• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2013 [Up2: Xbox One/360 HW, 3DS top system of year]

But thats basically what you got? The PSP was a dead system in the west for years though. And the larger Western studios were already done with handhelds for years too. PSP ended up surviving its last couple years on the back of MonHun and some Japanese games that don't really mesh all that well with a mainstream Western audience.

Huh? The PSP had an awesome software library that puts the Vita to shame.

ascii42

I bought the Vita day 1, expecting it to be the PSP2.

Yeah. I love the Vita, but I'd love to have some of the sorts of games we got on PSP, like GTA and God of War. Getting Most Wanted was nice, I have to say, but I think God of War: Ascension would have made a nice Vita game.

fade_

They aren't pulling it. You can expect it to be around for the life of the ps4 as a peripheral that also has some of its own games, thats about it for America anyway. Just like they will continue to sell that DOA camera addon but wont be spending money making games for it or advertising it.

Go on ebay and search for how much those DOA cameras are going for right now.

MisterHero

I am a Nintendo fan and sales-ager and that plan fucking confused the hell out of me. How do you think the market would respond? You damn near blew my mind with '3DSU'. No chance in hell this would work.
Hypothetical brainfarting. :p

It doesn't have to be WiiU or 3DS, but maybe their successors. I'd like to see Nintendo try selling an optional console/portable bundle as Sony hinted with PS4/Vita and actually compliment each other functionally [while remaining independent systems].

Griss

I use it to remote play while playing PC or xbox. Basically a good second screen device to stay plugged in to PSN. PS Live, friends, PSN store. occasionally I'll play Injustice on it too.

Gotcha. You have to admit, though, that that's not exactly a compelling reason to have one around.

Duxxy3

Go on ebay and search for how much those DOA cameras are going for right now.

I was hoping to get one cheap so my nephew could play the playroom game, until I saw the price they were going for.

The most profitable item of the holiday season wasn't the xb1, ps4 or any other system... it was that damn camera.

creamsugar

ps4 ltd

cod
bf
ac
2k14
kz
nfs
KNACK
lego

example: cod>800k, 150k>logo>100k

TunaLover

I am a Nintendo fan and sales-ager and that plan fucking confused the hell out of me. How do you think the market would respond? You damn near blew my mind with '3DSU'. No chance in hell this would work.
A more down to earth idea would be redesign the Gamepad, make the screen smaller.

yon61

GT6:
US; <180k
Japan 300k
France 145k
Germany 100K

For me the GT6 sales are even more shocking than the Vita's. This must be extremely worrying for Sony seeing as how the GT franchise has always sold massively and guaranteed huge profits for them. GT5 must have left a sour taste in many mouths.

goldenpp72

Huh? The PSP had an awesome software library that puts the Vita to shame.

I'd not entirely agree with this. The PSP was put in the market and had immediate confidence which did cause quite a bit of strong support for it, but the Vita has still managed a pretty nice lineup (especially considering the DL stuff). Still, I imagine in the end the PSP will have a good deal higher quality retail library simply because the Vita is already sort of dead in terms of general support..

Valkyria

Banned
does he have access to inside info? If not, well, there's really not much evidence here

You can check his post history, and he has some info. But it makes sense, Vita has to hit 6M one of this months, 2.5M are in Japan, and we know that USA is not setting the charts on fire with Vita.We have the percentage charts from Nintendo with no numbers. That's the problem with EU, we do not have a media blow out as with NPD.

Griss

ps4 ltd

cod
bf
ac
2k14
kz
nfs
KNACK
logo

example: cod>800k, 150k>logo>100k

Quite the power gap between CoD and BF4. Killzone did pretty well considering how average it is. Not surprised at Knack's mediocre result though. Didn't sync up well with the typical US early adopter and reviewed poorly.

Woah#Vita sales.

I thought PS4 hype was having a small positive effect in other parts of the world, so at least it would perform decently in the US.

That number is abysmal. PS4/XBOne launches have left people with no money for dead systems, it seems. Let's hope it picks up a little in 2014, because anyone developing a Vita game must be on suicide watch right now.

Other than that, PS4 seems to be supply constrained worldwide while MS is focusing all their efforts in the US/UK combo.

Wii U doing Gamecube numbers, but overall weak considering Christmas sales are always a strong point for Nintendo systems. 3DS doing great as expected.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Coincidentally there were 94k new owner Vita threads in the month of December.

*Applauds*

I can't believe how enthusiastic GAF is about Vita compared to the general public. It's mind-boggling.

That would be catastrophic if it turned out to be true. My lord...
WiiU is in a similar way in Europe. It's not exactly doing well anywhere, but it's doing exceptionally bad in Europe. Bad enough to question how long it will have a shelf life there.

Two platforms performing this badly, while the prior market leader in the handheld market is seeing a drastic contraction of that market makes me queasy. Market crash is real people! And it's coming from the casuals! Batten down the hatches!

Casuals are a fleeing! They who make up 80% of a console sales are being zapped away! Some mysterious enigmatic force!

I just peed...

CREMSteve

I was hoping to get one cheap so my nephew could play the playroom game, until I saw the price they were going for.

The most profitable item of the holiday season wasn't the xb1, ps4 or any other system... it was that damn camera.
It is literally sold out everywhere, both online and in b&m locations, it's crazy.

You can check his post history, and he has some info. But it makes sense, Vita has to hit 6M one of this months, 2.5M are in Japan, and we know that USA is not setting the charts on fire with Vita.We have the percentage charts from Nintendo with no numbers. That's the problem with EU, we do not have a media blow out as with NPD.

yeah but didn't he say elsewhere that Vita was at 2 million in the US, while we know from NPD it's not even close to that?
so its probably shipments, which isn't that useful
.....now hold on a minute.....

antitrop

But thats basically what you got? The PSP was a dead system in the west for years though. And the larger Western studios were already done with handhelds for years too. PSP ended up surviving its last couple years on the back of MonHun and some Japanese games that don't really mesh all that well with a mainstream Western audience.

I bought the PSP at launch and got like 5 good years out of it. Almost double what I'll be getting out of my Vita.

It is what it is, I made a mistake.

Top Bottom