• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for August 2018

iconmaster

Banned

(August 5th through September 1st)

Top 20 games by dollar sales
  1. Madden NFL 19**
  2. Monster Hunter: World
  3. Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six: Siege
  4. Grand Theft Auto V
  5. Mario Kart 8*
  6. Naruto To Boruto: Shinobi Striker
  7. God of War
  8. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
  9. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild*
  10. Super Mario Odyssey*
  11. Minecraft
  12. Crash Bandicoot: N. Sane Trilogy
  13. Far Cry 5
  14. Monster Hunter: Generations Ultimate
  15. Call of Duty: WWII
  16. Mario Tennis Aces*
  17. Overwatch**
  18. Lego The Incredibles
  19. We Happy Few*
  20. The Crew 2
*No digital sales included
**No PC digital sales included

Best-selling hardware: Nintendo Switch

Kind of a boring month, unless you're a huge Madden fan I guess.

Dunki

next month will be exciting IMO. There are a lot of titles I am interested in how they did sales wise.

manfestival

I guess Monster Hunter World on PC didn't sell as well as we were lead to believe or are steam sales not included in this?

Stuart360

I guess Monster Hunter World on PC didn't sell as well as we were lead to believe or are steam sales not included in this?
There were 180,000 online on Steam a couple of days after release, its also still in the top 3 on the top selling list. Its done fine.

iconmaster

Banned
Other details from Mat Piscatella that caught my eye:

- NES Classic is year's best selling "plug-n-play" console in units, but SNES Classic leads in dollar sales.
- Neon red/blue Switch is the year's best-selling individual hardware item, but PS4 is best-selling platform.
- Nintendo hardware unit and dollar sales are at their highest since 2011.

Last edited:
PS4 will lock down September, October, and November garunteed.

Good thing I don't care about GTA or Mario Kart because the sequels for those won't be made for years.

tkscz

Fucking-A GTA V just keeps going. I kind of wonder what would happen if it got a Switch release. Could the sales of that game get any better?

Though I didn't expect Monster Hunter: Generations to be on that list at all.

cryptoadam

Banned
GTA V at 4? You want it at number 1 release a Switch port. The thing ran on a xbox 360 it can't be that hard to put it on the Switch. Even a craptastic port would sell gang busters.

No Xbox games.

I'm guessing my Monster Hunter: World purchase for the Xbox One X counts in the total that put it on the list (along with all those other multiplats on the list that also are on Xbox)

If you mean MS exclusives, then yeah, no Xbox games. I don't expect that to change anytime soon, other than Forza Horizon 4 will be on the list.

Last edited:

Good thing I don't care about GTA or Mario Kart because the sequels for those won't be made for years.
The only month they have on lock is September.
October can easily be Switch
November can easily be Switch or Xbox One

I think the Switch will dominate December with Smash, that will be a system seller and Pokemon will push the Switch too. I'm thinking you're correct for Sept, Oct, Nov though too many good games on PS4 coming out over those months.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
There it is! You found the one interesting thing in the chart.

Looks like a very mediocre game at best. Strength of the license I suppose.
Those games are better than you'd expect. Bandai Namco has dialed in the formula to the point that they're a reliable bet if you enjoy the mechanics. The same applies to their other Anime games (from what I've experienced).

The last one I played was on 360, admittedly, but I have no interest in Naruto and still enjoyed the heck out of it. Super colorful, too.

I greatly anticipate the PS4's performance this month. Spider-Man had such a fantastic 2nd week hold in the UK and Japan. The PS4 might end up having its 2nd best September after Sept. 2014 (the month of Destiny 1).

thelastword

Banned
Year To Date
  1. Far Cry 5
  2. God of War
  3. Monster Hunter: World
  4. Madden NFL 19^
  5. Grand Theft Auto V
  6. Call of Duty: WWII
  7. Dragon Ball: Fighterz
  8. Mario Kart 8*
  9. NBA 2K18
  10. Super Mario Odyssey*

If GOW is number 2 on the best sellers for this year over DBZ and Monster Hunter, then it's clear it has sold 10 million already worldwide...It was already way over 5 million in it's launch month and has kept the momentum ever since then.....

https://venturebeat.com/2018/08/20/monster-hunter-world-sales-roar-to-10-million-after-pc-launch/

Top Bottom