• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2013 [Up2: Xbox One/360 HW, 3DS top system of year]

StoopKid

he tweeted me back.

@aarongreenberg so 3rd party games sold more on #PS4 ?

Aaron Greenberg ‏@aarongreenberg

@11000Wattz 3rd party did yes, but less overall and less for 1st/2nd party which are the exclusives. Also SW attach rate was higher on XB1

L
O
L

If I was Iwata I would be delighted with WiiU selling more than 460 000 units for December tbh.
The system will have sold-through around 750K in the US for the quarter and around 450K in Japan. So 1.2M in two major territories.

Indications from the PAL thread are that the situation in Europe continues to be abysmal, but being generous we'll say that it managed to somehow sell-through the same amount as the US. So that's about 2M.

With the state of sales, retailers aren't going to be ordering in significant amounts, so I doubt there's much in the channel, so I'd expect the Q3 shipment to be in the realm of 2.5M, with a FYTD of about 3M.
A rapid collapse in Japan gives some indication of an impending soft Q4 as well.

That isn't anything to be "delighted" about, when your forecast is 9M.

JaggedSac

Bombard him with tweets asking how Killer Instinct did, it isn't sold at retail but I hope it did enough to keep them producing content for it and also farming out some of Rare's other IP to 3rd parties.

Bombard him with tweets asking how Killer Instinct did, it isn't sold at retail but I hope it did enough to keep them producing content for it and also farming out some of Rare's other IP to 3rd parties.

They've pretty much confirmed there will be a Season 2 later this year so I would imagine it did pretty well.

I'd also be interested in knowing specifics though.

Lexxism

+ 585k in France.

US(2013): 3.170.000
JP(W2 2014 Famitsu): 4.175.999
FR(2013): 585.000

That's 7.930.999 sales. The game is probably above 9 million by now I guess? I'm expecting at least to top it the 10 million before the end of the year but that's fine anyway.

he tweeted me back.

@aarongreenberg so 3rd party games sold more on #PS4 ?

Aaron Greenberg ‏@aarongreenberg

@11000Wattz 3rd party did yes, but less overall and less for 1st/2nd party which are the exclusives. Also SW attach rate was higher on XB1
Yes, because you have more games Einstein.

Huh? How?

We know a little bit about which games sold better from NPD order:

138991395288zqojr.jpg

CoD, BF4, and JD'14 sold better on XBO in 2013. (The 3 best selling games of December). He doesn't mention Just Dance so we know it's not a complete list of games.

LEGO and Skylanders may have also sold better overall on XBO since they beat the PS4 versions in December. We know at least six 3rd party games sold better on XBO last month.

I'm surprised JD, Lego and Skylanders sold better on the bone... Thought, that might be due Ps4 selling out and daddies/mums being unable to find it to gift their children...

Beant

I am shocked Ryse sold that much more than double what I would have guessed.

Well done for MS hopefully they can keep momentum

It got a lot of advertising here in the U.S. I didn't think it would sell that well, but it actually makes sense it retrospect - the commercials are good and got played a lot.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
US(2013): 3.170.000
JP(W2 2014 Famitsu): 4.175.999
FR(2013): 585.000

That's 7.930.999 sales. The game is probably above 9 million by now I guess? I'm expecting at least to top it the 10 million before the end of the year but that's fine anyway.

Shipments should be at 10 million for Q3. Great success with Pokemon X and Y.

maxcriden

I honestly thought people in the US would treat a $500 console like the plague.

Early adopters + Christmas + US/Western love for XBox. I think it will have legs in the US but I expect PS4 to outperform it overall. There seems to be a lot more positive buzz for PS4 vs. PS3 and less positive buzz for XBO vs. 360.

Cool, just curious, did Double Helix say something at some point about it?

During the stream today they mentioned Season 2 on a few occasions. Basically mentioning certain things that they have planned for it. No major details but it's safe to say we'll be seeing more KI content later this year.

Skeff

This gives us a lot of info about the 2013 sales So at 3 million 2013 we have:

US: 1817k
UK: 364k
DE: 100k

= 2281k

So 719k Sold total in the other 10 launch markets? do we feel the 3 million is accurate? 71k on average seems a little high for the remaining 10 countries IMO. What other figures do we have?

The system will have sold-through around 750K in the US for the quarter and around 450K in Japan. So 1.2M in two major territories.

Indications from the PAL thread are that the situation in Europe continues to be abysmal, but being generous we'll say that it managed to somehow sell-through the same amount as the US. So that's about 2M.

With the state of sales, retailers aren't going to be ordering in significant amounts, so I doubt there's much in the channel, so I'd expect the Q3 shipment to be in the realm of 2.5M.

That isn't anything to be "delighted" about, when your forecast is 9M.
I still have no idea what they're playing at with that.

Reality has to have set in by now. A massive restructuring is imminent. At this pace they'll actually be lucky to hit 12 million units in five years. Their firm resolve on this forecast is just an amazing train wreck in super slow motion.

VanWinkle

Great sales for the XB1. Not surprised considering how dominant the Xbox brand is in the US.

I have to laugh at Aaron Greenberg, though. Obviously 1st/2nd party sales are better considering your competition only has two games under that category! I'm surprised PS4 1st party sales are as high as they are, honestly.

kswiston

Well, it isn't a first/second party game either.

They are counting Dead Rising 3 which is neither.

First party = Company owned dev using developing company owned IP
Second party = Independent dev developing company owned IP

Dead Rising is third party, even if Microsoft pitched in some cash.

EDIT: I guess, "published by" makes it second party. Rescinded.

Lynn616

In the zeal to thump his chest, he's looking like a fool giving out numbers that is proving 3rd party sales are better on PS4.

He didnt have to give out PS4 numbers, FYI.

That is what happens when you dont have many exclusives. You have to buy 3rd party games. Nothing to laugh about.

Top Bottom