• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2013 [Up2: Xbox One/360 HW, 3DS top system of year]

Guess this should be the year we start to see $99 Vita firesales in the US then? I'll definitely snag one if it dips to that price with a memory card.

Exile20

LTD: WiiU>PS4>XB1

GT6<180k

PSV<95k

It's time Sony.....
Pulling-the-plug.jpg

Sandfox

Yep. It will likely surpass it by March though.

I wonder how long before Vita is pulled from the shelves besides specialty stores. Retailers can't be happy giving Vita any shelf space.

The Vita only get like four games worth of shelf space at the stores I go to.

Vita = Dead because SCEA wished it to die.
They are ultimately and entirely at fault.
The average Plus subscriber probably has a dozen or more Vita games they could play for free right now on top of remote play capability for their PS4s and they simply don't care.

The amount of money SCEA invests in the Vita is $0. We should be thankful retailers continue to stock it.

That fact that the Vita has so many people buying full game digitally and the whole PS+ thing which I think was a horrible idea on Sony's part just pisses retail off and helped make the Vita lose its shelf space even faster. Itys kinda hard to sell games to fans when you have like two games on shelves and they aren't new and possibly ports.

LowParry

Man that makes me really sad about the Vita. I love that thing so much. It just flows well with the interface. -sigh- C'mon Sony. You gotta do something with it. Get some damn exclusives. Anything. :( :( :(

Talamius

As for Wii U, that number is interesting. It's selling COMPLETELY on the strength of Nintendo IP, which tells you how strong that IP is. It's going to be a distant third but maybe it still carves a niche.

I still think that Nintendo investor call is going to be fascinating.

Pociask

You know how sad it is that Nintendo would have made more money if they supported the Wii for 5 more years. They probably would have sold more than the sub 15 million Wii U is destined for as well.

Nintendo won't even release greatest hits games for the Wii, or drop prices for their ancient games. Treat a fan base like that, then wonder why they don't rush out to buy your new system.

Yep, that looks correct. Man those numbers seem bad though. Only ~8% of sales are digital titles. Does not bode well for CD, PSG, KI, P2, and M:CotB. At least KI is apparently doing well enough to get a second season.

KI is going to be hard to classify. What's a sale someone buying the $20/40 pass? If someone just buys 1 or 2 characters? I think it's success or failure will be based on the amount of money it generates into the ecosystem.

Just tell me.

Did the cheaper 2DS have any appreciable effect on 3DS sales? Nintendo did their song and dance, but I want to know. Down or up YoY creamy?

Yawnier

Banned
Man that makes me really sad about the Vita. I love that thing so much. It just flows well with the interface. -sigh- C'mon Sony. You gotta do something with it. Get some damn exclusives. Anything. :( :( :(

SCEA is like the honey badger when it comes to the Vita. They just don't give a shit.

You know how sad it is that Nintendo would have made more money if they supported the Wii for 5 more years. They probably would have sold more than the sub 15 million Wii U is destined for as well.

Now that you bring that up, I think they abandoned the Wii earlier than they should.

There's no way I'll accept "no games" for the Vita now. It's got its got a veritable library.

I agree the price is a sticking point, but I expected some of the PS4's popularity to rub off on it, what with remote play and all.

It needs help from third parties, for example a Minecraft bundle could possibly benefit along with a price reduction on the hardware.

I don't think remote play is a huge selling point personally , I feel more people would just rather use the traditional way of playing a console - the tv- the vast majority of the time.

TunaLover

They did with Wii Mini, but Nintendo is hand tied with Wii U/3DS development, keep developing games for Wii only would to cause make their Wii U game output worse.

That is what happens when you dont have many exclusives. You have to buy 3rd party games. Nothing to laugh about.

That kind of logic isn't bullet proof. For instance, I could say PS+ gives out a lot of free games, so what's the point of purchasing software for PS4 when there are a multitude of free games to keep people distracted: Resogun, Blacklight, Warframe, Contrast and Don't Starve.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Nintendo won't even release greatest hits games for the Wii, or drop prices for their ancient games. Treat a fan base like that, then wonder why they don't rush out to buy your new system.

Nintendo Selects?

Yes, i hate their attitude... why not lower the price of your old games?, they do it for only a very VERY select few titles.

They did with Wii Mini, but Nintendo is hand tied with Wii U/3DS development, keep developing games for Wii only would to cause make their Wii U game output worse.

I meant if they had never developed the Wii U and just kept at it with the Wii. Obviously this was not going to happen, but the Wii has more potential than the Wii U will ever have. And they dropped the Wii after 2010 leaving behind a shit ton of money to focus on a failure.

Talamius

Not trolling, but I'd buy a sub $100 Vita just for the indie lineup. Handheld Binding of Isaac, Minecraft (and not the pocket edition), and Spelunky would justify that.

Poor Dave, there is no light in these numbers! I really thought that PS4 being so popular that Vita would receive a boost, but no, it actually got worst.

Can we say that people spent too much and that probably in 2014.... nah never mind

Javier

They did. It was the Nintendo Selects series. I recall Mario Galaxy, Twilight Princess, Punch-Out and a standalone Wii Sports as part of it, as well as a few others.

Shinypogs

Sad for vita but sony wont drop support so its whatever

I feel bad that I kinda agree, as long as I get another 1-2 years of the Japanese titles coming over I'm happy. I know a lot of people won't agree and for good reason but I just can't get upset over the numbers. They are horrid numbers though.

RELIGHT

Banned
I wonder what percentage of PS3/4 owners own a PSV. It seems to me that Playstation gamers don't want a Playstation handheld whereas Nintendo gamers love handhelds.

Griss

Wow, looks like I got at least one prediction right. I said Vita 90k, and it'll be pretty close. I just don't understand why anyone thought the PS4 would make people interested in it. I don't 'get' even the very first part of that argument. I've tried remote play. Mainstream gamers were NEVER going to give a fuck about that.

I remember when I picked mine up on a trip to New York last Christmas. I knew buying it then that it was already dead, and had to accept that before purchasing it. So it's kinda funny to see that there's still some surprise at the figures a whole year and a month on.

SeanR1221

Poor little vita :(. I love mine. I doubt we'll ever seen another sony handheld again

I wonder how much ps4 sold this month. It's crazy they are still in the lead and I've literally never seen one in the wild.

What they would gain with this move? A mob of angry owners who wouldn't buy anything from them anymore?

Any American support is all but dead now. They won't continue to support the system here.

Japan will still have a degree of support, but you're looking mainly at really niche titles. Sorry for American Vita owners. You might still get token support if you buy a PS4 though.

Top Bottom