• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2007

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Was this posted already?

Accessories

Finally, NPD showed that game accessories were up 37% to $621.6 million. Said Frazier, "All those hardware sales greatly helped the accessories category to realize a 52% increase over last years' sales. The Wii remote and the Wii Nunchuk combined for over 8.5 million in units sales last year, capturing the top two spots in accessories sales."

"A lot of folks are curious about the performance of the HD-DVD add-on from Microsoft," she said. "Life-to-date, 316K units of that accessory have been sold, representing a 3.5% attach rate to hardware sales."

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=17004

jetjevons said:
Are there any good "360 is a software monster" gifs?
6wxstbn.gif

Oh . . . I thought you said 360 software is a monster.

(Gif stolen from Crushed.)

oneHeero

kbear said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but the 360 was priced at $299 & $399 this time last year. PS3's two SKUs are $399 & $499. It's not really a fair comparison.
Some people just like to say they are abd numbers no matter what. I mean 800k @ 400-500 bucks, but its still just "ok" when being compared to 250-350 bucks.

test_account

XP-39C²
schuelma said:
Sony's P.R said it sold 1.2M until the end of the december. Let's say Canada is 10%, so it was 1.05M for the U.S alone. Now, let's take out Black Friday week sales. Let's say it was 150K. So it seems to me that for the 4 weeks of December, if you were to believe Sony's P.R, it should have been 900K sold. Now, add in the first week of January...I dunno, another 50-75K at least? If Sony's P.R was correct, they should have been close to a million IMO.

I dont see why Sony would lie about only 100k in difference, or why they would like about it at all. There were most likely different trackers/sources that was used so some difference can happend.

NeoUltima

TJ Spyke said:
I was just reading the first page of this thread, but how could anyone be dissapointed with Xbox 360 or Wii hardware sales? 1.26 million for Xbox 360 and 1.35 million for Wii is really damn good.
Compared to what they were predicted to sell, yes the numbers are somewhat disappointing.

Mrbob

speculawyer said:
It is not Modern v. WW2 that really made the difference . . . it is Infinity Ward v. (whoever did CoD3 . . Treyarch?) that mattered.

This is what I've said, but I kept on getting beat over the head by others who say peepz don't know who develops a game.

I disagree, based on these sales.

CoD5 will bomb comparatively.

besada

Banned
TJ Spyke said:
I was just reading the first page of this thread, but how could anyone be dissapointed with Xbox 360 or Wii hardware sales? 1.26 million for Xbox 360 and 1.35 million for Wii is really damn good. Holy shit at the Nintendo DS though. Did the Game Boy Advance ever have a month this good?

When the 360 outsold the Wii, one of the mods came in and talked about how disappointing its sales were. Welcome to NeoGAF.

TheRipDizz said:
I was going by historical trends from Nov to Dec. for the 360. It under sold. No biggie. I got the Wii shipment nearly spot on.
But What was your Wii prediction again,......wait for it....because Nintendo was unleashing the floodgates of Wiis they were holding back for Christmas. ahahahahah :lol That shit was too much then and it's too much now.

I don't know about "floodgates", but if Nintendo were still shipping exactly what they managed to produce, Nov and Dec would've been 400-500k. They held enough to double Nov and triple Dec. Looks like they were holding back just enough to beat the competition.

GhaleonEB

Fuzzy said:
Was this posted already?

Accessories

Finally, NPD showed that game accessories were up 37% to $621.6 million. Said Frazier, "All those hardware sales greatly helped the accessories category to realize a 52% increase over last years' sales. The Wii remote and the Wii Nunchuk combined for over 8.5 million in units sales last year, capturing the top two spots in accessories sales."

"A lot of folks are curious about the performance of the HD-DVD add-on from Microsoft," she said. "Life-to-date, 316K units of that accessory have been sold, representing a 3.5% attach rate to hardware sales."

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=17004
The hard numbers are new, thanks. HD-DVD drive not exactly bringing the house down, though it is a pricey add-on.

S

Shepherd

Unconfirmed Member
AdmiralViscen said:
360 disappoints, PS3 is pathetic. It's time for $299 points of entry you idiots.

$299 360 Premium is coming soon. Right before GTA.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
antiloop said:
Doesn't deserve more if EA can't fix it. :lol

Regardless if Orange Box was fixed or not PS3 owners still wouldn't buy it.

These are the most dismal software sales for a console in America since Dreamcast.

Mrbob

clashfan said:
It's a good number but ME is such a great game it should being doing double that number.

I think ME already tripled Jade Empires LTD sales in the USA.

I would say these sales are very good.

Especially since MS did not push this game at all like they did Halo 3 or even Crackdown. It seems like they wanted to forget about the marketing for ME after the EA deal went down.

Chinner

Banned
Shepherd said:
$299 360 Premium is coming soon. Right before GTA.

No. Before Mass Effect 2. 2008. I called it. There will be lines as far as you can see. Glorious lines. I can see it now. River made out of chocolate.

RBH

RE:UC looks to be at about 530k LTD (Japan + USA), so it looks like it'll be able to hit Capcom's target of 620k.

Good news for Wii owners hoping for future RE titles.

zsidane

dr3upmushroom said:
Looking through those annual top sellers, really surprised Pokemon didn't even come in third place.
NDS POKEMON DIAMOND VERSION NINTENDO OF AMERICA APR 2007 EVERYONE (E) 6 2.48 million

You have to add Pearl version (wiche seems to have sold way less than Diamond) and you'll probably have that 3rd place ;)

Mrbob said:

Yeah... I mean ME is completely awesome, but it's just not as marketable as an Assassin's Creed. Great sales, I'd say.

Mrbob said:

They are very good. Mass Effect is probably the most successful RPG released on the two Xbox consoles. Should count for something ;)

Yeah... I mean ME is completely awesome, but it's just not as marketable as an Assassin's Creed. Great sales, I'd say.
Well, it probably is too complex for the mainstream. Still, good, even really good numbers, to be honest, after the slow start, i even had doubts it would reach the 1mio mark soon...

Quazar

I'm happy with 360 side. Great to see the stuff selling. PS3 is doing good, just wish Uncharted did decent at least. Nintendo again is astounding. Go Mass Effect.

Altogether good month for all, though some better than others

Wow at the charts, Wii is almost at the same number as the 360 in America, 360's biggest market.

NDS POKEMON DIAMOND VERSION NINTENDO OF AMERICA APR 2007 EVERYONE (E) 6 2.48 million

You have to add Pearl version (wiche seems to have sold way less than Diamond) and you'll probably have that 3rd place ;)
Already pointed out, (Haven't done the math) but I think that CoD would still surpass it if you added those SKUs up.

doicare

schuelma said:
Sony's P.R said it sold 1.2M until the end of the december. Let's say Canada is 10%, so it was 1.05M for the U.S alone. Now, let's take out Black Friday week sales. Let's say it was 150K. So it seems to me that for the 4 weeks of December, if you were to believe Sony's P.R, it should have been 900K sold. Now, add in the first week of January...I dunno, another 50-75K at least? If Sony's P.R was correct, they should have been close to a million IMO.

Black friday week is the single biggest selling week of the entire year. On average in december the ps3 sold 160k per week so how on earth is your 150k for the week of black friday a realistic estimate? We're still waiting for canada's dec npd numbers but they should be 10% which would be 80k. So for dec usa+canada ps3 is roughly 880,000 add novembers usa+canada number and that's 880,000+517,000 = 1,397,000. Take away sony's pr number of 1,200,000 and that leaves 197,000 for the first 3 weeks of november (65,666 per week) worth of sales which is perfectly reasonable, when in october usa+can the ps3 sold 143,000 which is 35,750 per week.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
tjhooker said:
Yup MS will be disappointed.

This is the last holiday NPD where 360 will sell more than PS3 and it only amounted to 400K.

A difference which was more than made up by PS3 sales in Japan and Europe in Dec.

That's only 400k more in the US. Sure, add Japan sales of PS3. Then, make up whatever numbers you decide for Europe, because you can't prove any of them. Now, you can say whatever you want because the magic of nonexistent numbers makes it true!

So, on the year, Sony gained maybe 400k? They ought to catch up by 2020.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Mrbob said:
This is what I've said, but I kept on getting beat over the head by others who say peepz don't know who develops a game.

I disagree, based on these sales.

CoD5 will bomb comparatively.

No man, I really do think people are just sick to death of WWII shooters.

C'mon, Saving Private Ryan was 10 years ago.

dr3upmushroom said:
Wow at the charts, Wii is almost at the same number as the 360 in America, 360's biggest market.

That doesn't mean shit if the 360 maintains it's software sales. The 360 is a software selling juggernaut, especially for 3rd parties.

methane47

doicare said:
Black friday week is the single biggest selling week of the entire year. On average in december the ps3 sold 160k per week so how on earth is your 150k for the week of black friday a realistic estimate? We're still waiting for canada's dec npd numbers but they should be 10% which would be 80k. So for dec usa+canada ps3 is roughly 880,000 add novembers usa+canada number and that's 880,000+517,000 = 1,397,000. Take away sony's pr number of 1,200,000 and that leaves 197,000 for the first 3 weeks of november (65,666 per week) worth of sales which is perfectly reasonable, when in october usa+can the ps3 sold 143,000 which is 35,750 per week.

Sony's Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (PS3) also smashed expectations, selling 206,000 units, well ahead of the market's expectation of 139,900 units.

squatingyeti said:
That's only 400k more in the US. Sure, add Japan sales of PS3. Then, make up whatever numbers you decide for Europe, because you can't prove any of them. Now, you can say whatever you want because the magic of nonexistent numbers makes it true!

So, on the year, Sony gained maybe 400k? They ought to catch up by 2020.
The "10 Year PS3 Plan" finally makes sense.

Rocksteady33

Anyone have hardware data from 2002 December? I know it really doesn't matter much, but thought it would be interesting to compare to last gen.

_leech_ said:
One game is above average, the other is a shitty port. I, for one, like it when good games sell well and bad games do badly. It's the way it should be.

I'm happy with this. I just wasn't expecting it.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Sony's Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (PS3) also smashed expectations, selling 206,000 units, well ahead of the market's expectation of 139,900 units

WE GOT LEGS

Top Bottom