• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2009

Nirolak said:
Tekken became largely irrelevant as a franchise since then, as did the PSP as a platform in the West.

I've never seen someone do such a great job of delaying a series into oblivion.
Duke.jpg

AniHawk

MiamiWesker said:
RE: DSC please. And maybe a comparison as to what UC did at the same time.

UC's first month roughly = 4xDSC's first month

UC's first month > 100k > DSC's LTD

Demon's Souls > 230k

Valkyria Chronicles is slowly approaching 150k (this was what Skies of Arcadia Legends hit before it died).

AniHawk said:

UC's first month > 100k > DSC's LTD

Demon's Souls > 230k

Valkyria Chronicles is slowly approaching 150k (this was what Skies of Arcadia Legends hit before it died).

Hopefully that sends a message to capcom, we dont want light gun games. Thanks.

Totally odd request, what is Zelda TP's LTD sales now. Its been years, I wonder if it is still selling ok. I remember back in the old days I would see that Nintendo games would continue to sell decent for years and years.

Dalthien

For safety precautions, everything from 200k down has been rounded to the nearest 5.

For December:

> 400k:

Wii - 7
DS - 6
360 - 4
PS3 - 2
PS2 - 0
PSP - 0

> 200k:

Wii - 15+
DS - 10+
360 - 5+
PS3 - 5+
PS2 - 0
PSP - 0

> 100k:

Wii - 40+
DS - 40+
360 - 15+
PS3 - 10+
PS2 - 0+
PSP - 0+

> 50k:

Wii - 90+
DS - 90+
360 - 30+
PS3 - 30+
PS2 - 5+
PSP - 5+

> 20k:

Wii - 200+
DS - 190+
360 - 70+
PS3 - 60+
PS2 - 25+
PSP - 35+

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
MattyGrovesOrMe said:
http://i653.photobucket.com/albums/uu257/mattygrovesorme/Duke.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Fair enough. :lol

But to be fair, we haven't had a new game release in the series to test how much it's degraded yet.

goldenpp72

MiamiWesker said:

Totally odd request, what is Zelda TP's LTD sales now. Its been years, I wonder if it is still selling ok. I remember back in the old days I would see that Nintendo games would continue to sell decent for years and years.

I want more lightgun games :(

Nicktals

Banned
farnham said:
I guess the Marvelous games (No More Heroes, Rune Factory Frontier, Little King Story, Muramasa) all did abysmally...

oh wow @ namco.. talk about wasted potential

I'm pretty sure No More Heroes did quite well...well enough for them to throw a party!

toxk_02

Black Republican
Dalthien said:
For safety precautions, everything from 200k down has been rounded to the nearest 5.

For December:
Could you clarify the +? So there's 7 Wii games >400k, and when you say 15+ Wii games >200k you mean 15 in addition to the 7 above?

donny2112

toxk_02 said:
Could you clarify the +? So there's 7 Wii games >400k, and when you say 15+ Wii games >200k you mean 15 in addition to the 7 above?

I'm pretty sure that 15+ means > 15 including the 7 from the higher level.

Dalthien said:

For December:

> 400k:

Wii - 7
DS - 6
360 - 4
PS3 - 2
PS2 - 0
PSP - 0

> 200k:

Wii - 15+
DS - 10+
360 - 5+
PS3 - 5+
PS2 - 0
PSP - 0

> 100k:

Wii - 40+
DS - 40+
360 - 15+
PS3 - 10+
PS2 - 0+
PSP - 0+

> 50k:

Wii - 90+
DS - 90+
360 - 30+
PS3 - 30+
PS2 - 5+
PSP - 5+

> 20k:

Wii - 200+
DS - 190+
360 - 70+
PS3 - 60+
PS2 - 25+
PSP - 35+
This is some incredibly interesting data. The number of games making over 100k for the Wii and DS are very interesting. Is this legs in action?

Dalthien

donny2112 said:
I'm pretty sure that 15+ means > 15 including the 7 from the higher level.
Yes.

Okay, just for fun, I included 3rd-party Wii titles in brackets.

> 400k:

Wii - 7 (1)
DS - 6
360 - 4
PS3 - 2
PS2 - 0
PSP - 0

> 200k:

Wii - 15+ (5+)
DS - 10+
360 - 5+
PS3 - 5+
PS2 - 0
PSP - 0

> 100k:

Wii - 40+ (30+)
DS - 40+
360 - 15+
PS3 - 10+
PS2 - 0+
PSP - 0+

> 50k:

Wii - 90+ (75+)
DS - 90+
360 - 30+
PS3 - 30+
PS2 - 5+
PSP - 5+

> 20k:

Wii - 200+ (175+)
DS - 190+
360 - 70+
PS3 - 60+
PS2 - 25+
PSP - 35+

dolemite

bmf said:
This is some incredibly interesting data. The number of games making over 100k for the Wii and DS are very interesting. Is this legs in action?
December sales in action. Anything with a 10 to 20 dollar sticker is snagged no matter what the title is, especially with the hardware numbers that the Wii and DS pulled in December.

dolemite

Dalthien said:
Yes.

That's some solid information, man. The vast majority of third party games are pretty much destined to sell below 100k/month even in the biggest month.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
dolemite said:
That's some solid information, man. The vast majority of third party games are pretty much destined to sell below 100k/month even in the biggest month.

Based on that list, the vast majority of games, third party or not, are destined to sell below 100K.

Nicktals

Banned
dolemite said:
December sales in action. Anything with a 10 to 20 dollar sticker is snagged no matter what the title is, especially with the hardware numbers that the Wii and DS pulled in December.

Yeah, I'll bet the average selling price of all those wii games was 13 dollars or so.

*rolls eyes*

Ya think maybe rather than "legs in action", or "December cheapasses in action", it could be "gigantic install base" in action?

Goodness.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
dolemite said:

While I have no doubt that this is a partial explanation, it seems disengenuous to ascribe that data to this alone.

Spiegel

So 30 third party wii games sold >100k in December.

Party games/Minigame compilations must be making a killing because third parties haven't released anything else on the Wii (COD4 aside) and we know Resident Evil, SH, FFCC,... have sold less than that.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
dolemite said:
This:

michaelpachter said:
Nintendo captured 38% of unit sales and 47% of dollar sales, leaving the rest for third parties. The average Nintendo first party Wii title sold for $55.63, while the average third party title sold for $37.85. Nintendo first party titles captured the top 6 positions, 9 of the top 10, and 15 of the top 21.
Yes they averaged under $50, but not *that* much under $50.

Dalthien said:
Yes.

> 400k:

Wii - 7 (1)
DS - 6
360 - 4
PS3 - 2
PS2 - 0
PSP - 0

> 200k:

Wii - 15+ (5+)
DS - 10+
360 - 5+
PS3 - 5+
PS2 - 0
PSP - 0

> 100k:

Wii - 40+ (30+)
DS - 40+
360 - 15+
PS3 - 10+
PS2 - 0+
PSP - 0+

> 50k:

Wii - 90+ (75+)
DS - 90+
360 - 30+
PS3 - 30+
PS2 - 5+
PSP - 5+

> 20k:

Wii - 200+ (175+)
DS - 190+
360 - 70+
PS3 - 60+
PS2 - 25+
PSP - 35+

Wow, Wii software is killing. The > 100K is pretty alarming. More 3rd party Wii titles > 100K than the 360 and PS3 combined, even when you include 360 and PS3 1st party titles and only 3rd party Wii titles.

ZoddGutts

AniHawk said:

Valkyria Chronicles had 33k in it's first month in November 08 NPD right? If so pretty good legs to make it to 150k.

JudgeN

Dalthien said:

For December:

> 400k:

Wii - 7
DS - 6
360 - 4
PS3 - 2
PS2 - 0
PSP - 0

> 200k:

Wii - 15+
DS - 10+
360 - 5+
PS3 - 5+
PS2 - 0
PSP - 0

> 100k:

Wii - 40+
DS - 40+
360 - 15+
PS3 - 10+
PS2 - 0+
PSP - 0+

> 50k:

Wii - 90+
DS - 90+
360 - 30+
PS3 - 30+
PS2 - 5+
PSP - 5+

> 20k:

Wii - 200+
DS - 190+
360 - 70+
PS3 - 60+
PS2 - 25+
PSP - 35+

Where did you get these number from?

Spiegel said:
So 30 third party wii games sold >100k in December.

Party games/Minigame compilations must be making a killing because third parties haven't released anything else on the Wii (COD4 aside) and we know Resident Evil, SH, FFCC,... have sold less than that.

It is probably mostly music, sports, and fitness games.

Opiate

SlipperySlope said:
Wow, Wii software is killing. The > 100K is pretty alarming. More 3rd party Wii titles > 100K than the 360 and PS3 combined, even when you include 360 and PS3 1st party titles and only 3rd party Wii titles.

Yes, but you can see how this works at the higher tiers. At 20k, 50k, and 100k, the Wii has more third party titles than the 360 and PS3 have titles combined.

Then you get to 200k, and the PS3/360 has 10 titles to the Wii's 5.

Then you get to 400k, and the PS3/360 have 6 titles to the Wii's 1.

We cannot draw any definitive conclusions without full data, but what this suggests is that third parties are seeing a good deal of lukewarm hits and less giant ones on the Wii. Unfortunately for the Wii, major third parties have openly expressed their desire for the big hits, while reducing the number of mid-range titles they create.

I'm not saying the Wii's business model can't work, or that people aren't making money off of it. I'm just suggesting that it's not the one most major third parties subscribe to. Unfortunate for the Wii and its owners, but business isn't about fairness.

Opiate said:
Yes, but you can see how this works at the higher tiers. At 20k, 50k, and 100k, the Wii has more third party titles than the 360 and PS3 have titles combined.

We cannot draw any definitive conclusions without full data, but what this suggests is that third parties are seeing a good deal of lukewarm hits and less giant ones on the Wii. Unfortunately for the Wii, major third parties have openly expressed their desire for the big hits, while reducing the number of mid-range titles they create.

I'm not saying the Wii's business model can't work, or that people aren't making money off of it. I'm just suggesting that it's not the one most major third parties subscribe to. Unfortunate for the Wii and its owners, but business isn't about fairness.

You know, is it the case that so many titles are being released for the Wii that it's inevitable some will sell well?

boiled goose

good with gravy
thestopsign said:
It is probably mostly music, sports, and fitness games.

Tiger woods
madden
GST
LEgo games
Music games

are probably all there.

It is kinda strange still that "decent core Games" like madworld, conduit, lks, muramasa were not pulled up by the december effect...

Wario land doubled its LTD in decemer. Why didnt these games get a lift?

or did they?

boiled goose

good with gravy
Opiate said:

I would say that is extremely consistent with the software that is released on the respective systems.

The big games are being released on the HD platforms. Hence, the big hit numbers there.
Wii gets less big games, less big hits.

amtentori said:
Tiger woods
madden
GST
LEgo games
Music games

are probably all there.

It is kinda strange still that "decent core Games" like madworld, conduit, lks, muramasa were not pulled up by the december effect...

Wario land doubled its LTD in decemer. Why didnt these games get a lift?

or did they?

They probably did get a boost to some extent. Judging from the large number of games above 20k, they are probably at least above that.

donny2112

Opiate said:

So you're saying that PS360 has more "blockbuster"-type games released for them than the Wii by third-parties?
:p

Even with the accepted "it's too late for third-parties to do significantly well on Wii," these sales show that even mediocre ports of PS360 titles to Wii that could've shared the advertising of their HD brethern might've hit the lukewarm level despite third-parties generally ruining their overall chances on the system. Reflex, a game with negative console-specific marketing (no pre-release videos and active attempts by Activision to pull down any personal videos from Youtube near launch) and some trickle down positive marketing from MW2, still sold ~200K in December. Get enough support at the lukewarm level, and consistently having titles on the shelves might push a few up to the "blockbuster" level. Of course, that would require an en masse support of Wii by third-parties, which ain't happening, but to ignore the disparity in support for the PS360 vs. Wii in analysis of sales lists is just silly. :p

Dalthien said:
Yes.

> 400k:

Wii - 7 (1)
DS - 6
360 - 4
PS3 - 2
PS2 - 0
PSP - 0

> 200k:

Wii - 15+ (5+)
DS - 10+
360 - 5+
PS3 - 5+
PS2 - 0
PSP - 0

> 100k:

Wii - 40+ (30+)
DS - 40+
360 - 15+
PS3 - 10+
PS2 - 0+
PSP - 0+

> 50k:

Wii - 90+ (75+)
DS - 90+
360 - 30+
PS3 - 30+
PS2 - 5+
PSP - 5+

> 20k:

Wii - 200+ (175+)
DS - 190+
360 - 70+
PS3 - 60+
PS2 - 25+
PSP - 35+

List is great. thanks.

Kifimbo

gamergirly said:
You know, is it the case that so many titles are being released for the Wii that it's inevitable some will sell well?

I think it's the opposite. There are so many titles released for the Wii because many sells decently.

There are few blockbuster AAA titles for the Wii because, either publishers think they will not sell well, and/or either they think they will sell more copies on Xbox/PS3/PC.

Vinci

Danish
Kifimbo said:
I think it's the opposite. There are so many titles released for the Wii because many sells decently.

There are few blockbuster AAA titles for the Wii because, either publishers think they will not sell well, and/or either they think they will sell more copies on Xbox/PS3/PC.

It's because publishers want the blockbuster model to dominate the gaming industry. They hate - fucking despise - that something as simple and low-brow as Wii Sports is going to end up being the damn game of the generation.

Vinci said:
It's because publishers want the blockbuster model to dominate the gaming industry. They hate - fucking despise - that something as simple and low-brow as Wii Sports is going to end up being the damn game of the generation.

I wonder how they'll treat Nintendo next gen. Their next console will be HD so no excuses.

That list posted shows how big of a SW beast the Wii is...and how PSP SW is just terrible.

donny2112

Vinci said:
something as simple and low-brow as Wii Sports

It's crazy that arcade-style "beat your high score while having fun" gameplay is now considered simple and low-brow. The Training section of Wii Sports where you have to really hone your skills/endurance to get the higher medals is real core gameplay.

farnham

Banned
Bel Marduk said:
I wonder how they'll treat Nintendo next gen. Their next console will be HD so no excuses.

That list posted shows how big of a SW beast the Wii is...and how PSP SW is just terrible.
excuse to whom... they can support whomever they want to.. at the end their stubborn stance to the wii is going to hurt themselves and their investors..

AniHawk

MiamiWesker said:

TP for the Wii is at around 2.6m. It's more than what TWW did (2.3m), but less than what OoT did (3.5m). Of course, it's not taking into account that there were about a million TPs sold on the Gamecube either.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
donny2112 said:
So you're saying that PS360 has more "blockbuster"-type games released for them than the Wii by third-parties?
:p

Even with the accepted "it's too late for third-parties to do significantly well on Wii," these sales show that even mediocre ports of PS360 titles to Wii that could've shared the advertising of their HD brethern might've hit the lukewarm level despite third-parties generally ruining their overall chances on the system. Reflex, a game with negative console-specific marketing (no pre-release videos and active attempts by Activision to pull down any personal videos from Youtube near launch) and some trickle down positive marketing from MW2, still sold ~200K in December. Get enough support at the lukewarm level, and consistently having titles on the shelves might push a few up to the "blockbuster" level. Of course, that would require an en masse support of Wii by third-parties, which ain't happening, but to ignore the disparity in support for the PS360 vs. Wii in analysis of sales lists is just silly. :p

Another example would be the EA Sports games.

farnham

Banned
AniHawk said:
TP for the Wii is at around 2.6m. It's more than what TWW did (2.3m), but less than what OoT did (3.5m). Of course, it's not taking into account that there were about a million TPs sold on the Gamecube either.
so TP sold more then OoT.. thats nice to hear..

boiled goose

good with gravy
AniHawk said:

Hmmm.

Predictions for Zelda Wii anyone?
I think it should easily outsell Oot given the Wii userbase.

Or will it prove that there really are no core gamers on Wii anymore?

Top Bottom