• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For December 2010 [Up5: Some Kinect/Move Data]

gkryhewy

tzare said:
but being 3rd forever in the US, lagging from day one, with no real system sellers, higher price and againts 2 great rivals (unlike other generations) it is holding pretty well.
I think it is the right strategy, keep distance or loose as little as possible in US (considering they beat 360 in japan and Mainland europe mkaes their whole picture much better) and wait for the next generation to try to be competitive again XD

No real system sellers? Really? The revisionist history is astonishing :lol I remember when every first party PS3 title was a sure-fire system seller.

Now people are debating whether GT5 was profitable. Amazing.

Saiyar

Unconfirmed Member
lowrider007 said:
When you factor in the Kinect launch and slim and the half billion advertising campaign, and the fact the system is more expensive, I think they did ok.

Kind of amusing that the November 360-PS3 gap was bigger than the December one. Maybe that can be Sony's PR spin.

soldat7

V_Ben said:
I think last guardian could be huge if marketed well. That creature could be huge with kids, make soft toys of the damn thing, get some promotion going everywhere. Make it super adorable :D

Yeah I'm not so confident in sales for The Last Guardian. I'm certainly there Day One, just like the Team Ico Collection, but I just don't think sales of TLG will be more than several 100K.

Vinci

Danish
apana said:
I have never been one to believe that past=future. I wasn't trying to be vague, just thinking out loud.

Then how have you seemingly made up your mind that The Last Guardian is going to even be good?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
apana said:
So what should I make of the Wii numbers? Think for me GAF.
It's down 38%, but it's falling from a very high point.

That said, what matters for Nintendo is growth, and the Wii has proven rather unrepairable, so we'll definitely have a new console sooner than later.

Fall 2012 would be a safe bet, since I don't think Nintendo can handle getting out HD games by this Fall given their recent Wii output while also supporting the 3DS.

DMeisterJ

Banned
BowieZ said:
GT5 is a failure, outside of Europe. Overall, it's simply what they call a flop.

We have American and European numbers?

And when you say 'flop' you're comparing it to previous GT games right? Cause compared to most regular games, GT is doing pretty well.

FrankT

Road said:
2010:

NDS - 8.56 million
WII - 7.07 million
360 - 6.76 million
PS3 - 4.33 million

PS3 is 1k down from 2009 with the numbers we have. :lol

Can we get a YoY comparison for all. MS total let down not having enough stock for the year end win. 300k would have been nothing.

user_nat said:
600,000 is a pretty big number.

650k for the month. 1.5M for the quarter. 2.43M for the year. Probably the best year ever against it since before 08 or 07.

tzare

gkryhewy said:
No real system sellers? Really? The revisionist history is astonishing :lol I remember when every first party PS3 title was a sure-fire system seller.

Now people are debating whether GT5 was profitable. Amazing.

besides aging GT IP what game has sony ever had that could reach COD/Halo/Mario numbers?

soldat7

Vinci said:
I haven't even touched the game, but I'm happy to see Spector being reasonably successful. If the game has flaws, okay, hopefully he gets a chance at a round two to fix those. Or maybe he gets the chance to do something completely different. He's been responsible for some of the greatest games ever made, and it would be a shame if he were basically tossed out on his ass.

I'll buy that argument.

RurouniZel said:
I've actually been enjoying the game quite a bit! Lots of fun, and hardly what I'd call mediocre.

*re-adds Epic Mickey to Amazon Wishlist*

I hope so. The game had so much early promise.

Barrett2

DMeisterJ said:

And when you say 'flop' you're comparing it to previous GT games right? Cause compared to most regular games, GT is doing pretty well.
Most regular games don't cost $60 million +

Haunted

Clutch win for Wii in the YTD race.

Microsoft will be very happy.

Long faces at Sony once again. 2011 is the year of the PS3.

Everyone's happy! Except Polyphony Digital, but fuck those guys.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I told you guys Just Dance 2 would be a phenomenon sales wise. It may still be in the top 20 next year.

gkryhewy

DMeisterJ said:

How about compared to other enormous-budget games with six or seven-year development cycles?

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
hamchan said:
No. 2011 is the year of the PS3, I'm sure of it.

For realz this time guys.

2010 vs 2009

DS 8,557,500 (-23%)
360 6,764,089 (+42%)
PS3 4,33,500 (-.1%) :lol
Wii 7,019,900 (-27%)

PS3 is the only one not rounded.

LTD

DS 47,284,258
360 25,395,075
PS3 15,462,196
Wii 34,154,281

Vinci

Danish
DMeisterJ said:

Yes, if we pretend that GT wasn't Sony's #1 selling IP and that it is one of the only games to appear in the Top 25 best-selling games of all time list not made by Nintendo, and if we to pretend that it didn't have over 5 years of development... then yes, it's doing really well.

And I'm not even one of the people suggesting that it bombed, but your comment doesn't make any sense. You can't take some huge title and pretend, after it underperforms, that it wasn't really anything special in the first place - and, thus, its sales are fine.

For example: Everyone is going to be comparing the 3DS's sales to the DS's, and the next 2D style Mario to NSMB Wii, etc.

GavinGT

Banned
SoulPlaya said:
Some people are still using the Slim as an excuse for PS3 sales? That launched six months ago! :lol

Don't forget that Microsoft had advertisements! On TV! What an unfair advantage!

poin

lowrider007 said:
When you factor in the Kinect launch and slim and the half billion advertising campaign, and the fact the PS3 is more expensive, I think they did ok.

When you factor in the Move launch and GT5 fiasco and the Kevin Butler advertising campaign, and the fact the PS3 had same priced Move bundles, I think they did bad.

Kenka

Anita Frazier said:
"On an SKU basis, games that are in the top 10 for the month that aren't reflected in our title-level best-selling list include Kinect Sports from Microsoft, UDraw Studio with UDraw Tablet from THQ, and Dance Central from Microsoft. Outside of Black Ops and Assassin’s Creed, the top list on both a SKU and title level basis reflects an array of content that is appealing outside the core audience for gaming that you might expect to sell well during the holiday timeframe."

OK, this is single SKU.

Anita Frazier said:
"Among the top 10 titles for the month, two are third-party Wii games including Just Dance 2 from Ubisoft, which was the best-selling game for the month at the SKU level, and Epic Mickey from Disney."

And this is multiple SKU. So, there might be more than two Wii-exclusive titles in individual SKU Top 10. Dear God, I thought I'd become mad. So the missing guy in the Top 10 is almost certainly Michael Jackson's Experience on Wii. Ubisoft said :

Gamezone.de said:
Ubisoft hat aktuelle Zahlen zum Tanzspiel Michael Jackson - The Experience bekanntgegeben und zeigt sich äußerst zufrieden. Über 2 Millionen Einheiten des Spieles haben mittlerweile den Weg zum Endkunden gefunden. Da die PS3 und Xbox 360 Version noch nicht erschienen sind, handelt es sich bei den Verkaufszahlen um die Versionen für Wii, PSP und NDS. 90 Prozent der verkauften Einheiten entfielen dabei auf die Wii-Version des Tanzspieles

So it's all clear. Everything we miss now is the right positions of each game in the Top 10 console charts. Final console charts must probably look like :

01. Just Dance 2 (Wii)
02. CoD (360)
03. DKC (Wii)
04. Epic Mickey (Wii)
05. COD (PS3)
06. Michael Jackson's Experience (Wii)
07. AssBro (360)
08. Kinect Sports (360)
09. uDraw (Wii)
10. Dance Central (360)

FrankT

ICallItFutile said:

2010 vs 2009

DS 8,557,500 (-23%)
360 6,764,089 (+42%)
Wii 7,019,900 (-27%)

LTD

DS 47,284,258
360 25,395,075
PS3 15,462,196
Wii 34,154,281

Right at 10M now between PS3 and 360. 360 at the rate it is going should easily see over 40M in the US.

miladesn said:
$100 gift cards.

I think that really is what saved it for the month. Same for Wii as for as $179 and $50-$75 cards.

VOOK said:
2.5 million DS owners gonna be pissed.
I still use my SP that I got right around the time DS came out. It's a great time to be getting a DS. The software library is really deep, and good cheap DS games will probably be abundant for the next few years.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Nirolak said:

One positive comparison between the two games is that Remedy was able to self-fund at least some of the development time with the gigantic fucking sacks of money they got from Max Payne.

PD was on the Sony teet the whole time, but at least they sold 5 million copies of GT5P in the mean time to make sure their balance sheet wasn't red.

So in both cases the no doubt insane development times and costs were mitigated by influxes of money in the mean time. Really, though, the question is whether either team would be able or allowed to repeat the 6 year development time, right?

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
ICallItFutile said:

2010 vs 2009

DS 8,557,500 (-23%)
360 6,764,089 (+42%)
Wii 7,019,900 (-27%)

LTD

DS 47,284,258
360 25,395,075
PS3 15,462,196
Wii 34,154,281
Wii sold 20 millions more than PS3.
The opposite had to be true last gen with PS2 and GC. That's the real shocker of this gen.

Vinci

Danish
It's amazing they're replacing the DS. Damn thing contines to sell over 2 million every Christmas and it's being replaced. Unreal.

Balb

Vinci said:
It's amazing they're replacing the DS. Damn thing contines to sell over 2 million every Christmas and it's being replaced. Unreal.

It'll still sell very well for quite some time. The GBA was outselling the DS for a while back in the day.

Dabanton

tzare said:
like alan wake?

that is a sony game?
and when did any MGS sell COD numbers? never

I swear this is the second time you've mentioned Alan Wake. AW has no pedigree it's a new IP. GT has history it is a Sony Flagship title. Many people brought their PS3's for Prologue and It was assumed by many for months leading up to it's release that GT5 would waltz into the NPD top 10 but it looks like those assumptions were built on sand.

GavinGT

Banned
Megadragon15 said:
But Sony had Kevin Butler advertisements on TV all the time.

Yeah, I was referring to the notion some people have that Microsoft bought their success over the last two months, with the implication that other consoles got to where they were honestly.

gkryhewy

Vinci said:

It's no longer growing. A discounted DSi and XL will keep selling boatloads for years, and will even remain a pretty smart purchase all around as long as 3DS BC is retained.

Yoboman

This year will be interesting, I wonder if Kinect can keep up its popularity. This 2010 Holiday for MS reminds me of the year before for Sony. I wonder what Sony will do this year to turn things around, obviously a price drop is due

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Vinci said:
Honestly if they do bungle the 3DS pricing I think we'll continue to see the DS chart long after this. It might have a shot at the PS2 afterall.

Top Bottom