• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2013 [Up2: Xbox One/360 HW, 3DS top system of year]

UberTag

Incidentally, the Vita is the #2 platform in Japan for 2013 so it clearly shouldn't be scrapped.
But it's on life support in North America because SCEA has abandoned it to die.

JaggedSac

Well the 2.9 attach ratio for retail + digital come from MS, no? If so then the digital sales are 400-500k.

Yep, that looks correct. Man those numbers seem bad though. Only ~8% of sales are digital titles. Does not bode well for CD, PSG, KI, P2, and M:CotB. At least KI is apparently doing well enough to get a second season.

AniHawk

Sega Saturn vs Playstation Vita NPD sales comparison, go!

edit: wait I see the Vita makes the Saturn look more like the PS1

if we follow the comparison, then 2014 will mark the vita's last year on the market in the us, while it continues to get support in japan. then a trickle in 2015 and that's all she wrote.

because its dead and no bundling will save it.

saves money by not creating more bundles when there is still stock on the shelves

Claiming something is dead is the dumbest hyperbole ever. Until it is discontinued it is not dead. Is it doing terribly? Yes, but Sony isn't going to kill it yet.

I think what's worse than the Vita performing <100K is the fact that it collapsed from its first holiday market to its second.

At least Sega Saturn rose in its second holiday season. Vita is just on a downhill spiral in the West. :-(

leroidys

Vita hurts. I've realized it's dead since the fall, but this just drives it home. At least Gravity Rush 2 will be a beautiful swan song.

ascii42

This is US LTD right?

Also, wow at Vita. Looks like PS4 didn't even help the system just like what most(?) were expecting. Who knows VitaTV could be the one helping it :p

Yeah, the only hope for the PS4 helping the Vita is that perhaps people didn't want to buy both at the same time, and will pick up a Vita down the road. Not much of a hope, but that's all the Vita's got.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Someone should GIF the Vita being shot out of the Enterprise proton torpedo bay ala the funeral scene from Wrath of Khan.

And when it crashes into the planet, the words "Vita means life" should appear.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake

tumblr_inline_mssqitLYsM1qz4rgp.gif

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
There is a possibility Wii U outsold other consoles in December on a WW scale, as it sold well in Japan. Whatever, it alteady did better than expected :)

I don't get Vita sales at all :(

Vita is finished in USA retail. Under 100K is worse than abysmal. There are no words for its performance.
And saying this is being really kind.

A complete and utter implosion of Sony's handheld market in America. It's pretty much nonexistent at this point. 95k units in December. Time to lose that dream Sony.

Except then you have to count Ryse as a third party game too, so PS4 first party would be greater than Xbox One first party.

Good point. :p

Though I'm sure some of those units are the golf game, and I'm sure KI and Crimson Dragon make up most of the digital sales.

Edit: GT6 PS4 port would have been so smart, looking at Forza sales. Especially with drive club delay.

antitrop

There's really not much for mainstream gamers to play on the Vita. No surprise it failed, the software just hasn't been there, for its entire life.

Hell, I've only pretty much used my Vita to play PSP games and Dragon's Crown.

VanWinkle

Even for a dead system, it's doing abysmal.

There's no "doing abysmal" for a dead system.

Guess we can put the plug in the "PS4 will help Vita idea". No one knows or cares about the system. I had someone see the Vita option in the PS4 menu and wonder what the hell that even was.

There really is no comparison for the Vita. It did much better than the Virtual Boy and NGage but so much worse than everything else

I've noticed you've had somewhat of a vested interest in the Vita's sales for a long while now. Do you actually have one?

If it mirrors Japan, I suppose an additional 2K a week would be some help.

Debatable. The system gets so few games from Sony, even from Sony Japan. And what it does get are mostly pretty small titles with few exceptions.
Then we have marketing...

yeah at this rate that would probably be like a 100% increase
from 10k to 20k

Just Googled and found the headline "Xbox 360 Sales Pass the Wii in the US" from Nov 2013.

but it's a bloody ******** article, I'm sure someone posted about it in GAF without ******** involvement?

....well, you know your answer

if we follow the comparison, then 2014 will mark the vita's last year on the market in the us, while it continues to get support in japan. then a trickle in 2015 and that's all she wrote.

that's actually relatively likely
huh

iammeiam

This is US LTD right?

Also, wow at Vita. Looks like PS4 didn't even help the system just like what most(?) were expecting. Who knows VitaTV could be the one helping it :p

Those numbers are bad enough I think Sony would be insane to launch Vita TV in the US named Vita TV or at all Vita branded. They'd need to rename it, focus on its non-Vita functions, and have Vita support as a tiny, tiny footnote on the back. Because clearly the US does not give half a fuck about Vita anymore.

See the vita sales figures really hurts me from the inside, its a great machine. I hope Vita will go cheaper now, I am sure it will help sales, but it seems like a loss cause.

Top Bottom