• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2006

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
REQUEST:

Lifetime sales of every Rare game released.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Gahiggidy said:
Gahiggidy
My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 30k Wii within minutes of opening.

I just noticed that has some bad grammer. Please edit it to read...

Gahiggidy's editor said:
Gahiggidy
My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", which sold 30k Wii within minutes of opening.

Fady K

AniHawk said:
The hardware keeps selling, but the software is doing pretty awful. I wouldn't be surprised if VCS was barely over 100k for the month of December.

Yeah, i cant argue about the software. VCS doing less than 500k since release is pretty bad for such a franchise. Ill wait for some official info first though.

Xeke said:
As was said many times already, you are aware that it sold LESS this year than last year when it outsold the DS over the same period?

Yeah, i know.

ziran

so what are people estimtating for the worldwide totals by the end of 2006?

i think roughly:

ds ~34 million
- na ~10 million
- japan ~14 million
- europe and the rest ~10 million

psp ~19 million
- na ~7.5 million
- japan ~4.5 million
- europe and the rest ~7 million

360 ~8.5 million
- na ~5 million
- japan ~300k
- europe and the rest ~3 million

Wii ~2.8 million
- na ~1.2 million
- japan ~1 million
- europe and the rest ~600k

PS3 ~1.3 million
- na ~800k
- japan ~500k

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
DS ~ 35m
Japan ~ 14m
NA ~ 10m
Europe ~ 10m
Others ~ 1m

PSP ~ 18.7m
Japan ~ 4.5m
NA ~ 7.5m
Europe ~ 6m
Others ~ 0.7m

X360 ~ 7.8m
Japan ~ 0.3m
NA ~ 5m
Europe ~ 2.2m
Others ~ 0.3m

Wii ~ 3.1m
Japan ~ 1m
NA ~ 1.2m
Europe ~ 0.8m
Others ~ 0.1m

PS3 ~ 1.3m
Japan ~ 0.5m
NA ~ 0.8m

starship said:
DS ~ 35m
Japan ~ 14m
NA ~ 10m
Europe ~ 10m
Others ~ 1m

PSP ~ 18.7m
Japan ~ 4.5m
NA ~ 7.5m
Europe ~ 6m
Others ~ 0.7m

X360 ~ 7.8m
Japan ~ 0.3m
NA ~ 5m
Europe ~ 2.2m
Others ~ 0.3m

Wii ~ 3.1m
Japan ~ 1m
NA ~ 1.2m
Europe ~ 0.8m
Others ~ 0.1m

PS3 ~ 1.3m
Japan ~ 0.5m
NA ~ 0.8m

X2

donny2112

Finally got to reading this thread. :)

Striek said:
Are US sales now above Xbox LTD (same timeframe)?

No. About 4.6 million for the Xbox in the same timeframe.

crazy buttocks on a train said:
just showing solidarlirty for bunkum

Ditto.

Arsenal said:
Are we seriously not allowed to even add up numbers from obviously public data and post them now without sourcing them all?

I believe that is correct.

Karg said:

Those are worldwide numbers. I think the guy you were responding to was talking about just U.S. numbers.

starship said:
DS ~ 35m
Japan ~ 14m
NA ~ 10m
Europe ~ 10m
Others ~ 1m

PSP ~ 18.7m
Japan ~ 4.5m
NA ~ 7.5m
Europe ~ 6m
Others ~ 0.7m

X360 ~ 7.8m
Japan ~ 0.3m
NA ~ 5m
Europe ~ 2.2m
Others ~ 0.3m

Wii ~ 3.1m
Japan ~ 1m
NA ~ 1.2m
Europe ~ 0.8m
Others ~ 0.1m

PS3 ~ 1.3m
Japan ~ 0.5m
NA ~ 0.8m

Those the real numbers?

andthebeatgoeson

Square2005 said:
Castlevania: PoR outsold MGS: PO by 25%...

Edit: I think someone was asking about this earlier...
It's a damn good game. It needs decent sales. But why do I get the impression that this post just means both sold shitty.

Jammy

Banned
skinnyrattler said:
It's a damn good game. It needs decent sales. But why do I get the impression that this post just means both sold shitty.

Castlevania games have far lower standards sales-wise than MGS games do. Both didn't sell the amount they should have, but one did well/expected while the other did surprisingly low.

skinnyrattler said:

No, actually...

Ah what the hey:
PoR - 150k
MGS:pO - 120k

...and that's all you'll get outta me.
no more ban risking.

castle007

Banned
skinnyrattler said:
Wow, is that the best selling portable castlevania?

no,
I think COTM did around 600,000. It was a GBA launch title

Edit: according to Konami, they SHIPPED 500,000 copies of COTM to NA

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
skinnyrattler said:
Wow, is that the best selling portable castlevania?

Without having access to any actual hard numbers, I think Dawn of Souls did ~300k. Circle of the Moon did 500-600k. I think PoR has aleady outsold Harmony/Aria though, based on the numbers that Square just posted.

Jammy

Banned
Man, I was just looking at launch window (first two months) numbers for GCN, Xbox, and PS2, and while Wii games look like they've performed well, GCN had better launch figures, especially when it came to software. 360 might be comparable to Xbox, I think, but PS3 is way behind PS2.

Should we be comparing Wii launch numbers to GCN launch numbers or PS3 launch numbers? If we compare to something like the PS3, the Wii did very well, but even it didn't match the small Cube.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Jammy said:
Man, I was just looking at launch window (first two months) numbers for GCN, Xbox, and PS2, and while Wii games look like they've performed well, GCN had better launch figures, especially when it came to software. 360 might be comparable to Xbox, I think, but PS3 is way behind PS2.

Should we be comparing Wii launch numbers to GCN launch numbers or PS3 launch numbers? If we compare to something like the PS3, the Wii did very well, but even it didn't match the small Cube.

Well, we can't really discuss much of that in US terms, since no discussable-on-GAF numbers for Wii games other than Zelda exist. Anecdotally, though, we know that one month after launch, Wii Sports is over a million copies (yeah, I know, packin!) and Zelda is bordering on 1 million (1.5 million if you count GC).

Below these two, we can't discuss because there's no NPD. However recent musings have suggested that Red Steel is in the works and one would definitely stand to figure that Red Steel must have hit 200k-300k in the US for this to be the case. When I emailed Atlus a little while ago they said that the numbers they have so far suggest Trauma Center has passed the DS version, which puts it above 100k.

How did the GC do at launch? It had Rogue Leader, Luigi's Mansion, and Wave Race, right? Anything else? Super Monkey Ball?

But either way, your post is untrue in Japan. By next month, the Wii will have had more million sellers than the GameCube in Japan. Also, the Wii has reached (?)1/5th of the GameCube's life-to-date in Australia. European information seems to show Wii trending much higher than GC.

Square2005 said:
No, actually...

Ah what the hey:
PoR - 150k

no more ban risking.

Please stop playing Mr. Exclusive. Do you think the numbers are only on GAF, and not anywhere else?

The Wii either didn't sell as much as the internet would have you believe, or Nintendo didn't sell as much as it said it did. There are really no other explanations and it is a shame that some of you can't come to grips with this.

Jammy

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
Well, we can't really discuss much of that in US terms, since no discussable-on-GAF numbers for Wii games other than Zelda exist. Anecdotally, though, we know that one month after launch, Wii Sports is over a million copies (yeah, I know, packin!) and Zelda is bordering on 1 million (1.5 million if you count GC).

Below these two, we can't discuss because there's no NPD. However recent musings have suggested that Red Steel is in the works and one would definitely stand to figure that Red Steel must have hit 200k-300k in the US for this to be the case. When I emailed Atlus a little while ago they said that the numbers they have so far suggest Trauma Center has passed the DS version, which puts it above 100k.

How did the GC do at launch? It had Rogue Leader, Luigi's Mansion, and Wave Race, right? Anything else? Super Monkey Ball?

But either way, your post is untrue in Japan. By next month, the Wii will have had more million sellers than the GameCube in Japan. Also, the Wii has reached (?)1/5th of the GameCube's life-to-date in Australia. European information seems to show Wii trending much higher than GC.

Well, you're right on the Wii software sales. I'm not sure how "discussable" NPD numbers are, but Trauma Center Wii has sold in two months what the DS version has sold total in its lifetime. Super Monkey Ball: BB has sold a tad better on Wii in comparison to the GCN launch, Red Steel has sold well over 200,000, and the other two games you listed (Wii Sports and Zelda) have given figures. By the way, Madden has done extremely similar also, but Activision has underperformed big-time with Tony Hawk. That might be a sign of a stagnating series/sales more than anything, though.

I'd think that paragraph was appropriate. No exact figures were given... just slight comparisons were made, and if you'd ask me for a source, I'd say VGCharts
which it isn't
. :lol

Anyhow, GCN had some big hitters early on. A great Star Wars game, Mario spin-off, Pikmin, and freaking Super Smash Bros. Melee all were out within a month of each other.

ethelred

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
The Wii either didn't sell as much as the internet would have you believe, or Nintendo didn't sell as much as it said it did. There are really no other explanations and it is a shame that some of you can't come to grips with this.

I'm not quite sure I understand what you're saying here. The system sold pretty much everything that was available in retail. So whatever was shipped and in stores is what they sold. What's your point?

Jammy said:
Well, you're right on the Wii software sales. I'm not sure how "discussable" NPD numbers are, but Trauma Center Wii has sold in two months what the DS version has sold total in its lifetime. Super Monkey Ball: BB has sold a tad better on Wii in comparison to the GCN launch, Red Steel has sold well over 200,000, and the other two games you listed (Wii Sports and Zelda) have given figures. By the way, Madden has done extremely similar also, but Activision has underperformed big-time with Tony Hawk. That might be a sign of a stagnating series/sales more than anything, though.

Anyhow, GCN had some big hitters early on. A great Star Wars game, Mario spin-off, Pikmin, and freaking Super Smash Bros. Melee all were out within a month of each other.

Activision may have underperformed with Tony Hawk, but bear in mind that Activision also had Marvel Ultimate Alliance and Call of Duty 3 at launch, too. Those two have done well. Trauma Center has done extremely well and personally I think it's likely to end up Atlus USA's best selling game ever. Super Monkey Ball's doing great. Red Steel and Rayman are both pulling in very strong numbers.

The numbers overall strike me as very, very good... and they're almost all for third party titles.

Deku

Banned
Tony Hawk didn't do well on the other 2 next-gen consoles either. But if you're looking at Activision's performance on Wii they did very well in comparison to the PS3 performance and they commanded a very significant amount of the Wii software market share which I didn't expect.

Deku said:
Tony Hawk didn't do well on the other 2 next-gen consoles either. But if you're looking at Activision's performance on Wii they did very well in comparison to the PS3 performance and they commanded a very significant amount of the Wii software market share which I didn't expect.

Tony Hawk should be a semi-annual event and not a yearly thing. Activision treats it as if it is Madden. The series has little place to go in terms of moving forward.

Odysseus

Banned
Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
Tony Hawk should be a semi-annual event and not a yearly thing. Activision treats it as if it is Madden. The series has little place to go in terms of moving forward.

wouldn't that be twice a year?

edit: today's dictionary word, biennial. every two years.

Jammy

Banned
ethelred said:
Activision may have underperformed with Tony Hawk, but bear in mind that Activision also had Marvel Ultimate Alliance and Call of Duty 3 at launch, too. Those two have done well. Trauma Center has done extremely well and personally I think it's likely to end up Atlus USA's best selling game ever. Super Monkey Ball's doing great. Red Steel and Rayman are both pulling in very strong numbers.

The numbers overall strike me as very, very good... and they're almost all for third party titles.

That is very true.

Also, would the fact that the GCN was considered "next-generation" in terms of development costs/graphics come into account? Pretty much every developer now can create games that look like Wii games and do it on Wii architexture with ease.

Fio

Square2005 said:
No, actually...

Ah what the hey:
PoR - 150k

no more ban risking.

I could see from here the big smile on face of Konami CEO's. Maybe with that they consider developing a playable version of Winning Eleven on NDS.

Pud

Banned
ethelred said:
I'm not quite sure I understand what you're saying here. The system sold pretty much everything that was available in retail. So whatever was shipped and in stores is what they sold. What's your point?

His point is pretty easy to come across, if you see the other thread he posted the exact same thing in. Though Nintendo didn't ship as many as planned, they have sold out of all of it.

The better-than-average titles all sold better-than-average, so I'd say it was a decent launch for most of the third parties involved. Nintendo was smart to delay Metroid and stagger their killer VC titles, as to make third parties happier. They always bitch about having to compete with Nintendo's often-stellar first-party offerings. :lol Though I believe that Tony Hawk should've done better, as IMO aside from the graphics it's a better title than Project 8. Oh, and 60FPS > 18FPS (P8) despite the chasm in visual quality between the 2. It was a fun little title, despite it being a bit shallow. The same can be said for many of the Wii launch titles anyway (CoD3, while controlling very well, was raped of any multiplayer content, for instance).

ethelred said:

I'm just trying to dispell some of those that claim some conspiracy or act as if the NPD is incomplete. It is clearly not, and some other issue has to be at play. Simply refuting the validity of the NPD outright is rather weaksauce.

Jammy said:

What are you basing this on?

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
I vaguely remembered for the GCN launch that Rogue Leader did crazy numbers (best selling Star Wars game up to that point for Lucasarts) and Monkey Ball putting up decent numbers (less frontloaded), but that was about it for third party sales until Sonic Adventure 2 came along the following year.

Deku

Banned
BorkBork said:
I vaguely remembered for the GCN launch that Rogue Leader did crazy numbers (best selling Star Wars game up to that point for Lucasarts) and Monkey Ball putting up decent numbers (less frontloaded), but that was about it for third party sales until Sonic Adventure 2 came along the following year.

Roughly 2 million pieces of software sold in December (based on ~3 tie ratio and 600k hardware sold). We already know Zelda TP sold around 500k about another ~80-90k for Excite Truck , the reset went to 3rd party sales.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Stumpokapow said:
When I emailed Atlus a little while ago they said that the numbers they have so far suggest Trauma Center has passed the DS version, which puts it above 100k.
I bet they mean in the same time frame and not in total.

Top Bottom