• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2006

Striek

Would a serious, fact-founded post be too much to ask from you?

This is quite the theme amongst you guys. Ignore, ignore, lol emoticon etc.

Edit; Oh you edited, thats something, my rebuttal in a bit.

Striek said:
No one is discussing publishers opinions in this thread. Faults with the platform are being explored. And the tie-ratio is important in establishing where the problem lies (PSP - hardware) with a platform. Also it absolutely shatters the 'PSP owners don't buy games myth'.

Publishers of PSP games aren't likely to care that their titles aren't all million sellers blitzing the top 40, you know, contrary to this thread.

As much or more than the DS, though. Hmm.

I truly believe that you are delusional. PSP software sales have been shit for this year. Only one new title (Madden 07) sold well (scroll back to page 17 if you doubt me). MGPO was a failure. VCS sold a fraction of LCS. DS hardware and software really took off over the last few months while only PSP hardware sold.

People used to buy new PSP software, but it's evident now that they aren't buying the big new games at full price. 4 of the top 5 sellers were budget titles from last year.

Branduil

I'm sure the third party tie-ratio on the DS has nothnig to do with most 3rd-party efforts being crap.

This is also ignoring the fact that it costs much more money to develop a PSP game.

Square2005 said:
Not in America!
I'm upset w/ NOA, they made this same mistake w/ the GC (shipment shortages from late December thru the following March) and they could never make up for it! The SNES & N64 launches were near perfect, I know they can do it but apparently not when launching WW...

I'm starting to believe, more and more, the next-gen winner in America will be Micro$oft!!
The company that stole and destroyed the most respected developer in the 90s... RARE Ltd (yes, even more than NCL)! And now there are rumors Micro$oft may do the same to Capcom!?
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

Who cares. GC started off better...where has that gotten it? DS was trailing behind the PSP early, now what are the results? Let me guess, you pick the winner of the football game on the basis of whoever has a one touchdown lead in the 1st quarter?

NintendosBooger said:
Who cares. GC started off better...where has that gotten it? DS was trailing behind the PSP early, now what are the results? Let me guess, you pick the winner of the football game on the basis of whoever has a one touchdown lead in the 1st quarter?

Actually, it's a fact that the team that scores first wins more often. I don't have the percentage, but it's significant.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
mmlemay said:
Actually, it's a fact that the team that scores first wins more often. I don't have the percentage, but it's significant.
Ds was an exception to that rule, so its just as possible that wii can be an exception too. DS started slow and now its comfortably beating PSP. Wii should be able to keep up with PS3 and XBox throughout of 2007. Nintendo just had a problem with shortages. Wii looks like its going to be a lot more popular than GC was, so it shouldnt have a problem selling as long as there is stock.

Armitage said:
Of course, they have a 1-0 lead at that point.

1 point touchdown - nice!!!

Mario said:
Looks like it is doing alright from the numbers I have seen, in both the US as well as Japan.

"Failure" might be too strong of a word, but it'd definitely not doing selling like hotcakes, which is exactly what the biggest PSP game of the Christmas season SHOULD be selling like. Also, I'm fully aware that it's selling okay in Japan, but this is an NPD thread, which means US sales only.

psycho_snake said:
Ds was an exception to that rule, so its just as possible that wii can be an exception too. DS started slow and now its comfortably beating PSP. Wii should be able to keep up with PS3 and XBox throughout of 2007. Nintendo just had a problem with shortages. Wii looks like its going to be a lot more popular than GC was, so it shouldnt have a problem selling as long as there is stock.

There is a signficant difference, though. The DS started slowly with little hype because the software was shit and the hardware needed work. Once good software began to come out, and ESPECIALLY when the DS Lite was released, sales took off. PSP was just the opposite.

On the other hand, the Wii started with a huge bang and tons of hype with Zelda and Wii Sports, both of which are proving to be massive system-sellers.

Speevy

Banned
Square2005 said:
The company that stole and destroyed the most respected developer in the 90s... RARE Ltd

Yeah, not being forced to use N64-derived gameplay engines and mascot characters has completely obliterated Rare.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Square2005 said:
Not in America!
I'm upset w/ NOA, they made this same mistake w/ the GC (shipment shortages from late December thru the following March) and they could never make up for it! The SNES & N64 launches were near perfect, I know they can do it but apparently not when launching WW...

I'm starting to believe, more and more, the next-gen winner in America will be Micro$oft!!
The company that stole and destroyed the most respected developer in the 90s... RARE Ltd (yes, even more than NCL)! And now there are rumors Micro$oft may do the same to Capcom!?

**** that, if anything Rare is actually putting out games on a semi-regular basis and Viva Pinata is one hell of a game. They keep up that quality and all will be forgiven from them.

NintendosBooger said:
Who cares.

See...that's the attitude about Rare these days but those who weren't in their diapers (no offense) during the 32/64-bit days know how much respect everyone had for Rare. Rare games, on average, sold 1,200,000 b/w 1994-2002 and since it's been less than 200,000! (yeah, during the ban I calculated all there game sales up, including GB/GBC).
That drop isn't significant to you...!?
They have had so much potential...

GC started off better...where has that gotten it?
Good point so they shouldn't have done worse than GC...

DS was trailing behind the PSP early, now what are the results?
Nope, DS was always ahead PSP and couldn't have pulled further ahead w/o DS Lite.
Wii is behind 3.5m, there's no comparison w/ the DS at this point. Maybe there needs to be a Wii Lite re-design...

Let me guess, you pick the winner of the football game on the basis of whoever has a one touchdown lead in the 1st quarter?
It's more like a 24-point lead before the end of the first quarter!

Striek

Ethelred, the last full NPD disclosure we got (or at least, that I saw, being June) still had the PSP selling more games per unit sold than the NDS even for that month (actually, a LOT more). I tried dragging up the old thread but NPD threads seem to have been deleted off of GAF.

Rest assured, even at the time people were arguing the same things.

You can argue the PSP isn't worth it because it doesn't sell enough hardware for software to be profitable, but you can't say people aren't buying games for the PSPs out there.

mmlemay said:
People used to buy new PSP software, but it's evident now that they aren't buying the big new games at full price.
Eh, I don't want to get banned for reposting deleted NPD figures, but uh, the >100k PSP list bunkum posted earlier in this thread says otherwise (it was a list that would indicate pretty good PSP software sales for the month too, sad it is we no longer get full disclosure).

No minds get changed in these threads of course, and I believe you and everyone else equally delusional (amongst other things ;)) as you believe me, I assure you.

Without all the facts I think we're going to just have to disagree.

VALIS

Square2005 said:

nelson.gif

Nyah hah!

Square2005 said:
]
...stupid WW launch! if NCL had launched PAL in March (XB360 isn't a threat there) there wouldn't have been these shortages (sorry Euro. Nintendo fans)!!

They're repeating the same mistakes of the Gamecube!

(...and this is coming from a Nintendo fanboy.)
do you really believe in Europe Gamecube sold more than Xbox ? If so.. well you're really, truly, wrong :D

Striek said:
Ethelred, the last full NPD disclosure we got (or at least, that I saw, being June) still had the PSP selling more games per unit sold than the NDS even for that month (actually, a LOT more). I tried dragging up the old thread but NPD threads seem to have been deleted off of GAF.

You can argue the PSP isn't worth it because it doesn't sell enough hardware for software to be profitable, but you can't say people aren't buying games for the PSPs out there.

Eh, I don't want to get banned for reposting deleted NPD figures, but uh, the >100k PSP list bunkum posted earlier in this thread says otherwise (it was a list that would indicate pretty good PSP software sales for the month too, sad it is we no longer get full disclosure).

No minds get changed in these threads of course, and I believe you and everyone else equally delusional (amongst other things ;)) as you believe me, I assure you.

Without all the facts I think we're going to just have to disagree.

Selling more than 100k does NOT equal success, especially with the MUCH higher PSP development costs. You still haven't addressed the fact that sales of new products such as VCS are way off in comparison to their predecessors.

Hiro_Kunimi_80 said:
do you really believe in Europe Gamecube sold more than Xbox ? If so.. well you're really, truly, wrong :D

No, believe me I try to keep track of things like that. Nintendo has always been last place in Europe but XB360 is tracking the same as XB was and PS3 hasn't launched so what could Nintendo be afraid of happening in Europe more so than what could happen w/n the States?

ethelred

Striek said:

June was the first month the DS started to seriously take off in the US, too... like I said, in later months the trending was pretty damned obvious. PSP software was stagnant or declining, while DS software was shooting up.

Feel free to compare June numbers to the stuff Sonycowboy posted in October. Now tack on two more months (two months where many many articles have cited strong DS software sales) with that trending, and to actually suggest that the PSP software is still selling evenly or even ahead of the DS is just silly, and deliberately ignoring all available information.

Striek said:

I never said the PSP isn't worth it. Never said the hardware isn't profitable (Sony has said it is, haven't they? I don't see any reason to dispute that). I just said the software sales aren't that hot and they're most certainly not still equalling the DS.

But, as I said, you can feel free to believe whatever you like.

Striek said:

Yeah... but it's December. Why not go back and look at last December's sales for comparison? Why not look at the "top PSP sellers" list that doesn't show 2006 games breaking through?

Square2005 said:
NOA IS GIVING NEXT-GEN TO MICROSOFT!
...stupid WW launch! if NCL had launched PAL in March (XB360 isn't a threat there) there wouldn't have been these shortages (sorry Euro. Nintendo fans)!!

Square2005 said:
I'm upset w/ NOA, they made this same mistake w/ the GC (shipment shortages from late December thru the following March) and they could never make up for it!
Instead of the mistake of letting MS get more ahead in NA, you suggest they repeat the mistake of a late launch in Europe? Do you think getting the jump on Sony in Europe is meaningless?

In 2001 they were launching right alongside Microsoft in the US. A few hundred thousand more units to keep them even then might've had a long-term impact. In this case, Microsoft launched a year earlier and had a lead of millions. A few hundred thousand wouldn't have such impact. At the end of 2001 it was something like 1.4 million Xbox versus 1.2 million GCN. At the end of 2006 it's 4.5 million X360 versus 1.1 million Wii. Would things really be that much different if it were 4.5 million X360 versus 1.5 million Wii?

NintendosBooger said:
DS was trailing behind the PSP early, now what are the results?
Well, not really. In both Japan and NA there was a period where the weekly/monthly sales were in PSP's favor, but due to the DS's big launch they always remained in the lead.

Square2005 said:
No, believe me I try to keep track of things like that. Nintendo has always been last place in Europe but XB360 is tracking the same as XB was and PS3 hasn't launched so what could Nintendo be afraid of happening in Europe more so than what could happen w/n the States?
i believe you, but anyway.. you're so wrong about that :D X360 is doing a lot better than previous one, not good as "sony playstation " of course, but a good improvement over xbox.

Nintendo has to shoot for first place in Japan, for them, now is really the best way to sell a lot of wii. Japan > Usa >>>> Euro

Striek

mmlemay said:
Selling more than 100k does NOT equal success, especially with the MUCH higher PSP development costs. You still haven't addressed the fact that sales of new products such as VCS are way off in comparison to their predecessors.
Personally, its not my intention to argue what is or isn't a success (and I wouldn't base success on one months sales if it was), and I certainly don't care how product lines compare. If anything, a more even distribution of sales is preferable to me. I was merely commenting that the bulk of the PSPs' top sellers in December were new titles.

Again, all I'm arguing is how much games sell with each console. The tie-ratio.

ethelred said:
like I said, in later months the trending was pretty damned obvious.
Indeed, the DS had more in the top 40 than it had had before, the PSP had the same amount (0, or 1 if it was a good month). But mayhap thats indicative of nothing, ala June?

ethelred said:
PSP software is still selling evenly or even ahead of the DS is just silly
I'm going to assume you do realise this is about the tie-ratio? Just checking to see you haven't crossed a wire somewhere up in my first reply ("more than the DS" <- referring to each of those 'people'). I guess you know since you responded to my post in the first place.

And to that end, I not only believe its not 'silly', its probable.

ethelred said:
Yeah... but it's December.
Interesting here, PSP had less hardware sales which would obvious correlate to less software sales, but the amount of 100k titles was up this year, but last year PSP had 5 over 200k. I'm not at all sure where it stands to tell you the truth.

ethelred said:
Why not look at the "top PSP sellers" list that doesn't show 2006 games breaking through?
I think its interesting to note that the 4 released in 2005 were released in late 2005. Its obvious even now that a place in 2007s list will be held by a 2006 title.

Is it important in some way though?

Indeed, believe what you'd like. We disagree.

Its an interesting and enjoyable argument for me at least, but I've had my share for this month :p

JoshuaJSlone said:
Instead of the mistake of letting MS get more ahead in NA, you suggest they repeat the mistake of a late launch in Europe? Do you think getting the jump on Sony in Europe is meaningless?.
I don't see Nintendo ever being no. 1 in Europe (besides w/ HHs)...
It's either Sony, Sega, or PC gaming over there...

In 2001 they were launching right alongside Microsoft in the US. A few hundred thousand more units to keep them even then might've had a long-term impact. In this case, Microsoft launched a year earlier and had a lead of millions. A few hundred thousand wouldn't have such impact. At the end of 2001 it was something like 1.4 million Xbox versus 1.2 million GCN. At the end of 2006 it's 4.5 million X360 versus 1.1 million Wii. Would things really be that much different if it were 4.5 million X360 versus 1.5 million Wii?
No but if it were closer to 1.8m (as Pachter predicted), ie. closer to N64, it would've been very symbolic of Nintendo's resurrection and (I thinK) impress the press/developers w/ Nintendo's ability to handle shipments/shortages (much better than Sony). Now many may say "Nintendo can't do much better than Sony w/ their PS3 disaster and heck it's even behind Gamecube w/ shortages continuing thru January just like GC..."
(undertand what I'm trying to say?)

Striek said:
Interesting here, PSP had less hardware sales which would obvious correlate to less software sales, but the amount of 100k titles was up this year
Less hardware sales December 2006 than December 2005: yes. But millions more PSP total than in December 2005.

Square2005 said:
No but if it were closer to 1.8m (as Pachter predicted), ie. closer to N64, it would've been very symbolic of Nintendo's resurrection and (I thinK) impress the press/developers w/ Nintendo's ability to handle shipments/shortages (much better than Sony). Now many may say "Nintendo can't do much better than Sony w/ their PS3 disaster and heck it's even behind Gamecube w/ shortages continuing thru January just like GC..."
(undertand what I'm trying to say?)
So what you're trying to say is that by beating the NA and Japanese launches of PS3 by hundreds of thousands in each territory while additionally launching in Europe, by beating Microsoft's 2005 worldwide launch several times over, press and developers think Wii shipments are just a step above disaster. However, if they'd had the exact same number of hardware units allocated differently worldwide, they'd take it as a symbolic sign of resurrection?

Considering Nintendo remains firm on the "6 million by March" bit, don't you think predicting GCN levels of January shortage is a bit early? If they think they can sell another 2-3 million in 3 months, surely they must anticipate besting GCN's Q1 2002 NA sales several times over?

mmlemay said:
Jesus Christ. Does anyone actually read these days? This misconception has been corrected at least a dozen times in this thread. Numbers from Wal-Mart are estimated.

I'm tired and am too ADD to read this entire thread. So to answer your question, blue.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Striek said:
I think its interesting to note that the 4 released in 2005 were released in late 2005. Its obvious even now that a place in 2007s list will be held by a 2006 title.

Is it important in some way though?

Indeed, believe what you'd like. We disagree.
Yes we are all aware that some games continue to sell well in the next year, especially after some price drops, ethelred's point was that new software is no longer selling as well as they would at release anymore and the top PSP sellers for 2006 is proof. Weren't there also big PSP titles released in the first three quarters of the year? When will they show up? In other words, you are the delusional one if you can't see how PSP software sales are declining.

Striek

Eh, I didn't want to post again in this thread. But why do they have to show up? Its irrevelant to how software is performing if its just a result of it being more dispersed. Pretty much all the 'big' titles for 2006 did 100-200k. I'm not going to judge if that was a 'success', I'm as shocked as anyone VCS didn't do 500k+, but I would note that there was simply a lot more titles in that group than in 2005. As there should be.

I'm not sure what the DS is going to be, but upto 3/5 top titles could be from 2005, no? Will you give it the same bleak outlook?

You're simply ignoring my points on purpose or not comprehending them. Its not worth it, you believe what you want.

ethelred

jj984jj said:
Yes we are all aware that some games continue to sell well in the next year, especially after some price drops, ethelred's point was that new software is no longer selling as well as they would at release anymore and the top PSP sellers for 2006 is proof. Weren't there also big PSP titles released in the first three quarters of the year? When will they show up? In other words, you are the delusional one if you can't see how PSP software sales are declining.

Right. We know that not a single PSP game released this year sold over 312k (from here), but we're supposed to go with "people are buying lots and lots of games." Okay.

Sure, games sell throughout the year, but November and December are the two biggest months of the year in terms of sales, and people are still trying to spin software when even after November and December not a single game could get to that low margin?

Striek said:
I'm not sure what the DS is going to be, but upto 3/5 top titles could be from 2005, no? Will you give it the same bleak outlook?

I don't think so, no. We know NSMB sold over two million this year (430k in December), we know Brain Age sold over a million this year, and we know Yoshi's Island sold 407k in December... it looks mostly like 2006 stuff is dominating here.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
mmlemay said:
"Failure" might be too strong of a word, but it'd definitely not doing selling like hotcakes, which is exactly what the biggest PSP game of the Christmas season SHOULD be selling like. Also, I'm fully aware that it's selling okay in Japan, but this is an NPD thread, which means US sales only.

1) are you living in 2004 or something? its been known for QUITE a while that PSP games aren't selling extraordinarily no matter the name behind the particular game. MGS:pO's numbers are admirable in their own right.

2) you said the game is a failure. you didn't say "MGS:pO is a failure in North America." Which means all territories no matter where its released. Just because its "in an NPD thread" don't mean anything. We're still on a forum where we talk about all sales numbers.

Square2005 said:
So now Wii is tracking behind GC...nice job NOA!

WORST AMERICAN NINTENDO LAUNCH SINCE TEH NES!!!
...and there was so much potential!

NOA IS GIVING NEXT-GEN TO MICROSOFT!

(...and this is coming from a Nintendo fanboy.)

Oh man....this thread is degenerating...

davepoobond said:
2) you said the game is a failure. you didn't say "MGS:pO is a failure in North America." Which means all territories no matter where its released. Just because its "in an NPD thread" don't mean anything. We're still on a forum where we talk about all sales numbers.

Uh... no.

quetz67

Banned
Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Oh man....this thread is degenerating...
But he is right about Nintendo being underestimating the logistics of a worldwide launch...now all big 3 had to learn that lesson

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
mmlemay said:

I'm still not sure what you mean. I have the figures for December (we are an NPD subscriber), and while your defintion of "hotcakes" may vary, its up there amongst the top selling titles.

Its not a failure. Its not even selling badly by any stretch of the imagination.

JoshuaJSlone said:
So what you're trying to say is that by beating the NA and Japanese launches of PS3 by hundreds of thousands in each territory while additionally launching in Europe, by beating Microsoft's 2005 worldwide launch several times over, press and developers think Wii shipments are just a step above disaster. However, if they'd had the exact same number of hardware units allocated differently worldwide, they'd take it as a symbolic sign of resurrection?

Considering Nintendo remains firm on the "6 million by March" bit, don't you think predicting GCN levels of January shortage is a bit early? If they think they can sell another 2-3 million in 3 months, surely they must anticipate besting GCN's Q1 2002 NA sales several times over?

Well...
...when you put it that way, I suppose it doesn't seem so bad...

...we'll see what happens in January but the month is half over and still we have Wii shortages (just like GC). Has anyone seen wiis readily available yet? I believe last Sunday's ads were still hesitant to advertise the Wii.

Another thing NOA must take notice: There must be a price drop as soon as XB360 announces theirs! NOA handled this really well in Mar. 97 w/ an N64 price drop immediately followed PSX (just as they had done w/ the SNES in May '92, only 3 days after Sega) and the N64 was able to lead most of the rest of the year (that is until FFVII) same w/ SNES.
But they hesitated w/ GC, not announcing one at E3 (as Sony/Micro$oft had done) but waiting until the end of May, pushing them further back to 3rd ...stupid, stupid.

Since the smoke has cleared around this thread, going back looking at the casulties I'm amazed at how many gaffers were sent to banworld. I counted 12 unique bans just w/n teh first six pages including, the GAF's pride, bunkum!
What's up with that? Who's the new banhappy mod?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
how is wii owning everyone else when its only sold 100k more than PS3 in December? Sure the launch units were way better but Sony supply seems better than Nintendo - Maybe Nintendo has less production capacity and had just been stockpiling for launch for longer?

Might suggest Nintendo can't maintain that November volume, or just that follow up stock is stuck on boats somewhere?

jett

D-Member
Hiro_Kunimi_80 said:

In any case, I believe the difference between the two is pretty much minimal in Europe. :p

Fady K

Its a sad thing really about the PSP software sales...the DS software sales are way ahead obviously. And this really sucks cause software-wise, this year ROCKED for the PSP JUST AS MUCH AS DS. People just wont buy the software. Is it the price of the PSP? Is it that its easy to find games for free online at some place and download the whole thing onto your memory stick? I dont know what it is, but it really sucks when the machine sells almost a million in a month and MGS: PO doesnt even rack up 500k in the US alone. Life is so unfair :lol

sphinx said:
I do want to add:

As much as I am a huge nintendo fan, I am kind of glad that the Wii is not that ahead in the competition.

just see how nintendo has begun to stop caring about the DS, they tried REALLY hard to get the DS ahead of the PSP with a price cut, different colors bundled with great titles, a redesign, and cool 1st party software. All of that has stopped now that DS is leading. Now no new colors, no sequels to the big names, now is up to square enix and or 3rd parties to keep the platform as the leading handheld.

Wii has A LOT to prove. We were promised a revolutionary FPS, I stillwant it . I am not sure if the controls have already been confirmed to be absolutely superior to the competitor, like some industry insiders said.

QFMFT. Well said brother.

I am with you on all 3 of your points. I was once convinced that new DSL colours will be coming to EU. Even after BT and Animal crossing, like most predicted it wouldn't do well in the West. I still want a Navy Blue DSL, I don't think its coming anymore.

About the FPS, I have been wetting myself silly at the thought of counter strike on Wii. Just imagine that. If Iwata would only do something about it. TBH I don't trust valve or whoever it is, to do a good nintendo version, so Iwata would have to send over some programmers there, like they did on Metroid Prime and YIDS

This is crap. Boring.

I want a full NPD. There's hardly anything to talk about. The weekly media-creates are much better, at least we get a 1-30, even if they haven't numbers for all.

909er

jett said:
In any case, I believe the difference between the two is pretty much minimal in Europe. :p

Last numbers had Xbox leading GC by 1.3 million I believe. In Europe. While the difference between the 2 and the PS2 were huge, the Xbox GC difference wasn't small either.

909er

JoshuaJSlone said:
Less hardware sales December 2006 than December 2005: yes. But millions more PSP total than in December 2005.

I'd like to point out that Nintendo was also estimating final WW sales of GC at 50 million, so it shows people make mistakes.

The question is, will Wii maintain it's momentum. I see the same thing happening as the Xbox 360, where the pent up demand just doesn't materialize in sales if you miss the holiday season.

JoshuaJSlone said:

Do you honestly believe that the Wii will sell ~1 million a month the next 3 months in NA?

lexi

Banned
DeaconKnowledge said:
What's with PSP enthusiasts low expectations for the handheld? I just don't get it.

It seems the general theme gradually went from 'gaming ghetto' to 'its doing pretty well considering its up against a nintendo handheld'

Top Bottom