• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2008

Kenka

I haven't exactly understood the last two posts but 700k in January for Wii is simply not possible... it's just too much.

botticus said:
Depends on how the weeks matched up with NPD last year compared to this year.
I can't speak for how Nintendo defines "January", but it seems like NPD's version is pretty similar last year and this.

2008: January 6 - February 2
2009: January 4 - January 31

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
titiklabingapat said:
It would be an awesome day on GAF if MS ends up selling Rare back to Nintendo. :lol

I wonder how much Rare is worth right now.

Why? Rare does things other than make games for them. Like helping with NXE and aiding other studios. If MS can drop Ensemble then Rare must be doing something worth keeping them for

botticus

JoshuaJSlone said:
I can't speak for how Nintendo defines "January", but it seems like NPD's version is pretty similar last year and this.

2008: January 6 - February 2
2009: January 4 - January 31
Yeah, just went back to look at it. I guess the fact of the matter is if they're going with full weeks, then they purely estimated for Week 4, since it hasn't even ended yet. The alternative being that December 28-January 3 (or something along those lines) is the first week of January for them. That fits with the Wii Fit graph, unless its sales the last week of November were the same as the first week of January.

For reference if any haven't seen it yet:
21l.jpg

donny2112

They specifically mention for the European graph that week 1 was affected by sales for Three Kings day in Spain. Three Kings day is January 5th, so weeks 2-4 on Nintendo's chart are weeks 1-3 for January's NPD period. I'll re-post these graphs in the monthly prediction thread, so everyone can get the same "help." ;)

andthebeatgoeson

Kenka said:
I haven't exactly understood the last two posts but 700k in January for Wii is simply not possible... it's just too much.
They decided not to sacrifice January for December? And they sacrificed December for November? Lol worthy indeed.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
IGN Voicechat Podcast

- Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World has sold just over 95,000 - NPD numbers

Nice numbers i guess... how much did Vesperia sell ?

Log4Girlz

Banjo failed because A. no one cares about the license anymore (speaking about the general public) and B. for anyone who had an ounce of nostalgia the genre was simply confusing. Microsoft should have insisted on a traditional 3d platformer true to Banjo's roots, since you know...they're such a rarity these days.

cw_sasuke said:
IGN Voicechat Podcast

- Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World has sold just over 95,000

Nice numbers i guess... how much did Vesperia sell ?
Man, the series just doesn't sell that much does it?

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Kenka said:
That's through December I guess. That's quite frankly low.

Really ? For a 70er J-rpg without big marketing it seems like a lot, at least to me...

@muffin
thx....

are there any 3rd party j-rpgs this gen which sold better ?

Kenka

DarkMehm said:
ioi has it at 185k for the same time frame. :lol

No surprise, ioi's software numbers are most of the time completely pulled out of his ass. however, he keeps a good tracking of all hardware numbers delivered by the manufacturers ;)

Zapages

I heard that the new PoP sold 2.2 Million copies out of the expected 3 million copies to be sold...

Now I am hearing the DLC is not going to be available for the PC version... Many fans are disappointed about that...

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
schuelma said:
Wii EA numbers from IGN:

Looks like we might have the January NPD numbers for RB2 Wii. Assuming those numbers are through January, RB2 should have done 134,000 in that month (284k-150k in December).

CrisKre

Those are pretty great number all around....

its interesting to see that Madden ended up selling decently after all... one has to wonder how high it may get before the next version releases... wii games have legs indeed.

I will reiterate that Tales of Symphonia at 100k with no ads or buzz is also pretty decent.

Yay for Boom Blox and DeBlob.

jibblypop

Banned
schuelma said:
Wii EA numbers from IGN:

2. Madden NFL 09 All-Play -- 600,000

HAHA after so many people called bomba on the wii version of madden it ended up selling 600 thousand? that makes it very profitable and worthwhile for EA.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
that mysims number has got to be wrong, you know. I have a note in my spreadsheet indicating it at 400k at month 4 of sales with the source field set to IGN. Hell, I think even known NPD numbers (legit disclosed + the two Beyond3d top ten per platform leaks last year) have it at or above 250k in 3 months.

Oh! That's 2008 ONLY!

Well then, MySims was at 400k as of December 2007, so... uh.. 655k lifetime I guess.

Vinci

Danish
jibblypop said:
HAHA after so many people called bomba on the wii version of madden it ended up selling 600 thousand? that makes it very profitable and worthwhile for EA.

Still want the 'All Play' shit to die though.

schuelma said:
Wii EA numbers from IGN:

1. Rock Band -- 1,034,800 units (standalone disc and Special Edition)
3. Tiger Woods PGA Tour 09 All-Play -- 493,500
4. NERF N-Strike -- 490,000
5. Tiger Woods PGA Tour 08 -- 455,000
6. Boom Blox -- 422,000
7. EA Playground -- 334,000
8. Rock Band 2 -- 284,000 (standalone disc and Special Edition)
9. MySims -- 255,000
10. Hasbro Family Game Night -- 227,000

MySims Kingdom -- 206,000
NCAA Football 09 All-Play -- 205,000
Monopoly -- 180,000
NBA Live 09 All-Play -- 130,000
Skate It -- 117,000
Rock Band Track Pack Volume 1 -- 117,000
SimCity Creator -- 101,700
Littlest Pet Shop -- 101,500
Need for Speed: Undercover -- 92,000
FIFA Soccer 09 All-Play -- 90,000
Boogie Superstar -- 85,500
Ninja Reflex -- 70,000
Rock Band Track Pack Volume 2 -- 55,700
Celebrity Sports Showdown -- 44,800
Facebreaker K.O. Party -- 44,700

Great for Tiger and Boom Blox IMO

Edit- http://wii.ign.com/articles/951/951088p1.html
Wow, thx. :D

jibblypop

Banned
Vinci said:
Still want the 'All Play' shit to die though.

I hate all Madden games so I don't even care if they keep "all play" or not.. I just had a feeling when people were yelling bomba that they were very wrong and as usual they were.

Vinci

Danish
jibblypop said:
I hate all Madden games so I don't even care if they keep "all play" or not.. I just had a feeling when people were yelling bomba that they were very wrong and as usual they were.

Never thought it bombed, myself, but I definitely don't think the 'All Play' styling is helping their sales.

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
schuelma said:
Wii EA numbers from IGN:

1. Rock Band -- 1,034,800 units (standalone disc and Special Edition)
3. Tiger Woods PGA Tour 09 All-Play -- 493,500
4. NERF N-Strike -- 490,000
5. Tiger Woods PGA Tour 08 -- 455,000
6. Boom Blox -- 422,000
7. EA Playground -- 334,000
8. Rock Band 2 -- 284,000 (standalone disc and Special Edition)
9. MySims -- 255,000
10. Hasbro Family Game Night -- 227,000

MySims Kingdom -- 206,000
NCAA Football 09 All-Play -- 205,000
Monopoly -- 180,000
NBA Live 09 All-Play -- 130,000
Skate It -- 117,000
Rock Band Track Pack Volume 1 -- 117,000
SimCity Creator -- 101,700
Littlest Pet Shop -- 101,500
Need for Speed: Undercover -- 92,000
FIFA Soccer 09 All-Play -- 90,000
Boogie Superstar -- 85,500
Ninja Reflex -- 70,000
Rock Band Track Pack Volume 2 -- 55,700
Celebrity Sports Showdown -- 44,800
Facebreaker K.O. Party -- 44,700

Great for Tiger and Boom Blox IMO

Edit- http://wii.ign.com/articles/951/951088p1.html
In the article IGN clearly stated: "according to VG Chartz.com" so ...

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
markatisu said:
All the IGN numbers are between 100-300k off what VGC has them listed at, so if they were quoting VGC when did they pull the numbers?

wow you know you suck when you can't even crib VGC properly.

Top Bottom