakely

Xbox One did 1.2 million with almost nothing but price cuts and "initial" interest in Unity.

"Almost nothing"? Price cuts were the single largest reason the Xbox One sold 1.2 million units in November and December of 2014. For example: we had retailers selling the Xbox One for $350 with a brand-new game (Assassin's Creed: Unity) and throwing in a $70 gift card.

I'm sure we'll see similar offers for Holiday 2015.

ZhugeEX

Banned

OMG! I just checked Chartz figures for Forza (for fun).

They have Forza Motorsport 2 for Xbox 360 as 2.15m sold in the US. The truth is the game didn't even ship 3/4 of a million in the US.

Their numbers are hilariously wrong for that series in the US.

Even Forza 3 and Forza 4 is inflated above belief. Forza 3 over 2.7m on chartz in the US, again the game didn't even sell 1m.

"Almost nothing"? Price cuts were the single largest reason the Xbox One sold 1.2 million units in November and December of 2014.

Uh this is exactly what I said in the post you quoted? In fact, that's the reason why I think both will do over 2 million, because BOTH will have retailer cuts.

ethomaz

Banned

They have Forza Motorsport 2 for Xbox 360 as 2.15m sold in the US. The truth is the game didn't even ship 3/4 of a million in the US.

Even Forza 3 and Forza 4 is inflated above belief. Forza 3 over 2.7m, again the game didn't even sell 1m.
That is what I think (or guess lol)... people overestimates a lot Forza sales.

I know Forza 5 break 1 million WW but after that no more info was shared about it... I guess it didn't crossed 2 million WW yet... NPD figures for US are not optimists too.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Uh this is exactly what I said in the post you quoted? In fact, that's the reason why I think both will do over 2 million, because BOTH will have retailer cuts.

pls stop.

This is all you ever do.

Come into NPD thread > Post controversial stuff > Someone points out what you said > You start aggressive argument about it.

That is what I think (or guess lol)... people overestimates a lot Forza sales.

I know Forza 5 break 1 million but after that no more info was shared about it... I guess it didn't crossed 2 million yet WW.

Forza does well as a racing game in Europe actually

Even Forza 3 and Forza 4 is inflated above belief. Forza 3 over 2.7m on chartz in the US, again the game didn't even sell 1m.

Wasn't Forza massively bundled last gen? Or was that just in Europe. At least during one holiday season you pretty much couldn't buy X360 Pro without it having Forza bundled (In Europe at least).

pls stop.

This is all you ever do.

Come into NPD thread > Post controversial stuff > Someone points out what you said > You start aggressive argument about it.

Maybe you think other people can't read but I didn't argue about anything. He said the EXACT SAME THING I stated before without realizing it, and I pointed it out, take your controversy and stuff it.

Heck, the last time you shouted nonsense out your pie hole it was me saying Xbox One might win August and that was echoed by quite a few people so I'm pretty sure you have no idea what you're talking about most of the time.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Wasn't Forza massively bundled last gen? Or was that just in Europe. At least during one holiday season you pretty much couldn't buy X360 Pro without it having Forza bundled (In Europe at least).

oh good point. Always forget chartz "estimate" total sales,

Were all Forza games on 360 bundled then? (Excluding horizon)

Welfare

I bought a 360 slim and it came with Forza 4, though I think it was a special bundle. Also came with a controller wheel.

Oh yeah it was.

cakely

Xbox One did 1.2 million with almost nothing but price cuts and "initial" interest in Unity. BUNDLES!!!!

Uh this is exactly what I said in the post you quoted?

Effectively taking $220 off a console's sale price from the previous holiday season isn't "almost nothing", it's the single largest factor, and it can't be repeated for 2015, because the console is currently available for $350.

This season, It looks like you're expecting other factors, such as a better game library and backwards compatibility to add an additional 800k YoY. That just doesn't seem possible.

I bought a 360 slim and it came with Forza 4, though I think it was a special bundle. Also came with a controller wheel.

Oh yeah it was.

It was.
At least Forza 3 and 4... I don't remember Forza 2.

Yeah. Not sure about Forza 2 but 3 and 4 had pretty massive bundles.

oh good point. Always forget chartz "estimate" total sales,

Were all Forza games on 360 bundled then? (Excluding horizon)

3 and 4 mostly. Also in no way I am defending Chartz and their made up numbers but in this case it explains their inflated numbers at least for 3 and 4 (that are still most likely way off).

Effectively taking $220 off a console's sale price from the previous holiday season isn't "almost nothing", it's the single largest factor, and it can't be repeated for 2015, because the console is currently available for $350.

This season, It looks like you're expecting other factors, such as a better game library and backwards compatibility to add an additional 800k YoY. That just doesn't seem possible.

No what I meant was almost nothing as in the Xbox One had nothing to move it hardware wise BUT deals. I didn't really make that clear so hopefully this fixes that.

But as you said I'm expecting those big deals again, this time with worthwhile content and higher bundle incentives. We have more large games from third-parties and bigger games from first-party studios for both.

Out of curiosity why do you think neither will be able to move that 800k this year?

ethomaz

Banned
So 1 million units for splatoon by the end of the year is pretty much a given right?
Do you have a current estimated sales for Splatoon in US? I know it shipped 1.62 million units WW but I'm not inline with US estimates.

Edit - 600k (thanks Zhuge). I guess it won't reach 1 million in US this year but I'm saying that in a blind way :D

ZhugeEX

Banned
3 and 4 mostly. Also in no way I am defending Chartz and their made up numbers but in this case it explains their inflated numbers at least for 3 and 4 (that are still most likely way off).

No I get that. If I'm going to be saying Chartz are wrong I want to actually make sure I have the evidence in front of me to say that. And I do with plenty of games, and now Forza 2.

But the bundles for Forza 3 and 4 will of course inflate the numbers so I have no idea what they sold when you include bundles.

Do you have a current estimated sales for Splatoon in US? I know it shipped 1.62 million units WW but I'm not inline with US estimates.

It sold 600k by end of August.

Welfare

Just pointing out that the highest the 360 did in November was 1.7m in 2011. PS3 never hit 1m in November.

The 360's peak December was >1.8m in 2010.

Um yeah 2 million for either the One or PS4 is highly unlikely. Both will obviously do >2m with November and December combined, but that's it.

Edit - 600k (thanks Zhuge). I guess it won't reach 1 million in US this year but I'm saying that in a blind way :D

The thread title says 600k, so with the holidays I think it may be possible. There aren't that many one million sellers USA wise for the Wii U so if it reaches that goal it will be a significant milestone.

Just pointing out that the highest the 360 did in November was 1.7m in 2011. PS3 never hit 1m in November.

The 360's peak December was >1.8m in 2010.

Um yeah 2 million for either the One or PS4 is highly unlikely. Both will obviously do >2m with November and December combined, but that's it.

360's peak November was lower than it's peak December? interesting.

I may have overestimated the numbers, I was looking at the big games releasing months in a row until the end of the year and figured since these were all bigger than last years game line-up the consoles would sell a lot more.

Then again, I didn't consider some of these games cannibalizing the sales of others as well. I'll have to reevaluate my prediction.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
For the record, here the bigger NPD of all time:

1) Wii ( December 2009 ) = 3,810,000
2) DS ( December 2009 ) = 3,310,000
3) DS ( December 2008 ) = 3,040,000
4) PS2 ( December 2002 ) = 2,733,000
5) DS ( December 2010 ) = 2,500,000
6) DS ( December 2007 ) = 2,470,000
7) Wii ( December 2010 ) = 2,360,000
8) GBA ( December 2003 ) = 2,316,000
9) GBA ( December 2002 ) = 2,215,000
10) Wii ( December 2008) = 2,150,000

No one this gen will top this.

So 1 million units for splatoon by the end of the year is pretty much a given right?

Splatoon will easy sell over 1,000,000 in both US and Japan, and over 3,000,000 globally only in 2015.
Lifetime, Splatoon will be over 5,000,000, maybe even 6,000,000.

10339624_139225079757886_8499726233087976805_n.jpg

obligatory photo. :D

ZhugeEX

Banned
Forza 2 was bundled along with Marvel Ultimate Alliance IIRC.

EDIT:
elite360bundleholiday07.jpg

Ah, cheers bear cub.

I wouldn't think this accounts for the additional 1.3m or so sales in the US.....

But hey maybe it does lol. Anyway, just though it'd be fun to compare chartz to NPD data and boy was that a big difference!

Boke1879

I know we should take Amazon and not use it as a measuring stick but the Darth Vader PS4 CE is sitting at #5 on amazon. It's been in the top 10 since they announced the price.

Honestly I expected it to kinda fall off since marketing for the game or bundle hasn't really kicked in yet.

ethomaz

Banned
I know we should take Amazon and not use it as a measuring stick but the Darth Vader PS4 CE is sitting at #5 on amazon. It's been in the top 10 since they announced the price.

Honestly I expected it to kinda fall off since marketing for the game or bundle hasn't really kicked in yet.
It is Star Wars... marketing or not it will sell tons.

Amazon got it restocked several times already.

Because this and the possible CoD bundle I expect PS4 to top Xbone in November.

It would be weird if it didn't win, well at least those two should be very close because of bundles and marketing deals Sony has.

Boke1879

Oh I totally agree. I just didn't expect it to stay in the top 10. All they really did was announce the price

Kysen

Holy shit I've been living in a cave. Had no idea the Wii was that big. I still till this day have never even played a Wii or used a Wiimote. Sure puts the WiiU into perspective.

2) DS ( December 2009 ) = 3,310,000
3) DS ( December 2008 ) = 3,040,000
4) PS2 ( December 2002 ) = 2,733,000
5) DS ( December 2010 ) = 2,500,000
6) DS ( December 2007 ) = 2,470,000
8) GBA ( December 2003 ) = 2,316,000
9) GBA ( December 2002 ) = 2,215,000

Well part of the reason is because holiday sales are more split between November and December nowadays. Sure DS/WII did those numbers despite this but during GBA/PS2 gen november wasn't as big as it's today.

Welfare

Holy shit I've been living in a cave. Had no idea the Wii was that big. I still till this day have never even played a Wii or used a Wiimote. Sure puts the WiiU into perspective.

Wii was supply constrained in November 2009 iirc, which lead to such a huge December.

Top Bottom