• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For December 2010 [Up5: Some Kinect/Move Data]

Grecco

Hopefully this ends the whole "IT ONLY HAD 5 DAYS TO CHART" nonsesense we always see (And saw last month when GT5 bombed)

Pooya

http://www.industrygamers.com/news/...ember-completes-biggest-year-in-xbox-history/
Microsoft, in advance of The NPD Group's December report, has noted that it sold 1.9 million units of the Xbox 360 in December, which is the biggest month in Xbox history, helping to solidify the company's biggest year in Xbox history as well.

$6.2 billion was spent on Xbox 360 products during December, and Microsoft said Xbox 360 was the only console to show year-over-year growth at 42%, making it the fastest-growing console in 2010.

As was already indicated by Major Nelson earlier, demand was quite high and supplies were tight. Microsoft said that "in order to keep up with holiday demand in December for Xbox 360 and Kinect, Microsoft pulled units from its January and February production."

The company continued, "Despite this, Microsoft still experienced out of supply situations in late December, and it expects supply constraint to continue in January and February as it works with retail and manufacturing partners to expedite production and shipments to replenish the channel."

On the software side, December saw three of the top ten console game titles on Xbox 360: Call of Duty: Black Ops, Assassin’s Creed Brotherhood, and Kinect Sports.

From what I was seeing, it's not surprising that Epic Mickey and Donkey Kong are up there. Individually they were a good clip above almost all software not named Just Dance 2 or Black Ops 360.

DKC Returns has some legs. I think a lot of people didn't realize it is such a good game. Same result in Japan's sales since DKC Returns keeps moving up the sales charts every week!

I think it's word of mouth and the demos at the stores.

I'm glad it's selling! :)

Bring on the SEQUEL!!! :D

Also, yay for NFS Hot Pursuit!

I'm happy to see Wii games chart so well.

DKCR deserves recurring sales throughout the lifetime of the console. Also, even though Epic Mickey has had mixed reviews, I'm glad to see it doing relatively well.

The shadenfreude over GT5 is a little sad.
The bitterness over Just Dance is a little sad.
The lack of numbers is a little sad.

So Warren Spector, Rare, and Retro finally made it (back) to the top with mascot platformers and waggle. Somehow, I'm okay with that.

GhaleonEB

On an SKU basis, games that are in the top 10 for the month that aren't reflected in our title-level best-selling list include Kinect Sports from Microsoft, UDraw Studio with UDraw Tablet from THQ, and Dance Central from Microsoft.
So two Kinect games in the top 10. Pretty impressive.

And no GT5.

FrankT

Grecco said:
Hopefully this ends the whole "IT ONLY HAD 5 DAYS TO CHART" nonsesense we always see (And saw last month when GT5 bombed)

Even on the short end I thought it would hit the top ten, but then again it may have hit the individual which by going by last year would be at least 500-600k.

Dance Central in the top ten individual as well!

Edit no GT5 in the individual chart then? Yea that is correct.

05. Donkey Kong Country Returns (Wii) NINTENDO
06. Disney Epic Mickey** (Wii) DISNEY INTERACTIVE STUDIOS
iw85ko.jpg

TheOddOne

Video game sales were flat or down 1 percent in 2010
Video game sales were flat or down 1 percent in 2010 to $15.4 billion to $15.6 billion, according to preliminary estimates for games of all kinds, according to market researcher NPD.

The number includes sales of games sold in stores such as console video games, PC titles, and handheld games. But, for the first time, NPD also included sales of digital downloads of games, social network games, game rentals, online game subscriptions, and sales of used games.

It basically means that games had a better year than last year, when sales were down almost 9 percent. That’s because of strong holiday sales in the month of December.

Spending on games at retail stores still accounted for the majority of games sold. Sales of game software on the PC, portable and consoles was $10.1 billion, down 5 percent from $10.6 billion in 2010. The bright spots included sales of PC games in stores, up 3 percent thanks to blockbusters such as StarCraft II and World of WarCraft Cataclysm.

The year was marked by a series of blockbuster game releases. Activision Blizzard launched titles such as StarCraft II on the PC, Call of Duty Black Ops on all platforms, and World of WarCraft Cataclysm on the PC. Black Ops was the best-selling game of the year. Microsoft also shipped 8 million units of its Kinect motion-control system in the last two months of the year, while Sony sold more than 4.1 million units of its new Sony PlayStation Move motion-control system.

A year ago, the video game industry was in worse shape. The recession took its toll on gamers in 2009, with overall sales falling 8.6 percent to $20.2 billion in 2009 compared with $22.11 billion in 2008. In December, 2009, sales rose only 4 percent overall.

During 2010, Microsoft said it was the only console to show year-over-year console unit sales growth, up 42 percent. Overall, $6.2 billion was spent at retail on Xbox 360 hardware, peripherals and games. In December, Microsoft said it sold more than 1.9 million units.

During December, three of the top ten console games were Xbox 360 titles: Call of Duty Black Ops, Assassin’s Creed Brotherhood and Kinect Sports. In order to keep up with holiday demand, Microsoft pulled both console and Kinect hardware units from its January and February production. Consequently, Microsoft expects to have shortages in January and February. For 2011, Microsoft believes that Gears of War 3 will be a big seller; it is also launching more Kinect titles such as Avatar Kinect. Nintendo likely saw a fall off in sales as users may be waiting until March before they buy its new 3DS handheld, which allows users to see 3D images without glasses.

Since 2005, Microsoft has sold an estimated 51 million Xbox 360 consoles, Sony has sold 46 million PS 3 consoles, and Nintendo has sold 84 million Wiis.

Barrett2

IMO, Just Dance 2 had very effective commercials. Plus, it just seems like a good casual-family type game.

Surprised at success of Donkey Kong.

ICallItFutile said:
Well I guess Epic Mickey did do well.

Edit: Fuck you lawblob
You mean 3rd party Wii games can sell if the publishers don't treat their audience like lower-class citizens? Who woulda thunk it?

JoeBoy101

Wow at GT5 Bomba.

On the Annual numbers, I can't help but see RDR on there and remember that analyst saying it was going to sell poorly.

Wow, surprised at how well Epic Mickey did :D

Goo DKCR! :D

Wii beat 360. Was expecting more of a bump in December for 360.

I wonder how many Kinects were sold...

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
So we know that an individual top 10 would contain:

1-2. Just Dance 2 (Wii)
1-x. Call of Duty (360)
2-3. World of Warcraft
x. Donkey Kong
x. Epic Mikey
x. Assassins Creed (360)
x. Kinect Sports

and most likely
x. Call of Duty (PS3)

Leaving 2 unknowns. Any guesses?

According the the below one of those is Dance Central, but that wasn't in MS PR..

On an SKU basis, games that are in the top 10 for the month that aren't reflected in our title-level best-selling list include Kinect Sports from Microsoft, UDraw Studio with UDraw Tablet from THQ, and Dance Central from Microsoft.

Does that mean Dance Central beat Gran Turismo 5?

I actually said "Wow."

Out loud.

markatisu

GO EPIC MICKEY! GAF told me it was going to bomb cause the camera was so horrible and the game stunk (which for the most part is true) :lol

Christmas saves the Wii again, now we just need the hardware numbers

Fantastical

Death Prophet
HOLY SHIT AT JUST DANCE 2. Wow, Ubisoft has a major hit on their hands. I've had fun with it.

Also go Donkey Kong! I love you Retro! :D

Why For?

Banned
If Dance Central and Kinect Sports both made Top 10 individual, then fuck yeah. Dance Central is worth the price of Kinect admission alone.

Hope Donkey Kong climbs to number 1 next month.

FrankT

user_nat said:

1-x. Call of Duty (360)
1-2. Just Dance 2 (Wii)
2-3. World of Warcraft
x. Assassins Creed (360)
x. Donkey Kong
x. Epic Mikey
x. Kinect Sports

and most likely
x. Call of Duty (PS3)

Dance Central and Udraw.

jman2050

user_nat said:

1-x. Call of Duty (360)
1-2. Just Dance 2 (Wii)
2-3. World of Warcraft
x. Assassins Creed (360)
x. Donkey Kong
x. Epic Mikey
x. Kinect Sports

and most likely
x. Call of Duty (PS3)

Dance Central and Udraw have to be the remaining ones based on linked articles.

Top Bottom