• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2007

VALIS

Snah said:
PS3 sales are quite strong. The numbers for the entire month of all hardware (sans the DS) look a bit low, however.

360, in its third Christmas season and with Halo 3 and other exclusives, only managed to outsell the PS3 by 460k with the lowest price point of entry being significantly lower than the PS3, and the PS3's most adopted model being the $499 version. Looking at it in terms of revenue, the PS3 outsold the Wii.

Pretty impressive numbers for the PS3, that's definitely sure. Now, given the sales gap in the US, it's pretty much guaranteed that worldwide the PS3 is outselling the 360. 2008 is where, in North America, PS3 starts outselling the 360 (especially as we get closer to the fall), barring any significant pricedrops by Microsoft.

:lol :lol :lol Here you go, jetjevons. Here comes the crazy brigade.

PS3 sales are embarrassing compared to the other two consoles. Hell, the other three consoles. The PS2 is still significantly outselling the PS3 more than a year into it's life and with two price drops!

can we get a SW top 50? or a top 50 for the year? i mean, i use that banned site just to have an idea, but it would be nice to have actual numbers.

is sonycowboy allowed to do that? how do you decide which requests to answer?

i'm dying to know nba 2k8 against live, 360 x ps3 x ps2. i just want to have an idea of how visual concepts is doing... i'm pretty sure this is the year they outsold crappy live

Busaiku

Jesse2040 said:
WOW, good stuff

Here is how TSE did. We were 100% accurate on software sales, wow, not too shabby

http://www.thesimexchange.com/blogpost.php?post_id=466
For those that don't wish to check the link, there're a few more numbers:
Mario Party DS (DS) - 385,700
Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles (Wii) - 147,600
Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings (DS) - 117,200
Half-Life 2: The Orange Box (PS3) - 56,500
Nights: Journey of Dreams (Wii) - 60,800
TimeShift (PS3) - 25,000

EDIT: Forgot Mass Effect.
Mass Effect (Xbox 360) - 401,000

mood

Chinner said:
X360 was supply constrained didn't you see all those useless x360 halo editions laying around that's practically the same as supply constrained.

Also my sources say that Mass Effect outsold Uncharted.

Awesome, Mass Effect solidified as another strong new IP for the Xbox.

Guy Legend

Chinner said:
I saw this chart on YCS. I know everyone loves charts here.
gamecubevsps3saleslol.png

What would this look like for worldwide sales?

kbear

Snah said:
PS3 sales are quite strong. The numbers for the entire month of all hardware (sans the DS) look a bit low, however.

360, in its third Christmas season and with Halo 3 and other exclusives, only managed to outsell the PS3 by 460k with the lowest price point of entry being significantly lower than the PS3, and the PS3's most adopted model being the $499 version. Looking at it in terms of revenue, the PS3 outsold the Wii.

Pretty impressive numbers for the PS3, that's definitely sure. Now, given the sales gap in the US, it's pretty much guaranteed that worldwide the PS3 is outselling the 360. 2008 is where, in North America, PS3 starts outselling the 360 (especially as we get closer to the fall), barring any significant pricedrops by Microsoft.
Totally agree. Considering how dire things were earlier this year, 800k doesn't seem bad at all. People shouldn't expect things to turn around in an instant. It's going to take some time. Sony is slowly but surely rectifying their mistakes and it's beginning to show in sales.

RBH

Snah said:

spinnin.gif

spinning-1.gif

quest

Not Banned from OT
Snah said:

So the PS3 had a price cut, new model and 3 AAA exclusives and still did not even come close the 360 numbers of last year. You can try and spin all you want but the PS3 had a horrible month in America.

Lets not forget shut out of the top 10 in software sales this month. Good thing epic made UT3 a PS3 exclusive it sold so well.

Chinner said:
X360 was supply constrained didn't you see all those useless x360 halo editions laying around that's practically the same as supply constrained.

Also my sources say that Mass Effect outsold Uncharted.
Mass Effect outsold Uncharted a long time ago.

Snah

Banned
mysticstylez said:
When the PS3 starts outselling the 360 as far as software is going, then we can talk.

Ok, so we'll be talking very soon then.

I'll look forward to hearing from you in a few months.

besada

Banned
Very nice numbers for everyone. Wowfuck at the DS, but I don't honestly have any surprise left. Eventually we'll all have DS's wired into our brains, I suspect.

PS3 did as good as you could reasonably expect for the most expensive machine on the market with virtually no big titles for sale in December.

I note with some amusement that Halo 3, the game that many people thought wouldn't do as well as its sires continues plowing ahead with ridiculous numbers.

CoD4 has got to be this year's biggest FPS monster, though.

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
LOL @ PS2 still selling... if ever the PS3 would get affordable to the masses... that thing will sell like hotcakes....

very happy with 360 numbers

Snah said:

you talk about the 360 not selling so well in its 3rd xmas. so isnt it really bad for the ps3 selling less than 800k in its second xmas while the 360 sold 1.1 million? and the ps3 had 2 price drops it should of sold over 1 million.

MaX_PL

Banned
snah switched from months on the bluray defense force over at OT and came back to the gaming side to defend the ps3 once again.

Flyguy

Snah said:

There's the Sony PR.

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
Can the economy really be in such bad of shape if we are buying games and consoles like this? lol
It is Wall Street lor that the movie industry blossomed during the great depression. Apparently people really need their escapism.

The videogame industry may continue to blossom during this recession (depression?).

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Busaiku said:
For those that don't wish to check the link, there're a few more numbers:
Mario Party DS (DS) - 385,700
Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles (Wii) - 147,600
Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings (DS) - 117,200
Nights: Journey of Dreams (Wii) - 60,800
TimeShift (PS3) - 25,000

Good RE:UC numbers. LTD at about 270K now

Actually higher NiGHTS numbers than I thought. Not that horrid.

The 360 still showing itself as the logical choice for next-gen development, with software and hardware sales like that it has a long and bountiful future ahead. The Wii, as always, impresses.

BobLoblaw

Banned
Have any PS3-only titles ever been in an NPD's top 10 software category? Great numbers for Nintendo, good numbers for Microsoft and ok numbers for Sony.

S

Shepherd

Unconfirmed Member
doicare said:
NO they are not off, sony's pr was accurate.

Sony`s PR says the PS3 sold 402,000 units from December 23rd to December 1st. The means they only sold 64,000 for all other weeks in November. Not possible.

Chinner

Banned
I just thought I'd tell you guys that I have no source for Mass Effect outselling Uncharted I just wanted to make you guys happy.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
jetjevons said:
What a boring NPD thread. No bitter tears. No meltdowns. No number spinning.
Snah said:

THIS **** Just got real:lol

NeoUltima

GAF Average Predictions said:
[PS2] 871,249 - ~230k too low.
[PSP] 1,036,582 - ~30k too low.
[PS3] 809,183 - ~12k too high.
[360] 1,346,046 - ~80k too high.
[GBA] 242,362 - Not listed.
[NDS] 2,351,355 - ~120k too low.
[WII] 1,637,618 ~300k too high.
GAF overestimating current gen consoles too much? Seems like it.

I personally am very surprised at the lowish Wii sales. I figured Nintendo would ramp production up to astronomical levels, at least for a short time. They must have realized that whatever they put on store shelves would sell. Shame PS3 couldn't break 800k as well. As little as the amount is, if ps3 sold just 2,300 more, it would have looked a lot better(you know, mentally in people's mind). 360 sales seem a bit low when you consider this was arguably 360's best year. I personally predicted 1,500,000 for it. PSP, DS, no real surprises there. PS2 numbers are surprising. Seems like a lot of people decided to pick it up as a cheaper Christmas gift. It sales a few months ago sure didn't indicate that it would sell 1,100,000.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
It got buried in the last page but this is a really sad number

come on

speculawyer said:
It is Wall Street lor that the movie industry blossomed during the great depression. Apparently people really need their escapism.

The videogame industry may continue to blossom during this recession (depression?).

Right now it is a slow growth period, techinically. A recession (root word: recede) is two consecutive periods of negative growth.

Hmm...according to what I have, the Wii just passed the GBA (at this point in its life) to become the fastest-selling US console or handheld ever...by 9 units.

kbear

quest said:
So the PS3 had a price cut, new model and 3 AAA exclusives and still did not even come close the 360 numbers of last year.
Correct me if I'm wrong but the 360 was priced at $299 & $399 this time last year. PS3's two SKUs are $399 & $499. It's not really a fair comparison.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Darunia said:
It got buried in the last page but this is a really sad number

come on

For some perspective, NiGHTS outsold it.

jman2050

kbear said:
Totally agree. Considering how dire things were earlier this year, 800k doesn't seem bad at all. People shouldn't expect things to turn around in an instant. It's going to take some time. Sony is slowly but surely rectifying their mistakes and it's beginning to show in sales.

You're just as dumb as he is.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
I noticed that we sold out of the feasible XBox 360's towards the end of the month. PS3's sold below expectations of most people, apparently even Sony themselves, too. It's too bad that the Wii couldn't have had more shipments in December, as they could and would've beaten any December records prior.

Halo 3 saw a big increase and I am truly surprised that CoD4 outsold SMG again.

Lobster

Banned
Mass Effect (Xbox 360) 401,000
Mario Party DS (DS) 385,700
Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles (Wii) 147,600
Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings (DS) 117,200
Half-Life 2: The Orange Box (PS3) 56,500
Nights: Journey of Dreams (Wii) 60,800
TimeShift (PS3) 25,000

GO RESIDENT EVIL UMBRELLA CHRONICLES!!!

GO GO GO!

RISE TO HEAVEN AND BRING US SOME MORE ResidentEvil GAMES FOR WII!

NeoUltima said:
GAF overestimating current gen consoles too much? Seems like it.

I personally am very surprised at the lowish Wii sales. I figured Nintendo would ramp production up to astronomical levels, at least for a short time. They must have realized that whatever they put on store shelves would sell. Shame PS3 couldn't break 800k as well. As little as the amount is, if ps3 sold just 2,300 more, it would have looked a lot better(you know, mentally in people's mind). 360 sales seem a bit low when you consider this was arguably 360's best year. I personally predicted 1,500,000 for it. PSP, DS, no real surprises there. PS2 numbers are surprising. Seems like a lot of people decided to pick it up as a cheaper Christmas gift. It sales a few months ago sure didn't indicate that it would sell 1,100,000.

Compare us to the analysts average and see what you get.

Odysseus

Banned
speculawyer said:

oh geez. now we know why you're name is specueconomist. i hope the irony isn't lost upin you when i say you're way too negative!

Snah said:
Ok, so we'll be talking very soon then.

I'll look forward to hearing from you in a few months.

CoD4 selling almost more units on the 360 this year than the PS3 system itself since it's US launch says you are wrong..

Guy Legend

quest said:
So the PS3 had a price cut, new model and 3 AAA exclusives and still did not even come close the 360 numbers of last year. You can try and spin all you want but the PS3 had a horrible month in America.

You're comparing PS3 sales this year to XB360 sales last year? The level of competition was much higher this December.

mood

Lobster said:
Mass Effect (Xbox 360) 401,000
Mario Party DS (DS) 385,700
Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles (Wii) 147,600
Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings (DS) 117,200
Half-Life 2: The Orange Box (PS3) 56,500
Nights: Journey of Dreams (Wii) 60,800
TimeShift (PS3) 25,000

Mass Erect!

Hunter D

Mrbob said:
Before anyone is proclaiming doom and gloom for the PS3 some more, did you notice 1.1 million PS2s being sold in December? PS2 is still a damn beast. I almost think the continued success of the PS2 is hurting the PS3 more than anything else.
I've been saying since before the PS3 launch that the PS2 would hurt it.

Top Bottom