• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For December 2010 [Up5: Some Kinect/Move Data]

tzare

Vinci said:
On an average metric, hell no, it's not a failure. I mean, I don't know how much Sony spent developing the game, but I doubt it'll come anywhere close to a commercial failure from a bottom line standpoint. But as Sony's biggest IP ever, it underperforming expectations is not a good thing.
i really doubt sony expected GT5 to perform much better. I mean, they may have expected slightly better results in US and Japan but not much. I think they saw this coming somehow. And i think they where expecting this to change some things in SCEJ.
I even think they are surprised for its good performance in europe.

Sony hasn't had a system seller since MGS4, and even that didn't help much (one month only)
exactly, sony has great games, but none of them have the Mario appeal, or the COD/Halo appeal.
They need to find THAT game. they did not need it in the ps2 era, but they need something both MS and Nintendo have and they don't. But that is something that usually comes unexpected, not that you can create a new great IP from scratch. Maybe they could push Uncharted, but i doubt it could reach that status.

Neki

zero_suit said:
So, the Wii beat the 360 in YTD sales.
baravb9yg.gif

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Three of the top five best-selling games of December play exclusively on Nintendo systems. These include Just Dance 2 from Ubisoft at No. 1, Donkey Kong Country Returns ™ : from Nintendo at No. 3 and Disney Epic Mickey from Disney Interactive Studios at No. 4. For all of 2010, 13 of the top 25 best-selling games play on Nintendo systems. This includes two of the top five; five of the top 10; and nine of the top 15.

http://www.pr-inside.com/nintendo-news-nintendo-emerges-with-r2353051.htm

Vinci

Danish
Jason's Ultimatum said:
How does MS do it? Seriously, talk about a great strategy and growth they've achieved.

It's not that hard to figure out. Software sells systems. Well, what system gets virtually every single major 3rd party release, and has a corporation that's not braindead at the wheel?

There ya go.

tzare

DMeisterJ said:
PS3 sales are good, only down a bit YoY. No doom there.
yeah. decent numbers

GT5 will end up getting bundled for like 4 years which will meet goals through compelled ownership rather than desired ownership
that has happened with almost every first party game out there. Halo 3, Forza 2 have been bundled to death too. So were uncharted and motorstorm.

Why For?

Banned
tzare said:
i really doubt sony expected GT5 to perform much better. I mean, they may have expected slightly better results in US and Japan but not much. I think they saw this coming somehow. And i think they where expecting this to change some things in SCEJ.
I even think they are surprised for its good performance in europe.

exactly, sony has great games, but none of them have the Mario appeal, or the COD/Halo appeal.
They need to find THAT game. they did not need it in the ps2 era, but they need something both MS and Nintendo have and they don't. But that is something that usually comes unexpected, not that you can create a new great IP from scratch. Maybe they could push Uncharted, but i doubt it could reach that status.

This is true.

Uncharted won't be that game. I think God of War is building towards it though. Either way, Sony needs their Halo/CoD/Mario, because the next Metal Gear Solid game is on 360 now.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
DMeisterJ said:
PS3 sales are good, only down a bit YoY. No doom there.

I was expecting much worse, like under 500K. To be fair, though, I'm completely ignorant about this stuff. 3rd place, but at least they broke 1 million. 2011 makes or breaks the PS3, I'm hoping all those great exclusives can bring the systems monthly sales to a respectable level.

JudgeN

hamchan said:
Didn't prologue cover a large amount of the budget?

If it didn't cover all of it, i'm sure it covered enough. I agree GT5 sales have been disappointed in 2 out 3 markets but there is no way in hell it didn't make money when you consider GT:p sold 4M+ copies.

Kenka

Chris1964 said:
Three of the top five best-selling games of December play exclusively on Nintendo systems. These include Just Dance 2 from Ubisoft at No. 1, Donkey Kong Country Returns ™ : from Nintendo at No. 3 and Disney Epic Mickey from Disney Interactive Studios at No. 4. For all of 2010, 13 of the top 25 best-selling games play on Nintendo systems. This includes two of the top five; five of the top 10; and nine of the top 15.

Excellent. Thank you much :)

And thank you too Nirolak.

So we probably got something like :

01. Just Dance 2
02. CoD (360)
03. DKC
04. Epic Mickey
05. COD (PS3)
06. Kinect Sports
07. AssBro (360)
08. ?
09. uDraw
10. Dance Central

We need additional info for the missing SKU in the Top 10. We'll likely have to wait for Sony's PR. #1, #3, #4 are correct. #2 and #5 likely. The rest is random. Correct lower bound for Just Dance 2 ----> 3.6 M divided by 5 which gives ~700k which doesn't tell us shit.

#10 is likely correct.

Chris1964 said:

So that means Call of Duty 360 at 2?

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Chris1964 said:

Just Dance 2 :O

Road

2010:

NDS - 8.56 million
WII - 7.07 million
360 - 6.76 million
PS3 - 4.33 million

PS3 is 1k down from 2009 with the numbers we have. :lol

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
mugurumakensei said:
Oh 1.3 million last year.

ok cheers, well not going to say PS3's were great but personally I didn't think they would even hit a million based off of Novembers numbers, 11% down off of last year isn't too bad really, and compared to 360's numbers that had Kinect as a big push I think they did 'ok' comparatively.

V_Ben

Banned
Dabanton said:
I guess the marker will be how well the Ico Collection does.

I think last guardian could be huge if marketed well. That creature could be huge with kids, make soft toys of the damn thing, get some promotion going everywhere. Make it super adorable :D

Vinci

Danish
Kifimbo said:
Third party games don't sell on Wii, remember ?

How the hell is Donkey Kong a 3rd party game?

V_Ben said:
I think last guardian could be huge if marketed well. That creature could be huge with kids, make soft toys of the damn thing, get some promotion going everywhere. Make it super adorable :D

Considering how Ueta games tend to end, that could result in a helluva backlash. :lol

Mrbob

I'd love to know what the Wii average selling price was in December.

I've seen the system going on sale everywhere for $179 in December and January. Which is weird because consoles normally don't go on sale. Nintendo must be testing the waters with what kind of bump they'll get on a price drop.

onipex

Opiate said:
Let's say the 360 drops 20% next year, and 20% the year after that. That's a fairly precipitous drop, so I'm being conservative here. That would mean that in 2012, as the 360 passes its eighth Christmas, the 360 would be selling ~4.4 million units, or just 300k short of its average totals in year 2-4.

And all of this is assuming the 360 has peaked, which may not be the case.

I think what the 360 is doing is eating up the PS3 base and/or its potential base.

On the software topic I think it is pretty great that Wii and Kinect software did well. Wii software did great actually with 3 Wii games making the top ten. I'm pretty sure that most of the sales for Michael Jackson The Experience are for the Wii version as well.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Road said:
2010:

NDS - 8.56 million
WII - 7.07 million
360 - 6.76 million
PS3 - 4.33 million

PS3 is 1k down from 2009 with the numbers we have. :lol

Did we even get solid PS3 numbers for October?

hamchan

Jason's Ultimatum said:
How does MS do it? Seriously, talk about a great strategy and growth they've achieved.

Kinect and it's 500 million marketing budget + 360 Slim. They did well this year.

GavinGT

Banned
V_Ben said:

This is not how things will transpire.

FrankT

Mrbob said:
I'd love to know what the Wii average selling price was in December.

I've seen the system going on sale everywhere for $179 in December and January. Which is weird because consoles normally don't go on sale. Nintendo must be testing the waters with what kind of bump they'll get on a price drop.

$179 everywhere or $50-$75 card. Wal-Mart had those many times. 360 had one for the month with Wal-Mart, one from Toys R Us as well.

king zell

Nintendo News: Nintendo Emerges with Top-Selling Systems of 2010, Looks Ahead to Nintendo 3DS

REDMOND, Wash.–(BUSINESS WIRE)– Great games, great experiences and great value led Nintendo to finish 2010 with the two top-selling video game systems in the United States. The Nintendo DS™ family of systems finished in first place with more than 8.5 million sold in 2010, while the Wii™ system topped all home consoles with more than 7 million sold, according to the NPD Group, which tracks video game industry sales in the United States.

Nintendo sold more than 2.5 million Nintendo DS systems and more than 2.3 million Wii systems in December alone, bringing their lifetime U.S. sales totals to more than 47 million and more than 34 million, respectively.

With the new Nintendo 3DS™ system set to launch in the United States in March, Nintendo has strong momentum heading into 2011. Nintendo 3DS lets users view 3D images without the need for special glasses. More information about the system will be made available during a Jan. 19 preview event in New York.

“Nintendo has sold more game systems than anyone else for five years running,” said Charlie Scibetta, Nintendo of America’s senior director of Corporate Communications. “Of the quarter billion hardware systems sold in the United States during the past 10 years, Nintendo sold more than half. We look forward to bringing fun new experiences to consumers when Nintendo 3DS launches in March.”

Three of the top five best-selling games of December play exclusively on Nintendo systems. These include Just Dance 2 from Ubisoft at No. 1, Donkey Kong Country Returns™ from Nintendo at No. 3 and Disney Epic Mickey from Disney Interactive Studios at No. 4. For all of 2010, 13 of the top 25 best-selling games play on Nintendo systems. This includes two of the top five; five of the top 10; and nine of the top 15.

http://www.nintendoeverything.com/58938/

Top Bottom