• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for August 2015 [PS4 #1 HW/SW, 7M Amiibos LTD, 600K LTD Splatoon]

With the free MGSV with TTK Bundle deal going on, the bundle finally managed to surpass PS4 Darth Vader LE on Amazon.

11. TTK Bundle (+ MGSV week)
12. Darth Vader LE

But it still makes you wonder how many pre-order is that bundle getting to only be behind one space below TTK Bundle.

Things are getting interesting indeed.

So who seems to be ahead in September so far?

PS4 by a long shot (not counting Vader Bundle) and it also seems PS4 TLOU SKU (88) is getting a second wind passing the Madden Bundle (91) which is impressive.

Edit:

Amazon Monthly Chart (As of Today)

11) PS4 Destiny TTK
12) PS4 Vader (Doesn't Count)
43) XB1 Forza
84) XB1 Gears
88) PS4 TLOU
91) XB1 Madden

Seems XB1 Halo bundle nowhere to be found this month.

Would be better if those playable libraries were increased via real new games and not just artificially enlarging the libraries via emulation. Going backwards isn't a good way for the industry to move forward in my opinion.

I doubt a vast opportunity cost exists in making things playable via emulation at the expense of new titles. Especially given the expensive state of game development. Plus, it's only the hardware manufacturers dabbling into it and it doesn't really affect third party publishers in a meaningful way.

RexNovis

Banned
Does anyone else agree with me that Sony will likely require a repurchase for PS Classics on PS4? With the enhancements I think they can make the argument that payment is needed and it aligns with their goals of boosting profitability for the platform. I certainly wouldn't be surprised if the PS4 compatible releases dont support crossbuy.

Mikey Jr.

Does anyone else agree with me that Sony will likely require a repurchase for PS Classics on PS4? With the enhancements I think they can make the argument that payment is needed and it aligns with their goals of boosting profitability for the platform. I certainly wouldn't be surprised if the PS4 compatible releases dont support crossbuy.

I don't think its going to be a simple "dump the .iso and fuck off" type situation. Could be, but I doubt it.

I think Sony is going to introduce PS Classics that you have to purchase, but will get some basic trophies (for instance, start the game and beat the game, 1 being silver, and the other gold. I don't think Sony going in and meticulously adding a full trophy system to each game), and maybe graphical enhancements, most likely an increase in resolution.

Other things they could add?

1. Save states
2. Rewind feature
3. Shareplay

Just tossing stuff out there. I guess the inclusion of trophies would maybe complicate 1 and 2, but who gives a shit?

Shenmue

Banned

Sad thing is I would buy it. So goes the life of a trophy whore.

RexNovis

Banned
I don't think its going to be a simple "dump the .iso and fuck off" type situation. Could be, but I doubt it.

I think Sony is going to introduce PS Classics that you have to purchase, but will get some basic trophies (for instance, start the game and beat the game, 1 being silver, and the other gold. I don't think Sony going in and meticulously adding a full trophy system to each game), and maybe graphical enhancements, most likely an increase in resolution.

Other things they could add?

1. Save states
2. Rewind feature
3. Shareplay

Just tossing stuff out there. I guess the inclusion of trophies would maybe complicate 1 and 2, but who gives a shit?

The patent they filed a while back implies they are aiming for full trophy support for these sort of titles and all signs point to them running at higher resolutions as well. I think a lot of people would buy these releases for these 2 things alone.

Case and point:

Sad thing is I would buy it. So goes the life of a trophy whore.

I do wonder if these features would be only present for the PS2 versions of these classics. As it is now it looks like the next FW update will include a custom emulator for PS2 titles but it doesnt say anything about PS1 titles. I feel like PS1 titels could benefit greatly from upscaling so I hope that the PS2 emulator is capable of running PS1 titles like the OG PS2 could. I really feel like they could make a killing reselling all these old classics with a new set of polish and trophy support.

allan-bh

Now that we know Sony bundles (only missing Assassin's Creed for USA, maybe SCEA isn't bringing), I'm curious about Microsoft bundles.

Too many bundles being announced people just decided to wait for the right one I guess.
Are these announcements real announcements? Like, do normal people really get this information?
Or are you ironic?
I guess people learned to wait until the next huge discount when buying an Xbox. The normal pricepoint is burnt.

Are these announcements real announcements? Like, do normal people really get this information?
Or are you ironic?
I guess people learned to wait until the next huge discount when buying an Xbox. The normal pricepoint is burnt.

Ironically enough MS has managed to nonchalantly increase the MSRP back to $399 with 80% of their bundles being priced that way. So yes, people are waiting for a good discount (not the lego bundle lol).

Asd202

Well PS4 will take September (Destiny + MGSV) but the question is by how much.

Or are you ironic?

Well holidays are coming and by going what MS was doing last year it's better to wait for the fire sale :p I know I would do that if I wanted an Xbone.

Javin98

Banned
Ironically enough MS has managed to nonchalantly increase the MSRP back to $399 with 80% of their bundles being priced that way. So yes, people are waiting for a good discount (not the lego bundle lol).
Yep, I'm surprised to see so many $399 bundles from Microsoft. Of course, they can still drop the prices before the holiday season like they did with the AC Unity bundle, but right now, they don't seem as competitive as they did last holiday season. That fire sale might have really hurt the division financially, I think.

allan-bh

Right now Amazon is directly selling just FIFA 16 Xbox One bundle (and taking pre-order of new bundles) Other bundles are fulfilled and Madden bundle is only available via marketplace.

Probably this explains why dropped in hourly list.

Looking forward to December 30th...

"Hey let me go see what's cooking on GAF. Oh hey! An NPD thread! Great!"

Clicky.

Reads first post.

"There's still time this year for a price drop"

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Since i dont see September predictions thread, i say my prediction Here. I Will Write My predictions even in the Donny thread of course.

[PS4] 410,000
[XB1] 275,000
[3DS] 130,000
[WIU] 70,000

Shenmue

Banned
Looking forward to December 30th...

"Hey let me go see what's cooking on GAF. Oh hey! An NPD thread! Great!"

Clicky.

Reads first post.

"There's still time this year for a price drop"

LOL. Only if the "Next month will be interesting..." guy is late with the post.

Elios83

It won't last long.
Now they're announcing all their bundles and the official prices. Later (end of October or early November), surprise, 50$ off as a holiday promotion on all bundles plus further "independent" retailers discounts.
I don't think they're so confident in Halo 5 to actually raise the price compared to last year when you could buy the AC:Unity bundle at 329$ almost everywhere. Spencer also said they're assuming a price drop from Sony in their strategy. They're not betting the holiday season on 399$+ bundles.
This is all part of a marketing plan.

faridmon

Splatoon must be the success of the year so far. an IP a lot have predicted it would bomb, scuffed how it would not attract any audience, and how its online only selling poeint is just insane to advertise selling 600k just in the US is just a great feat

kyser73

The real question is ... is October pre-season or not? ;) (according to Aaron Greenberg)

'Well, you see with our passion in full flow, the decision on whether October is pre-season or not will be highly dependent on how many more units we sell than our main competitor.

Please remember - given some of your own passion to MS this holiday, and buy the XBox One for yourself, your friends, and you family. We really do love your passion.'

Since i dont see September predictions thread, i say my prediction Here. I Will Write My predictions even in the Donny thread of course.

[PS4] 410,000
[XB1] 275,000
[3DS] 130,000
[WIU] 70,000
patience_quote.jpg

RexNovis

Banned
Does anyone else feel like all the XB1 bundles are going way overboard? Not only are their prices all over the place but their bundled software & hardware are also all over the place. I find myself incapable of keeping track of them all at this point especially with all the pricing variation and I'm a gaming enthusiast so I can't even begin to imagine how confusing all these bundles will be for the non enthusiast consumers this holiday season.

It's also odd that so many of these bundles are being used to reinforce the price of the console back to $399 and $499 where they have struggled to sell in the past. Why would you increase the price of a console to meet or exceed the competition when it has only met with success by undercutting it's direct competition?

Some truly baffling decisions coming from MS for this holiday shopping season.

Kill3r7

Does anyone else feel like all thee XB1 bundles are going way overboard? Not only are their prices all over the place but their bundled software & hardware are also all over the place. I find myself incapable of keeping track of them all at this point especially with all the pricing variation and I'm a gaming enthusiast so I can't even begin to imagine how confusing all these bundles will be for the non enthusiast consumers this holiday season.

It's also odd that so many of these bundles are being used to reinforce the price of the console back to $399 and $499 where they have struggled to sell in the past. Why would you increase the price of a console to meet or exceed the competition when it has only met with success by undercutting it's direct competition?

Agreed, too many bundles. However, most of them seem to be store specific. So I think it is safe to assume there will be store specific deals/discounts this holiday season. Consumers will know where to go to get the best deal.

Fat4all

Banned
Agreed, too many bundles. However, most of them seem to be store specific. So I think it is safe to assume there will be store specific deals/discounts this holiday season. Consumers will know where to go to get the best deal.

I also have a feeling that there's gonna be a $50 drop across all bundles by November as well. MSRP seems a little high on a few of the ones announced.

RexNovis

Banned

Oh? I wasn't aware these were retailer specific bundles. The way they are being announced I guess I just assumed they were being revealed as general holiday bundles. I guess that's a testament to how confusing this whole deal is. Which ones are at which retailers?

I also have a feeling that there's gonna be a $50 drop across all bundles by November as well. MSRP seems a little high on a few of the ones announced.

Why would you go through all the trouble of announcing and advertising a bundle at one price just drop it a month or so later? Doesn't make much sense from a marketing perspective. It's not like people are being given enough time to acclimate to the new pricing such that a small price drop would be seen as a good value. Especially when that price drop puts it in line with the previous price point.

Javin98

Banned
Does anyone else feel like all thee XB1 bundles are going way overboard? Not only are their prices all over the place but their bundled software & hardware are also all over the place. I find myself incapable of keeping track of them all at this point especially with all the pricing variation and I'm a gaming enthusiast so I can't even begin to imagine how confusing all these bundles will be for the non enthusiast consumers this holiday season.

Agreed, some of the bundles may be retail exclusive, but it's still easy to confuse the mass market IMO. Currently, none of the bundles have as great value as the AC Unity bundle IMO. However, as Fat4all said, Microsoft might drop the price of all bundles by $50. While it may boost sales significantly, Microsoft is also taking a risk that they may be overly devaluing their console even further. They may say it's a temporary price drop for the holidays, but we all know it will revert back to the holiday season price soon after the price drop period ends. Just look at January this year. XB1 sales tanked, forcing Microsoft to permanently drop the price to $349.

Right now, I'm not sure if Microsoft will drop the price of the bundles. We'll have to see if Sony does drop the price of the PS4 in the US to $349. Price drop or not, I think Sony has a solid chance of winning this holiday season, or at least, match Microsoft. Those Star Wars and COD BO3 bundles will do incredibly well in November.

Kill3r7

Oh? I wasn't aware these were retailer specific bundles. The way they are being announced I guess I just assumed they were being revealed as general holiday bundles. I guess that's a testament to how confusing this whole deal is. Which ones are at which retailers?

I can't keep track of them but IIRC, the white Gears bundle is Walmart only, the TR bundle is MS store, BestBuy and someone else and the Kinect bundle is available worldwide. Not sure about Rare Replay Bundle and the Lego Movie one.

Does anyone else feel like all the XB1 bundles are going way overboard?

"So, hey guys, how do we ensure we make a real statement at retail this holiday with the Xbox One, the All-in-One Entertainment System from Microsoft?"

Silence.

"No, really. What can we do to really show people how many great games we have, and that the Xbox One, the All-in-One Entertainment System from Microsoft is the best choice this holiday season?"

Shifting in chairs... hand raises...

"Uh... well... we could make like a bundle for every game. Then, like, GameStop would have to show them all in a row, and it would like take up 6 feet of space. And then, if we have a bundle to appeal to everyone, then they're more likely to pick that?"

Eyebrow raises...

"DO IT DOT J P G"

RexNovis

Banned
"So, hey guys, how do we ensure we make a real statement at retail this holiday with the Xbox One, the All-in-One Entertainment System from Microsoft?"

Silence.

"No, really. What can we do to really show people how many great games we have, and that the Xbox One, the All-in-One Entertainment System from Microsoft is the best choice this holiday season?"

"Uh... well... we could make like a bundle for every game. Then, like, GameStop would have to show them all in a row, and it would like take up 6 feet of space. And then, if we have a bundle to appeal to everyone, then they're more likely to pick that?"

Eyebrow raises...

"DO IT DOT J P G"

Hah! well it makes about as much sense as any other reason I could come up with

Silence.

Eyebrow raises...

"DO IT DOT J P G"

The only thing I don't get is with all these bundles being announced, how much stock is being allocated to which bundle?

If it's SO stock it's ok, but if it's AC Bundle type stock...let's just say the temps at GameStop this holiday might quit.

Top Bottom