• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2009

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Data care of NPD Group
Reporting Period: 11/29/09 - 1/2/10

PlayStation 2 333.2K
PlayStation 3 1.36M
PSP 654.7K
Xbox 360 1.31M
Wii 3.81M
Nintendo DS 3.31M

NEW SUPER MARIO BROS. WII WII NINTENDO OF AMERICA Nov-09 2.82M
WII FIT PLUS* WII NINTENDO OF AMERICA Oct-09 2.41M
WII SPORTS RESORT W/ WII MOTION PLUS* WII NINTENDO OF AMERICA Jul-09 1.79M
CALL OF DUTY: MODERN WARFARE 2* 360 ACTIVISION BLIZZARD Nov-09 1.63M
CALL OF DUTY: MODERN WARFARE 2* PS3 ACTIVISION BLIZZARD Nov-09 1.12M
WII PLAY W/ REMOTE WII NINTENDO OF AMERICA Feb-07 1.01M
MARIO KART W/ WHEEL WII NINTENDO OF AMERICA Apr-08 936.1K
ASSASSIN'S CREED II 360 UBISOFT Nov-09 783.1K
LEFT 4 DEAD 2 360 ELECTRONIC ARTS Nov-09 728.5K
MARIO & LUIGI: BOWSER'S INSIDE STORY NDS NINTENDO OF AMERICA Sep-09 656.7K

(*includes CE, GOTY editions, bundles, etc. but not those bundled with hardware)

---------------------

Analysis from NPD's Anita Frazier:

Anita Frazier said:
Overall

"The video game industry experienced its biggest sales month ever, besting last December by 4%. It wasn't enough, though, to compensate for the sales decline throughout the year, and so full-year sales came in 8% below last year's record-setting revenues."

"The only category to see an increase over last year was portable hardware, which was up due to a 7% increase in the average retail price. The DS platform, across all categories, contributed 17% of total industry dollars in 2009, up three points from 2008."

"Unit sales were down only 6% from last year. Average retail prices were down in all categories except for portable hardware and accessories, which led to the greater dollar sales decline."

"December marks just the fourth month of the year where the industry saw an increase over last year. January and February were both up, and since the decline that began in March, only September experienced growth. The big sales this month, particularly on the hardware front, is a positive move for the industry headed into what will hopefully be a recovery year in 2010."

Hardware

"There are a lot of hardware records this month. The PS3 realized it's biggest month of sales ever, and the first time sales have exceeded 1 million units. The Wii and the DS also had their biggest sales months ever, and in fact the two platforms hold the top two spots in sales of any hardware device in a single month. Overall, it was the biggest month of sales for hardware on both a dollar and unit basis."

"This current generation of console hardware has outsold the last by more than 9 million units during the first 50 months in the market."

"Hopefully, the big increase in the overall install base of hardware systems will bring good things for software sales in 2010, especially with the incredible line-up of content coming out early in the year."

Software

"The best-selling game of the month was New Super Mario Bros. Wii, which also captures the third spot on the annual top 10 list for 2009."

"Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 has become the fourth best-selling game of all time. In fact, 3 of the top 10 games of all time are Call of Duty games."

"The music/dance genre was the best-selling genre for the month and second best for the year behind first-person shooters."

"Madden NFL 10 had a big month selling 1.5 million units across all platforms, besting last December's performance of the '09 game. December's sales made up some of the lost ground realized out the gate when the title came to market in August."

"Software sales in December were more concentrated among the top games this year than last. This year, 20% of sales came from the top SKU's, whereas last December it was just 12%."

"6 of the top 10 games totaling 20.8 million units for the year were on the Wii platform as compared to 4 last year at 19 million units."

Accessories

"7 of the top 10 accessories items in December were for the Wii platform, along with the Xbox Live Points card and wireless controllers for the Xbox 360 and PS3."

ksamedi

Shadowlink said:
Holy Shit at the Wii sales.
:lol :lol Oh man this cracked me up. Holy shit indeed. Whats more surprising is Bowsers inside story sales. I never thought it would be this big in the US. I'm very pleased with its sales.

npd12.png

Immediate thoughts:

PS3 and 360 are neck in neck, I'll be interested to see how this plays in 2010.

Damn Wii is on fire, as per usual.

Software is relatively unexciting.

Pretty much neck and neck for the hd twins. Wow, at the Wii and :lol at NSMB outselling combined total of MW2 on both platforms.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Wow at those Wii numbers, but what I really want to know is the numbers for Silent Hill: Shattered Memories and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Reflex for the month...

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Just an absolutely unprecedented Wii number. Don 't know how Europe did, but combined with Japan Nintendo had a great holiday.

And NSMB Wii is a total beast which will clear 20 million world wide.

botticus

Man, 500 errors made me look elsewhere for NPD numbers. But it alleviated the shock somewhat. 10 million pieces of Nintendo software in the top 10 is sort of insane. Can't even relate to the hardware numbers.

Wii sales never cease to amaze me, that's insane in the membrane. 360 and PS3 basically tied which is about what I expected.

Top Bottom